PDA

View Full Version : Analog Style Digital Hygrometer

Hem
01-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Anybody know anything about these? They look really neat but if anyone can share some first hand knowledge on how accurate they it'd be great.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/analog+style+digital+hygrometer/item+27257?kws=ZWW4354&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=accessories_HY-DON-1539&utm_campaign=ZWW4354

SvilleKid
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
It would be great if they are accurate and have longevity! Might make viable replacement for those POS analogs they make holes in humidors for!!

CigarNut
01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Seems expensive...

Digs
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Yea thats pretty neat!! Would be nice if they also had them in different diameters to repalce all the inaccurate cheapies that come with humi's

Hem
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Right, I agree on the cost. I definitely wouldn't pay that price but just liked the idea of it. I think I'm going to keep an eye open and pick one up when the price is right.

crazyirishman
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM
That's pretty.

Too rich for my blood, but pretty.

Digs
01-30-2012, 10:07 AM
I have a $10 off coupon code if you want it?

Digs
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
That's pretty.

Too rich for my blood, but pretty.

$38 ($28 w/coupon) isnt to high for me I got $1000's of dollars of smokes and wouldnt trust them to a cheapie gauge! -(P

Hem
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
$38 ($28 w/coupon) isnt to high for me I got $1000's of dollars of smokes and wouldnt trust them to a cheapie gauge! -(P

So are you not a fan of digi's as a whole? Or are these "pretty gauges" not accurate?

Digs
01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Bill I like the digi's and think they are very accurate. What I was refereeing to were comments above stating that $38 is too much $$ for a gauge!

Hem
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Bill I like the digi's and think they are very accurate. What I was refereeing to were comments above stating that $38 is too much $$ for a gauge!

Ah I got you, I misread your post. You were refering to your 401k that is currently in the form of Cigars and not wanting to trust it to the Mafia (analog) when you can put it in Fort Knox (digi) :D-(P

CigarNut
01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Bill I like the digi's and think they are very accurate. What I was refereeing to were comments above stating that $38 is too much $$ for a gauge!Just because something is expensive does not mean it is better.

The Xikar, Caliber or HygroSet hygrometers can be had for a lot less and are very accurate.

Digs
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
ah i got you, i misread your post. You were refering to your 401k that is currently in the form of cigars and not wanting to trust it to the mafia (analog) when you can put it in fort knox (digi) :d-(p

bingo !

Digs
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Just because something is expensive does not mean it is better.

The Xikar, Caliber or HygroSet hygrometers can be had for a lot less and are very accurate.

Mike I am not endorsing this gauge or arguing the accuracy of others, said I thought it was neat for $38 ($28 w/coupon) that’s it!

jluck
01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I think its absolutely awesome! If I ever get around to the Wineador project and already have 5-800 invested....yea I will wait for a sale or coupon and probably get 2 or 3 of these.:2

MurphysLaw
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
There's nothing in the description about these being able to be calibrated via a salt test, I'd much rather save a few bucks and buy one I know can be calibrated and accurate. Plus the only review says that this unit isn't accurate over time. :2

jluck
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Yea thats pretty neat!! Would be nice if they also had them in different diameters to replace all the inaccurate cheapies that come with humi's

They do come with adapters to fit the existing holes.:tu

There's nothing in the description about these being able to be calibrated via a salt test, I'd much rather save a few bucks and buy one I know can be calibrated and accurate. Plus the only review says that this unit isn't accurate over time. :2

Amazon says they are "recalibrate-able" just doesn't say if you can salt test though. I agree that's paramount.

also found them as low as 32.00. Still a bit high IMHO.

CigarNut
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Any hygrometer can be salt tested. This one can be calibrated too, so it has the functionality. I think it is overpriced for what it does. Just my :2

smitty81
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I just bought one, should be here in a day or two.

smitty81
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Got it today, looks nice. The one thing I'm not thrilled about is the accuracy. Says it can be -+ 4% which dosn't sound that great to me. Says it comes pre calibrated but I suppose I will throw it in the zip lock with salt and see where it goes to.

Curious to see how accurate it actually is.

If it's not that accurate, I'm gonna send it back and get a xikar digital as they are -+2%

smitty81
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
I am sending it back. This thing looks nice but has to many downfalls for me.

1. Wont fit in hygrometer hole has an adapter but then the hygrometer sticks out and isnt flush with humidor.

2. It's + -4% accurate. For the money I would expect it to be more accurate then that.

Im getting a digi kixar............

Don't waste your money.

dwoodward
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Got it today, looks nice. The one thing I'm not thrilled about is the accuracy. Says it can be -+ 4% which dosn't sound that great to me. Says it comes pre calibrated but I suppose I will throw it in the zip lock with salt and see where it goes to.

Curious to see how accurate it actually is.

If it's not that accurate, I'm gonna send it back and get a xikar digital as they are -+2%

I use a Hygroset II in my humi's. It's +-2% RH and +-1 degree temp. And cheap too. I just looked at the Xikar units online, same price but have automatic calibration... makes me wonder how accurate it is if you automatically calibrates. Does anyone have any info?

CigarNut
02-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Depending upon the size of the hole that you are trying to fit HygroSet recently came out with a "Front Mount" hygrometer that has the sensors on the back instead of the front. It's 1 7/8" diameter, +/- 2% accuracy and fully adjustable... I put one of these inside the door on my Vino.

I think I am going to start stocking them...

maconusmile
02-08-2012, 07:44 PM
The Xikar 832 XI is my hygrometer of choice. I found them pretty cheap on amazon at 18 bucks a piece with free shipping so I bought 6 of them. I would love to have 6 more so I can place two in each humidor side by side to verify the accuracy. That does look like a nice hygrometer but I am putting my trust in the Xikar's.