PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own Onkyo home theater receivers?

forgop
03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I have two of them-a TX-SR707 and a TX-SR606. The 606 model had the hdmi go bad within the warranty period and now then 707 just went out 2-1/2 months after the warranty ended. The sad thing is that it wasn't used for almost half I the time I've owned it. I'm going to see if they'll honor the warranty on it this afternoon, but this seems to be a major issue with Onkyo receivers. If it's not under warranty, I've heard these repairs are well over $300. If you're considering an Onkyo, buyer beware. Curious if anyone else has had the same issue with them.

GTsetGO
03-03-2012, 01:23 PM
i have had Onkyo in the past. Didn't have a problem with them.

i am a Pioneer wh0re right now.

fencefixer
03-03-2012, 01:24 PM
My opinion: Stay AWAY from Onkyo.

forgop
03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
They're supposed to get back with me on Monday whether they will allow this to be done under a warranty repair. In the meantime, I'll be trying to find something this afternoon to work temporarily to get me through. It sucks having no audio for my system.

Onkyo's get great reviews when they're relatively new, but seems their reliability is crap.

Stephen
03-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Were they exposed to constant high heat weather?:hm

Jbailey
03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I got two. 787 for the home theater and an 8511 stereo for the bedroom.

I got them dirt cheap when I worked at circuit city years ago. They have worked well for me so far (about 10 years). I have wanted to upgrade the home theater one to a pre/pro or just get stereo amp. I got a chance to borrow a few units from a local AV store in the past. I fell in love with a anthem 2 channel amp.

Ratters
03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow, Onkyos sound awesome, sucks if they're having reliability issues. Bought my Harmon Kardan AVR520 about 12 years ago and still going strong after pretty much daily use. Wish it had hdmi switching though.

forgop
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I decided regardless of whether onkyo repairs this, I'm not going to keep it. Odds are very good the hdmi port will go in the crapper within a couple of years anyway.

I just bough the Denin AVR-1912. Reviews on it are very good and the first Denon I owned was excellent.

Silound
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I can't say anything about Onkyo personally. My brother says he's very happy with his, and he's had and used it for around 6 years now as the centerpiece for his home entertainment center. He did mention it likes to get *hot*, which is what prompted him to build his ventilated tower for his various boxes (I never even knew it was actively ventilated).

Considering I'm not an audiophile, I've used a Sony unit that I caught on sale for the better part of 10 years now and never had a problem at all.

cricky101
03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I've had mine for about 3 years and haven't had any hdmi problems. In my first cabinet it did overheat once and shut down, but since I moved it to a spot with more airflow around it, it's worked great.

forgop
03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Were they exposed to constant high heat weather?:hm

No-from some searching on google and the AVS forum, it seems like it's a widely known issue about the HDMI panel failure rates.

turboaf
03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I have had the 707 for about 3 years and have never had an issue. I also have a good friend that has had 2 of them over the past 6 years and never had any issues. He upgraded after about 3 years of owning the first one to a better model.

When we did our research on them we noticed that they had this issue. After I set mine up I believe that it is a problem with the weight of the HDMI cable putting pressure on the connection and causing it to fail. I installed a small plastic clip that allows you to put a pig tail in the HDMI cable and this has seemed to alleviate the issue for me.

The reason I believe it is from the presser is I had an old laptop that had a similar issue but with the charging port were the cable stuck out to far and put a lot of downward presser on the connection at the motherboard, I had to have the motherboard replaced twice and finally gave up and bought a new computer on the third time.

Hope this helps and that the new receiver is issue free for you.

forgop
03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Update: I did some more research and I've actually decided I will return the AVR-1912 and buy the AVR-2112. It adds the MultiEQ XT over the AVR-1912 MultiEQ which seems to be a huge upgrade, a 3 year warranty vs. a 2 year warranty (they're made in China afterall), and networking capability to change settings via the computer.

I read about Electronics Expo offering much better pricing if you call than their online advertized price. They're an authorized dealer and gave me a price of $449.00 shipped and I opted to add another 2 year warranty to it for just $29.99 more. With tax, it's $513.58, which is a much better deal than the $588 I paid at Best Buy last night for the lower end model. :tu

If you're in the market for some electronics, you might give them a shot. 888-707-3976 and my rep was Jason at x152.

mithrilG60
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I just bough the Denin AVR-1912. Reviews on it are very good and the first Denon I owned was excellent.

I've had a Denon AVR-790 (sme model as the 1912) for a couple years, great receive with no issues.

Sauer Grapes
03-05-2012, 07:36 AM
I had an Onkyo for about five years. One of the rear channels went out twice, the first was under warranty.

The authorized repair facility (a privately owned shop) said that their quality had gone to crap and that he'd never buy a new Onkyo anymore. He said the parts they were using are cheap.

aich75013
03-05-2012, 07:43 AM
I bought a TXSR508 (replaced my Sony for a model with HDMI ports) about 1.5 years ago and use it daily. No issues.

replicant_argent
03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
So... you are familiar with AVS forum and you still asked the question here?

I should search the threads over there for advice on cigar humidification. Or maybe how to get the best price on charcoal.

;)

mariogolbee
03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I have a nice set of Onkyo surround speakers. A friend of a friend found her BF was cheating a few years back, seperate apartment and all, and gave away ALL of his stuff. She wanted to keep the receiver since it was already hooked up to everything else, but gave me the speakers, wire, and two stands. I was hesitant, but was assured that if somebody didn't take them that they would be in the dumpster. I'm using a Sony receiver for the speakers and they sounds great.

proguy747
03-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Integra. High end onkyo. Great stuff.

LasciviousXXX
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you own anything that doesn't break or isn't defective?

:tu

forgop
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Onkyo is going to allow me to have it repaied under warranty, so I applaud them for that. I read they've given 45 day courtesy warranty extension requests, but this one is approaching the 75 day mark. :tu

Stephen
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
So... you are familiar with AVS forum and you still asked the question here?

I should search the threads over there for advice on cigar humidification. Or maybe how to get the best price on charcoal.

;)
Kind of what I was thinking, but to each their own I suppose.:sh