PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to find rod bearings?

Jefft72
03-11-2012, 03:05 PM
You wouldn't think it would be so hard, but I found out today that no auto parts store in the area carries them and all would have to order from out of state.

Good news is that the nasty noise from inside my motor looks to be a spun bearing and doesn't seem to have affected the caps.

Bad news is that the truck is out of commission till I can get the bearing set in hand (4-7 days).

Nobody rebuilds engines anymore? 03 Dodge 5.7 and nothing available. Poo.

Oh well, if this is all the problem is then I will be happy.

I just wanted to share after spending the better part of Sunday with pouring rain coming down. Time to dry off and warm up.

LostAbbott
03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Yup you pretty much have to do an engine rebuild yourself these days. I plugged an oil port and had to rebuild my 99 Saab engine a while back. Nice to do though as you will know you have a strong block to keep things rolling with.
Posted via Mobile Device

SvilleKid
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
If you spun a bearing, you need to have crankshaft checked before you buy bearings. Chances are that the journal will require turning (machined down to smooth). If so, all the rod journals will need turning, and you will need to buy oversize bearings. They usually come in 0.15, 0.30 and 0.60 oversize. The machine shop that turns the crank will tell you what they turned it to, and what thickness of bearings to buy. Hopefully the crank isn't damaged too bad to have machined.

I used to use Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) for parts. They usually had parts for my 396's and 427's, as well as parts for the 4.3L chevy engines that were in my pick-up and Astro van. Haven't rebuilt an engine in probably 10 years, but Summit is still in business, and was usually very competitive on prices.

Good luck!

pektel
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
If you spun a bearing, you need to have crankshaft checked before you buy bearings. Chances are that the journal will require turning (machined down to smooth). If so, all the rod journals will need turning, and you will need to buy oversize bearings. They usually come in 0.15, 0.30 and 0.60 oversize. The machine shop that turns the crank will tell you what they turned it to, and what thickness of bearings to buy. Hopefully the crank isn't damaged too bad to have machined.

I used to use Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) for parts. They usually had parts for my 396's and 427's, as well as parts for the 4.3L chevy engines that were in my pick-up and Astro van. Haven't rebuilt an engine in probably 10 years, but Summit is still in business, and was usually very competitive on prices.

Good luck!

Pretty much sums up what I was going to post. Great advice.
Posted via Mobile Device