PDA

View Full Version : The worst news I ever got.

CigarDoc
12-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, for the past 3 months, I have had a little difficulty breathing during exercise. I went to the pulmonologist after a little while for a couple of tests and I have found out that I have what is called "reactive airway disease". Apparently my epiglottis is more sensitive to dirty air and smoke than most normal peoples. While, it isn't something that will affect my health in the long run, the doctor has told me that the only way for me to get my breathing to return to normal is to quit smoking. Normally, I would take his advice with a grain of salt, but my cigar habit is affecting my career. I am going to limit myself to a cigar once in a blue moon, mostly for special occasions. I will still continue to be a CA member, just not on the scale that I have once been. I wanna thank all of you who supported my unit while I was deployed. I got to smoke some of the finest sticks in the world just because you all like to share. I'm gonna miss having my nightly cigar after work.

Doc

HK3-
12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Get well soon.

markem
12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh man, that sucks. I hope it is something that will clear itself up over time. While cigars are great, being healthy is better.

yourchoice
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
That sucks Doc, but you have to take care of your health. Best of luck to you and I'm sure we'll see you around.

Hope you're feeling better very soon.

ahc4353
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear the news Doc. However, I have yet to find a cigar that is worth my life.

Wishing you all the best.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Al

Sandman
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Health first! I'm praying that this will hopefully clear up, but don't risk your long term health.

Scottw
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
That blows but at least it's not much worse. Hopefully it will work itself out over time. All the best to you!

replicant_argent
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Best of health to you, sir.
I suppose the absolutely great part about it is that when you do have a smoke very infrequently, the sky is the limit. Smoke only the best when you do.

Wanger
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Doc.

icehog3
12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear this news, Doc.

I hope your health improves, and I hope we see you around the Asylum when you can.

massphatness
12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
To your health, sir. In the end, that is far more important than any dried up piece of leaf, no matter how sweet it tastes. I wish you all the best in dealing with this.

poker
12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Your health is worth more than any cigar. Take care of whats important.

neoflex
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. Like others have said, your health is far more important and at least you'll at least treat yourself for special occasions. Best of luck!

Bubba - NJ
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
This is sad sad news for you and us . I hope this clears up for you soon .

hotreds
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
So sorry to hear this! Hopefully stopping will bring you back to full lung capacity and health. I pray it does! All the best!

Jay Hemingway
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
i am very sorry to hear that. good luck with everything.

CigarDoc
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you, guys. While I am SUPER disappointed about the news, it happens. It unfortunately isn't something that will ever go away as long as I continue to smoke. If I wasn't in the Army, it wouldn't affect me, the "disease" as they call it only affects me during exercise and other things alike. But, it is affecting my career so, it has to go. I'm still gonna stick around, I'll just enjoy a smoke a little less often.

SmokeyJoe
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Doc... so sorry about the health news, but I am so glad it is something you can control and that you will be better!

Thankful to have met you at Speakeasy in Fayetteville. Blessings on you and your family! :ss

Mugen910
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear the news Doc...You health is our priority so please take care of yourself. We'll be here for you when you're ready.

adampc22
12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
sorry to hear that man its a sickner and no mistake

bobarian
12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news. Hopefully in time you will feel better and be able to have a cigar once in a while.

md4958
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Doc, sorry to hear this news. It could have been a lot worse. Glad you can still enjoy the occasional smoke at least.

CigarDoc
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Doc, sorry to hear this news. It could have been a lot worse. Glad you can still enjoy the occasional smoke at least.
True, and I can still have my cannoli's, right?

md4958
12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
True, and I can still have my cannoli's, right?

you bet your ass! when you coming up this way next???

brigey57
12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, for the past 3 months, I have had a little difficulty breathing during exercise. I went to the pulmonologist after a little while for a couple of tests and I have found out that I have what is called "reactive airway disease". Apparently my epiglottis is more sensitive to dirty air and smoke than most normal peoples. While, it isn't something that will affect my health in the long run, the doctor has told me that the only way for me to get my breathing to return to normal is to quit smoking. Normally, I would take his advice with a grain of salt, but my cigar habit is affecting my career. I am going to limit myself to a cigar once in a blue moon, mostly for special occasions. I will still continue to be a CA member, just not on the scale that I have once been. I wanna thank all of you who supported my unit while I was deployed. I got to smoke some of the finest sticks in the world just because you all like to share. I'm gonna miss having my nightly cigar after work.

Doc

Doc sounds like you listen to your doctor. To me that is good news. Too many people don't have the option of doing something to improve their health. You are doing what is necessary.

It's good to know that you are as good a patient as you are a doctor.

:rlz:gl

Waynegro1
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Doc, but your health is whats really important as you know. As far as the Cannoli's go, I wouldn't substitute too many of those for cigars. They may not be bad for your lungs, but don't get me started on what they can do to the waist line.:D
Hang in there Doc, we're all here for you and thanks for your service.:usa

Don Fernando
12-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Doc

I am sorry to hear this Doc, i had a little plan in my head for bombing you, Tobii and Skills in one big bomb. Take care, and go for a second opinion.

Volt
12-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Glad to hear your going to still visiting the forum. That sux though that your not going to be able to relax and enjoy your nightly cigar..... Any chance this is something that goes away?

68TriShield
12-03-2008, 05:37 AM
The bottom line is your health is more important then cigars Chris.
It's still is a bummer though.

Mr.Maduro
12-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad news Chris. If you need anything, just let me know. :usa

Smokin Gator
12-03-2008, 05:39 AM
That really does suck... but I think you have a great attitude and outlook about it. Keep the chin up brother.

