PDA

View Full Version : Colts to Release Peyton Manning

mase
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Peyton gone...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

E.J.
03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty interested to see if he can go to Minny or Miami and make some noise...

Really wish Denver could make something work to bring him in....

E.J.
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I should add, I hope wherever PM goes, that he is successful & healthy....

mase
03-06-2012, 08:38 PM
It will be really weird to see him in another jersey. As you said, I hope he returns when ready and healthy.

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the Windy City Manning. Jay can be a backup
Posted via Mobile Device

jsnake
03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Kansas City is going to snag him first........ I hope.

elderboy02
03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I am not surprised. Andrew Luck will be much cheaper.

irratebass
03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
I had seen a few weeks ago someone from Dallas tweeted that he was going there, but no confirmation....we shall see.

Taki
03-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Its a shame though to see him go!!! I think it will be Miami..he already has a house there and they are in desperate need of a QB

Blak Smyth
03-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Payton I respect, his little brother, not so much.
I think if you put Payton behind a good O-line he will continue to produce.
Good luck to Payton, I admire his class!

Islayphile
03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Its a shame though to see him go!!! I think it will be Miami..he already has a house there and they are in desperate need of a QB

I agree

The Dolphins were in all of those games that they lost the 1st half of last year and having Manning may just be enough to push them over the edge to contend for a Wild Card birth in the AFC East.

kelmac07
03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
I see the Jets making a push for him. Sanchez isn't the man in NY.

Stephen
03-07-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't know why, but it annoys me how big of a deal ESPN is making this. It's not like the writing wasn't already on the wall. Further, outside of a select few (Dan Marino, Walter Payon, and Barry Sanders come to mind) the all-time greats don't start and finish their professional football career with the same team.

Remo
03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I see the Jets making a push for him. Sanchez isn't the man in NY.

Let's hope not, that is a sinking ship and I would hate to see him end a great career on that ship!

MikeyC
03-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I don't know why, but it annoys me how big of a deal ESPN is making this. It's not like the writing wasn't already on the wall. Further, outside of a select few (Dan Marino, Walter Payon, and Barry Sanders come to mind) the all-time greats don't start and finish their professional football career with the same team.

:tpd:

I think we all saw this coming and unfortunately few players in this day and age of free agency and salary cap start and finish their career on the same team. I didn't believe for a second the initial reports that said the Colts would keep Manning and Luck on the roster for a year or two.

I think Peyton is a GIANT question mark right now. How healthy is he really? Is he going to get any healthier with time? How injury prone is he at this point in his career? I think he'll land somewhere and get a contract HEAVY with incentives and a smaller than he's used to base salary. I'd be shocked if he came back the same player he was in the past but he'll probably still be a decent QB and better than some options teams currently have on their rosters.

Stephen
03-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm pretty interested to see if he can go to Minny or Miami and make some noise...

Welcome to the Windy City Manning. Jay can be a backup
Posted via Mobile Device

Kansas City is going to snag him first........ I hope.

I had seen a few weeks ago someone from Dallas tweeted that he was going there, but no confirmation....we shall see.
Two dark horses not yet mentioned:
Arizona - playing with the best wide receiver in football with your home games in a controlled environment? Would also give the team a much needed identity it currently lacks.

Seattle - Would've made the playoffs last year if there had been a competent quarterback under center. Seattle is young; this would buy them a couple of years to find a future signal caller while still remaining competitive.

To me, either Miami/Kansas City/Arizona make the most sense.

smitty81
03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I am not surprised. Andrew Luck will be much cheaper.

Hopefully Luck dosn't turn into another Ryan Leaf. I'm kind of suprised to see the Colts letting Manning go but at the same time I guess I'm not. I can see how Manning is getting old and they don't want to take the risk on him.

I also see Manning as still being able to perform as long as his surgery went good and such. I believe he still has 3-5 years left in him.

