PDA

View Full Version : HBO Shows

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Which HBO shows have been the best all around shows? Sopranos will always be number one on my list, but I would put the Wire in second place. Third place is BofB. I haven't really seen enough of any other shows to make a list more than three. So what say you guys? I'd include Showtime shows, but I have a feeling their only good show is/was Dexter....

mase
01-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I think The Wire is my favorite TV show in the drama category. I just love the characters.

True Blood is kind of a popcorn show - nothing too deep. Deadwood was a pretty good show, but lost momentum. Six Feet Under was pretty good, but I lost track after a couple of seasons.

kelmac07
01-19-2012, 07:53 AM
The Wire and Oz

Blak Smyth
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
I used to love this show, wish it was still on:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4JA72jgiIMRwDFMr6m5m6PaOq1ef8D MoiiIXR0arXfinjiRucnMNvJkIB5A

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
The Wire and Oz

Oz looks like a good show. Does it take place inside the prison the whole show?

dave
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Band of Brothers and Curb Your Enthusiasm - Rome is in my Netflix queue....missed it first time around....looking forward to it

cricky101
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Loved the Sopranos and have all of them on DVD now. I liked Weeds on Showtime too.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Loved the Sopranos and have all of them on DVD now. I liked Weeds on Showtime too.

The first 3 seasons of Weeds were good. Kevin Nealon was great in that show.

elderboy02
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
I think Sopranos was the best. I am loving Boardwalk Empire. I just finished Season 1 of The Wire on HBO GO, and now I am starting Season 2

Wanger
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Which HBO shows have been the best all around shows? Sopranos will always be number one on my list, but I would put the Wire in second place. Third place is BofB. I haven't really seen enough of any other shows to make a list more than three. So what say you guys? I'd include Showtime shows, but I have a feeling their only good show is/was Dexter....

As was already mentioned, there is Weeds, and then there's Homeland, which is a new show that's off to a great start so far.

icehog3
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
The Wire is my #1, with The Sopranos a close second. Others I subscribed to on the TiVo were Oz, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and John From Cincinnati.

irratebass
01-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow, lots of love for The Wire, never seen it personally. Mine is:
Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Game OfThrones
East Bound & Down
OZ

icehog3
01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Boardwalk Empire
East Bound & Down

Two more I subscribed to and forgot to list. :tu

kelmac07
01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Oz looks like a good show. Does it take place inside the prison the whole show?

Yes...with little cut-ins of how they landed themselves in prison.

yourchoice
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
So many great shows on HBO. My order of preference:

The Wire
Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Entourage
True Blood
Hung

Season 1 of Game of Thrones was great, IMHO, and I'm not generally a fan of the fantasy genre. It definitely has the chance to move up the list. I purposefully left out their miniseries, but Band of Brothers was also outstanding.

The only show I really watch on Showtime is Californication. Very funny.

Beagleone
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Well since you added Showtime to the mix, these are the ones I've liked from both networks:

The Sopranos
Rome
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Homeland
Californication (although this season has gotten a unusually slow start)
Weeds
True Blood

Parshooter
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Curb and Eastbound

Stephen
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Not counting BoB since it really wasn't a television series, I'd probably list (of what I've seen) them something like this...

1. Sopranos
2. The Larry Sanders Show
3. Oz
4. The Wire
5. Deadwood

*have never seen an episode of Six Feet Under or Big Love, which a lot of people have nothing but great things to say about*

yachties23
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Sopranos to me was fail after season 2. I think the Pine Barrens episode is the only really great one of the last few seasons.

So far Boardwalk and GoT have been aswesome.

How to make it in america is also really good.

Band of Brothers was perhaps the greatest thing ever produced on television.

CigarNut
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
True Blood on HBO, Shameless on Showtime...

Beagleone
01-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Shameless on Showtime...

DOH! I forgot about that one. I do like Shameless.

Bill86
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
HBO
The Wire is the best show ever, period.
I'd give Boardwalk second
Dexter third (last few seasons are so-so - good)
Entourage 4th (last few seasons were pretty bad)
Couldn't get through Sopranos (6th season was the worst thing ever, 5th season was pretty terrible. First 3 would ALMOST give the wire a run for it's money) or Deadwood (too slow YAWN)

Showtime
Californication (excellent show, Duchovny is gold)

Shows like Weeds, Eastbound and Down, and Game of Thrones I have a very big love/hate relationship with so I wouldn't rank them.

rebelknight
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Using a mix of both networks in order i like:

Six feet under
Dexter
californication
Flight of the concords
Game of thrones
Entourage
Weeds
Curb your enthusiasm
true blood

That's how I'm feeling today but those ranks change daily. I have to watch some of those other shows like sopranos and oz that were a bit before my time

Wanger
01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Wife and I went to a Halloween party as Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones this year. One of our favorite shows.

