PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a humidor full

Brenner
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey everyone,
Newbie here. Just wanted to post a question for the seasoned cigar aficionados. I just recently received couple boxes of cigars for my birthday and had to immediately buy a humidor that I found on Craigslist to store them in. I seasoned the humidor and everything before storing the cigars.

My concern is that the boxes of cigars I received may not have had proper humidity for maybe over a month since they were brought from overseas. On top of that, I found out that after storing them in the humidor and finally replacing the hygrometer with a digi one, that they were even more subjected to improper humidity for a while. I'm worried that my cigars are now dried out especially the ones not in tubes. I've done the pinch test, they seem ok, but just looking at them, they look a little dry. I attached a picture, would you be able to tell me if they look dry or not? Or do they look fine and Im too paranoid as a newbie?

http://brenners.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img00621-20120115-1603.jpg?w=450

Help!

Thank you.
-Brenner

Steelerfanatic
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
The pic is hard to tell. If you did the squeeze test then you should be fine. Smoke one and find out! MIght want to invest in a larger cooler and some beads for future purchases.

Enjoy!

MurphysLaw
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
You should be fine, cigars are more resilient than most people think, give them a couple weeks at a constant RH and you should be good to go.

Emjaysmash
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Welcome to Cigar Asylum! If you haven't yet, post a newbie intro post over in the New Inmates section of the forum, and tell us a little about yourself!

You cigars may or may not be on the dry side, it is hard to tell. Do they burn quicker than normal and often over heat? This usually is a sign of low humidity.

Like the others said, Leaving them in the humidor at the proper humidity for a few weeks will return them to their normal state.

Savor the Stick
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Welcome to Cigar Asylum! If you haven't yet, post a newbie intro post over in the New Inmates section of the forum, and tell us a little about yourself!

You cigars may or may not be on the dry side, it is hard to tell. Do they burn quicker than normal and often over heat? This usually is a sign of low humidity.

Like the others said, Leaving them in the humidor at the proper humidity for a few weeks will return them to their normal state.

:tpd:

But as to what Murph said a couple of weeks may not be enough time. I would give it more like 4 weeks to really stabilize the RH inside the cigar. IMHO

Congrats on the cigars and welcome to the Asylum!:we

BnBTobacco
01-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Everything should be fine, welcome to the Asylum brother!

Brenner
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I feel a lot better about them now. It's been bugging me since I switched from the analog hygrometer that was in the humidor with the cigars for almost a month now that indicated 74%, to the digital hygrometer just yesterday that now indicates 54%.

I will take the advice on the beads/crystals. I also tried tightening the seams of the box inside by wedging thin cedar strips from the tubed cigars to make it even more air tight. I might try to seal the lip of the box with something too to prevent leakage.

Thanks again for welcoming me, I'll keep them in there and hopefully the humidity rises soon.

Cheers!
-Brenner

CigarSquid
01-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Way to get into it.. gifted!

DaBear
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
54% is low, but not too low, really you're only a few percent out of ideal range(at least IMO)

Plus winter is always tough on my humidor. In the summer my humi is generally pretty consistent around 70-72%, but come winter it drops and varies during the day from 59-63%. The decrease in humidity has never really bothered me or made any noticable difference.

44stampede
01-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Welcome!

goomer
01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
the digital hygrometer just yesterday that now indicates 54%.

Don't forget to calibrate the hygrometer. You may end up over-humidifying your sticks if the hygrometer is off on the low side. Over-humidifying leads to mold.

CigarSquid
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't forget to calibrate the hygrometer. You may end up over-humidifying your sticks if the hygrometer is off on the low side. Over-humidifying leads to mold.

And mold on cigars means wasting cigars!:sl

ysr_racer
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Put them in tupperware with a Boveda Humi Pack, and you'll be fine.

Brenner
01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks again for the continued feedback, the hygrometer I got is from Diamond Crown and the instructions indicated that there was no calibration needed. Should I still calibrate?

I just got the Dr. RH 2oz gel humidifier and popped it in there yesterday, I left it over night and this morning I checked the humidity climbed to 56%, how long should it take for humidity to reach 70%?

I did the dollar bill test around the humidor, although it didn't drag the humidor at all, it did require a little more tugging to pull the dollar out. Could it possibly be my humidor?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll post a formal introduction on myself soon as mjaysmash suggested.

Thanks guys! This is great!

Ncpsycho
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I would still calibrate it --it cant hurt to be sure

CigarNut
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I would still calibrate it --it cant hurt to be sure
http://fun.resplace.net/Emoticons/Holding_Signs/DittoSign.gif

Better safe than sorry...

Blak Smyth
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Welcome to CA! Looks like you are off to a good start!

Hem
01-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Wow awesome way to get into the hobby! Good idea buying that humidor...but are you sure its big enough :) :) :)

hdryder
01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Wow awesome way to get into the hobby! Good idea buying that humidor...but are you sure its big enough :) :) :)

Knowing how this "hobby" turns into a obsesion it wont be big enough for long :D

Brenner
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow, calibrated the hygrometer, and its off by 5%, so I have to add +5 from here on out.