PDA

View Full Version : Cigar of the month clubs

Malazan
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Being a new cigar smoker, I was wondering if any of these COM clubs are worth joining?

Seems like a good way to try new cigars:sh

If any of them are worth while, which do you suggest

Thanks

Blak Smyth
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
I know a couple people that get this through CI, I see what they get every month and I would rather use that money on something I choose most often. If you do not know what you want to buy, I say go for it, you should be able to cancel at anytime. If you have the money to blow, it is pretty exciting now knowing what you will receive every month.

emopunker2004
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Don't do it. You're welcome.

chippewastud79
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Buy singles and samplers, you'll get a better value than a club. :tu

SvilleKid
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
The one done by "monthlyclubs(dot)com" comes to mind because my sister gets me their beer-of-the-month sampler each year for Christmas. I looked into that one a while back, and find the cigars are nothing that cannot be found locally at a much better price than the club offers. There are many awesome samplers on cigarbid that can often be had for little more than a couple of dollars per cigar, and on better selections than most of the club deals.

One thing to consider, whatever you end up with. From personal lessons learned: Don't judge ANY of the cigars in the samplers based on one stick. Differences in humidity, aging, past and present storage can all give a stick different draws and tastes. So, if you can, look for samplers that have at least two of each cigar. Smoke one as soon as it has stabilized in your humidor. Then come back in 3-4 months and smoke the other one! I've been surprised so many times with the second stick, that I hardly post reviews of the first stick I smoke in a line.

Oh yeah...... If you haven't already heard of Cigarbid, I'm sorry to be the one to kick you down that terribly slippery slope!!! :)

irratebass
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I have enjoyed my experience with CI's C.O.T.M.C. I signed up for the 8 stick deal ($30 a month) this way I have 4 extra sticks to give away, + there is a nice write up of the sticks you receive and a % off if you care to buy more....I say try it.

As a matter of fact I should be receiving my Feb sticks today.

jluck
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I have enjoyed my experience with CI's C.O.T.M.C. I signed up for the 8 stick deal ($30 a month) this way I have 4 extra sticks to give away, + there is a nice write up of the sticks you receive and a % off if you care to buy more....I say try it.

As a matter of fact I should be receiving my Feb sticks today.

Post pics. I'm curious.

irratebass
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Post pics. I'm curious.

This was January's

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/irratebass/Cigars/photobucket-4989-1326496363309.jpg

SvilleKid
02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Dang my hide!!!! I haven't been to the devil site in probably 2 years. But just did a quick peek to make sure I was correct in my advice when I said samplers still often around $2 per stick. Dang. I sure saw a bunch of stuff over there I would love to have! Forget the fact that I have more cigars than I can ever smoke! I gotta have more. More I tell you!

OP'er John: Take my advice..... Stay away. Once the devil site gets in your blood (and your wallet), it's non-stop downhill from there!!

jluck
02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
6/8 are decent-good smokes wow! this looks like trying.

Thanks.

irratebass
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Dang my hide!!!! I haven't been to the devil site in probably 2 years. But just did a quick peek to make sure I was correct in my advice when I said samplers still often around $2 per stick. Dang. I sure saw a bunch of stuff over there I would love to have! Forget the fact that I have more cigars than I can ever smoke! I gotta have more. More I tell you!

OP'er John: Take my advice..... Stay away. Once the devil site gets in your blood (and your wallet), it's non-stop downhill from there!!

Well, don't keep it a secret....what samplers ya looking at?

SvilleKid
02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, don't keep it a secret....what samplers ya looking at?

Well, there was this sampler of Graycliff 50th annis that practically screamed at me!!!! I've always liked their sticks. Luckily, my payment details are way outdated, so I was saved from having to bid on them. Still.......

Damn you, Cigarbid!

But, back to samplers... They had several 12 to 20 cigar samplers closing in 2 days that were still at, or below $2 per stick. On very smokable (especially for those new to cigars and still developing their tastes). Hard to beat those prices at monthly clubs!

But, I guess when you add up all the extra costs associated with Cbid (multi-purchases, extra humidors, coolers, humidification products, yada, yada, yada...), monthly clubs might not be that bad of a deal! But wait.... aren't all those things (except maybe coolers) also available on Cbid?

irratebass
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, there was this sampler of Graycliff 50th annis that practically screamed at me!!!! I've always liked their sticks. Luckily, my payment details are way outdated, so I was saved from having to bid on them. Still.......

Damn you, Cigarbid!

But, back to samplers... They had several 12 to 20 cigar samplers closing in 2 days that were still at, or below $2 per stick. On very smokable (especially for those new to cigars and still developing their tastes). Hard to beat those prices at monthly clubs!

But, I guess when you add up all the extra costs associated with Cbid (multi-purchases, extra humidors, coolers, humidification products, yada, yada, yada...), monthly clubs might not be that bad of a deal! But wait.... aren't all those things (except maybe coolers) also available on Cbid?

I got to admit this is a pretty sweet deal
http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1213959/Alec-Bradley-Flight-Sampler-10-Cigars/

mosesbotbol
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Don't do it. You're welcome.

I agree.

Visit your local cigar shop and buy a few singles, report back to them on your impressions, and go from there. Be cheaper, and have less duds.