I think some team will really be blessed with his knowledge of the game. Manning IMOP is the most knowledgable NFL QB out there.

Hopefully he stays in his confrence so he can play against the colts, It will be fun to watch him play.

shilala
03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm with Stephen on all points. The writing was on the wall for this one. I think the Colts have a long struggle ahead without Peyton in the organization, but that's another thread.
I understand Miami is in the mix according to the Miami Herald and the billboards they've posted around town. There's two websites devoted to trying to bring Peyton to Miami.
I just do not see him there, regardless of the fit. Flynn makes a lot more sense for a lot less money.
I think Arizona makes the most sense, and if I was betting, that's where my money would be. It gets Peyton out of the cold and into a place that's done this sort of thing before with Kurt Warner. They know how to make it all work.
I have no idea where any of these teams are financially, or if any of them can come at Peyton with anywhere near 28 million, but we'll see. I'd like to take a look at the cap room for each team and see what other constructive ways they can defer money to make the best possible guess, but from a guy who's got a backful of metal, I can positively say that that high pressure desert is gonna feel good on Peyton's multiple surgeries. That environment is going to be a huge sell for an old, cobbed up man. :tu

kelmac07
03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Hopefully Luck dosn't turn into another Ryan Leaf. I'm kind of suprised to see the Colts letting Manning go but at the same time I guess I'm not. I can see how Manning is getting old and they don't want to take the risk on him.

The Colts had 28 million reasons to let him go. I truly believe this was ALL about the all mighty dollar.

smitty81
03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
The Colts had 28 million reasons to let him go. I truly believe this was ALL about the all mighty dollar.

Oh I'm sure it was. Too bad they couldn't have signed him back for at least a year or two year to play/coach luck. I don't see payton taking the backseat to anyone though no matter how bad he plays.

I truley think if he dosn't start some where, He will just retire. He will make a damn fine QB coach for someone though.

shilala
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Dollars had a lot to do with it, Mac. The Colts absolutely suck. They need the money to rebuild.
They have to weigh the opportunity to build with Luck and put a team around him against a few years with Peyton and no team around him. The latter has worked for a lot of years, but Peyton was in good shape. Now he's a big gamble at best.
I think we'll find that Peyton doesn't have a problem with this move. He's done anything he can to protect that organization from his failing health, up to and including rewriting his contract so that the Colts didn't have to pay him the last 8 million they paid him while he was broke down.
I truly believe Peyton and Jim Irsay made this decision together,m and that Peyton will be a part of the Colts organization for a long, long time once he's done with this "play for another team" thing. I don't think it's going to go well, either. Peyton is way too screwed up.
Ultimately he's going to be a lot more valuable for his head than he is for his body if he can avoid ending up in a wheelchair.

jonumberone
03-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't think Peyton will play for a cold weather team.
Being a dome QB for his career and with his neck injury, it just makes sense.
If he does play for a cold weather team, it will be for the Skins. Why?
For the $, of course.
And who is foolish enough to overpay for a 36yr old, injured QB?
Dan Snyder!
I'm willing to bet he's had an erection since he found out Peyton was being released!

Stephen
03-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Oh I'm sure it was. Too bad they couldn't have signed him back for at least a year or two year to play/coach luck. I don't see payton taking the backseat to anyone though no matter how bad he plays.
He was under contract. The problem was that he was due a $28 million roster bonus (tomorrow I think). He had already said that he was not renegotiating his contract.
I truley think if he dosn't start some where, He will just retire. He will make a damn fine QB coach for someone though.
If (and that's still a big if) he can pass a physical and show that he can competently throw the football, he won't have any trouble finding a starting gig.

