PDA

View Full Version : Patron - Are my taste buds out of wack?

dwoodward
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I like to call myself a fan of Tequila. I have gotten into it big time in the last year and have found myself a couple favorite bottles that are just amazing. I love me a bottle of Don Julio or Cabo Wabo, awesome Tequilas.

Just a couple weeks ago, I finally broke down and bought a bottle of Patron at the extensive badgering of my buddies. According to almost everyone I know Patron is like the "best of the best". I don't know why I have never tried it, I guess I just like my current go to tequilas enough that it never interested me.

Anyway, after a good night with my buddies they convinced me to buy a bottle of Patron. They suggested Patron Anejo. I bought it, brought it home and immediately poured myself a splash in a tequila glass. The nose was okay, slight pepper and spice, but the taste... That's what got me confused. It was very muted and boring. It was like that of a $20 bottle of tequila. It was just diluted and I couldn't really pick out anything that I liked about it. It just tasted cheap to me. I feel really ripped off.

Am I crazy? Is there anyone here that agrees with me? I have tried this 'stuff' 3 times now and all 3 times I had the same reaction, it tastes like a decent entry level tequila but that's about it.

macsauce13
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Name brand everyone knows and mostly overrated. The ladies love it though.

cobra03
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Dont get me wrong i like Patron just fine for doing shots of but if im sipping theres alot better out there for the money. I have a feeling that so many people love it because of its muted smooth flavor. You have to remember that alot of peoples only exposure to tequila is stuff like Jose gold. If thats your only reference then Patron is amazing. :2

shilala
01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
It's just like everything else. Make it bland so that it appeals to the masses and call it ultra-premium.
Tequila is SUPPOSED to taste like lighter fluid. That's why it's tequila. You drink a bottle, eat the worm, see God and wake up in jail.
I "get" what they're doing with all the super expensive multi-filtered super clear booze, but it takes away from what it is. It's kinda like calling Coors Light "beer". ;)

Bill86
01-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I love Tequila and just about any liquor they will bottle, but Patron isn't my cup of tea. I agree with the tastes part, it lacks big time. I prefer Don Julio, Penca Azul or Avion.

I've had the Gran Patron Platinum as well and it's no better, lacks in the taste department but wow smoother than silk....I could just funnel bottles of that all day long. It was like water.

A trade off, but at $200+ a bottle...it's not worth it.

CigarNut
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Patron is made for the masses and therefore is a much more milder version of tequila. It's OK, but Don Julio and the like are much better.

BTW, if you like a good inexpensive reposado try Cazadores.

Hem
01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Patron is garbage. Along with Grey Goose and any other brand name alcohol promoted by rap groups. Grab yourself some 1800, Cabo Wabo, or Milagro. I laugh when idiots come up to the bar and order $16 patron shots.

ade06
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I prefer Don Julio, but I have a buddy that thinks Herradura Reposado is king.

irratebass
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Patron is the only Tequila I like, and ike someone else said only for shots.

01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Never had Anejo. All I know is I like drinking shots of Silver as long as it's chilled.

icehog3
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I like Patron. Are there better tequilas? Absolutely, but most of them are much more expensive. I do like Don Julio, and several higher end tequilas that probably 90% would not recognize the names.

1800 is garbage. Along with any other brand name alcohol promoted by a has-been Soprano's actor.

Cabo Wabo? I'd laugh at any idiot who would pay $2 for a shot of those. ;)

Mattso3000
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
For the price point, Don Julio is much better. Can't agree with Tom on this, Cabo Wabo is also better than Patron Anejo.

icehog3
01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
For the price point, Don Julio is much better. Can't agree with Tom on this, Cabo Wabo is also better than Patron Anejo.

That's OK, Matt, at least you didn't call anyone an idiot. :D

Mattso3000
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
That's OK, Matt, at least you didn't call anyone an idiot. :D

Oh, and I would pay $2 for a shot:D

icehog3
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh, and I would pay $2 for a shot:D

Yeah, I might too. :r

forgop
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Patron is made for the masses and therefore is a much more milder version of tequila. It's OK, but Don Julio and the like are much better.

^^^Truth^^^

hammondc
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Agree with you, bro. Not a fan. Even folks down here in little mexico do not drink much of it.

Frodo
01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
On the Blue Agave forum, Patron is known as wildly over-priced ho-hum distillate. Favorites there are El Tesoro and Casa Noble. I tried a couple of pours of the Patron Anejo and I had the same reaction as OP. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.

Bill86
01-28-2012, 10:29 AM
On the Blue Agave forum, Patron is known as wildly over-priced ho-hum distillate. Favorites there are El Tesoro and Casa Noble. I tried a couple of pours of the Patron Anejo and I had the same reaction as OP. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.

I hear good things about Casa Noble, never heard of El Tesoro.

But seriously people need to consider distribution. While these may be the favorites over there, they might not be available to everyone.

