PDA

View Full Version : Screwed

dwoodward
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Bought a 28 bottle Edgestar during Compact Appliance's sale for $189. Unit came today with a scratch on the top and some kind of finish issues on the face of the door.

I frankly don't want to ship this thing all the way back to them, but they are pretty much leaving me no choice it seems. They are selling scratch and dent units for 128 dollars and the best they can do is refund me 10% of what I paid...

Can't believe this. Basically I paid for a new unit and got a imperfect unit it seems and they want me to either accept the refund or ship it back.

Sorry, just need to rant I guess.

cjhalbrooks
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
just rant bro, take the 10% and buy gars with it. It will be like they bought it for you

kickerb
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I had the same problem, i bought new and the unit already had comestic damage.

SvilleKid
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
It doesn't sound like Compact Appliances is a vendor that needs repeat customers (or customers that have been forewarned!)

pektel
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I sent them pictures of mine when it arrived with a broken door (I bought a scratch and dent for $99 shipped). They refunded my entire purchase price, and told me to throw the unit in my dumpster. I took the refund, and had a new door made out of solid cherry:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/pektel/Cigars/IMG_2477.jpg

Honestly, if the damage on the top isn't huge, I'd just use some touchup paint. Maybe they should send you a new door instead of you having to ship the entire unit back.

icehog3
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Will they pay for return shipping of the damaged unit?

dwoodward
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Honestly, if the damage on the top isn't huge, I'd just use some touchup paint. Maybe they should send you a new door instead of you having to ship the entire unit back.

Not a bad idea. I might shoot that across their noses to see what they say, the scratch is actually on the top of the door. So that would make sense. That should get rid of the finish issues and scratch all in one go.

awsmith4
02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Are you expecting them to just send a new one and let you keep both?

dwoodward
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Are you expecting them to just send a new one and let you keep both?

No, I was expecting some form of a courtesy charge back to my card. The scratch units on their website are $60 cheaper than I paid, I just don't see how $20 is a fair offer for a charge back. I offered to meet them in the middle at $40 and they said no.

kelmac07
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
It doesn't sound like Compact Appliances is a vendor that needs repeat customers (or customers that have been forewarned!)

X2

awsmith4
02-02-2012, 03:15 PM
No, I was expecting some form of a courtesy charge back to my card. The scratch units on their website are $60 cheaper than I paid, I just don't see how $20 is a fair offer for a charge back. I offered to meet them in the middle at $40 and they said no.

Oh I had my math wrong, I thought they were giving you the same price as the scratch and dent. Are they going to pay the shipping back? If not then I would dispute the charge

MurphysLaw
02-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Damaged Shipments
If you are returning the item because it was damaged in transit, we will gladly exchange it or give you a refund for the full amount of the merchandise so long as you contact us within 48 hours of delivery*. Damaged products must have the original box, packaging materials, manuals, and accessories. Once we are contacted in accordance with the above procedures, we will have the shipping company return to the delivery location to pick up the damaged product. Please make sure the product is available and ready for the pick-up attempt in order to avoid delays and possible cancellation of the pick-up. If you do not make the product available for pick-up, you will be required to ship the product back yourself. Please call us ASAP at 1-866.975.4846 to set up a return for a damaged product.

From their site, sounds like they should arrange to have the unit returned and and send a replacement or get you your money back.

icehog3
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh I had my math wrong, I thought they were giving you the same price as the scratch and dent. Are they going to pay the shipping back? If not then I would dispute the charge

That's what I asked.

dwoodward
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM

From their site:

Returns related to orders that included "free shipping" will be subject to a 15% shipping recovery fee.

It was a free shipping deal so I guess I would have to pay 15% of whatever shipping is or something... it's not very clear I guess.

icehog3
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
From their site:

Returns related to orders that included "free shipping" will be subject to a 15% shipping recovery fee.

It was a free shipping deal so I guess I would have to pay 15% of whatever shipping is or something... it's not very clear I guess.

I'd clarify. If they are going to charge you 15% to take back a damaged unit, I would do like Albert suggested and dispute the charge.

dwoodward
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd clarify. If they are going to charge you 15% to take back a damaged unit, I would do like Albert suggested and dispute the charge.

With ****** you mean? Isn't it illegal to dispute something that you actually received?

icehog3
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
With ****** you mean? Isn't it illegal to dispute something that you actually received?

If it is damaged and the company wants money to take it back? I'd sure give it a try, but hey, that's me.

bobarian
02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
If it is damaged and the company wants money to take it back? I'd sure give it a try, but hey, that's me.