Stephen
03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
For the $, of course.
Dan Snyder!
I'm willing to bet he's had an erection since he found out Peyton was being released!
I see the Redskins making a move for RGIII.:2

smitty81
03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm with Stephen on all points. The writing was on the wall for this one. I think the Colts have a long struggle ahead without Peyton in the organization, but that's another thread.
I understand Miami is in the mix according to the Miami Herald and the billboards they've posted around town. There's two websites devoted to trying to bring Peyton to Miami.
I just do not see him there, regardless of the fit. Flynn makes a lot more sense for a lot less money.
I think Arizona makes the most sense, and if I was betting, that's where my money would be. It gets Peyton out of the cold and into a place that's done this sort of thing before with Kurt Warner. They know how to make it all work.
I have no idea where any of these teams are financially, or if any of them can come at Peyton with anywhere near 28 million, but we'll see. I'd like to take a look at the cap room for each team and see what other constructive ways they can defer money to make the best possible guess, but from a guy who's got a backful of metal, I can positively say that that high pressure desert is gonna feel good on Peyton's multiple surgeries. That environment is going to be a huge sell for an old, cobbed up man. :tu

The thing is though, He is a risk and he knows it. I think he will take a lot less to play than what the Colts were paying him healthy. I think he will take the money because he wants to play and he knows that no one is going to fork out that kind of cash on a QB that just went through what he did. Hell, no one has seen him actually even play yet.:2

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

What makes you think Peyton Manning can coach so well for?

smitty81
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
What makes you think Peyton Manning can coach so well for?

Anyone that has been around that long, knows the game and his position that well should be able to teach a few things to the new guys.

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great QB coach.

He has such a great understanding of the game and such. :2

Stephen
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Anyone that has been around that long, knows the game and his position that well should be able to teach a few things to the new guys.

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great coach.

Actually, rare is the superstar player that makes a good coach in ANY sport.

shilala
03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Actually, rare is the superstar player that makes a good coach in ANY sport.
Peyton's understanding of defenses and offense, and his ability to see things and call the perfect play time and again does give him an edge. The way he leads his team, another edge.
His personality, another edge.
I agree with you, but I've long thought that if a guy can make the transition, he's one that can. I think he'd make a better fit as a head coach than an offensive or quarterback coach. Quarterback coach being the least likely.
He's got enough experience in running a good part of that club, and his close ties with ownership and upper management really give him a leg up if anyone has one.
I have no idea if it's something he even wants to do, it's just a sneaking suspicion. I can see him in that role, I guess. I'd far rather see him in the booth. This season. But that's just cause I'm selfish. :D

Stephen
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Peyton's understanding of defenses and offense, and his ability to see things and call the perfect play time and again does give him an edge. The way he leads his team, another edge.
His personality, another edge.
I agree with you, but I've long thought that if a guy can make the transition, he's one that can. I think he'd make a better fit as a head coach than an offensive or quarterback coach. Quarterback coach being the least likely.
He's got enough experience in running a good part of that club, and his close ties with ownership and upper management really give him a leg up if anyone has one.
I have no idea if it's something he even wants to do, it's just a sneaking suspicion. I can see him in that role, I guess. I'd far rather see him in the booth. This season. But that's just cause I'm selfish. :D
Samurai Mike says hi. Also, I think it'd get incredibly old incredibly fast of him blaming everyone else for when things go wrong (although admittedly he'd gotten better at this the past couple of seasons).

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM

I know that not everyone can coach just because they can play well but I truely believe that he would be a great QB coach.

In my opinion, Peyton just comes off with a large ego. Hard to blame him with his talents. But I don't see him being a good coach. He just doesn't seem humble enough or down to earth.

smitty81
03-07-2012, 08:53 AM
In my opinion, Peyton just comes off with a large ego. Hard to blame him with his talents. But I don't see him being a good coach. He just doesn't seem humble enough or down to earth.

What does that matter as long as you know your crap and can teach it.

goomer
03-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Part of teaching it is having people listen. I've seen very knowledgable people make horrible teachers because no one will listen to them due to personality issues.

