PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

the jiggler
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
The short:

Does anyone else ever avoid buying (or even smoking) a cigar specifically of because of some negative, personal association you have with the name (cigar or brand)?

The long:

I am sure most would admit that they have tried a cigar solely because the name or label resonated with them for some reason. I mean who doesn't want to try a MUWAT just becuase it has the word Uzi in it? If someone made a cigar called Appetite for Destruction, I would buy a fiver on principle alone. What I am interested in is sort of the opposite of this effect. Avoiding a cigar solely because of the name or the label regardless of the amount of positive press it gets.

Trying to not come off sounding like a nut job...I wonder if I am the only one (willing to admit it publicly) that avoids trying certain cigars because of what they are called. As an example, I avoid cigars with names like Devil's Weed, Warlock, Vudu, Ghurka's Evil or even Illusione's Illusione 2 and Crowned of Thorns because of the names. As a Christian (my hypocrisy knows no bounds), I am just uncomfortable smoking something called Evil.

Or take Swag. The word swag is so over used by my kids and kids of friends that I won't smoke one because I am sick of the word even though a good buddy and fellow member of this board really likes and highly recommends them.

I could go on but we'd quickly get into deep down places I don't like to talk about at parties.

Anybody else with me?

RWhisenand
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Not to come off sounding like a jerk, but Uzi is acceptible, but Illusione isn't?

FWIW, I don't like what I precieve as overly marketed (priced) cigars such as Gurkas. I feel like I've been taken if I overpay for a particular smoke. With that said I don't mind paying for quality, and a smoke I enjoy.

smitty81
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Who cares, they are only words. It's the taste that matters.
I'd smoke cigars called goat turds if they tasted good.

HollywoodQue
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I can understand your trend of thought. As an example, when I pledged my fraternity, my Dean's line name was Son of Satan. In return, since my line would be his last line to be the Dean of, my line name became..."The Last Seven Sons of Satan".. I refused to put the word Satan on any of my line clothes...so it became.."The Last Seven Sons".

If a name makes you uncomfortable, who are us to judge? Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

keith_mahoney
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Ha, I actually have a negative feelings about MUWAT ever since I first saw it. It just comes across as a stupid gimmick trying to cash in on kids thinking it's so cool to be gangsta.
Cigars bring peace and relaxation to my mind. I like to read a book and sit back and sip on some whiskey and water not slam some fotey's while raw-dogging some randoms.

Hem
04-10-2012, 01:16 PM

LOL! Agreed. I'm sure some of us smoke something another would call a "goat turd" that we enjoy...it is what it is.

landhoney
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
not slam some fotey's while raw-dogging some randoms.

:sh:confused::sw Huh?

TJtorpedo
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I personally don't let names and labels dictate what I choose to buy. That goes well beyond cigars, and extends into just about any consumer product out there. Some people only buy Sony TVs, some only drive American cars, some people won't buy stuff made in China, and some buy only Apple products (or intentionally avoid Apple products).

I think a lot of what you see with cigars is a carefully constructed marketing campaign to get you to buy them, as well they probably should, since the boutique cigar market is getting crowded. Some cigar manufacturers will spend a fortune making a "cool looking box" a la Gurkha, but the cigars in them aren't very well regarded. And some, such as Illusione, use an overall theme to their line of cigars.

The beauty part is, you get to decide to buy what you want or feel comfortable with.

pnoon
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
It's not English, Seth.
You can check urbandictonary.com for a translation.
I know I had to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bill86
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Did anyone else think of George Carlin based on the title? :D

To answer your question, me I don't want to try a MUWAT. I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.

smitty81
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Did anyone else think of George Carlin based on the title? :D

To answer your question, me I don't want to try a MUWAT. I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.

So if someone sent you some MUWAT sticks that were un-banded in a trade and you thought they were one of the best cigars you have ever had, Your telling me that you wouldnt buy anymore after you had found out what they were based upon the name of the cigar?

keith_mahoney
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
So if someone sent you some MUWAT sticks that were un-banded in a trade and you thought they were one of the best cigars you have ever had, Your telling me that you wouldnt buy anymore after you had found out what they were based upon the name of the cigar?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but since I am also avoiding these I will give you me answer.

If someone gifted me one even with a band on it, I would try it and give it a fair shake. What I won't do is go out of my way to spend my money on something which seems to be a gimmick.

smitty81
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but since I am also avoiding these I will give you me answer.

