PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Nissan Murano or a Ford Edge?

Sauer Grapes
01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
How do you like them? How has the reliability been?

We are also considering the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, but my wife likes the Murano and Edge better.

pnoon
01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I am a big fan of the Highlander, David. I owned an 05 until I bought a 2010 and sold the 05 to my daughter.
Posted via Mobile Device

J0eybb
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I have a co worker with a Ford Edge. She hates it. transmission failure, electrical short in her tailight.

Sauer Grapes
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a co worker with a Ford Edge. She hates it. transmission failure, electrical short in her tailight.

Interesting. Is a newer one? I've been checking out the Edmunds forums and it looks like transmission issues aren't uncommon, unfortunately.

J0eybb
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
2007. It was just out of warranty 50k+ miles, but Ford covered it anyway. I only assumed that it was common if they helped her anyway.

Sauer Grapes
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I am a big fan of the Highlander, David. I owned an 05 until I bought a 2010 and sold the 05 to my daughter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roughly what mileage do you get out of the 2010 Highlander?

kydsid
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Haven't had either, but I will say the Murano has a variant or has the venerable VQ35DE V6 which is one of the best engines of all time. I have had a couple vehicles with that engine, its awesome and reliable beyound reproach.

Now if the Murano has Nissan's CVT run the hell away. They have never gotten the CVT right and I'm a big Nissan fan.

I have driven both and have to say the ride and driveability I like the Edge better.

If you are interested in reliability and mpg rating try www.truedelta.com. You can see all their data just by answering their questionaire about your current vehicle.

Sauer Grapes
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link. The Murano does have the CVT (as does my current altima hybrid). I know they extended the CVT warranties to 120,000 miles or 10 years on all their vehicles, which is nice, but also unsettling if they felt they had to do that.

I know that the Murano doesn't get great reliability ratings on Edmunds.

Dave128
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I own a 2009 Highlander and I'm a huge fan. The thing rides like a car. Very solid ride that gets around 17-20 (sometimes more)mpg on the highway.

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I own a 2009 Ford Edge, it is a good car.
Handles excellent, can't complain about anything.
I have 100,000 miles on it already. Never had any issues.

Fordman4ever
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Ford has really been working out their issues lately. Their newer model vehicles are just awesome.

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM

I was wrong, it's a 2008!!!

And there is one problem, the battery terminals get corroded sometimes and need cleaned when we have a state inspection. I think it has happened twice.

J0eybb
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I want an F250 if that matters. I'm not sure I can give up my 2 door coupe.

Fordman4ever
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I love the super duty. such a mean looking truck. I want one really bad.

pnoon
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Roughly what mileage do you get out of the 2010 Highlander?
19-26 mpg. Mostly 19-23.
6 cyl Limited
Posted via Mobile Device

Blak Smyth
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
The lifetime mpg "average" for my Edge is 20. It is a limited. It is loaded minus navigation.
I have owned it since new, and I have a friend that has purchased a used one without any issues.
I personally don't like the way the Nissans look, but can't say anything about quality.

Chainsaw13
01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a 2011 Edge AWD SEL. It's been a good vehicle. Gets upwards of 26-27 mpg on the highway doing 70-72, about 17-19 in the city. I've had a couple minor issues that were fixed under warranty, things like a door seal making noise, nothing major. This past weekend I towed two snowmobiles in a covered trailer and got 14mpg.

Once they get the newest version of the My Ford Touch out, itll fix that system.

68TriShield
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Ford has really been working out their issues lately. Their newer model vehicles are just awesome.

David,I'll add a +1 for the Ford product/s.
They as a company have really stepped up their engineering and quality.
I'm pretty sure we'll replace the wife's explorer with an Edge.

Dave128
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
19-26 mpg. Mostly 19-23.
6 cyl Limited
Posted via Mobile Device

I checked last night and this is much closer to what I get out of my 6 cyl Sport.

BigCat
01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
My mom has had an edge for a few years now. She has to have about 130,000 miles on it - hasn't had any problems.

My sister-in-law has one as well, but it has only been about a year. She loves it and hasn't had any problems.

James In NC
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Another happy Edge owner here. 2009 Model bought used in 2010 with low mileage. Only thing I have done to it was have the window guards put on it and a mat for the rear (folds out to cover the backs of the rear seats when you lay them down. Getting 21-23 most of the time, can do better when I tame my foot.

I am a big man and I found several of the other mid-size SUVs to be very narrow and cramped feeling.

Isom-niac2
01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
FWIW...I was recently at a horrific traffic accident involving a 2011 Ford Edge that literaaly sheared off the front of the car and crushed the driver/passenger compartments. The car rolled several times before hitting a light pole and guard rail. Due to the multiple airbags the car had, specifically the side airbags, both the driver and passenger (who wasn't wearing his seatbelt) walked away uninjured. The traffic investigator said he's never seen anyone survive such a horrific crash much less walk away uninjured!

