PDA

View Full Version : ARGHHHHH!!! Car Shopping H3LL

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I need a cigar and a beer!

It looks like we finally drove my wifes POC into the ground. Right now we are looking at "reasonable" and "practical" cars. Although 30-40 mpg does sound pretty good after driving my 10,000 pound V10 truck.

jledou
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Look on the internet first and then go to the dealership to test drive ... my opinion.

You can find out how long cars have been sitting on the lots, who has a large inventory they are willing to move on the type you want and in the case of my last truck, you can often work through 95% of the entire deal before you talk to the person face to face in 1-2 emails.

chaase321
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I just picked up the new 2012 Mazda3 itouring. It is awesome on gas (39 mpg). and is a pretty decent car...got the hatchback.

Just an option.

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
That's actually what I am doing...We already have a vouvher from our credit union, so I know how much I am going to spend, my interest, etc. Now it's just a matter of finding the right car for the price I am willing to spend.

I'm looking up reviews online now.

irratebass
03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I have heard good things about truecar.com anyone confirm?

forgop
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd go private party myself-why pay a dealer 20-30% more just to get one off the lot to pay commission, operating costs, etc? (Obviously assuming used is an option). There's not any more "free" money left to buy new, is there?

jluck
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I need a cigar and a beer!

It looks like we finally drove my wifes POC into the ground. Right now we are looking at "reasonable" and "practical" cars. Although 30-40 mpg does sound pretty good after driving my 10,000 pound V10 truck.

Whats the budget Steve? The wife and I are in the same boat. both our rigs are getting long in the tooth. But we did the reasonable and practical (USED CAR) route and ended up putting about 10K in repairs over a two year period. I am now leaning towards a brand new entry level base model car with warranty. something to consider. We are looking at the KIA soul or Honda fit type cars and with careful shopping without any sort of financing we should drive one home for 12K.
I do know it will be a nice financial safety blanket to just drop it off for repairs with out that dreaded call from the mechanic with the bill.
:2

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I have never been able to find "free" money. I'm thinking new just for the convienence of a new car warrentee (I have been holding the POC together with duct tape, bailing wire and prayer for years now), gas milage, and the fact that my daughter will be driving in a couple of years.

That said, I am on Autotrader, Carmax, Auction Direct, as well as some of the local dealer websites as we speak.

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Whats the budget Steve? The wife and I are in the same boat. both our rigs are getting long in the tooth. But we did the reasonable and practical (USED CAR) route and ended up putting about 10K in repairs over a two year period. I am now leaning towards a brand new entry level base model car with warranty. something to consider. We are looking at the KIA soul or Honda fit type cars and with careful shopping without any sort of financing we should drive one home for 12K.
I do know it will be a nice financial safety blanket to just drop it off for repairs with out that dreaded call from the mechanic with the bill.

Exactly. I am looking at Ford Fiesta (I have a contact at the local dealer that I trust, although I may be leaning away from it due to some preliminary reviews) Honda Fit, etc. Something in that territory.

forgop
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM

How many times do you incur warranty repairs in the 3 year/36k mile window? There's a reason why they only offer that in most cases, which is because there's virtually nothing that goes bad during that window. Also, there are plenty of good mechanics available that you can find through craigslist or whatever that aren't going to charge you $100/hour to repair as well and will allow you to provide your own parts (or buy discounted through them).

Look at the reliability of any make/model you're looking at historically and it'll give you some sort of idea what type of window you're looking at. My Avalon has ~ 103k miles on it and I think it has the reliability to get me another 100k miles without any significant repairs (unless I just jinxed myself). It's a 2005, but with laser cruise control, rain sensing wipers, heated/cooled seats, navigation...just what kind of new features would I get in a newer model until this one eventually craps out? Nothing.

Ogre
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Good luck brother. Also look at comfort. We tried 4 cars before Leigh found one I could actually sit in.

forgop
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Edmunds.com is another good site for reviews.

jluck
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Exactly. I am looking at Ford Fiesta (I have a contact at the local dealer that I trust, although I may be leaning away from it due to some preliminary reviews) Honda Fit, etc. Something in that territory.