OLS
01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Band of Brothers is the measuring stick for sure, for me. But right now, and granted, I am only through the
second episode, but I DIG Game of Thrones. It takes balls to make a period show that far back but the payoff
is tremendous. There is so much to like about the show, and again, it could all fall apart any time now, lots of shows
are great in the beginning. I know I am going to watch 2-3 more this weekend and start in on Homeland.

Blak Smyth
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Using a mix of both networks in order i like:

Six feet under
Dexter
californication
Flight of the concords
Game of thrones
Entourage
Weeds
Curb your enthusiasm
true blood

That's how I'm feeling today but those ranks change daily. I have to watch some of those other shows like sopranos and oz that were a bit before my time

:tu Me and the wife have been watching all the seasons on dvd!

Carmack
01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Six Feet Under is really good if you're into dramas. The mother is super annoying though (she plays the old Nanny in American Horror Story)

mase
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
HBO
The Wire is the best show ever, period.

Amen

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Eastbound and Down returns Feb. 19th. Looking forward to that. Also Luck looks interesting...

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Was hoping Luck would be better... I'll watch another episode though.

Bill86
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Awesome, they still calling season 3 of EB&D the finale season?

I enjoyed the first season, second wasn't bad.

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Awesome, they still calling season 3 of EB&D the finale season?

I enjoyed the first season, second wasn't bad.

I liked the first season better than the second. I'm looking forward to season 3. Should be hilarious:tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Anyone watching the new EBAD season? Pretty good so far I think.

elderboy02
02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I finished The Wire on Wednesday. I think it is one of the best series that I have ever seen.

mase
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I finished The Wire on Wednesday. I think it is one of the best series that I have ever seen.

It's incredible, isn't it?

elderboy02
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
It's incredible, isn't it?

It is amazing how many different things they touch on. The characters were great too. Bubs was great. I thought it was funny how Omar would whistle the song to The Farmer In The Dell when walking thru the alleys :r

mase
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
It is amazing how many different things they touch on. The characters were great too. Bubs was great. I thought it was funny how Omar would whistle the song to The Farmer In The Dell when walking thru the alleys :r

Everyone has faults. You end up loving the drunk cops (Bunk and McNulty). You even end up liking some of the criminals (Omar, Wallace, Sobotka). I loved when Omar testified in court. My favorite drama of all time.

Da Klugs
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
SHowtime has 2 series I am addicted to:

Shameless
House of Lies

elderboy02
02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Everyone has faults. You end up loving the drunk cops (Bunk and McNulty). You even end up liking some of the criminals (Omar, Wallace, Sobotka). I loved when Omar testified in court. My favorite drama of all time.

Omar testifying in court was awesome.

Levy: "So you make your living off of drug dealers"
Omar: "Just like you"

Oh Snap!!!! :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
New episode of EBaD tonight.

mase
03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Omar testifying in court was awesome.

Levy: "So you make your living off of drug dealers"
Omar: "Just like you"

Oh Snap!!!! :r

"I got the gun...you got the briefcase."

Bill86
03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
SHowtime has 2 series I am addicted to:

Shameless
House of Lies

Hmm I've not seen either of these.....Time to look into them.

New episode of EBaD tonight.

:banger So far this season is very interesting and quite funny. I'm liking it better than the season 2.

tengel78
03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Deadwood, Band of Brothers, and Sopranos were my favorite. I also really enjoyed Entourage, Oz, and Big Love.

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Hmm I've not seen either of these.....Time to look into them.

:banger So far this season is very interesting and quite funny. I'm liking it better than the season 2.

This new season has been good so far. I agree on season 2, it wasn't that funny.

Bill86
03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
This new season has been good so far. I agree on season 2, it wasn't that funny.

Yeah I was really bummed out with that one. That kinda made me understand why they were limiting it at 3 seasons. Because the first season was hilarious.

I just looked up Shameless and House of Lies on IMDB. I'm smelling two back to back marathons to catch up :r

Digs
03-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Band of Brothers :tu Would also love to see The Pacfic

But then I haven't had HB0 for a couple year I switched packages, got sick of every time I turned on 1 of the 10 or so HB0's that asshole Bill Maher was on one of them..... :pu

chand
03-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I used to love this show, wish it was still on:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4JA72jgiIMRwDFMr6m5m6PaOq1ef8D MoiiIXR0arXfinjiRucnMNvJkIB5A

I have never gotten over the cancellation of that show.