PDA

View Full Version : BCS?!?!

theycallmedan'lboone
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Somehow, this is all going to make sense one day...

ucla695
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
LOL!

I think the only thing that makes sense is an eight team playoff. Until then, there will always be controversy.

csbrewfisher
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
B*llsh*t college shenanigans

Mark C
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
LOL!

I think the only thing that makes sense is an eight team playoff. Until then, there will always be controversy.

:tpd: BCS ain't about finding the best football team, it's about making money.

ucla695
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM

True!!

Doogie
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm a Bama fan but i hope they lose buy 1. then we have 7 one loss teams and 1 undefeted team. it screams playoff

theycallmedan'lboone
12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I just think the big 12 is screwy... 3 way tie...

Mark C
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I just think the big 12 is screwy... 3 way tie...

Take a look at the ACC, seems like half the teams in the conference have the same in-conference record.

silentjon
12-04-2008, 10:06 AM
With the BCS, they will be very few years when there isn't some controversy.

zmancbr
12-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Yup that sums it all up... as long as they are making a killing they could care less about the controversy. What would be really funny is to watch OU beat Mizzou and then Florida beat Bama and watch OU and Texas stay 1 and 2... I know that's a long shot, but what if lol... I mean Florida is way behind Texas in the computer rankings and even beating bama won't fix that completely... so what if the voters don't vote Florida up to #2?

This could be more controversy.... :hn

On a side note I blame the Big 12 for the controversy this season. If there are two teams that are so close in rank and talent that there is no clear winner... it shouldn't come down to the BCS ranking... they should have a playoff game for those teams to prove it on the field. I know UT already beat OU, but it seems the only way to end that discussion would be for one final game for all the marbles. And no TT shouldn't be in that playoff, they barely beat Texas and got owned by OU, so they deserve their BCS rank.

silentjon
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Yup that sums it all up... as long as they are making a killing they could care less about the controversy. What would be really funny is to watch OU beat Mizzou and then Florida beat Bama and watch OU and Texas stay 1 and 2... I know that's a long shot, but what if lol... I mean Florida is way behind Texas in the computer rankings and even beating bama won't fix that completely... so what if the voters don't vote Florida up to #2?

This could be more controversy.... :hn

On a side note I blame the Big 12 for the controversy this season. If there are two teams that are so close in rank and talent that there is no clear winner... it shouldn't come down to the BCS ranking... they should have a playoff game for those teams to prove it on the field. I know UT already beat OU, but it seems the only way to end that discussion would be for one final game for all the marbles. And no TT shouldn't be in that playoff, they barely beat Texas and got owned by OU, so they deserve their BCS rank.

If Florida beats Alabama and Oklahoma beats Mizzou, Florida would need to be first in both the coaches and Harris poll to jump Texas.

funnymantrip
12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
If Florida beats Alabama and Oklahoma beats Mizzou, Florida would need to be first in both the coaches and Harris poll to jump Texas.

I hate the Gators with all of my being and even with that I would think they got robbed if they beat Alabama and don't get in the game.

silentjon
12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I hate the Gators with all of my being and even with that I would think they got robbed if they beat Alabama and don't get in the game.

All I know, there will be some very deserving teams not playing in Miami this year.

zmancbr
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Yup... that is about how I saw the breakdown as well... unless the polls really help Florida get up there... they won't make it to #1 or #2... Texas is too high in the computers and polls... and OU beating the crap out of Mizzou should only help Texas' strength of schedule since they are the only team to beat OU...

While I would love to see Texas play OU in the big dance... that would be a huge ripoff for Florida to be a 1 loss team, win the SEC and still not get to go...

silentjon
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Yup... that is about how I saw the breakdown as well... unless the polls really help Florida get up there... they won't make it to #1 or #2... Texas is too high in the computers and polls... and OU beating the crap out of Mizzou should only help Texas' strength of schedule since they are the only team to beat OU...

While I would love to see Texas play OU in the big dance... that would be a huge ripoff for Florida to be a 1 loss team, win the SEC and still not get to go...

If Texas does play for the NC, their resume is impressive. They beat the #1 ranked BCS team and their only loss came against a top-ten team on the last play of the game made by the best receiver in college football.

theycallmedan'lboone
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
too true.

zmancbr
12-04-2008, 09:01 PM
If Texas does play for the NC, their resume is impressive. They beat the #1 ranked BCS team and their only loss came against a top-ten team on the last play of the game made by the best receiver in college football.

Yup... that was their argument... but several teams can say that... OU only lost to a very good Texas team and has dominated everyone else... Florida has only had that minor blemish and then came to life after ward... Bama has been good all season and only has one more game to be undefeated... so its a tough crowd for sure... lots of argument for the playoff system, but it won't happen.... :rolleyes:

Jdbwolverines
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I think that they should play a 16 team tournament. Let all 11 Div I-A conference champions automatically get a bid and the 5 at larges. while letting all 11 conference champions get a bid may seem like a waste, it instantly takes out the argument for undefeated schools in smaller conferences. Utah, Boise St. and Ball St. are all 12-0 this year and should at least get a shot at it. 5 at larges bids also leaves enough for the the non conference champions. There are 6 "BCS" conferences, so it works out that if all conferences are equal, the runner ups will get to get to go except 1. In other years,like this, more from one conference will go ahead of another, say the more from the Big 12 instead other another from the ACC. No extra rule clauses for independents either (a la Notre Dame). If you are good enough to get one of the 5 at larges, fine, if you want an auto bid, join a conference.

Also, some people, those that are pro BCS and anti-playoff, say that a 16 team or even 8 team tournament adds to many games. Each lower division (Div. I-AA, Div II and Div. III) all have a 16 team playoff so it has to work. At most, it adds 3 extra (4 if you make it all the way to the final minus 1 bowl game that would have been traditionally played). How many worthless non-conference games against teams like SW Louisiana Tech do teams need to play. Drop a couple of these and add an extra week, problem solved.

If you play it out on the field, you have no right to complain about getting screwed out of a National Championship. If you can't make a 16 team field either, you have no right to be playing for one either.

jonharky
12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I am hoping The wolverines turn things around soon so they can get back to bowl games

ucubed
12-05-2008, 04:31 AM
that's ok...florida will win