PDA

View Full Version : Liga Privada T52's - Odd smell?

Stevez
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Ok, I've smoked a lot of cigars and I know that I do NOT have the most refined palate. Many folks here are very good at distinguishing flavor profiles and describing them. Sometimes I too can detect different flavors. But, I like what I like and know what I enjoy. I had a LP T9 awhile back and loved it. Been searching for more and bought a box of the new T52's about a week ago. I've had 4 and am not a huge, huge fan, especially at the price point. But I have noticed a very distinct smell that is not pleasant and takes away from the enjoyment. It's an acrid smell like plastic burning; you know it's unpleasant when you smell it. Anyone else exerienced anything like this? Thanks. Steve

BeerAdvocate
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I have not experienced anything like that with the T52s. In fact it is one of my Top 3 favorite cigars. I wish I had a box.

Islayphile
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sounds like they need to take a break for a little while in your humi

:2

SteelCityBoy
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I believe I read somewhere before that the specific type of wrapper used on the Liga Privada sticks puts off an oily type of smell. I actually enjoy the smell. All the LP's I have smoked have put off a great deal of white smoke and the only smell I can think to describe the scent they put off is "oily" but IMO in a good way.

Maybe someone else can enlighted us more on what type of wrapper is used and if it in any way can cause this.

JenksAnejo
03-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe someone else can enlighted us more on what type of wrapper is used and if it in any way can cause this.

Pretty sure the wrapper used is a habano; I doubt that would have anything to do with the smell. :2

T.G
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure the wrapper used is a habano; I doubt that would have anything to do with the smell. :2

Habano isn't a type of tobacco per se, it just means that the specific variety of tobacco can be traced back to Cuba. For example, Corojo, Criollo, Pelo de Oro, these are all examples of "Habano". On the other side, Connecticut is not a habano as it has no origins there, same with Sumatra which originated in Indonesia, or Cameroon (Africa). You get the idea.

Can't say I've ever smelled something I would describe as burning plastic from a T52. How long ago did you receive the cigars? If it's recently, you might just want to stick them in the humidor for a few months.

nick2021
03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I have noticed the smell you talk about when I bought two, decided to leave the other one in the humi for about a year. Maybe I should take it out and give it a try.

JenksAnejo
03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Habano isn't a type of tobacco per se, it just means that the specific variety of tobacco can be traced back to Cuba. For example, Corojo, Criollo, Pelo de Oro, these are all examples of "Habano". On the other side, Connecticut is not a habano as it has no origins there, same with Sumatra which originated in Indonesia, or Cameroon (Africa). You get the idea.

Hmm.. My bad; everywhere I've seen listed it as a Habano or American Habano wrapper.

I learn something new everyday!

Habano wrapper/shade” is used in the non-Cuban industry to describe cigars that are Colorado or Colorado Maduro

T.G
03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Hmm.. My bad; everywhere I've seen listed it as a Habano or American Habano wrapper.

It is a habano, it's just that "habano" isn't a specific variety of tobacco. It's any tobacco of Cuban ancestry, and in this case, it's just being grown here - hence "American Habano"

You weren't wrong, I was just trying to clear up something that is oft misunderstood due to the use of simplified descriptions for marketing purposes.

I learn something new everyday!
Habano wrapper/shade” is used in the non-Cuban industry to describe cigars that are Colorado or Colorado Maduro
I can't think of any cigar manufacturer or vendor who uses "Habano" as a color description. I suspect whomever published that might have jumped to conclusions regarding the most commonly seen shades of these tobaccos of Cuban descent and mistakenly thought that the term was associated with the shade.

lenguamor
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Take the cellophane off first.

:r

No, seriously...I have never experienced that phenomenon.

JenksAnejo
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I understand Tom I appreciate your information! Or else I woulda that a habano was a wrapper! :tu

Any idea what the T52 wrapper is?

LigaPrivadaT84
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM

:r:r:r

alwayslit
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM

LOL,
Have a couple of boxes of the 52's and they smell fine.

backwoods357
03-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Didn't notice it when I smoked mine the other night, I pulled it out just to give it a quick sniff and couldn't put it down.

Timbo147
03-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I understand Tom I appreciate your information! Or else I woulda that a habano was a wrapper! :tu

Any idea what the T52 wrapper is?

T52:
Wrapper - Connecticut Grown Stalk Cut & Stalk Cured Sungrown
Binder - Plantation Grown Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler - 4 Different Nicaraguan leaves + 1 Honduran Leaf

Stevez
03-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks all; I'll let mine set for awhile. Steve

jluck
03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Odd smell.....hummmm....You didn't get these from Bill Clinton did you?