PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning with Boveda 84%... What target RH?

shopkins82
03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm seasoning a small 20-25 stick desktop humidor with a Boveda 84% Seasoning Packet. I'm about 6 days in and my RH is holding at 75% with the Boveda packet in. I know I should target holding 75% empty, but what should my target RH be before removing the Boveda pack? 75%? 84? Or should I just go 2 weeks and then check for a consistent empty RH and then let my 65% packs do the rest from there on?

Thanks!

dwoodward
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
2 weeks. Do NOT stop seasoning, cedar usually (in my experience) starts to absorb at around 70-75% so your right in that range, in a couple days it should start to rise again. When it gets to 80% or 2 weeks you are probably fully seasoned.

2 weeks is a minimum. I made the mistake of trying to shorten it, as has many others, don't make our mistake, it's very very crucial to properly season.

CigarNut
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I would let it go longer - it cannot hurt to wait longer and it can certainly help.

Did you calibrate or test your hygrometer before you started the seasoning process? It's important to know that your hygrometer is accurate.

bobarian
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

montecristo#2
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I know that is what everyone says, but if you are going to be using packets and your cigars are already properly humidified, I would probably say you are good.

I have seasoned a much larger humidor in less time using the packets.

Now, if there is no need to rush, let it go longer. When I have used the seasoning packets I have never gotten the RH to go above 80. I have seasoned three humidors using them in the past.

shopkins82
03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
RH is up to 78% today. Hygrometer is calibrated via Salt Test... It's +2%, i.e. it reads 80% but is actually 78%. Cigars are already hydrated via 65% in a tupperdor with a Boveda pack. I have a second 65% pack on the way, so I'll wait at least until it arrives to load the new humi up, but I may go ahead and see how it holds RH without the seasoning pack in the next day or two.

ZachF88
03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
how important is it to fully season a humidor? I use beads and it seems to always keep proper rh. Also, how often must one re-season?

T.G
03-18-2012, 09:21 PM
how important is it to fully season a humidor?
It's a good idea. Sometimes though, you can get away with cutting it short. If the humidity plummets drastically when you add cigars and the humidifier, then you cut it too short and should consider taking your cigars back out and going back to whatever method you were using to season.

I use beads and it seems to always keep proper rh.

Then you're fine.

Also, how often must one re-season?

If you are actively using the humidor, never. If you stop using it and remove the humidification device(s), let it sit for a month or so, then it's probably a good idea to re-season. It might also season faster the second time around because the wood might not be as dry as it was the first time.

ZachF88
03-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks T.G.!

T.G
03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Welcome. :tu

shopkins82
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I got up to 80% corrected on day 8 and it held steady there for all of day 9. Beginning of day 10 I pulled the Boveda to check the seal. It dropped quickly to 70% corrected but has stayed right at 70% for going on 24 hours now. I'm somewhat shocked by this since the humi is one of the cheap Perdomo branded "SureSeal" humis you see on CigarBid all the time. I picked this one up on eBay for $9 shipped. There were some gaps at the miter joints of the inner lid lining lip that worried me so I did go ahead and go over the whole inner lip with painters tape, even though it passed light test and dollar bill test everywhere.

Should I put in my 65% Boveda packets and give it a day to regulate to 65%, or can I put the 65% packets and cigars (already at 65% in Tupperdor with the Boveda packs) in together?

Thanks!

chippewastud79
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
I would drop it all in :2

dwoodward
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I would drop it all in :2

:tpd:

shopkins82
03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds like everything goes in tonight.

I obviously ditched the cheap foam disc humidifier that came with the humi... thought about modding it to hold beads but it was molded shut in one piece. Instead, I exacto-knifed off pieces of the magnetic strip and applied to the back of my hygrometer and now it sticks on the inside of the lid where the disc would have gone... if that ends up taking up precious cigar space, there should be room for the hygro on the end since this thing isn't deep enough to accomodate anything longer than a Robusto, so Churchills and the like have to go long-ways with a gap on the end.

shopkins82
03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
24 hours after putting in my sticks (around 25 mostly ~50 gauge and a few small gauge CCs I just received in a very generous NST) along with two 65% Boveda packets my RH is holding at steady 68% corrected. Should I see this drop to 65% corrected since I'm using 65% packets? Is it possible my sticks were a bit over-humidified from being in the Tupperdor with the Boveda packs? Thanks!

T.G
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
It might drop a bit, but it will likely take some time. For what it's worth, Boveda packs can be +/- 2%.

CigarNut
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Keep in mind that the more stuff you have in your humidor the slower things change. It can take weeks for cigars to fully adjust to RH changes.

shopkins82
03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
RH has settled down to right at 65% corrected and held there. Pretty good for a $9 humi that isn't Tupperware!