PDA

View Full Version : Traditional humidifier with Boveda for regulation?

shopkins82
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
For the last month or so I've had only a small ~15 stick tupperdor that has served me well. So far I've maintained Rh with a Boveda 72% pack (only RH the B&M had) and trusted it without a hygrometer.

I recently picked up a small basic ~20 stick desktop humidor that came with a basic sponge-based humidifier disc that attaches to the lid magnetically. I have a DealExtreme Hygrometer on the way too, but it will obviously be a few weeks before it arrives. I'm currently seasoning with a Boveda Seasoning Kit, but I had an idea...

Once a humidor is seasoned, would it be of any benefit to provide humidification with a traditional humidification device but also use a Boveda pack to regulate humidification? It seems this would extend the life of the Boveda pack while still having the benefit of 2-way RH regulation.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

bobarian
03-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Leave out the sponge humidifier. You will probably need two Boveda packs for a small humidor. You can recharge the Boveda packs by putting them in the Tupperware with a wet paper towel for about a week. :2

Ismith75
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Can't see it being beneficial. The boveda packs are great for storing your smokes in bags but my experience with them in small humis hasn't been great. Try some beads, even a quarter of a pound would be sufficient for your size set up. They are much more precise and virtually hassle free.:2

bobarian
03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Can't see it being beneficial. The boveda packs are great for storing your smokes in bags but my experience with them in small humis hasn't been great. Try some beads, even a quarter of a pound would be sufficient for your size set up. They are much more precise and virtually hassle free.:2

Um, No. 4 oz of beads is enough for 2160cu inches according to the Heartfelt caluculator. That's a 15x12x12 humidor a bit more than a 20ct. A 1oz tube would be more than sufficient. But I assumed the OP was looking for a way to use his current Boveda pack.

One problem with many small humidors is the seal. After seasoning leave your hygrometer inside with no cigars or humidification. If the high/low readings are within 5% the seal should be ok.

shopkins82
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm not questioning the sage advice of others and understand I need to verify that the humi seals and holds RH (it does give a decent whoosh when it closes with a bit of vacuum resistance when opened and no light leaks)...

but...

From a theoretical perspective, would a traditional humidification source (disc, beads, any 1-way source) to provide RH and a Boveda (2-way) to regulate RH not be a good idea? I'm not married to the idea, just curious if the drawbacks are practical ones or a flaw in my thinking.

oooo35980
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Your boveda might end up absorbing moisture and not letting any of it go while the sponge just keeps adding humidity and you keep recharging it, that is the only practical problem I can see.

Ismith75
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Um, No. 4 oz of beads is enough for 2160cu inches according to the Heartfelt caluculator. That's a 15x12x12 humidor a bit more than a 20ct. A 1oz tube would be more than sufficient. But I assumed the OP was looking for a way to use his current Boveda pack.

One problem with many small humidors is the seal. After seasoning leave your hygrometer inside with no cigars or humidification. If the high/low readings are within 5% the seal should be ok.

Bob is wise...read 200 for some reason on this end. Thanks for the fix :tu . The only problem I can see is the constant fight between the two way process of the pack and the possibility of over humidification from the traditional foam. Someone can speak more elegantly on this than I though I'm sure. Good luck.

shopkins82
03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Shouldn't the Boveda only absorb any moisture ABOVE the rated RH, and release moisture if BELOW the rated RH? Hence acting as a regulator supplementing the main humidification source (even if that source is beads instead of a sponge)? Again, if I doesn't work in practice I wouldn't be overly shocked or surprised, just validating my though process...

oooo35980
03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Well if the sponge adds moisture to keep the humi at say 70, the boveda wants it at say 68, then the sponge would release while the boveda absorbs, until the boveda gets saturated, then you've just got the sponge anyway. Depends on your setup I guess.

shopkins82
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
That makes sense. I will need to see what RH the humi holds at (without cigars, then with) using whatever RH source I choose before possibly adding the Boveda. I'm hoping the hygrometer will show up around about the time I'm done seasoning.

ApexAZ
03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I thought beads will also absorb excess moisture provided you don't over hydrate them.

bobarian
03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
I thought beads will also absorb excess moisture provided you don't over hydrate them.

I dont see where he is using or asking about beads. :sh

He specifically asked about Boveda and the sponge humidifier that came with his humidor. :2

Theo Cincy
03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I have 4 bovida's in my 150 count and it works.well. Just my personal experience....

oooo35980
03-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I use bovedas as well, they work fine, no sponge necessary.

ApexAZ
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I dont see where he is using or asking about beads. :sh

He specifically asked about Boveda and the sponge humidifier that came with his humidor. :2

He does, actually:

I'm not questioning the sage advice of others and understand I need to verify that the humi seals and holds RH (it does give a decent whoosh when it closes with a bit of vacuum resistance when opened and no light leaks)...

but...

From a theoretical perspective, would a traditional humidification source (disc, beads, any 1-way source) to provide RH and a Boveda (2-way) to regulate RH not be a good idea? I'm not married to the idea, just curious if the drawbacks are practical ones or a flaw in my thinking.

My interpretation of this is that he believes beads do not absorb moisture (1-way source). Maybe I misunderstood.

shopkins82
03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I was mistaken originally thinking that beads were 1-way...