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM

You don't think that kind of stuff matters in coaching? Being a humble person and not letting your damn ego get in the way plays a big role in coaching. Understanding your players and relating to them on their level is important in coaching, no?

smitty81
03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
You don't think that kind of stuff matters in coaching? Being a humble person and not letting your damn ego get in the way plays a big role in coaching. Understanding your players and relating to them on their level is important in coaching, no?

yes, it is a part of coaching.

There is a handful of GREAT coaches that also have a high ego and are hard to play for..........seems they are doing great.

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM

So it does matter then;)

yes, it is a part of coaching.

There is a handful of GREAT coaches that also have a high ego and are hard to play for..........seems they are doing great.

chippewastud79
03-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Most great coaches weren't good players, and even more of them never played at the highest level. I don't forsee Peyton with a headset on, he is more likely to end up in a front office than on the sideline. :2

mosesbotbol
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
He should go where ever Randy Moss lands.

Neuromancer
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM

MIAMI!!!

Fingers-crossed...

IndyRob
03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
It will be a different town without him, that is for sure. We're going to miss Peyton Manning on and off the field. He did a lot for Indianapolis, but at the end of the day... We have to think about our team's future, and freeing up that amount of money can really bring in some fresh new talent.

shilala
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
It will be a different town without him, that is for sure. We're going to miss Peyton Manning on and off the field. He did a lot for Indianapolis, but at the end of the day... We have to think about our team's future, and freeing up that amount of money can really bring in some fresh new talent.
Indianapolis won the qb lottery twice in a row now. Someone's looking out for them, that's for sure. They really need to learn how to build a team now. It'll sure help if they're gonna contend.
I think Luck will be huge, but I don't think he's a one-man team like Peyton, or at least an impact player like him. That remains to be seen, though.

Stephen
03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Indianapolis won the qb lottery twice in a row now. Someone's looking out for them, that's for sure.
...And drafted John Elway, Bert Jones, and picked up Johnny U up off the scrapheap after the Steelers cut him during training camp. Ridiculous. Just plain ridiculous.

dave
03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
For the $, of course.
Dan Snyder!

Even Snyder doesn't have enough money to bring Peyton to same division as Eli.
Put your money on an AFC team. And not NY or Denver. I'd say Miami or KC.

BeerAdvocate
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I would love to see him in AZ throwing to Larry Fitz.!!!!

Stephen
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Even Snyder doesn't have enough money to bring Peyton to same division as Eli.
Put your money on an AFC team. And not NY or Denver. I'd say Miami or KC.
Good point which further makes me believe that the Redskins are going after RGIII. If I had to put a hundred dollar bet on a parlay on how the quarterback carousel will shake out, it'd look something like this:

Cleveland - Flynn
Miami - Manning
Washington - RGIII
Arizona - Kolb ($$$)
NY Jets - Dirty Sanchez ($$$)
KC - Cassel

shilala
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I really don't think Cleveland is smart enough to pick up Flynn, and if he's heard any talk from the dickwads around here, I'd be shocked to even think he'd consider Cleveland.
I really think Manning ends up in AZ, and I still don't think Cleveland makes a qb move unless it's after RG3.

Stephen
03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I really don't think Cleveland is smart enough to pick up Flynn, and if he's heard any talk from the dickwads around here, I'd be shocked to even think he'd consider Cleveland.
I really think Manning ends up in AZ, and I still don't think Cleveland makes a qb move unless it's after RG3.
Investigating it a bit further on my lunch break, the Cardinals would have to get something done, and quickly, because Kolb is due a sizable bonus in a week and a half. Don't underestimate the power of the cheapskate that resides in Arizona.

shilala
03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I just got a text from rotowire that says 12 teams contacted Manning's representatives (concerning his neck) yesterday.
If any of you guys missed the press conference, it's worth looking for. If there was any animosity between Irsay and Manning, it sure wasn't evident. It was obvious they reached the release decision together based on their committment to the franchise.
It was quite the tearjerker, too.