If someone gifted me one even with a band on it, I would try it and give it a fair shake. What I won't do is go out of my way to spend my money on something which seems to be a gimmick.

Well I can appreciate that. I just don't understand people that won't even try a cigar based on it's name. If you smoked one and liked it, what difference does it make what the name of the cigar is?

T.G
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Agreed.

Relax Josh, Bill didn't say _why_ he had no interest in the MUWAT, it might have nothing all to do with the name. All he did say that the name alone wouldn't convince him to buy it.

smitty81
04-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Agreed.

Relax Josh, Bill didn't say _why_ he had no interest in the MUWAT, it might have nothing all to do with the name. All he did say that the name alone wouldn't convince him to buy it.

He kind of did say it was because of the name unless I am not understanding him correctly.

I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.

Don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not upset or trying to start a fight. Just friendly discussion :tu

Dave128
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I bought a MUWAT. I may even smoke the darn thing this summer. I really have no trouble with the names of the cigars I buy and/or smoke. If I smoke them and like them, I'll buy more.

T.G
04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not upset or trying to start a fight. Just friendly discussion :tu

Understood.

Honestly, the biggest complaint I've heard about the MUWAT isn't the name, it's the size, 60rg, that turns people off.

smitty81
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Understood.

Honestly, the biggest complaint I've heard about the MUWAT isn't the name, it's the size, 60rg, that turns people off.

I can respect that, I'm not a fan of the big rg sizes either.

kaisersozei
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I avoid cigars with names like Devil's Weed, Warlock, Vudu, Ghurka's Evil or even Illusione's Illusione 2 and Crowned of Thorns because of the names. As a Christian (my hypocrisy knows no bounds), I am just uncomfortable smoking something called Evil.

Just to clarify, Dion wrote something a while back explaining his naming conventions for the illusione line. On the ~2~ he said:

"No explanation here is really needed. 2 is the son of God doing battle against evil, the enlightened one, the soul-saver, all forgiving."

So you're probably safe with ~2~... Now, ~1~ "The Dark Prince" OTOH, is another story ;)

icehog3
04-10-2012, 02:35 PM

I would buy a cigar named Goat Turds even if they tasted bad, simply on principle. :D

oooo35980
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I hear ya, I've occasionally rolled my eyes and passed over a cigar because of the name or packaging. Swag, MUWAT, and Zulu Zulu are three that I have avoided off the top of my head. I ended up trying the Zulu Zulu because of a good review though. Once you get past the artwork it is a really good Cigar.

So I guess I agree with you but I wouldn't let my feelings stop me from trying a cigar if I heard it was really good from a friend, or thought I would like it for some other reason.

the jiggler
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
For the record, I am totally in the smoke what you love camp. JD actually recommended this board to me on that basis when I met him at event here in Charlotte. So I would never encourage or discourage someone on a particular stick because of what I thought of the name.

Second, I don't expect my quirks to make sense to everyone and fully acknowledge that there is no rhyme or reason to why I am ok with some names and not with others.

Third, I did not do a good job clarifying that I wasn't really talking about over priced marketing hype either. In general I don't buy things for labels, but again if you do and that's your thing, then good on ya.

One of the really cool things about this whole hobby is that the aesthetics of a cigar can be appreciated on so many different sensory levels. One I was trying to explore by starting this thread was the name. Whether it be the sound, spelling, connotation, denotation, definition, whatever... We can discuss all day how much we should let it affect us, and whether that degree is good or bad or indifferent. I was just sharing that it does affect me, sometimes. I'm okay with it. I'd never put it on anybody else or pass judgement on them in any way for seeing or not seeing/understanding my quirks. I was just wondering if anybody else had any of their own they'd like to share.

neoflex
04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Let's face it if your not going to buy a cigar due to gimmicks your choices will be very slim as every cigar seems to have some story behind it. Some more well known than others but let's face it, most NCs have some kind of background story to them. Some are just more known and promoted than others.
I personally would never count a stick out due to it's name or band but everyone is different and what I choose to do others might not. That's what makes us all different. By choosing to not smoke things due to their names and conflicting with your religious beliefs is your decision and there will still be plenty of sticks to choose from if you eliminate those smokes. I personally look at it as marketing and marketing only.

keith_mahoney
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM

I apologize. I was trying to be witty. You should read that as "rapidly imbibing 40 ounce bottles of malt liquor while having unprotected sex with people unknown to me".