I don't own one, but I was impressed at the safety of this car.

Blak Smyth
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Another happy Edge owner here. 2009 Model bought used in 2010 with low mileage. Only thing I have done to it was have the window guards put on it and a mat for the rear (folds out to cover the backs of the rear seats when you lay them down. Getting 21-23 most of the time, can do better when I tame my foot.

I am a big man and I found several of the other mid-size SUVs to be very narrow and cramped feeling.

That is my favorite thing, it has leg and head room!
With the front seats all the way back the rear seat still have room.
I am glad they didn't try to squeeze in a third row like alot of other small suvs did.

FWIW...I was recently at a horrific traffic accident involving a 2011 Ford Edge that literaaly sheared off the front of the car and crushed the driver/passenger compartments. The car rolled several times before hitting a light pole and guard rail. Due to the multiple airbags the car had, specifically the side airbags, both the driver and passenger (who wasn't wearing his seatbelt) walked away uninjured. The traffic investigator said he's never seen anyone survive such a horrific crash much less walk away uninjured!

Good to know since my wife drives it:tu

aich75013
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
My wife drives a 2012 Highlander Limited. It has a nice smooth ride and gets 20-21 mpg with mixed city/highway driving.
We didn't look at the Edge because she wanted a 3rd row seat, but I am a Ford man otherwise. She didn't even look at the Explorers because she doesn't like the way mine rides.

Sauer Grapes
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Not that it guarantees a similar outcome if it were to happen again, but that is good to know.

Neither my wife or I are vertically gifted, so the leg room probably won't be an issue. She does like the idea of a 3rd row seat like the highlander has, but we don't need it at this point. The Edge being rated at 27 MPG HWY is nice as well, compared to the Murano, Highlander, and others.

VTDragon
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm on my second Ford Edge. Had a 2007 and liked it so much that I got a 2010 when the lease ran out. Both are AWD SL versions. They are great in the snow, get decent milage, (18-19 around town and 22-24 highway- not bad for AWD), and have lots of rom in them. I have had zero mechanical difficulties with either one and recommend the Edge highly.

Chainsaw13
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
The Edge being rated at 27 MPG HWY is nice as well, compared to the Murano, Highlander, and others.

If you're looking at new, the 2012 Edge with the 2.0L Ecoboost motor, in front wheel drive, is rated at 30mpg highway. That's a direct injection turbo 4 cyl motor. They did their homework with the Ecoboost motors. The one going into the pickup is a beast.

Sauer Grapes
01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
If you're looking at new, the 2012 Edge with the 2.0L Ecoboost motor, in front wheel drive, is rated at 30mpg highway. That's a direct injection turbo 4 cyl motor. They did their homework with the Ecoboost motors. The one going into the pickup is a beast.

For the Edge I'm probably looking at the V6 FWD version. I just don't know if I can justify the extra $1000 for the EcoBoost.

AWD isn't necessary where we are moving this fall.

Thrak
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Haven't had either, but I will say the Murano has a variant or has the venerable VQ35DE V6 which is one of the best engines of all time. I have had a couple vehicles with that engine, its awesome and reliable beyound reproach.

I wouldnt go that far.. after my expeirences with that engine in 2 different cars, I'll never own a Nissan again, much less a VQ35 based one. The low tensions rings cause the engine to burn oil like crazy. Its so bad that in the rev-up 350z's that Nissan had to come out and claim 1qt of oil every 1000miles is normal.... yeah right. The plugs are a nightmare to do, oil changes suck if its a FWD configuration, and the pcv valves gum up practically the same day you put it in because theres so much blow-by...

I'm adding oil every 2-3 weeks in my wifes Altima 3.5, and no leaks or drips anywhere to be seen... I cant wait to trade this lump in.

OTOH, my 4Runner is rock solid. We're leaning towards a Highlander for her next vehicle too because we've had such good luck w/ the 4R.

Sauer Grapes
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I wouldnt go that far.. after my expeirences with that engine in 2 different cars, I'll never own a Nissan again, much less a VQ35 based one. The low tensions rings cause the engine to burn oil like crazy. Its so bad that in the rev-up 350z's that Nissan had to come out and claim 1qt of oil every 1000miles is normal.... yeah right. The plugs are a nightmare to do, oil changes suck if its a FWD configuration, and the pcv valves gum up practically the same day you put it in because theres so much blow-by...

I'm adding oil every 2-3 weeks in my wifes Altima 3.5, and no leaks or drips anywhere to be seen... I cant wait to trade this lump in.

OTOH, my 4Runner is rock solid. We're leaning towards a Highlander for her next vehicle too because we've had such good luck w/ the 4R.

