PDA

View Full Version : Is it just not worth smoking during winter?

icantbejon
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Seems like every cigar I've lit over the last few months has been insanely dried out. All of them have cracked and split, either while I was smoking or before I lit the damn thing. And it's been from multiple sources, not just my personal humi. Getting quite frustrated at this point. Ugh. :td:td

pektel
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't smoke much during the winter. Well, not many cigars. I smoke a pipe in the winter mostly. Your issue is probably from the more fragile wrapper drying out/shrinking from the lack of humidity before the binder/filler have time to react.

icantbejon
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
It just drives me crazy!

Blak Smyth
01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I usually light up in the garage and don't really have to many issues, other than my hands and feet getting cold.

icehog3
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
When I was on midnight shift me and some of the boys would often get together around 3AM for a cigar outside....often below zero. Didn't have any burn or splitting issues, just cold feet and hands.

GreekGodX
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I just try to pick something short because I don't like being cold. No other problems :)

irratebass
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
I hate smoking in the wintertime, haven't had any problems with splits or cracks or anything, I just HATE being cold.

CigarNut
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I usually light up in the garage and don't really have to many issues, other than my hands and feet getting cold.I smoke in the garage as well -- and I have a couple of heaters so the cold is not really an issue.

If it's nice outside (not windy or rainy) I might smoke out back on the deck -- and I have a couple of heaters there as well.

Finally, if I have the time I just head over to The Mark at the local Shilo Inn -- a cigar bar.

It's nice to have options :D

ade06
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I just drink some Bourbon or Scotch and stick with a smaller cigar. My patio is protected from the wind so no problems here!

ktblunden
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I usually smoke quite a bit less during winter, but mostly because it's just not comfortable. Though lately I have been enjoying quite a few sticks sitting in the hot tub.

14holestogie
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I usually smoke quite a bit less during winter, but mostly because it's just not comfortable. Though lately I have been enjoying quite a few sticks sitting in the hot tub.

^ This. Hot tub, insulated garage, heater for after. I'm good for hours. :D

Hem
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Yea I know how you guys feel....80 and sunny here today :r

crazyirishman
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
You all suck. Just saying.

:r:r:r:r

BSB
01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Sure am glad I set up a smoking room, upstairs in my house. Well vented so there's no issues with smell in the rest of the house, AT ALL. I feel for yous guys, no fun smoking outside when it's cold. I smoke outside, all Summer long and then Aug thru Nov, while I'm on the road. Sometimes I wonder why I'm bothering.

Bageland2000
01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Smoking in the cold is just not worth it IMHO. Smoking is for relaxation and you can't do that when you're freezing. I'm stocking up this year so when the warmer temps come through, I can have plenty of sticks to enjoy. I do go to a B&M by me once in a while when I really want a stick.

crazyirishman
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Smoking in the cold is just not worth it IMHO. Smoking is for relaxation and you can't do that when you're freezing. I'm stocking up this year so when the warmer temps come through, I can have plenty of sticks to enjoy. I do go to a B&M by me once in a while when I really want a stick.

That and it gives you an excuse that the non-cigar smoking public will understand for letting sticks sit in your humidor for months on end without being smoked.

shilala
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I refuse to go out and smoke in the cold, myself. I hide from the cold, I hate it.
I grab a smoke in the car when I'm on a road trip or if I go somewhere that allows smoking, or on vacation, or at a B&M.
So far this month I've probably smoked about 8 cigars. That's real good for January. We have a herf this weekend so I might finish up the month with a dozen or so, that's gotta be a January record for me. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Smoke outside during the winter too. No problems with the cigar, just a bit nipply outside.... I mean nippy:r

icantbejon
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Perhaps it's just exceptionally poor luck for me. Just a long series of dried out smokes for this guy.

colinb913
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't smoke outside, unless its summer. I just smoke at work, so I am not really affected.
Posted via Mobile Device

krb
01-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Perhaps it's just exceptionally poor luck for me. Just a long series of dried out smokes for this guy.

Within a 10 minute drive of my house I have a nice B&M store with a lounge and 2 bars that allow cigars. So during the winter I don't smoke as much, but I can still smoke.

I have not had any issues with dryness. My cooler and humidor both hold the humidity at the same levels as always and for transporting I have some plastic tubes that seal nice and tight. If anything, I find that the cigars burn more reliably because a lot of times during the summer humidity is too high. I'm in northern VA so we should be dealing with pretty much the same conditions.

coty
01-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I just have to do a stiff upper lip and deal with the cold, I enjoy smoking too much.

BnBTobacco
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
It's quite cold. Used to smoke by the porch. Tried smoking by the fire place but I'm thinking of my sons.

Jasonw560
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
What is this "cold" of which you speak?

Maestro
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I used to dread the winters in NY. It felt like I never had the chance to open the humidor. Since moving to TX though.. well..