Keep us (me) posted on what you choose. I will take any info I can get to render a decision. We wont be buying for a few more months...or more.

GTsetGO
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
i suggest going to dealers websites and getting the online quotes. and look at dealers in other areas of the country.

when we were looking for my wifes car, i emailed dealerships up near DC and got better prices than the ones in my backyard.

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
How many times do you incur warranty repairs in the 3 year/36k mile window? There's a reason why they only offer that in most cases, which is because there's virtually nothing that goes bad during that window. Also, there are plenty of good mechanics available that you can find through craigslist or whatever that aren't going to charge you $100/hour to repair as well and will allow you to provide your own parts (or buy discounted through them).

Look at the reliability of any make/model you're looking at historically and it'll give you some sort of idea what type of window you're looking at. My Avalon has ~ 103k miles on it and I think it has the reliability to get me another 100k miles without any significant repairs (unless I just jinxed myself).

The POC is a 97 that has topped 225,000 miles. I guess it is entitled to die.

GTsetGO
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
also look at certified used cars.

my 2008 TL-s has a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty from the factory on it right now.

Sauer Grapes
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Where are you located? We are selling our 2007 Altima Hybrid that has 55.5K miles on it.

Steve
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
FL

Sauer Grapes
03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that'd be a bit too far. :-) Anyway, good luck on the search!

forgop
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
The POC is a 97 that has topped 225,000 miles. I guess it is entitled to die.

Yes, unfortunately you held onto it just before you hit the major repairs. All I'm saying is that while there's that "good feeling" of owning a new car, do you think for a second buyers as a whole come out ahead?

Manufacturers charge a premium on something that shouldn't break down anyway and offer a warranty that doesn't really touch their reliability. All you're "betting" on by buying a new car with a warranty is what you're buying is a piece of junk to break down in that amount of time. :2

Steve
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Oh, I hear ya brother. That's been my position for years. All I'm doing is exploring all options at the moment.

The last (and first) new car I bought was in 86...

OLS
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Exactly. I am looking at Ford Fiesta .
So was I when I got out of my Colorado 18 months ago. But as I drove past the dealership, I DROVE PAST
the dealership...the car was TINY and not very sharp looking. I read really good reviews on all the talking
points, but once I saw it, all it was was good on gas.

So I drove next door and picked out a NEW Chevrolet Cruze. A much better looking car and the same gas
mileage. HOWEVER, despite the fact that I might be experiencing truck withdrawals, I can't recommend
either vehicle anymore. I give the Cruze a 7 out of 10 possible stars. It is great to still be pumping the
same dollar amount of gas that I pumped into my truck, despite the fact that gas is MUCH HIGHER now!
But I am not in love with it. I CAN recommend the car my sister got, a Civic. Those new cars look great,
drive great, SIP gas and do it with more style than my Cruze. I don't OWN one though, and that'd tell the tale.
From outside looking in, I bet my Cruze looks good to people.

MurphysLaw
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I have heard good things about truecar.com anyone confirm?

The truecar price on my wifes new car was well above what we paid, she really gave them a :gary

You're on the right track with the sites you're checking Steve, we did a LOT of research before spending a dime driving to see a car.

longknocker
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Honda For My Vote!:tu

GTsetGO
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM

i am with this guy.

i have two hondas in the drive way right now and wouldn't have it any other way.

forgop
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Toyotas aren't too shabby either, but I'm not aware if they have something that competes in the same market though.

tengel78
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Car shopping is one of my least favorite things. It's fun and all to have the new car, but I'd almost rather get a root canal instead of going through the shopping process.

hammondc
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd go private party myself-why pay a dealer 20-30% more just to get one off the lot to pay commission, operating costs, etc? (Obviously assuming used is an option). There's not any more "free" money left to buy new, is there?

This is usually how I buy. However, we are looking for a new ride for the wife and the to-be-born-in-September baby. We have narrowed down to a few options. One of them is Subaru Outback. They hold their value incredibly well and right now I can get 0.9% financing.

hammondc
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
But I am not in love with it. I CAN recommend the car my sister got, a Civic. Those new cars look great,

Fr me, the civic is in the top 3 ugliest cars on the road now. Hell, even Honda admitted it. :2.