Subvet642
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
You might want to keep a cigar journal, nothing special, just some notes to yourself.

lenguamor
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Buy singles and samplers, you'll get a better value than a club. :tu

:r

Justin is right, though. Make your own CoMC; take the monthly $ you would give somebody else and choose a sampler for yourself at your local B&M. That way you try what you want to try, not the filler around a couple good sticks that a lot of these clubs give you.

forgop
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
If you want sticks the shops wouldn't otherwise sell many of without selling in grab bags and cigar of the month clubs, go for it. ;)

MrClean
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
For some people I could see the COTM club working for them. It can kind of help you budget what you spend every month. Most give write ups about the smokes they send and that might help you with figuring out the different flavor notes that each cigar has.
Are they the best deal per stick, no, but for someone brand new to cigars, I can see where they might be helpful.:2

BHalbrooks
02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
My :2 is that it's either hit or miss. With my luck, it'd be a lot of miss.

Digs
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I have been enrolled in the CI cigar club for over 5 years, its only $20 per month shipped! Some months 1-2 stick alone are worth the $20 go for it like I said its only $20 heck at most B&M's you cant even by 1-2 sub premiums for that.

tengel78
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I thought about this when I first started, but I usually just look at the reviews of what people are smoking here and pick up 5 of them to try if people rave about them. And I also pick up a few random sticks at the B&M a couple times a month to try something different.

Islayphile
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
You'd probably be better off reading reviews on this site of what guys like to smoke and cross reference those with your personal tastes.

forgop
02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I have been enrolled in the CI cigar club for over 5 years, its only $20 per month shipped! Some months 1-2 stick alone are worth the $20 go for it like I said its only $20 heck at most B&M's you cant even by 1-2 sub premiums for that.

But CI has a tendency to make dog rockets seem like the best kept secret in the cigar biz. If you read their descriptions, you'd think every cigar from them should be a $10 stick.

irratebass
02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
February's sticks
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/irratebass/Cigars/photobucket-6010-1330038321783.jpg
1. Excalibur Legend (x2)
2. DPG Blue Generosos (x2)
3. La Aurora 107 Robusto (x2)
4. PDR Reserva Limitada Toro (x2)

And then these two house blends they say RH5554 on them :sh might call Ci and ask what they are, they look nice and oily.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/irratebass/Cigars/photobucket-6615-1330038287965.jpg

Islayphile
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
But CI has a tendency to make dog rockets seem like the best kept secret in the cigar biz. If you read their descriptions, you'd think every cigar from them should be a $10 stick.

Oh c'mon...5 Vegas Gold is a diamond in the rough!

REALLY rough

;)

forgop
02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh c'mon...5 Vegas Gold is a diamond in the rough!

REALLY rough

;)

In defense of 5 Vegas, it was being able to buy bundles of their classic series for $20-$30 back in the day of yahoo auctions that really got me into the hobby. It's a great value in the $1-2/stick value, but each of these "finds" is more of the exception to the rule on CI.

When I was "reborn" in the hobby and filling up my humi about 5 years ago, I bought a lot of stuff from CI/Cbid. Never again.

Islayphile
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
In defense of 5 Vegas, it was being able to buy bundles of their classic series for $20-$30 back in the day of yahoo auctions that really got me into the hobby. It's a great value in the $1-2/stick value, but each of these "finds" is more of the exception to the rule on CI.

When I was "reborn" in the hobby and filling up my humi about 5 years ago, I bought a lot of stuff from CI/Cbid. Never again.

Haha....The group that I herf with are all med-full smokers and the 5 Vegas Gold is the pinnacle of the anti cigar for us.

They are a great way to fill your humi quickly and cheaply that's for sure.

jluck
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
February's sticks
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/irratebass/Cigars/photobucket-6010-1330038321783.jpg
1. Excalibur Legend (x2)
2. DPG Blue Generosos (x2)
3. La Aurora 107 Robusto (x2)
4. PDR Reserva Limitada Toro (x2)

And then these two house blends they say RH5554 on them :sh might call Ci and ask what they are, they look nice and oily.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/irratebass/Cigars/photobucket-6615-1330038287965.jpg

That looks like a nice selection to me. I just got a couple of the 107's today too.

irratebass
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
That looks like a nice selection to me. I just got a couple of the 107's today too.

I seen that and I was going to comment that I have another one coming from Cbid....hopefully tomm.

Malazan
02-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I do keep a little journal of the cigars I smoke, and the ones I like.

Also, my local B&M's suck. Two are Smoker Friendly stores, Two are head shops. They have a very limited selection, Their prices are almost double what the online stores charge for singles, and they let their walk in humidor RH fluctuate all over the board.

Two of the stores keep their cigars in cabinets, they don't even have Humidors:sad

And the head shop across the street has hi humidor at 30% RH:eek:

SvilleKid
02-23-2012, 10:38 PM
I do keep a little journal of the cigars I smoke, and the ones I like.

Also, my local B&M's suck. Two are Smoker Friendly stores, Two are head shops. They have a very limited selection, Their prices are almost double what the online stores charge for singles, and they let their walk in humidor RH fluctuate all over the board.

Two of the stores keep their cigars in cabinets, they don't even have Humidors:sad

And the head shop across the street has hi humidor at 30% RH:eek:

Sounds like you're hard up for local sources, for sure! Thank goodness for the internet!!! You definitely should give Cigarbid a look. But.... There is a reason it's called the devil site! Once it gets hold of you with the "fever", it's hard to shake it loose!!! :r But, it can be an excellent source for smokes at very good prices! Just set a budget, and try to stick with it! Good Luck!!

Malazan
02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
The bad part is, I live near Steamboat Springs. You would think there are some Cigar smokers in the Boat, so as to have a descent B&M