shilala
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Here's the press conference. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RioLe4ea4)

dave
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM

As a devoted GB fan, I continue to be amazed at the Flynn buzz. He's got unlimited potential, sure - but am I the only one reminded of Matt Cassel everytime Flynn's name comes up? I'd be more than happy having him remain GB backup, but if we can get some serious value, it might be a good time to sell high.

shilala
03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
I listen to sports radio most of the day every day. Whenever the Flynn topic comes up, I hear the same thing. He's only ever played in two games. I have no idea where these tards get this info, or even what they're alluding to as these "two games", but even if it were true, I'd think his last one would be enough to sell him to anyone.
I've been in love with Matt Flynn since the first time I saw him play. He's clearly an amazing quarterback from an organization that cranks out incredible quarterbacks, all it takes is a look at some tape.

Stephen
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
As a devoted GB fan, I continue to be amazed at the Flynn buzz. He's got unlimited potential, sure - but am I the only one reminded of Matt Cassel everytime Flynn's name comes up? I'd be more than happy having him remain GB backup, but if we can get some serious value, it might be a good time to sell high.
As a devoted GB fan, you should also remember guys like Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselbeck. In any case, it doesn't matter. The time to franchise tag a player has came and went, and Flynn went untagged. Whatever compensation we receive from him will be by way of a compensatory pick.

shilala
03-13-2012, 07:39 AM
From what I understand, Seattle and Kansas City are off Peyton's radar altogether.
It's down to Miami, Denver, Arizona, and Tennessee.
I think Tennessee and Denver are just getting played. Tennessee is the worst 9-7 team I've ever seen. Look at their wins/losses last year. They really did almost nothing remarkable.
Arizona pulled their act together at the end of the year and did some exceptional things.
Miami did nothing remarkable all year, but I put that directly on Moore and Henne who had nothing going on at all. I didn't look at their D, but they did well against the rush (who runs the ball?). I've contended Miami is a QB away for the last 3 years.
Peyton has to know that the low pressure in Denver will play hell on his neck (spine injuries go apesh1t when the pressure is low, it renders most anyone with back/neck problems almost useless).
That alone has to rule out Denver, or put a huge dent in it. His cold weather stats also play a big part.. I think he went there out of respect for Elway, to sniff them out and gather intel. Although it might be an easy division win if you add Peyton and Wayne. He has time to pull them together and make a run at the hardware, but to do it in the cold? I really don't think so. I can't believe he thinks that'd fly, either.
Realistically, I think we have Miami and AZ. I think he's a bad move for Miami, but I don't think they care, economically. Peyton will sell an INCREDIBLE amount of jerseys and revitalize that sinking ship overnight, and he's a value at any cost. I also don't think they care if he ever throws a ball, and I mean that literally. If he doesn't, that creates buzz and puts them on page one. That matters. With a Manning purchase, they immediately go from NFL obscurity to all the talk on every show, radio station, party, you name it. They become an instant brand sensation. They sell 10,000,000 jerseys before the season even starts (I'll have one for my collection).
I think Flynn changes that team and makes them instantly better and a force for the next five plus years, and he's a long-term perfect fit, but the economics and politics rule that out now that Peyton is available. That said, Miami probably takes Peyton and Tannehill if they're smart. That's not even smart, that's genius. If Tannehill has the right stuff (he certainly does physically) and Peyton takes him under his wing, he's going to be a great football mind. I don't know enough about Tannehill to lay any creedence to that hypothesis, so you guys will have to analyze that.
Arizona went 7-2 out of their last 9 last year, they have Fitzgerald, add Peyton and Wayne and you have a nice offense that plays in the sun.
It's a coin-flip between the two teams, for my money.
My gut has had AZ from the get, just because they've done this kind of thing before and know what they're doing. Miami is a zoo. I don't know if Peyton wants that distraction while he gets healthy, because I truly believe he wants to play, first and foremost. Miami will put a lot of star pressure on him and demand a ton of limelight from him, and I don't think Archie will let him play there.
But AZ is in the NFC. That could be the deal breaker, putting him head to head against Eli. At this point in their careers and Eli having two rings, I'd think that doesn't weigh so much with Archie.
It's a real tough call, isn't it?
I'd take a bet that he lands in AZ.