From what I read on edmunds and truedelta, that is actually a common issue on the older highlanders as well. Hopefully the current model doesn't have the issues (didn't see any reports it did).

kydsid
01-19-2012, 04:33 PM

I'd put it the other way around. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. But I've thrashed more than my share of VQ engines and had them keep ticking. Never found oil changes or plugs to be any harder than any other vehicle.

Plus the fact that a VQ engine has been on Ward's list of best engines damn near every year that list has come out and the reliability data you can get a sense that its a great series of engines. Not everyone of them is gonna be perfect though and I will gladly admit the VQ35DE is prone to shearing oil cosumption, but so are toyota's engines.

crazyirishman
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

There can be only one!

Thrak
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Not everyone of them is gonna be perfect though and I will gladly admit the VQ35DE is prone to shearing oil cosumption, but so are toyota's engines.

Yeah, but toyota hasnt had to do thousands of engine replacements, causing them to change their oil consumption policy.

:sh

FWIW, its the only car I've worked on that required removal of the entire intake manifold to get to the rear plugs.

Digs
01-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, but toyota hasnt had to do thousands of engine replacements, causing them to change their oil consumption policy.

No they just have the Prius that runs away in kills it operators and passengers.

Digs
01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I had a Murano for 3 years it's was an awsome vehicle, the CVT transmission kicked a-s. I traded it for VW Tourage which has been great but still live the Maurano.

Digs
01-19-2012, 04:54 PM

OTOH, my 4Runner is rock solid. We're leaning towards a Highlander for her next vehicle too because we've haJd such good luck w/ the 4R.

Hum I had a 07 with the 6spd used every day for work and went 5,000 miles on oil changes never noticed a drop low? I ran it so hard I needed tires every 10,000 miles! Traded it at 105,000 miles for my hummer.

kydsid
01-19-2012, 05:00 PM

FWIW, its the only car I've worked on that required removal of the entire intake manifold to get to the rear plugs.

Toyota also doesn't have a nimble sports car with a high reving torquee V6 that somehow makes everyone drive it into the ground. I think they could have told 350Z owners to go pound sand. Most of the complaints I see surround the 350Z and G35 owners, both cars prone to hard driving.

And I have had to remove the intake manifold on a Ford Taurus and Hyundai Sonata myself to do plug changes, so it certainly isn't the only one like that.

Sauer Grapes
01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
FWIW, my current car is an Altima Hybrid and it has been pretty much perfect so far. That being said, Edmunds.com is full of people who've needed their engines replaced in the hybrid or other engine work. Carbon deposits seem to be a common issue in the hybrids. I've used synthetic since the 2nd oil change, so maybe that's why I've been lucky.

RGD.
01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
My daughter bought a used 2007 Edge SEL AWD a few months ago that is fairly well loaded, NAV, big ass moon roof, leather seating, etc etc.

She absolutely loves it.

The convenience features, a gazillion cup holders, iPod interface, good pickup, wide stance, very stable - excellent car so far. She is taking her first road trip this weekend in it.

I and the wife have really been impressed with it also to the fact that when the wife decides to get rid of her Crown Vic the Edge is where we will be headed.

A note of the AWD - it's not full time. On tire slip then the computer takes over and activates the AWD and traction control. Dash indicators let you know whats going on.

Ron

Sauer Grapes
01-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Ron! I remembered your post about her purchase. I'm glad she's still really happy with it.

We still need to drive the highlander and pilot. We both really like the edge. We can get a heck of a deal on a Murano SL 2wd (less than $31k after destination charge).

I think we'll probably wait until next month or even later before buying though.

Thrak
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Toyota also doesn't have a nimble sports car with a high reving torquee V6 that somehow makes everyone drive it into the ground. I think they could have told 350Z owners to go pound sand. Most of the complaints I see surround the 350Z and G35 owners, both cars prone to hard driving.

Thats true, toyota doesnt have ANY sports car now... I think they pushed that segment to Lexus.

When you put an engine in a sports car and tout its high revving engine, it should be expected to take it. To me, it points to either a lack of attention to detail or an 'IDGAF' attitude... either doesnt sit well with me, and when you throw in the 4-cyl issues they had (pre-cat substrate breaks apart and gets sucked back into the combustion chamber, scoring the cylinder and thus high oil consumption and lack of power), my overall view of Nissan drivetrains is pretty sour.

They've just had a lot of issues that make me go wtf... remember the titans blowing out rear diffs all over the place? I mean its kinda funny, but sad at the same time, when yet another Titan recall comes out and people rejoice that finally their truck isnt part one lol...

Sauer Grapes
03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
So, we ended up buying a car that didn't even get discussed in this thread. We picked up a honda pilot this weekend. Got a heck of a deal as well.

Still have to sell our current car. Anyone in the Chicago area need a car that gets good gas mileage?