PDA

View Full Version : I blew up my face...

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 12:07 AM
So I have this big royal torch lighter I use sometimes, today I had just refilled it and went to use it when BOOM. The stem blew out the end sprayed butane everywhere and set my head and shirt on fire. It was good times, so I'm sitting here with one eyebrow, no arm hair, and waiting for the blisters to start to come upon my face, oh and no eye lashes either. Stupid cheap lighter...

emopunker2004
03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
:r

austin3trio
03-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I so sorry! But I thought you were suppose to "Stop, drop and roll", so I was screaming that and throwing glasses while he was trying to take his shirt off.

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Stop drop and roll does not apply when your face is on fire, unless you want to roll around on your face.

Zeuceone
03-24-2012, 12:18 AM
LOL but hopefully the hair grows back.

bobarian
03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear this brah, hope it isnt too bad and heals quickly.

This is one reason I never light a cigar in my mouth. I hold the cigar in my hand and toast the end while rolling the cigar until it is completely lit. Only then do I take a puff. There are several Youtube videos on lighting a cigar with both matches and a lighter. Check them out. :2

icehog3
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
ROFL smiley, really?

Hope you are OK, and definitely heed Bob's advice about lighting cigars.

austin3trio
03-24-2012, 12:59 AM
He is hurting a lot right now. He doesn't light the cigar while in his mouth ever. He was just trying to fix the torch and refill it.

icehog3
03-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Maybe a trip to the E.R. to make sure it isn't too serious?

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 01:06 AM
It isn't too bad, I've had some basic first aid training in the military, just 1st degree over the right side of my face, hurts like hell but it will heal, the wife is still scared from seeing my upper half on fire I think. She was screaming "STOP DROP AND ROLL" at the top of her lungs and throwing things. The torch is pretty good size and I have to admit the fireball was pretty huge, it could have done alot more damage than it did.

icehog3
03-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Good deal, 1st degree burns shouldn't blister. :tu

Be careful, Sir.

emopunker2004
03-24-2012, 01:21 AM
ROFL smiley, really?

Hope you are OK, and definitely heed Bob's advice about lighting cigars.

Yeh my bad. Kinda insensitive of me :sl. Just the tone I got from his post. Hope all is well OP

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 01:31 AM
No worries I'm fine, I'll probably live and everything :r

dwoodward
03-24-2012, 01:32 AM
That sucks bro, horrible situation to be in. I caught my pant leg on fire at work, luckily I noticed it early and was able to pat it out (had my heavy work gloves on).

I don't think stop drop and roll works very well when your doused in a flammable liquid. I thought that putting those out usually included CO2 extinguishers or blankets to smother the flames.

The good news is that you are okay. Will certainly make me think next time I am using my torch lighter. However, I match light about 90% of the time.

cobra03
03-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Im glad to hear your ok. That could of really messed you up. But on the bright side, eyebrows, and arm hair are highly over rated. Just dont let the Anti- smoking nuts find out. They might add "spontaneous facial combustion due to catastrophic lighter failure" to the list reasons why we shouldnt smoke.

Gooner
03-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Glad to hear you're ok.

688sonarmen
03-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Oh my, thats a big fear of mine when using torch lighters. There is a lot of pressure which equals power in them. I really hope you are of man, bics do the job just as well! The brand was "Royal Torch"?

cjhalbrooks
03-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Well first i am glad you are fine.

and second don't let your wife stop you from smoking just because she is afraid for you

CigarNut
03-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hear this brah, hope it isnt too bad and heals quickly.

This is one reason I never light a cigar in my mouth. I hold the cigar in my hand and toast the end while rolling the cigar until it is completely lit. Only then do I take a puff. There are several Youtube videos on lighting a cigar with both matches and a lighter. Check them out. :2:tu :tu
I've been doing this as well -- I think you get a better light this way because you are not drawing the hot flame into the cigar.

hammondc
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
IF there was ever a "pics, or it never happened" thread ----THIS IS IT!

RevSmoke
03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Ouch! Hope all is well. I was reading something about egg whites on first degree burns - get the yolks out, and blend them up with a fork, and then apply them to the burn.

I don't know how long after the burn you can do this, but I know of almost miraculous effect when done immediately.

Will pray you heal speedily.

cmitch
03-24-2012, 09:21 AM
My friend Freddie's face caught fire and I threw a glass of Black Label Jack on him. I mean, it's good intentions that count, right?

CigarSquid
03-24-2012, 09:45 AM
:np

smitty81
03-24-2012, 09:47 AM
So I have this big royal torch lighter I use sometimes, today I had just refilled it and went to use it when BOOM. The stem blew out the end sprayed butane everywhere and set my head and shirt on fire. It was good times, so I'm sitting here with one eyebrow, no arm hair, and waiting for the blisters to start to come upon my face, oh and no eye lashes either. Stupid cheap lighter...

:r:r:np

bobarian
03-24-2012, 09:53 AM
What is it that you guys find so amusing about burn victims? Lots of pretty pictures can be found with a Google search, but there is no need for the OP to post pics for your amusement. :sh

pnoon
03-24-2012, 09:56 AM
What is it that you guys find so amusing about burn victims? Lots of pretty pictures can be found with a Google search, but there is no need for the OP to post pics for your amusement. :sh

:tpd:

CigarSquid
03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Not for amusement. He said it was good times. I am curious to see exactly what kind of damage that could cause.

I am not meaning to laugh at it what so ever.