shilala
03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
One last thing...
I don't think Peyton is about cashing in, as evidenced by him rejecting the $100,000,000 guaranteed deal the Colts wrote him last summer. Had he accepted it, he's still a Colt and gets that $28,000,000 last week. He did it himself with the future of the Colts organization and his love for Jim Irsay and the Colts in mind. It also speaks volumes about what Jim Irsay thinks of Peyton.
Peyton literally saved that franchise with that move, and you never hear anything about it. He's a class act all the way, and you hear all about his ego all the time. That's a super-selfish, egotistical move, for sure. :rollseyes:
Point being, Miami will pay him absolutely anything to play there. Literally anything. $100,000,000 guaranteed for 5 years? Done in a heartbeat and he never has to throw a ball for them, have a pro day, or prove anything. His word is is worth $100,000,000, easy. That's because he's earned that respect. If he says he can and will play, that's good enough.
His paycheck is the least of his worries, and I don't think he'll take guaranteed money from his next team except for the first year, and I think he does that simply to see that they are truly committed to him. I'd not bat an eye if he gave it back were he not to play. That's the kind of class he has.

Weeze and I have been huge Peyton fans for years, he's one of the very few ball players that I've ever thought of with great respect, where we'd have them over for dinner. Elway is another. Hines Ward is another, but not on the same plane as Peyton and Elway. Tony Dorsett is another (for me, I can't speak for Weeze, she's a HUGE Elway fan, me, not so much, but I get it.)

I know Stephen is in love with Marshawn Lynch, but I don't think he has Lynch on that plane.
Do you guys have any football players you think of like that?

Stephen
03-13-2012, 08:37 AM
One last thing...
I don't think Peyton is about cashing in, as evidenced by him rejecting the $100,000,000 guaranteed deal the Colts wrote him last summer. Had he accepted it, he's still a Colt and gets that $28,000,000 last week. He did it himself with the future of the Colts organization and his love for Jim Irsay and the Colts in mind. It also speaks volumes about what Jim Irsay thinks of Peyton.
Peyton literally saved that franchise with that move, and you never hear anything about it. He's a class act all the way, and you hear all about his ego all the time. That's a super-selfish, egotistical move, for sure. :rollseyes:
Point being, Miami will pay him absolutely anything to play there. Literally anything. $100,000,000 guaranteed for 5 years? Done in a heartbeat and he never has to throw a ball for them, have a pro day, or prove anything. His word is is worth $100,000,000, easy. That's because he's earned that respect. If he says he can and will play, that's good enough.
His paycheck is the least of his worries, and I don't think he'll take guaranteed money from his next team except for the first year, and I think he does that simply to see that they are truly committed to him. I'd not bat an eye if he gave it back were he not to play. That's the kind of class he has.

Weeze and I have been huge Peyton fans for years, he's one of the very few ball players that I've ever thought of with great respect, where we'd have them over for dinner. Elway is another. Hines Ward is another, but not on the same plane as Peyton and Elway. Tony Dorsett is another (for me, I can't speak for Weeze, she's a HUGE Elway fan, me, not so much, but I get it.)

I know Stephen is in love with Marshawn Lynch, but I don't think he has Lynch on that plane.
Do you guys have any football players you think of like that?
To be fair, I love Marshawn Lynch the football player, not Marshawn Lynch the human being. That being said, it looks like he's turned a corner in his life and his gotten his head out of his arse. Good for him.

I'd be afraid that Manning wouldn't like the pot roast and I'd get the, "Manning Face.":r

As far as a class act, I know it's not fair, but whenever I think of Peyton Manning one of the first things that pop into my mind is him teabagging a female trainer at Tennessee.

