PDA

View Full Version : xikar hygrometer problems

smitty81
02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Just got the round digital hygrometer yesterday. Did the salt test to calibrate it.

My RH levels in my humi seemed funny so I took the hygrometer out and back in a bag with the salt and water cup. (rehydrated)

The level should in therory go back up to 75% after 4 hours should it not?

Swif
02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
tag

T.G
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
tag

Nice review.

icehog3
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
tag

You're it.

jluck
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Just got the round digital hygrometer yesterday. Did the salt test to calibrate it.

My RH levels in my humi seemed funny so I took the hygrometer out and back in a bag with the salt and water cup. (rehydrated)

The level should in therory go back up to 75% after 4 hours should it not?

I think more like 24 hrs.

Islayphile
02-14-2012, 06:58 PM

+1

In my experience 12 is usually sufficient, but if you're concerned about it leave it for 24hrs to be safe.

smitty81
02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

then why does it say 4 hours to calibrate in xikars instructions? :confused:

CigarNut
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
IBTLl! :)

Islayphile
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
then why does it say 4 hours to calibrate in xikars instructions? :confused:

typo?

oooo35980
02-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I ended up throwing a calibrated hygro in the bag and waiting until that one hit 75%. It took all day, 10ish hours. Maybe it has to do with how much salt, and how wet it is.

RonC
02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Here is how science guys do a salt test.

First, they know the size of the test chamber. Then, they get a precise amount of salt that is based upon the size of the test chamber. Next, the amount of water that they use is based upon the amount of salt that they used. Last, but not least, they have a formula for how much time that they need to do the test correctly. The time is based upon the test chamber size, amount of salt, and amount of water.

This equation is the same equation that is used with the Humidipak calibration bag. You have a precise amount of water and salt (the humidipak), and you have a test chamber matched to the salt and water(the calibration bag). Then based on all 3 (salt,water,chamber) you have a precise time frame to conduct the test.

another example. There is a relatively expensive hygro available called the VWR recalibratable hygrometer. with the hygro comes a calibration bottle. in the bottle is a precise mix of water and salt. you stick the end of the hygro into the calibration bottle. they have it designed so that the hygro does not get wet. because they have a fixed amount of salt and water, and bottle size, the company can give you an exact timeframe for conducting the test.

at home salt test can vary greatly because we all use different size test chambers. Also, what exactly is a slurry? or not too wet, but not too dry.

Use the Humidipak calibration kit.

dwoodward
02-14-2012, 08:10 PM
at home salt test can vary greatly because we all use different size test chambers. Also, what exactly is a slurry? or not too wet, but not too dry.

Use the Humidipak calibration kit.

This. I have always hated the salt test for the exact reasons you described. It's well known that if your too dry or too wet your RH can differ by great amounts. How the salt test can be called "accurate" is far beyond me.

smitty81
02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I took my 65% bead tube out of my humi and put it in a ziplock bag.

An hour has passed. It went from 61% to 71% within an hour.

I thought the beads were suppost to maintain RH levels.

Either that or my digi xikar hygrometer is was off...........

Grr, calibrating this hygrometer with the salt test is proving to be useless.

jluck
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I took my 65% bead tube out of my humi and put it in a zip lock bag.

An hour has passed. It went from 61% to 71% within an hour.

I thought the beads were suppost to maintain RH levels.

Either that or my digi xikar hygrometer is was off...........

Grr, calibrating this hygrometer with the salt test is proving to be useless.

What did? Give a few more details.
Your humidor went from 61-71% after one hour? (without beads?)
Your hygrometer went from 61-71% in the ziploc bag with the beads?

smitty81
02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
What did? Give a few more details.
Your humidor went from 61-71% after one hour? (without beads?)
Your hygrometer went from 61-71% in the ziploc bag with the beads?

it jumped up from 61%-71% with the heartfelt 65% beads in the baggie.

EricF
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Is your hygro adjustable? Sometimes out of the box they are not set properly. I have had to adjust a few and some were dead on.

Also, how wet were the beads? If you just hydrated them maybe you made them too wet.

MrClean
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
65% beads may be 60% or 70%, depending oh what they have been doing in your humi. Get the test pack. It's the most accurate and takes 24 hours to complete the test.

smitty81
02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
65% beads may be 60% or 70%, depending oh what they have been doing in your humi. Get the test pack. It's the most accurate and takes 24 hours to complete the test.

Just bought one tonight, now I gotta wait for it the get here.

smitty81
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Is your hygro adjustable? Sometimes out of the box they are not set properly. I have had to adjust a few and some were dead on.

Also, how wet were the beads? If you just hydrated them maybe you made them too wet.

yep, I've had it about a week. I had a feeling it wasnt very accurate so I did a few salt test on it.

Never comes close to %75

I got the test kit so I will wait and see i guess

jluck
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Is it adjustable? I know it was asked already but I didn't see a answer.

EricF
02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

If it is, then turn the adjustment knob a click or 2 to the right and retest. If it's not then the Boveda test kit will tell you how much it's off so you know where it should be to keep your sticks they way you like them.

Good luck Bro!!! :tu

smitty81
02-17-2012, 06:56 PM

well, it has a calibrate button. but if I do a salt test, calibrate, and do another salt test................it never goes back to %75.

So i don't think the salt thing is working to well.

smitty81
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
If it is, then turn the adjustment knob a click or 2 to the right and retest. If it's not then the Boveda test kit will tell you how much it's off so you know where it should be to keep your sticks they way you like them.

Good luck Bro!!! :tu

yes, I got the test kit. No more headaches............well, at least from this digital hygrometer

EricF
02-17-2012, 06:59 PM
well, it has a calibrate button. but if I do a salt test, calibrate, and do another salt test................it never goes back to %75.

Wait till you get the test kit and redo the test. Just be patient as the calibration can take a few days if yours is off.

MrClean
02-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Just bought one tonight, now I gotta wait for it the get here.

Sweet! It'll make life much easier and you don't have to worry about it. I did the same thing you did and finally said 'screw it' and bought the calibration pack.

dwoodward
02-18-2012, 07:43 PM

According to the instructions you need to remove the battery before you recalibrate again.

Btw, I just got mine in the mail based on the good reviews. I think mine is defective tho, it says it's 81F in my house, which is insane, my other hygrometers all read 71 and my thermostat says 72... So this thing is already off 10F. I hope Xikar will send me a new one. 10F is unacceptable.

SRSmiscer
02-26-2012, 12:19 PM
yep, I've had it about a week. I had a feeling it wasnt very accurate so I did a few salt test on it.

Never comes close to %75

I got the test kit so I will wait and see i guess

Just saw this thread. I too am having problems with my Xikar digi. I have the rectangle one. I have exchanged it at my local place already and the second one isnt reading right. Im sick of trying the salt test. Im ordering my calibration kit tonight.

Also hey Nebraska neighbor! Im in Lincoln!

n0Odle
04-20-2012, 07:11 AM
My rectangle XiKar has a calibrate button.. when I do the calibration test with a 75% calibration pack, after 24 hours, etc.. I push the calibrate button and it automatically brings the reading to 75%.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XIJWbXyPL._SS500_.jpg

smitty81
04-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Just saw this thread. I too am having problems with my Xikar digi. I have the rectangle one. I have exchanged it at my local place already and the second one isnt reading right. Im sick of trying the salt test. Im ordering my calibration kit tonight.

Also hey Nebraska neighbor! Im in Lincoln!

Whats up dude, I used to live in Lincoln. Did so for 4 years.