PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes It Doesn't Pay To Be Mr. Nice Guy.

shilala
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Weeze and I stopped at Sheetz (local convenience store) the other day to get gas and coffee. It was particularly nasty and cold and the wind was blowing and the kid at the next pump asked if he could borrow my pump first card because he didn't have his.
So I leant it to him.
When he handed it back he made mention that you couldn't even use a credit card first without the pump card, which isn't true, and I instantly smelled a weasel. I thought it over and put it out of my head because I try to think the best of people.
Today I got a letter from Sheetz. I owe them $55.18 for the gas he didn't pay for.
I had already gone over the repercussions of lending my pump card and had decided I'd not do it again if I were asked. I should have known better this time, but I'd probably still have done it as I've not been stung before and I like to help people out.

Sheetz probably has the kid's car on camera and I could chase this all over and get the cops involved, but it's easier to just pay the 55 bucks for my most recent lesson.
I've always said that every lesson I ever learned I've learned straight through my wallet, fortunately they're few and far between anymore. :tu

maninblack
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear this brother. I hate it when people take advantage of good people. Freaking a$$hat.

G G
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah that sucks Scott, you are right though we learn lessons everyday.

Remo
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
That sucks Scott, I would try and have the cops see if they have video though, catch the kid so he quits doing it to others :td

EricF
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Sucks to hear that Scott. I would have the police check the video also and see if you can get his plate.

Teach him a lesson also!

E.J.
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
That sucks Scott, I would try and have the cops see if they have video though, catch the kid so he quits doing it to others :td

Have to agree.... Though a hoop to jump through, at least let them know what happened & they can take it from there.

That said, sorry this happened to you.... Good karma your way...

LostAbbott
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I gotta agree with these posts saying you should try and follow up. This kid thinks he can get free gas from others and probably does not realize the reprecussions of his actions. This is small time fraud and his conciquences will be small, but if you let thiscgo he will continue on and potentially never learn his lesson.

Edmund Burke said "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing...."

Don't inconvience yourself too much, but also don't do this with the idea of screwing the kid but helping him learn the error of his ways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ogre
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear this brother. I agree, hunt the little Bastage down!!!!!

Digs
02-29-2012, 07:10 PM
I agree with the others, I would talk to them (till I was blue in the face) rather then pay them $55 for gas you didnt get.

shilala
02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
When I stop at Sheetz to pay this bill, I'll let them know what happened and put it in their hands. I'm certain they'll do absolutely nothing with it, but I can show them I bought gas at the same time in my car. I'll be there anyways, so I'll at least clue them in.
It's bad enough I have to waste an hour of my short life to go pay this thing. To spend a minute being angry or trying to persuade law enforcement to do something about it just means he'll have robbed me not once, but two or three times. He'll have taken my peace and time out of my life. He ain't gettin' it.
Bottom line, it's my fault. If I don't give the kid the card, I don't facilitate the crime.

kelmac07
03-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Sorry to hear Scott.

Did you at least grab a couple Sheetz hotdogs? The closest Sheetz to me is in Midlothian, Va. and everytime I stop...I grab 4 hotdogs. Grew up with Sheetz and boy do I miss them.

shilala
03-01-2012, 06:12 AM
I eat those meatwhistles in the summer, I havent had one in a long time. They were 2 for a buck when I was a kid, and they had good sauce. :)

Ed M
03-01-2012, 06:28 AM
You HAVE to get the law involved. You don't think you're the only one he's doing this to, do you? Think about the little old lady on a fixed income that he's probably going to rip off!

LigaPrivadaT84
03-01-2012, 07:17 AM
:td

irratebass
03-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear this Scott, that's an ultimate bummer.

shilala
03-01-2012, 07:38 AM
This got taken care of last night.
Sheetz is discontinuing their pump first cards because of this, actually they're discontinued as of today. The police have had their fill of it, it's petty theft caused by Sheetz policy. They're who told them to put a plug in the hole.
So that's that. The kid's brilliant scam has come to an end, I'm sure he'll think up something else soon. It won't be long till his confidence causes him to ratchet up his game and he'll be caught. We reap what we sow. :tu

Oddly enough, while Weeze was paying the bill, a kid came in with $1.26 for gas. She was digging in her purse to give him 20 bucks to help him out when the girl came back and interrupted her, he was gone before she could help him out.
That's my girl. :tu

ysr_racer
03-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Fool me once...

Skywalker
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
That sucks Bro!:(

Um... My PP account isn't working to buy new cigars could I borrow yours???;)

the jiggler
03-01-2012, 08:23 AM
When I stop at Sheetz to pay this bill, I'll let them know what happened and put it in their hands. I'm certain they'll do absolutely nothing with it, but I can show them I bought gas at the same time in my car. I'll be there anyways, so I'll at least clue them in.
It's bad enough I have to waste an hour of my short life to go pay this thing. To spend a minute being angry or trying to persuade law enforcement to do something about it just means he'll have robbed me not once, but two or three times. He'll have taken my peace and time out of my life. He ain't gettin' it.
Bottom line, it's my fault. If I don't give the kid the card, I don't facilitate the crime.

I too am sorry you got bit. Fwiw I'm also glad you reached out and tried to help somebody. For every nine scumbags there is somebody who legitimately needs help. I guess I'd rather live in a place where people were still trying than a place where everyone has given up. Good on ya. God's looking at the intent let him worry about the outcome. :2

Subvet642
03-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Weeze and I stopped at Sheetz (local convenience store) the other day to get gas and coffee. It was particularly nasty and cold and the wind was blowing and the kid at the next pump asked if he could borrow my pump first card because he didn't have his.
So I leant it to him.
When he handed it back he made mention that you couldn't even use a credit card first without the pump card, which isn't true, and I instantly smelled a weasel. I thought it over and put it out of my head because I try to think the best of people.
Today I got a letter from Sheetz. I owe them $55.18 for the gas he didn't pay for.
I had already gone over the repercussions of lending my pump card and had decided I'd not do it again if I were asked. I should have known better this time, but I'd probably still have done it as I've not been stung before and I like to help people out.

Sheetz probably has the kid's car on camera and I could chase this all over and get the cops involved, but it's easier to just pay the 55 bucks for my most recent lesson.
I've always said that every lesson I ever learned I've learned straight through my wallet, fortunately they're few and far between anymore. :tu

Scott, always trust your instincts; they're usually more accurate and unbiased than intellect because they haven't been affected by the preconceptions of the conscious mind. Intellect can be fooled; instinct, almost never.