But as to your question, the answer for me is Drew Brees.

shilala
03-13-2012, 09:11 AM
To be fair, I love Marshawn Lynch the football player, not Marshawn Lynch the human being. That being said, it looks like he's turned a corner in his life and his gotten his head out of his arse. Good for him.

I'd be afraid that Manning wouldn't like the pot roast and I'd get the, "Manning Face.":r

As far as a class act, I know it's not fair, but whenever I think of Peyton Manning one of the first things that pop into my mind is him teabagging a female trainer at Tennessee.

But as to your question, the answer for me is Drew Brees.
Good choice with Brees. I want you to tell me why he doesn't have a contract after we're done with this conversation. That absolutely baffles me...
How the hell did I never hear about the teabagging incident? It wasn't actually a teabagging, he dropped the sack and crack on her face al a Ben Affleck. That was in '96 when he was still a kid in college. I'm sure he imagined it was a perfectly acceptable stupid kid/jock move at the time, I wonder what this cost Archie? The suit was brought against Peyton and Archie both.
If I recanted 3% of the stuff I did at that age, you 1.) wouldn't believe it and 2.) would give me a pass based on the man I am now.
Hell, even at this point I think I'd throw the nuts over your shoulder just to get a laugh. :lr
I do see where you're coming from, though. Had I known about that way back when, I may have a different perception of him now. But from this end going backwards, and the lack of dirt from there forward, I think he got the message. :tu

Stephen
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Good choice with Brees. I want you to tell me why he doesn't have a contract after we're done with this conversation. That absolutely baffles me...
Umm, the Saints are idiots? I've got nothing. All-pro quarterback who's an even better human being who joined not only a franchise in disarray, but an entire city and led the charge in helping rebuild both.
How the hell did I never hear about the teabagging incident? It wasn't actually a teabagging, he dropped the sack and crack on her face al a Ben Affleck.
Yeah, there's really not a name for that though, is there? Teabagging definitely gets the point across.
That was in '96 when he was still a kid in college. I'm sure he imagined it was a perfectly acceptable stupid kid/jock move at the time, I wonder what this cost Archie? The suit was brought against Peyton and Archie both.
If I recanted 3% of the stuff I did at that age, you 1.) wouldn't believe it and 2.) would give me a pass based on the man I am now.
Hell, even at this point I think I'd throw the nuts over your shoulder just to get a laugh. :lr
I do see where you're coming from, though. Had I known about that way back when, I may have a different perception of him now. But from this end going backwards, and the lack of dirt from there forward, I think he got the message. :tu
I don't hold it against him per se, because we all did stupid stuff when we were 21 years old (and I can't even imagine being 21 years old and having an entire state worship the ground you walk on). It just makes me smirk to hear people talk about how classy he is, then picturing him sitting on a female trainer's face like it was a toilet seat.:r

shilala
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Umm, the Saints are idiots? I've got nothing. All-pro quarterback who's an even better human being who joined not only a franchise in disarray, but an entire city and led the charge in helping rebuild both.
I can't imagine he's asking for anything unfair. If he's asking to be paid like the best qb in the league, they sure can't argue that. 20 million a year is a bit more than Brady, and he's definately worth it. That's a pittance compared to what he brings to the organization's bottom line.
I have no idea what he's asking, but if he wants 25 million/year for 5 years with half of it guaranteed, he's worth every dime no matter what calculator they use.
If Peyton ends up getting paid here in the next week or so, it's going to cost the Saints big. He only gets 14.5 mill under the franchise tag, I understand he's livid over a deal not getting done, and if he's got a bit of vindictiveness in him, I could see him walking next season.
He hasn't signed the tender, either. I guess they have till July 15th to get a deal done.
Now answer me this...
If Brees chooses not to accept the franchise tender, can he be a free agent after July 15th, or does he have to sit out the year, assuming he's upset enough to not play?

