PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Sh*%ty cigars

44stampede
01-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Just a informal poll of what to do with the crappy cigars you ended up with.

I have to get rid of quite a few...

I understand the troops need some but I am in Singapore. Not that I am opposed to sending some but it makes it a little tougher.

Not sure if this is allowed but I bought a bunch of cigars from Thompson and now know I paid too much for crappy cigars. I am not blaming the company (I understand as a business man that we need to make a profit) but it won't stop me from saying that I would disregard most of the reviews and buy from somewhere else.

Everything I bought from them before I knew anything "on sale" has turned out to be garbage. Even if it wasn't that cheap on sale! Again, it's my own fault but I just want to warn the rest of you.

That is all :)

Cheers

Bill86
01-21-2012, 01:59 AM
I only had maybe 10-12...just tossed them in the trash. Same thing with a crappy lit cigar or something that is disappointing, pitch it.

Remo
01-21-2012, 02:04 AM
I only had maybe 10-12...just tossed them in the trash. Same thing with a crappy lit cigar or something that is disappointing, pitch it.

I am going with Bomb Frank :gary

maninblack
01-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I would never send the troops some crappy cigars. Cheaper cigars maybe, but not some nasty dog rockets. They are over there serving our country and sacrificing for all of us. Just toss the suckers in the trash.

kelmac07
01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I would never send the troops some crappy cigars. Cheaper cigars maybe, but not some nasty dog rockets. They are over there serving our country and sacrificing for all of us. Just toss the suckers in the trash.

:tpd:

pnoon
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
If they are Thompson brand, pitch 'em.

If not, search for them here on CA. You never know, someone may like them. Then you could send them to someone who would enjoy them.

jluck
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM

I was told to not worry about quality when sending to the troops, they are happy to get anything and worst case they can pitch them. I have some I don't care for that I was going to pitch but I figured what the heck there's still some room in the box. I am sending them some good stuff too.

Blak Smyth
01-21-2012, 11:08 AM

I disagree, I think any cigars should go to the troops. I would far rather have a dog rocket than nothing if I was over there. And many troops are not cigar smokers and just want something to relax them for a few minutes. I know before I was smoking all the time I was fine smoking anything, it all tasted fine to me. I don't know maybe I'm wrong I just think anything (even dog rockets) is better than nothing to our troops. I say send them.

If you are uncomfortable sending them to our troops then send then to Frank (he has an empty Humi) or Remo (he deserves them):r

crazyirishman
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree with Shane on this one.

Even if the troop in question is a cigar smoker who's used to smoking Padrons or OpusX, the fact that someone had the thought to send them anything and then go through the "trouble" of sending them even turd sticks would bring a smile to their faces. I'm hard pressed to believe that any service member has opened up an unsolicited gift from someone Stateside that they've never met as a measure of support and been disappointed.

But that's just me.

Remo
01-21-2012, 11:16 AM
If you are uncomfortable sending them to our troops then send then to ME and my ZOMBIES as we are already dead and can't taste anyways!:r

Fixed

sikk50
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
My vote would go for troops, but given your location that doesn't sound like an option

maninblack
01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Sorry I just don't feel comfortable sending the troops some crappy sticks just because I wanna get rid of them. I feel they deserve more than that. Just my two cents.

crazyirishman
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Sorry I just don't feel comfortable sending the troops some crappy sticks just because I wanna get rid of them. I feel they deserve more than that. Just my two cents.

I'm sure they appreciate that :)

maninblack
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
If I wanna get rid of crappy sticks I'll just send them your way.

lenguamor
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Bad cigars compost nicely; just remove the bands first.

44stampede
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
If I wanna get rid of crappy sticks I'll just send them your way.
Not sure if you're intentionally being rude or what but don't appreciate it.

44stampede
01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
If they are Thompson brand, pitch 'em.

If not, search for them here on CA. You never know, someone may like them. Then you could send them to someone who would enjoy them.
These are Gurkhas that I am talking about and I guess I exaggerated the crappiness. They certainly are not the worst thing I have smoked but I don't like them.

I would just chuck them if they were unsmokable.

jluck
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
If you were in this country I would take em. I say just let them age, give it a year nothin to loose.

Emjaysmash
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
If they arev Gurkahs, send them to the troops. Or maybe sell them? There are people who enjoy Gurkhas. Hell, I'd take em.

maninblack
01-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Not sure if you're intentionally being rude or what but don't appreciate it.

It wasn't aimed at you and it was meant as a joke.

CasaDooley
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
If it's prohibitive to send them to the troops, why don't you just save them and offer them to friends when the opportunity arises. Just because you don't like em doesn't mean no one else will (despite what the Gurkha haters say :r).
Just my :2.

Whee
01-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Ghurkha's? Where's Bobby? He'll take them off your hands.:r

CigarSquid
01-21-2012, 02:10 PM

You can always put a note with your sticks. I was going to toss these but wanted you guys to sort thru them. If you want to toss them go ahead. Thanks for serving.

