PDA

View Full Version : Kauai Cigar Vintage Series

oooo35980
03-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Been trying to improve my palette, grabbed a pen and paper for this cigar to write some things down and I thought I'd share.

It is a Hawaiian Puro, I really want to like this cigar.

It smells a bit funny before lighting, kind of like wet cardboard, but with a bit of sweetness. The pre-light draw doesn't have a lot of flavor, what is there is just sweet tobacco and the wet cardboard still coming through The wrapper leaves a funky taste on my lips that I can't identify. The draw is perfect though.

I lit her up, very, very little flavor. I can finally put my finger on the taste the wrapper was leaving on my lips, it comes through in the smoke. It tastes like dirty water, anyone whose been swimming in a lake and gotten a mouthful of water knows what I mean. So far it's just wet cardboard, dirty water, and not a whole lot of anything else.

About an inch and a half in there is some Kerosene type flavor on the retrohale, the cardboard is gone and the dirty water is being eclipsed by some leather and wood. It tastes a bit like being outside while someone is smoking a brisket or something, oak or hickory I'm not all that familiar with different woods.

Now we're talking, I taste Caramel and the cigar is picking up in spice, I can't taste the dirty water, wet cardboard, or the kerosene anymore. It also tastes a bit salty, seawater maybe. I get a whiff of manure, that can't be right... maybe something on the wind? The manure smell starts to get stronger, more sulfur like, man I thought this smoke was turning around...

The kerosene is back, in spades, I want to keep going but can't, this particular flavor is just too much. So I give up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried one of these, they run about $14.00. It was pretty bad and I wanted very much to like it.

I'd say 5/10

http://s17.postimage.org/av4vij6e7/IMG_0064.jpg

T.G
03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried one of these,

A couple years back, I brought one of the Kauai Cigar Company cigars to a herf, I don't know which line was from, it came in a rectangular wooden tube marked with Kauai Cigar Company and a tax stamp inspired Kauai Cigar Co sticker sealing the wooden end cap. I don't remember if it had a band or not.

It was certainly what I would call a "different" taste, I passed it around to a few people to try since we were all curious and we pretty much all came to the same description "different but not that impressive".

From what I recall, wet earth, spice, leather and the pond water you describe were all there. I don't remember any kerosene though.

Skywalker
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the warning... I mean review!:tu

TJtorpedo
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Mmmmm...pond water and kerosene!

dwoodward
03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Mmmmm...pond water and kerosene!

:dr :r

E.J.
03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I did a review on a Kauai Cigar Co. cigar(not the Vintage Series) a while back, my results were similar....:r

HollywoodQue
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Seems like a real dog turd would taste better....thanks for the heads up

trendo
03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Like most things here, I feel like they are made for a tourist market. I suppose that by the time they smoke it and find its terrible, they are already on a plane back home.