PDA

View Full Version : oasis

danatkins
03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
hey guys just bought a cigar oasis has anyone used one before my cigars seem to want to dry out even though everything reads right in my humi hoping this will keep it going good gotta keep my iron horses nice and tasty

CigarNut
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Have you checked/calibrated/tested your hygrometer? It could be that your humidor does not seal well and is letting all that moist air out.

chippewastud79
03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
hey guys just bought a cigar oasis has anyone used one before my cigars seem to want to dry out even though everything reads right in my humi hoping this will keep it going good gotta keep my iron horses nice and tasty

How big is your humidor? :hm

dwoodward
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Sounds like your hygrometer needs calibrating. Do you have more info bro? :D

danatkins
03-31-2012, 06:40 AM
it's an analog hygrometer it's off by about 30% but it would never move. I get the lil woosh sound when i close the lid so it's sealing. I just like the idea of setting and forgetting on the oasis seems to be working pretty good. the size of my humidor is i think about a 100-200. Wouldn't want to try and fit 200 in there though, espicially with the oasis i can fit a box of 6x50's but it's tight lol.

CigarNut
03-31-2012, 07:34 AM
You should get s digital hygrometer. Also, the "whoosh" when you close the lid does not guarantee a good seal.

The oasis is probably overkill for a humidor that size. Just my :2

danatkins
03-31-2012, 07:37 AM
it's the smaller oasis about the size of 3 cigars not the thicker one

CigarNut
03-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Even so... That's a lot of humidification for a desktop humi.

danatkins
03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
just adjust it to what you want and it works it only gives whats needed

chippewastud79
03-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Even so... That's a lot of humidification for a desktop humi.

:tpd:

Definitely overkill for such a small humidor, you don't need active humidification until at least an end-table size. I would be wary of condensation on the lid because of it blowing moisture directly onto the wood. I would spend the money on some bead tubes rather than active humidification. :2

Tbagley
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
I was given an Oasis, its read out was waaaaay off. I've read else where that this has been a common theme with it.

shilala
03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
just adjust it to what you want and it works it only gives whats needed
See, that's what you'd think. It's not at all true, though.
When a person uses things for purposes which they are not intended, bad things happen. A cigar oasis is very oversized for a desktop humidor. It's mere presence and construction can (and will) easily run a desktop humidor over 80% humidity, never allowing the humidor to recover a lower setting. That's when mold grows and ruins your cigars.
You haven't stated the size of your desktop, and you've been given a number of excellent suggestions. If you want to lean on hundreds of collective years of experience, it helps to give the information that's asked of you.
At that point, the guys can help, let you know what to expect, and help you avoid creating a bigger problem for yourself.

danatkins
03-31-2012, 08:06 PM
well i have the gel in there and it didnt work worth a crap. i'm going to be upsizing my humi soon

Tbagley
04-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Go with the Beads, and never look back! Money well spent.

chippewastud79
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
well i have the gel in there and it didnt work worth a crap. i'm going to be upsizing my humi soon

As stated, gel is not the best medium for humidification. Some HCM or rh beads would suit your needs much better than an Oasis or gel in a humidor as small as yours. :2