Also, on Cigar Asylum forum I hear many people like a lot of different cigars and there is no top 3, 5, 10, 50 or any single favorite by all ;)

galaga
01-28-2012, 10:45 AM

BTW, if you like a good inexpensive reposado try Cazadores.
:tpd:
I agree. You have to like the taste of agave. Cazadores, El Jimador, Herradura, Sauza Hornitos, and Espolon are good reposados that are easy to find in SoCal at least. :2

dwoodward
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Glad to see I'm not going crazy. Patron must be one of those, you like it, or you don't things, just like anything else.

I'll have to try a couple of the bottles mentioned here, the selection here has recently skyrocketed with the new wine & spirits at a nearby grocery store. They will order in anything you want as well, so no excuses. lol

:tpd:
I agree. You have to like the taste of agave. Cazadores, El Jimador, Herradura, Sauza Hornitos, and Espolon are good reposados that are easy to find in SoCal at least. :2

This stuff is my go to for a killer margarita. You can pick it up for around $20 a bottle here.

Frodo
01-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Glad to see I'm not going crazy. Patron must be one of those, you like it, or you don't things, just like anything else.

Patron benefits from aggressive product placement (like in True Blood) so it is recognized readily. The packaging also draws the eye. I've found with tequila more often than with whisky, you are paying for the packaging not what's inside the bottle.

icehog3
01-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Had a few fingers of Patron last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Bill86
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
There is a WHOLE LOT of liquor you are paying for the packaging. But what's really wrong with that? Couple extra bucks on a premium price bottle so it looks nice, fine by me.

By the way I don't think the Patron bottle is anything special or that they are marketing a "cool" bottle.

Check this bottle
http://for-lovers.com/store/tequila/penca-azul-blanco.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2181&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=7465712d3030313432&sid=8ff49jkke05s2js63ki1d0bs16

And the Tequila is fantastic too!

Frodo
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Glad you found something that hits your tastebone. My current faves are 7 Leguas and 1921 - both are brands not mentioned alot. Given that they are both reasonably priced, I'm happy. I did find that El Tesoro is not my thing, although I would never say that on the Blue Agave forum for fear of public tar and feathering...

Frodo
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Check this bottle
http://for-lovers.com/store/tequila/penca-azul-blanco.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2181&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=7465712d3030313432&sid=8ff49jkke05s2js63ki1d0bs16

And the Tequila is fantastic too!

I had a sample of Penca Azul once (repo I think). Had a "minty" flavour to it if I remember correctly. Worked well in the flavour profile.

icehog3
01-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Glad you found something that hits your tastebone. My current faves are 7 Leguas and 1921 - both are brands not mentioned alot. Given that they are both reasonably priced, I'm happy. I did find that El Tesoro is not my thing, although I would never say that on the Blue Agave forum for fear of public tar and feathering...

Just a decent moderately priced sipping one, I wait until it goes on a big sale at my local liquor joint, then use a coupon and get the big 1.75 liter for just over $40, much lower than the usual price. There are high end tequilas I enjoy much more for sipping, but price dictates that those are consumed a little more conservatively.

montecristo#2
01-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I like Patron in margaritas, but I usually do not sip Tequila, so that could be the difference.

For me, Patron is middle of the pack in terms of price. I do think it is better than Cuervo and the stuff they usually use in margaritas.

I prefer Partida and Milagro Single Barrell, but it is more expensive than Patron.

I have had Cazadore a couple of times and it is good and a couple of dollars cheaper than Patron.

I usually get Patron in a three pack at Costco when they have them and it comes out to around $30-35 a bottle, which is much better than Bevmo and the supermarket.

Bill86
01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I had a sample of Penca Azul once (repo I think). Had a "minty" flavour to it if I remember correctly. Worked well in the flavour profile.

I can't remember. I enjoyed the Penca Azul lineup, maybe a bit too much as I don't remember any flavors :r

Very nice bottles though, just wish they were a bit cheaper.

hammondc
01-29-2012, 01:53 PM
\
I prefer Partida.....

me too!.... Nuff said!

montecristo#2
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
me too!.... Nuff said!

I would say Partida Anejo is #1 for me right now. At least around me, it is 1.5 to 2x the price of Patron.

I grabbed some 50 ml bottlea of Casa Noble last week to give it a try. It has been recommended a couple of times. They had the reposado and anejo.

Frodo
01-30-2012, 12:31 AM

Just a decent moderately priced sipping one, I wait until it goes on a big sale at my local liquor joint, then use a coupon and get the big 1.75 liter for just over $40, much lower than the usual price. There are high end tequilas I enjoy much more for sipping, but price dictates that those are consumed a little more conservatively.

Yeah - at that price I'd be a buyer as well...

hammondc
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I would say Partida Anejo is #1 for me right now. At least around me, it is 1.5 to 2x the price of Patron.

It is actually on sale and thus less than Patron here pretty often. The last time I bought it was at Twin Liquors. 2 bottles for $65.

Another BADASS tequila with super limited distribution is Cavalino. Super inexpensive and the reposado is DAMN near as good as Partida. You have to close to mexico to get it. If you ever see it, buy it. Chincey bottle and packaging, but do not be fooled.