shilala
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll absolutely avoid a cigar or a line because of the bands, name, or person behind the cigar.
Conversely, I'll try a cigar because of the band, the name, or the person behind the cigar.
I've tried many sticks time and time again because they're just plain beautiful with beautiful bands and everyone loves them. I'll try to force myself to like them. It never works, but at least I've tried.
I've also avoided cigars because of their presentation. If the box and band are lousy looking and falling apart, or the same band has been recycled for umpteen blends, I just think the maker doesn't care. Of course, he may just want to let the cigar stand on it's strength as a cigar.
Bottom line, if a cigar doesn't appeal to me, I'm not gonna smoke it. I don't need to, there are way too many excellent cigars out there to bother with spending money on something that I probably won't enjoy.
If a brother insists and thinks I'll really enjoy something, regardless of what I think, I'm going to try it. There are many, many friends here who's opinions I value greatly, and I've got enough sense to set aside the negative feelings I've gotten from marketing in order to give something a try.
Most times I'm very pleasantly surprised.

HollywoodQue
04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I would buy a cigar named Goat Turds even if they tasted bad, simply on principle. :D

I just so happen to have a box of GT's Tom, when should I send them?

cjhalbrooks
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I have to say that i have tried alot of cigars in my last two or so years. I have tried everything from ACID to Cubans. I have my likes and dislikes. I really dont like to judge a book by its cover.

With this being said i was worried about the ACID line. I mean not to have more than one oppion. But the name really turned me off. I have to say i finally broke down bought some. I really didnt enjoy them at all. But hell who am i to tell a guy that has been in the cigar bussnes longer than i have been alive that i dont like his cigars.

In the END of my statment. SMOKE WHATEVER YOU LIKE AND ENJOY.. Icehog you need to write a review on the Goat Turds who knows maybe i will try one lol.

ApexAZ
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Ha, I actually have a negative feelings about MUWAT ever since I first saw it. It just comes across as a stupid gimmick trying to cash in on kids thinking it's so cool to be gangsta.
Cigars bring peace and relaxation to my mind. I like to read a book and sit back and sip on some whiskey and water not slam some fotey's while raw-dogging some randoms.

I smoke them because I think they taste good. It's one of the few really large ring cigars I smoke regularly. I agree that the name is somewhat of a turn off though. That's kind of how I feel about the One Shot One Kill. Silly name, but great cigar.

Bill86
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM

This.

Understood.

Definitely that.

The OP asked if people felt the same way about flashy names and who wouldn't want to buy them because of that.

So I basically replied "me". There is no name they could put on a cigar that would make me purchase it immediately. I buy what interests me flavor wise. If there's a review that sounds like something up my alley I'll buy it.

Skywalker
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I just really like the sound "Arganese" makes off of my tongue!:D

lenguamor
04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
A cigar line or a brand with a stupid ****ing name will definitely put me off. I might try it at some point if it crosses my path, but I won't seek it out.

And the simple fact is that a lot of those lines with awful names aren't marketed for me; they're aimed squarely at someone else. The whole JdN "strong as balls" thing is one example.

I am secure in myself as a cigar smoker of almost 40 years; I don't need a nudge from the Marlboro man of the new millennium...I know what I like, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks of it either.

gbum
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I do understand what Craig felt,
I am a Muslim and its forbid me to eat pigs.Even to touch a pig,i need to do set of cleaning steps...
So,even though LP flying pig of ffp is not associate with pig at all but just name,i still feel weird to buy and smoke it... Yes its so tempting after various review on how good it is...but i do feel weird... maybe thats what we call a taboo...

But i do bite the marketing hype sometimes like nub and room 101... hell,i still a noob..hehe...

to conclude that... yes ..i do understand why some people try to avoid to buy or smoke certain cigar just because of their name and brand...

they have their own reason and who we are to dictate them?

again the jewel phrase "smoke what u like,like what u smoke" :)

pnoon
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I do understand what Craig felt,
I am a Muslim and its forbid me to eat pigs.Even to touch a pig,i need to do set of cleaning steps...
So,even though LP flying pig of ffp is not associate with pig at all but just name,i still feel weird to buy and smoke it... Yes its so tempting after various review on how good it is...but i do feel weird... maybe thats what we call a taboo...

But i do bite the marketing hype sometimes like nub and room 101... hell,i still a noob..hehe...

to conclude that... yes ..i do understand why some people try to avoid to buy or smoke certain cigar just because of their name and brand...

they have their own reason and who we are to dictate them?

again the jewel phrase "smoke what u like,like what u smoke" :)

Wise words, Asyraf.