PDA

View Full Version : Cigars in Costa Rica

ZachF88
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Headed to Costa Rica for a week or so. Was wondering if I should bring my own cigars or get some there. Not really interested in CC's. Do they grow tobaccy in Costa Rica?

Thanks,
Zach

icehog3
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
There are tobacco growers as well as cigar manufacturers in Costa Rica, Zach. Can't speak for the cigars themselves, the only cigars I have had that I know had CR tobacco in them were a couple of CAOs.

smelvis
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Take your own they all suck, There are a couple tours that are fun but the cigars are not very good and most Cubans are fake with a couple exceptions.

billybarue
02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Bucanero used to have a lot of cigars with Costa Rican Tobac. Don Tuto is a cheapie Costa Rican Puro, but one I happen to really like.

FWIW

mkarnold1
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
My kid went to Costa Rica on a school trip and managed to smuggle back a box of 5 CR smokes called Tobacos Exclusivo. They were pretty fresh when I smoked the first couple and they tasted pretty darn good. I'm letting the last one rest for a while to see what it turns into.

Remo
02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
My kid went to Costa Rica on a school trip and managed to smuggle back a box of 5 CR smokes called Tobacos Exclusivo. They were pretty fresh when I smoked the first couple and they tasted pretty darn good. I'm letting the last one rest for a while to see what it turns into.

There are plenty of places that have humidors (legit ones) not just the glass top Cohibo's at the local stop and rob, I was not much of a cigar smoker when I went but there are plenty of good shops, enjoy :tu

MarkinAZ
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Headed to Costa Rica for a week or so. Was wondering if I should bring my own cigars or get some there. Not really interested in CC's. Do they grow tobaccy in Costa Rica?

Thanks,
Zach

One question is when are you going to CR and what city or cities are you planning to stay at?

About 16 yrs ago, my wife and I traveled to CR to visit her parents (retirement) in a small village named Samura located in the Province of Guanacaste (Samara is located due SSE of Nicoya). We stayed in Samara a little over two weeks. The rest of the time in San Jose.

We flew into San Jose and stayed a few nights at the Hotel Santo Tomas. A great little Hotel which is (or was) owned by an American and his Tico wife (an attorney):

http://www.hotelsantotomas.com/

I don't see why you shouldn't take a few of your favorite cigars with you, but keep an open mind to the locally grown tobacco's and blends produced in CR, and you may come away with a new all-time favorite for yourself. Here's a couple of links for your review:

http://www.costaricacigarstore.com/store/pc/home.asp

http://smokeadrians.com/home

And, if you enjoy coffee, then you'll be in the heartland of the green coffee bean. Cafe Brit, located just outside of town in San Jose, has a great tour of their coffee plantation.

Hope you have a great time in CR Zach and remember to keep an open mind while visiting down that way:tu

ZachF88
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll be flying into San Jose, then doing Tortu Guero, then Arenal, then Monte Verde. I'll be driving a rental car between the cities, except Tortu Guero. I'll be pretty adventurous, and hopefully I'll find some good sticks. As for coffee, I'm taking an extra suitcase just to bring back some of that fresh roasted CR coffee! I'll be without my phone for the duration of the trip, which will be very interesting for me... haha

mkarnold1
02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
That sounds very similar to the locations that my son's group traveled to. I'll ask him if he remembers where he picked the cigars up. He also grabbed a box of 10 DR stogies called Bocas del Monte in the same shop. I've passed a few of those out to folks on this forum. They looked like they had been sitting for a long time (very yellow cello) and they were a milder smoke, very creamy with a terrific smooth flavor, IMO.

MarkinAZ
02-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll be flying into San Jose, then doing Tortuguero, then Arenal, then Monte Verde. I'll be driving a rental car between the cities, except Tortu Guero. I'll be pretty adventurous, and hopefully I'll find some good sticks. As for coffee, I'm taking an extra suitcase just to bring back some of that fresh roasted CR coffee! I'll be without my phone for the duration of the trip, which will be very interesting for me... haha

Sounds like everything will be close to the San Jose area. If time allows during your visit, you owe it to yourself to visit the Cafe Britt Coffee Plantation which is just a smidge North of San Jose. Beautiful country side, and if I remember right, there're about 5 volcanoes that sit about a mile North of the Plantation:

http://www.coffeetour.com/home

Again, have a great time down in CR. Puro Vida Costa Rica amigo:tu

Garbandz
02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Most of the local stuff will disappoint you,CR tobacco is bitter.Nearly every one has a bitterness you cannot escape,and you are better off taking your own.
Panama sticks are worse..........

Don Fernando
02-12-2012, 02:43 AM
There are tobacco growers as well as cigar manufacturers in Costa Rica, Zach. Can't speak for the cigars themselves, the only cigars I have had that I know had CR tobacco in them were a couple of CAOs.

And the Vegas Santiago sampler you got a year or two ago.

Zach, get in touch with Rudy and Lani @ www.vegassantiago.com

smelvis
02-12-2012, 08:31 AM
San Jose been many times, I would take a tour of http://www.benignocigars.com/
it's a small operation but they will show you the rolling make you an espresso let you pick a cigar an smoke one with you in what must be the classiest way it was meant to be, the Espresso machine is antique old school beautiful and still made the best I have ever had. They are the best of what I tasted local and I still didn't like them, I still have a few left some five years old and they didn't get much better. but going was worth it and you feel obligated to buy some after the hospitality.

I also recommend a coffee plantation tour and the butterfly farm it was so cool. The hotel will have brochures and be able to set up the tours you want. if I can help let me know. The Britt tour Markin recommends is worth the trip and it some decent coffee. if you want to bring some back with you I would skip the britt coffee not thew tour just buying extra coffee and go to the open air market a little whole in the wall roaster sells and bags any size you want for dirt cheap.

If your a Rum drinker http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/RON-CENTENARIO-FUNDACION-20YR-RUM-p8827.htm can be had at the duty free shop a bit cheaper, also the duty free shop in the lower section is open to people entering the Country so you can buy some Cubans there the only cigars I can vouch for was the umpmanns at least a few years ago they were real.

I know of another shop that sells real but expensive Cubans with a smoking lounge and bar and you can get a gal :tu with it if you want just ask me if you want a name and address.
have fun but be careful it's not Disneyland.

icehog3
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
And the Vegas Santiago sampler you got a year or two ago.

That's right, Ferdinand! I forgot they were from CR. Thank you. :)

MurphysLaw
04-06-2012, 04:20 PM
My MIL just got back from a cruise and brought me a fiver of the Vegas De Santiago originales maduro torps, they're in the freezer now. Based on Ferdie's review I'm looking forward to lighting one up once they're ready to go.