PDA

View Full Version : Traveldor & hygro

Jasonw560
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
I know it's not ideal, but I have a kids' pencil box I am going to line with foam for a travel humidor. I have a humidipak from my CRA order. All I need is a hygrometer. Just because that's how I roll...

I've been thinking of some, and wondering if anyone's tried this one:

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g453/Jasonw560/Smokes%20and%20things/Hygro.jpg

cjhalbrooks
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
well here is a tip man you could use a Tupperware or somthing like that. they work i keep one at work.

CigarSquid
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
How many you looking to hold? Tupperware is good. Why not just get the herfador 10-15 count or something similar?

mkarnold1
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
You can usually pick up the 15 count herf-a-dor for like $11 on c-bid and it's 5.95 for shipping.

14holestogie
01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
A hygrometer is only going to tell you how leaky that pencil box is. I'll do that for free. It's really leaky. :2:D

andromalius
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I've never seen that hygrometer, but it certainly looks useful. Where is it from? Also, I've never had much luck with humidipaks. If I'm not going to be storing cigars for a long time in a travel case (which I rarely do), I'll forego the humidification anyways. The cigars will stay fresh for long enough for me to smoke them or put them back in the humidor.

Jasonw560
01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I ddin't know the ones on CBid were that cheap. That's why I was going this route...to save some $$. I was thinking about doing it for this year's trip to Disney, since we'll be gone about 5 days. (Ergo the wanting to save) I'll only need 3 or so, seeing as how I'll be near Fuego one of those days, and I'll have my pipe. I might experiment with a gasket of some sort to stop the leaking....or just look on C-Bid and get one of those.

I found that hygrometer on amazon. Here:Ambient Weather Hygrometer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y0RFKO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p236_d0_g86_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=021DCEHB6JT7KZVNW699&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846)

LigaPrivadaT84
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I use the little Havana Hygrometer which is very similar in shape and can usually be found on Famous.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/little+havana+hygrometer+thermometer/item+16714

Got mine off CigarMonster for about $15.
:tu

bobarian
01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
A hygrometer is totally unnecessary as is a travel humidor. Tupperware will work fine, or even a ziplock bag. No water pillow or other humidification is needed either. Just throw the sticks in a ziplock and get on with the vacation. I have kept smokes on my desk for weeks in a ziplock, in fact there are 6 or 10 in there right now. :2

CigarNut
01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
A hygrometer is totally unnecessary as is a travel humidor. Tupperware will work fine, or even a ziplock bag. No water pillow or other humidification is needed either. Just throw the sticks in a ziplock and get on with the vacation. I have kept smokes on my desk for weeks in a ziplock, in fact there are 6 or 10 in there right now. :2Bob is wise -- listen him.

You really want to keep it simple when you are traveling with cigars. Use a ziplock unless your cigars may need protection while traveling (e.g., to keep from getting squished); otherwise a small tupperware container is fine.

If you want you can use a small Cigar Caddy or the like, but you don't need humidification or a hygrometer for a five day trip -- unless you are going to the artic or some other place with extreme temperature and humidity...

Jasonw560
01-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Going to Florida. Disney.

I don't want them to get squished an we're doing Disney express, so they'll go fom baggage hold to baggage hold to room. I'll have to pack them the night before.

Digs
01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Going to Florida. Disney.

I don't want them to get squished an we're doing Disney express, so they'll go fom baggage hold to baggage hold to room. I'll have to pack them the night before.

I would just buy a small herf-a-door... I travel to disney every year and I carry my sticks in my travel on. You will also need a TSA approved case for lighter you need to stick that in your checked bags.

joeobx
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Listen to Bob, I go to Nags Head for 2 weeks every year and just use a large Tupperware and haven't had any problems.

crazyirishman
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
A hygrometer is only going to tell you how leaky that pencil box is. I'll do that for free. It's really leaky. :2:D

:r:r

Jasonw560
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I would just buy a small herf-a-door... I travel to disney every year and I carry my sticks in my travel on. You will also need a TSA approved case for lighter you need to stick that in your checked bags.

Will do.

Jasonw560
01-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Just checked the TSA web site. "Common" (soft light) lighters are now allowed on carry-ons. The torch lighters are still regulated to the checked bags. Says nothing about needing a case.

14holestogie
01-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Just checked the TSA web site. "Common" (soft light) lighters are now allowed on carry-ons. The torch lighters are still regulated to the checked bags. Says nothing about needing a case.

Torch lighters are banned and can be confiscated from all bags. I've managed to get some through with the "egg" TSA approved case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets confiscated one of these trips. I only pack my beat up Jetlites so I won't be disappointed if it happens. Bics and other soft flame lighters don't need to be checked at all and are allowed.

Barcode
01-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Here is a 15 count with a BIN for 20.00 http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1198141/Herf-a-Dor-Cigar-Caddy-X15-15-Capacity-Travel-Humidor/

jluck
01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
If you have a few days to wait the 5 and 15 count on cbid often sell for 11.00.If you don't already have exposure to the site that money saved on a traveldor WILL be spent on other things (X1000's). be forwarned.....danger-danger- dangerous site to bank accounts and alot of relationships......

Good luck and happy bidding!;)