longknocker
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't imagine he's asking for anything unfair. If he's asking to be paid like the best qb in the league, they sure can't argue that. 20 million a year is a bit more than Brady, and he's definately worth it. That's a pittance compared to what he brings to the organization's bottom line.
I have no idea what he's asking, but if he wants 25 million/year for 5 years with half of it guaranteed, he's worth every dime no matter what calculator they use.
If Peyton ends up getting paid here in the next week or so, it's going to cost the Saints big. He only gets 14.5 mill under the franchise tag, I understand he's livid over a deal not getting done, and if he's got a bit of vindictiveness in him, I could see him walking next season.
He hasn't signed the tender, either. I guess they have till July 15th to get a deal done.
Now answer me this...
If Brees chooses not to accept the franchise tender, can he be a free agent after July 15th, or does he have to sit out the year, assuming he's upset enough to not play?

Saints Have Always Been "Cheapskates". I Hope They Sign Brees Quickly!:tu

Stephen
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
He sits for the year (or he signs the tender, or he and the Saints come to terms on a contract).

shilala
03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
He sits for the year (or he signs the tender, or he and the Saints come to terms on a contract).
It's hard to believe the player's union let's that one get in the CBA. It's a very loaded tool, and really does nothing for player/team relationships.
I just simply can't believe the Ain'ts don't have him tied up. I guess they forget what it was like being the Aint's, thanks to Brees?
Now I'm pissed. :lr

Stephen
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
It's hard to believe the player's union let's that one get in the CBA. It's a very loaded tool, and really does nothing for player/team relationships.
I just simply can't believe the Ain'ts don't have him tied up. I guess they forget what it was like being the Aint's, thanks to Brees?
Now I'm pissed. :lr
They just gave Marques Colston a five year deal today, too. Good times.

shilala
03-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Yesterday Peyton told Miami and Arizona that he'd ruled them out. I thought that was a pretty classy move, at least those guys can chase what they need now.
I'm not sure if he told AZ before or after they had to decide about paying Kolb his 7M roster bonus, I'd hope he did.
San Fran jumped into the fray, that surprised me. Peyton has done really well in his workouts for teams and has passed all his physicals and health issue scrutiny, that might be what prompted San Fran to move.
That leaves four teams, Denver (who reportedly tendered a 90M/5 Year deal that was a 60M/5 year deal with 30M guaranteed earlier in the day, so take that info for what it's worth), Tennessee, San Fran and I just drew a blank on the other. My pills must have just kicked in.

Stephen
03-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Yesterday Peyton told Miami and Arizona that he'd ruled them out. I thought that was a pretty classy move, at least those guys can chase what they need now.
I'm not sure if he told AZ before or after they had to decide about paying Kolb his 7M roster bonus, I'd hope he did.
San Fran jumped into the fray, that surprised me. Peyton has done really well in his workouts for teams and has passed all his physicals and health issue scrutiny, that might be what prompted San Fran to move.
That leaves four teams, Denver (who reportedly tendered a 90M/5 Year deal that was a 60M/5 year deal with 30M guaranteed earlier in the day, so take that info for what it's worth), Tennessee, San Fran and I just drew a blank on the other. My pills must have just kicked in.
From perusing the ESPN article this morning they made it sound like there's only three teams in the hunt; Denver, Tennessee, and San Fransisco.

E.J.
03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Denver!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!

fhrblig
03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Denver!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!

:banger:banger

smitty81
03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
And in other news, Tebow was traded to the jets.

Starscream
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Quick question: How will Manning and Fox work out together? Fox is a run-happy coach who can't stand to put the ball in the air.

smitty81
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Quick question: How will Manning and Fox work out together? Fox is a run-happy coach who can't stand to put the ball in the air.

Manning will do what he knows and call the plays like he always has in the past.

Coach can call all the plays he wants but in the end, It will be Manning calling the plays and the coach won't be able to do anything about it.
They need Manning, Manning dosn't need them.