If the thread starter took my post pics deal that way, I am very sorry.

Hope all is well and no blisters come.

BTcigars
03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Damn sorry to hear that! Hope your recovery is speedy.

Islayphile
03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
It's a shame you didn't get any pics....would've been perfect for the

Pictures of you smoking! thread

Jasonw560
03-24-2012, 10:38 AM
As a human being, I sincerely hope you're okay.

The paramedic side of me would like to see pics, just for an assessment tool for 1st degree burns.

The cigar smoker in me wants to see them as to what could happen with a lighter like this. As well as the damage to the lighter.

smitty81
03-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Pretty sure if he's on here talking about his singed eyebrows and hair, he's probably ok.

It would be a whole different story if he had to go to the hospital for the burns.

I AM GLAD that your ok on that note.

Silound
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Sadly, this is why I use matches mostly.

I had one literally rupture in my hand while testing it at the shop (very old Colibri, one of the good ones). The valve fell apart where the plastic fuel tank had become brittle, and the last little poof of remaining fuel escaped violently and flared all around my hand for a moment (ignited by my other hand that held a soft flame lighter to test the fuel flow). Pure luck that I didn't suffer more than a minor flash burn on the top side of my knuckles.

68TriShield
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Oh damn.Glad it wasn't worse man...

cmitch
03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Pretty sure if he's on here talking about his singed eyebrows and hair, he's probably ok.

It would be a whole different story if he had to go to the hospital for the burns.

I AM GLAD that your ok on that note.

But there's no way to tell from an online post if he's mumbling through bandages . . .

smitty81
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
But there's no way to tell from an online post if he's mumbling through bandages . . .

he said he was ok.......................vvvvvvvvvvv

Maybe a trip to the E.R. to make sure it isn't too serious?

It isn't too bad, I've had some basic first aid training in the military, just 1st degree over the right side of my face, hurts like hell but it will heal, the wife is still scared from seeing my upper half on fire I think. She was screaming "STOP DROP AND ROLL" at the top of her lungs and throwing things. The torch is pretty good size and I have to admit the fireball was pretty huge, it could have done alot more damage than it did.

I give up

jluck
03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Glad your Ok man!

I give up

Smitty had a good idea finally! :gary :r

smitty81
03-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Glad your Ok man!

Come on people.

Have you ever watched Americas funniest home videos?

You laugh at those people and I'm positive some of those people have to go to the hospital for medical help.

I don't think i really need to argue my case anymore.

He's not seriously hurt, burnt some hair and minor burns.

god, relax.

pnoon
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Come on people.

You laugh at those people and I'm positive some of those people have to go to the hospital for medical help.

god, relax.

Put the shovel down and move on.
:2

bobarian
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM

:sh His streak of intelligent posts lasted 20 minutes and one followup. :bh

CigarNut
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
We could try something really different and talk about cigars...

yourchoice
03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Hope everything heals okay and you don't end up with any scars...glad to hear it wasn't too serious.

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Haha, I don't do pictures. Especially with singed facial hair and blisters. Here is a pic of the culprit though, complete with the stem that blew out the bottom. It's a Regal not a Royal, my bad, and that's a 12 inch tile.

http://s16.postimage.org/dwtjpsndx/IMG_20120324_113052.jpg

688sonarmen
03-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Geez, that had to suck balls man. Need a Ronson?

oooo35980
03-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I still have my xikar punch, the operating button gets hot real fast which is why I started using the torch. Adjustable flame, it could go from a torch to a regular flame, tilting head. Except for the exploding thing it was a very good torch for 20 bucks.

icehog3
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Come on people.

god, relax.

God is not relaxed?

Skywalker
03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I hope you are doing better, Isaiah!

This happened to another CA member. I remember he almost blew up his hand.

I'm always careful not to lite right after I refuel.

BTW - A friend lit a cigar in his mouth with a torch and lit his nose hairs on fire! Ouch!

Skywalker
03-24-2012, 05:04 PM
God is not relaxed?

:rlzNo discussion of theology!:r:r:r

BC-Axeman
03-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Lawsuit Lottery?

I had the blue flash and missing eyebrow thing happen to me after a refill once. The valve was leaking. I had a lighter that unpredictably sent up a three inch flame, too. I always had to light it away from me first to see what was going to happen. It surprised a friend of mine and singed his forehead once when he asked to use it and I forgot to warn him.

Oh, and I thought this was another bomb thread when I clicked on it. :D

drjammer
03-25-2012, 08:47 AM
:tu :tu
I've been doing this as well -- I think you get a better light this way because you are not drawing the hot flame into the cigar.

:tu

danatkins
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
yikes man that's y i never used my zippo's after i fueled them and usually waited a while on my torches i've got a hot hand before from zippo after fueling the flame jumped from the lighter to my other hand my mom about shat she was like umm what just happened, as i douse my hand in the sink. glad your ok dude

pnoon
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
yikes man that's y i never used my zippo's after i fueled them and usually waited a while on my torches i've got a hot hand before from zippo after fueling the flame jumped from the lighter to my other hand my mom about shat she was like umm what just happened, as i douse my hand in the sink. glad your ok dude

Punctuation is your friend, Dan.
Not trying to be the grammar police but without it, it makes your posts difficult to read.
:2

bobarian
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
He's got a comma in there! :D

Dave128
03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
That really sucks, brother. Glad you're ok.

GTCanuk
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Can we say law suit

jluck
03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Can we say law suit

let's not