Something like that is what I'd do.

Tredegar
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Send them back to Thompsons'?

SteelCityBoy
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Ha! ^^^ :tu

Fordman4ever
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM

:sl:gary:r:tpd:

akumushi
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
If you feel bad giving the troops only dog rockets, then throw in a fiver of decent sticks as well to fill in the package. I am any troop support is good troop support, as it's been said, not all of them are big cigar smokers and some may just want a few puffs on something to take their mind off the stress of duty. If they don't enjoy the cigar, they can pitch it, it was after all, free.

shilala
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
To put to rest the Gurkha/dog rocket thing, Shawn and Mike, two of our Coasties we support, just did a dual review on a couple Gurkhas they smoked.
Not only did they enjoy them, they were the highlight of their day, and they thought so much of our brothers that sent them, they thanked us numerous times as they smoked them.
It goes directly to "smoke what you like". I personally would rather take a sharp stick in the eye than be forced to smoke a Tatuaje. It certainly doesn't mean someone else won't like those dog rockets.
Spouting what someone should send or should not send to the troops does one thing. It causes guys to be self-conscious about what they send. It's counter-productive, lends no support to our effort, and only serves to make sure less people share for fear they'll be looked down on for their contributions.
I can confidently guarantee that they appreciate each and every cigar we send, regardless of its brand, origin, or rashly assigned rocket status. They might even enjoy chucking a Cremosa in the sand and having a good laugh about how awful it was.
"They deserve better for their service" is very true. They deserve to have the opportunity to be loved without an individual feeling that what they're doing is not enough. To take that chance away through a not so carefully constructed comment is a damned sight more damaging than sending a handful of Gurkhas, that's for sure.

maconusmile
01-21-2012, 11:46 PM
How do you guys send cigars to the troops anyways? Is there a specfic address that you use? I know you can donate money to internet cigar suppliers and they send them but how does a guy go about sending them himself? I may be interested in sending some sticks over there myself. Thanks

maconusmile
01-22-2012, 12:06 AM
um.. sorry you can disreguard that last post. I found the link "support our troops" my bad!

Stinky
01-22-2012, 12:07 AM
How do you guys send cigars to the troops anyways? Is there a specfic address that you use? I know you can donate money to internet cigar suppliers and they send them but how does a guy go about sending them himself? I may be interested in sending some sticks over there myself. Thanks

someone send him some addresses.

Also contact shiala with a private message.

As for what cigars to send: They're all good. After all, they appreciate the gift. Good idea to include some of your personal favorites. Include a note! Nothing wrong with Gurkha! Like any brand . . . some like em . . . some don't.

Flounder
01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
I usually will pay them forward. There are some cigars I've had that I thought were just garbage, namely, Consuegras(sp?). But I did read that someone thought that they were a GREAT cheap stick. So I saved them, and gave my last 4 to my buddy on his birthday under the stipulation that he may or may not like them.

Sonic04GT
01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I disagree, I think any cigars should go to the troops. I would far rather have a dog rocket than nothing if I was over there. And many troops are not cigar smokers and just want something to relax them for a few minutes. I know before I was smoking all the time I was fine smoking anything, it all tasted fine to me. I don't know maybe I'm wrong I just think anything (even dog rockets) is better than nothing to our troops. I say send them.

If you are uncomfortable sending them to our troops then send then to Frank (he has an empty Humi) or Remo (he deserves them):r

I agree. When I was in Iraq I would smoke anything! haha Especially if it was free.

GuitarSgt63
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
You can always put a note with your sticks. I was going to toss these but wanted you guys to sort thru them. If you want to toss them go ahead. Thanks for serving.

Something like that is what I'd do.

Hey, I'm n Afghanistan time now and after reading this I need say -

(1) Thank You to all that do support us

(2) [for me] my friend told me about this site after giving me a cigar from you guys. Been here for 7 months and only have two care packages from family

(3 n final)
Yes, just about anything that is support from home is appreciated - like a gift from heaven. Anyone that has been here know this is the wild wild west, so any kind of stick {dog rocket, sh*t stick WHO CARES} more that likely it will be smoked.

ApexAZ
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
I personally like some Gurkhas for cheaper every day smoke. The wrappers are fragile and can be a PITA though.

lenguamor
01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Every cigar made for any significant length of time, is liked or loved by many; enough people to keep production going.

You think they keep making Cremosas just so us snarky bastards can get a bundle every 5 years or so to torment our brethren with? No...somebody—a lot of somebodies—like them and keep buying them.

That's why even if I absolutely hate a cigar upon trying it, if I have more I hang on to them until I find someone who likes them. Sending them to the troops is a terrific and generous option for those sticks that you don't care for.

But not Cremosas. Please.