PDA

View Full Version : Travel questions

jakesmokes
03-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey all..

I am traveling to Hawaii soon. I want to bring a bunch of cigars with me.. some of which are from locations that might generate questions. I am wondering.. anyone every have any trouble traveling domestically with cigars? Do they inspect them, etc? I'll probably remove bands from everything just in case.

Any thoughts?

Ashcan Bill
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Anytime I fly I always have a cigar caddy with me. I usually toss a cheap cutter and soft flame Bic in it along with the cigars. It goes in my carry-on, which always goes through the x-ray machine. Have yet to have anyone express any interest in it. Even if someone someday wanted to check it out, I wouldn't worry about bands. That isn't what they're concerned with.

CigarNut
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Travelling domestically with cigars is fine, bands on or off -- your choice. Most cigar cutters are TSA approved but just to be safe I pack my good ones in a checked bag and carry cheap ones with me.

Soft flame lighters are fine as carry on. Torches will be confiscated.

Get yourself a little cigar caddy or a small tupperware container for carrying your cigars with you and you will be fine. For peace-of-mind I always carry my cigars with me and do not check them. If you check them they might disappear on you.

Enjoy your trip!

icehog3
03-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I have traveled domestically with similar cigars on a couple dozen flights, and never had an issue. :2

awsmith4
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I have traveled domestically with similar cigars on a couple dozen flights, and never had an issue. :2

:tpd:

I always carry on as well

icehog3
03-09-2012, 09:59 PM
:tpd:

I always carry on as well

Always. :tu

Fia
03-10-2012, 02:00 AM

Ditto!!! TSA doesnt care about that stuff. Just if you put a torch lighter in your carry on bag.

jakesmokes
03-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the torch lighter issue. I would probably have lost them.. thanks!

Any cool places to smoke on the big island?

Oddly enough, the four seasons is a smoke free restore (except for designated areas).

jakesmokes
03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh.. and.. what about butane? That can't fly can it? I know whenever I order it it has to come ground. Can you travel with it?

14holestogie
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh.. and.. what about butane? That can't fly can it? I know whenever I order it it has to come ground. Can you travel with it?

No. Torches and butane are prohibited.

icehog3
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM

If they check your checked bag, they will confiscate it. Obviously a no-no in carry on. You are better off filling your lighter and packing it in your checked bag in an approved container....or do like I used to do, and put it in the pocket of a pair of jeans in your checked bag....never lost one doing that.

jakesmokes
03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
What a pain. I'll make sure to bring some cigar matches as well.. just in case.

poker
03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey all..

I am traveling to Hawaii soon. I want to bring a bunch of cigars with me.. some of which are from locations that might generate questions. I am wondering.. anyone every have any trouble traveling domestically with cigars? Do they inspect them, etc? I'll probably remove bands from everything just in case.

Any thoughts?

TSA is not US Customs. You'll be fine, trust me.

jakesmokes
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
One more question.. sorry.

What about Tubos? Do they want to open those since they are metal?

T.G
03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
One more question.. sorry.

What about Tubos? Do they want to open those since they are metal?

Never had an issue with tubos. Their x-ray scanner can see through the tube, they know it's a cigar.

I've only had my traveldor visually checked once by TSA, back when they first took over screening from all the private contractors. I opened the case, the person gave me that "you dirty smoker" look, never touched anything in the case and sent me on my way.

MrClean
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
The crack staff at the KC airport missed a Ronson torch that my wife had in her purse. She didn't discover until she bought a new purse the other day and was transferring everything over. :r
But the last couple of days I've been lucky enough to use a torch instead of the Bic. :tu

levrac68
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree, domestic flights are no problem. No torch lighters and since there's no customs to worry about, you could leave the bands on.