:tpd: I have three wine coolers, all came with a removable plastic coating on the frame of the door. Can you post pictures of the damage?

us_soldier1989
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Well.. If it makes you feel any better man.. I just received my Edgestar 28 that I bought from them as an "open-box" for $119 shipped.. not a scratch on it. But seriously.. see if they can ship you a new door?

dwoodward
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Still not happy with everything, but looks like I'm getting 20 dollars back. I'm gonna try cleaning the door. If it doesn't work and since they were so unhelpful, ill just order a new door before the parts warranty is up.

dwoodward
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
omfg... i just went to fix the wobbling and noticed it's missing one of the feet on the bottom of the unit. The bottom also looks to have had some kind of water damage or something. This is ridiculous. I'm about ready to just tell them to shove it and dispute the whole charge with pay pal. There is NO way this was a pristine unit... I just keep finding more and more things wrong with it.

pektel
02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Sounds like they sent you a scratch and dent. Was it sealed in all the factory packaging?

dwoodward
02-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds like they sent you a scratch and dent. Was it sealed in all the factory packaging?

Nothing was sealed, it was just wrapped in plastic.

pektel
02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Doesn't sound like a new unit at all. My scratch and dent came in a non-factory box, with big pieces of styrofoam to "protect" it. Can't remember if it was wrapped in plastic or not.

I would assume that a brand new unit would have some sort of factory packaging instead of just wrapped in plastic.

Also, my S&D unit was also missing a foot. And the handle.

dwoodward
02-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah... I just got off the phone with them. They are sending me another one. It just pisses me off that they couldn't work with me more. I offered to just take scratch and dent price if they would send me the foot, but then again, I don't really like the look of the rust that's on the bottom of the unit. My father just stopped over when I was on the phone and he looked at it, he said it looked like the unit has been used as well and commented how the old holes for switching the door side were sealed up with some sort of puddy.

Now I need to arrange for shipping and this is just a big pain in my ass. It's different when you can just take the unit to the store and ship it, but they need to do "pick up" i guess.

dwoodward
02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Got the new one on my doorstep this morning. Got it out, inspected it, everything looks great. Has all 4 feet, no scratches, dents, no weird staining on the door. Looks pristine! This one also had that identifiable "new smell" that the old one was missing. Very happy with this unit. I am now even more positive they must have sent me a used one the first go.

However, I have had it plugged in for 9 hours now on Full blast, cold as it will go, and it only gets to 57F... pretty crappy for a wine cooler, but then again, i'm not using it for wine. lol So, if you wanted to get one of these for wine, I wouldn't suggest it.

Anyway, i'll get some pictures up soon. Right now it's pretty empty, but I'm going to take my time making sure that once I start getting some shelving in it it gets seasoned up really good. I'm not planning to fill it with cigars for at least 3-4 weeks. Just wanna make sure everything is perfect.

jluck
02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=dwoodward;1556485]
I have had it plugged in for 9 hours now on Full blast, cold as it will go, and it only gets to 57F... pretty crappy for a wine cooler, but then again, i'm not using it for wine. lol So, if you wanted to get one of these for wine, I wouldn't suggest it.
[QUOTE]

That's the drawback to thermoelectric but perfect for cigars and most good wines are traditionally served above 57 degrees.

Let's see them pics! :sl

dwoodward
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow... the highest temperature setting sits at 63F... So the unit has an entire temperature range of 6F... crazy.

So, is it okay keeping cigars at 63F if I can maintain the RH at 65-70?

icehog3
02-12-2012, 01:11 PM
63 is perfect.

dwoodward
02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
63 is perfect.

Thanks Admiral. I was worried it might be too low. Glad it will be alright. :D

SSDVC
02-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I had nothing but good luck with both Compact Appliance (and I did deal with their customer service and it was outstanding) and the Edgestar.

Swif
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
It sucks when you buy a product that should be top notch. You receive the product with problems and the company does not want to resolve the problem.

I am facing the same issue with a vendor and I took there word for a year now.

Fight for what you feel is right.

icehog3
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Ya don't say!

jluck
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow... the highest temperature setting sits at 63F... So the unit has an entire temperature range of 6F... crazy.

So, is it okay keeping cigars at 63F if I can maintain the RH at 65-70?

The Peltier effect is how thermoelectric coolers work. It will be roughly 10 degrees cooler that the room temperature is.

It sucks when you buy a product that should be top notch. You receive the product with problems and the company does not want to resolve the problem.

don't get another thread locked. K:tu

dwoodward
02-13-2012, 06:39 AM

:bdh

Blak Smyth
02-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Can you post pictures of the damage?

x2 :tu

Swif
02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Do what you can and good luck with the refund or replacement.