SNKBYT
12-03-2008, 05:50 AM
The bottom line is your health is more important then cigars Chris.
It's still is a bummer though.

what Dave said.....................best of luck and :salute:to a speedy recovery

Lucky_Hippo
12-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Sorry to hear of the bad news Doc, but also glad to hear it's a simple fix. Not a welcome fix mind you, but at least you know a simple way to get it under control without months of test and/or medical procedures.

Stay healthy my friend and thank you for your service!

newcigarz
12-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear this Chris. Glad you are listening and taking care of yourself.

Keep collecting though. Cause when you retire and can smoke again, You will have some nice aged smokes. ;)

tobii3
12-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Doc -

We need to talk....

You're the medic fer cryin' out loud!!!

Reactive Airway disease is NOT a diagnosis!!! YOU KNOW THIS!!! That's the term used for "hmmm....could be asthma....but I'm not sure...."" YOU'RE THE MEDIC!!!!! There is a HUMONGOUS difference between the Army "diagnosis" of reactive airway disease.....and the NO BS diagnosis of Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS).....

This is what made the "old man radar" go off....

the "disease" as they call it only affects me during exercise and other things alike.

That's called exercise induced asthma...it's friggin cold as ^%$# outside right now!!! Dude!!! Request a re-eval IMMEDIATELY!!!

Well, for the past 3 months, I have had a little difficulty breathing during exercise...

WE JUST GOT HOME IN JULY!!!! Block leave was in August.....Sep-Oct-Nov....Fall and Winter after being in the desert for 14 months.....Doc....you know I will drag you kicking and screaming into UNC in less than a heartbeat for a full clinical evaluation!!

PLEASE get a re-eval!!

md4958
12-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Doc -

We need to talk....

You're the medic fer cryin' out loud!!!

Reactive Airway disease is NOT a diagnosis!!! YOU KNOW THIS!!! That's the term used for "hmmm....could be asthma....but I'm not sure...."" YOU'RE THE MEDIC!!!!! There is a HUMONGOUS difference between the Army "diagnosis" of reactive airway disease.....and the NO BS diagnosis of Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS).....

This is what made the "old man radar" go off....

That's called exercise induced asthma...it's friggin cold as ^%$# outside right now!!! Dude!!! Request a re-eval IMMEDIATELY!!!

WE JUST GOT HOME IN JULY!!!! Block leave was in August.....Sep-Oct-Nov....Fall and Winter after being in the desert for 14 months.....Doc....you know I will drag you kicking and screaming into UNC in less than a heartbeat for a full clinical evaluation!!

PLEASE get a re-eval!!

Doc, I would never presume to tell you what to do with your health, but this sounds like good advice.

Before you sell all those beautiful sticks!!!

Hardcz
12-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Doc I'm sorry to hear the news, I'm with Tobii, anything serious like this deserves a second opinion. I do hope it ends up being something minor, but you have my support in all you do.... and for the love of all that's good don't sell your stash till you know things are factual.

Dan

Buena Fortuna
12-03-2008, 07:14 AM
You can always get another cigar, but your health is a "one and done" deal...

Take care and treasure your cigar opportunities in the future.

dcamacho
12-03-2008, 07:33 AM
im so sorry about the news! i hope everything gets better for you :)

spincycle
12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Doc I'm sorry to hear the news, I'm with Tobii, anything serious like this deserves a second opinion. I do hope it ends up being something minor, but you have my support in all you do.... and for the love of all that's good don't sell your stash till you know things are factual.

Dan

x3.. While I would love to pick up your sticks at a bargan basement price :ss, getting an accurate assessment on your condition is key. Good luck and keep us all informed of your progress!

:salute:

spin

TripleF
12-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Wishing you many,many years of long life even if you have to drop the cigars.

God bless.

Salute!

Starscream
12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear the news. But the good news is if you limit yourself to an "occasional" smoke, you can make damned sure that you smoke only the best.

All the best to you, Doc.

bonjing
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
CigarDoc, sorry to hear about the the bad news. like others have sugested get a second opinion. hope everything gets better for you

jbo57
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Doc...I'm really sorry to hear this. Hang in there. Is there any hope that this will clear up after a while of not smoking your favorite (or non-favorite for that matter) sticks? Take care.

Cyanide
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Sorry for your hardship, BOTL....

But I am inclined to agree with some of the later posts here:

I am a military doc in the Canadian Forces, and "reactive airway disease" doesn't scare me much. But, it could be bad or nothing at all. If someone was throwing ideas of epiglotal involvement at you, they might have been oversimplifying in a way that left false beliefs behind.

I personally have "reactive airway" tendencies, which have not gotten any worse with taking on cigar smoking (1 a week). With that I have been able to pare down my 1.5mile run from 9 min 18 seconds 6 weeks ago to 8 min 52 seconds.

While that is my story, it may not be yours.....but it may not require as harsh a decision as selling your collection (regardless of how much I want to take it and the humidor off your hands :) )

Give me a PM, we should talk....bring your lab results (I presume you might have some number available from a PFT - pulmonary function test)....

We can discuss it in a framework of doing what is right for you based on best evidence (if quitting is the best option I will tell you that, but if calculated indulgence can happen without likely increasing risks I will tell you that too).

Cheers

Cyanide

John Julyan-Gudgeon
Capt
1 Fd Amb

mikeandshellie2
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hope all is well Doc. I do agree with Tobii though. But then again we may not have the full story, you know your body best.Take care!

TideRoll
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Take care of your health first, you'll be around in the long run to enjoy what will now be higher grade and better aged sticks. A second opinion never hurts, either, but any way it comes out, take care.