PDA

View Full Version : Off-gassing

Bageland2000
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
A guy at a cigar store in Long Grove, IL today showed me a pretty amazing trick. Have any of you heard of off-gassing? Apparently when cigars age (especially when they're full bodied) they give off ammonia gas. Ammonia tastes bitter when ignited and can ruin cigars. Here's what he had me do.

1. Light the cigar as normal
2. Smoke about 1/4 inch
3. Round off the ash in the ashtray.
4. Place the cigar in your mouth at a 45 degree angle above perpendicular to the floor.
5. As you blow very hard through the cigar, hold a soft flame at the end of the cigar.

The flame ignited the ammonia, and after the flame was removed (as I continued to blow through the cigar) there was a blue flame like the end of the cigar was a torch lighter! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I repeated after rotated the cigar, then waited about 30 seconds. The flavor profile was improved like 5 times! All bitterness was gone. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's heard of this!?:confused:

CigarSquid
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I have heard of purging, but not lighting the purge.

Bill86
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah people call it fire purging or flame purging or something like that.

colinb913
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Basically all you did was a purge with lighting the purged gases a flame. Thats how I do it, just because I think it looks cool. :P

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I think pnoon knows something about this gassing...:r

CigarSquid
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Basically all you did was a purge with lighting the purged gases a flame. Thats how I do it, just because I think it looks cool. :P

I will try it next time I smoke.

Glad I only see him over the comp:r

Bageland2000
01-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I was under the impression that a purge was a quick blow through the cigar. Didn't realize that it took a good ten seconds to get all the ammonia out (proven be the fact that the flame was there for that long) I mean it REALLY changed the way the smoke tasted.

I'll bet he doesn't light them:r

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I want to apologize in advance to Peter, it was a "rude and unattractive" thing for me to say about him:r:r:r

RevSmoke
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM

I'm sure he isn't the only one here who knows about gassing.

Right MJ? :r

Ismith75
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
A guy at a cigar store in Long Grove, IL today showed me a pretty amazing trick. Have any of you heard of off-gassing? Apparently when cigars age (especially when they're full bodied) they give off ammonia gas. Ammonia tastes bitter when ignited and can ruin cigars. Here's what he had me do.

1. Light the cigar as normal
2. Smoke about 1/4 inch
3. Round off the ash in the ashtray.
4. Place the cigar in your mouth at a 45 degree angle above perpendicular to the floor.
5. As you blow very hard through the cigar, hold a soft flame at the end of the cigar.

The flame ignited the ammonia, and after the flame was removed (as I continued to blow through the cigar) there was a blue flame like the end of the cigar was a torch lighter! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I repeated after rotated the cigar, then waited about 30 seconds. The flavor profile was improved like 5 times! All bitterness was gone. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's heard of this!?:confused:

I'm at that shop all the time. We'll have to meet for a smoke.

RevSmoke
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Flame purging (as I call it) can be done anytime in the smoking of a cigar. If it get bitter, blow through the lit cigar for a complete breath, 30-90 seconds.

Then, using a flame (preferably a soft flame - that's a yellow flame -vs- a torch, blue flame) held up to the foot, blow through the cigar. This will "purge" the amonia and other things causing bitterness, burning the off is the purge process.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

44stampede
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
This is super cool. The things you learn...

crazyirishman
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I had no idea about any of this "nonsense".

I mean I purge every so often when I smoke by blowing for about 10 seconds or or so, but I had no idea that it took 6 to 9 times that to get it out.

Question: Is holding a flame to the purge merely for theatrical purposes?

Carrying two lighters with me (torch and soft flame) while standing in a river while my other hand holds a fly rod might be a little difficult...

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZi2ZlHbMGs :r

Sorry for the thread jack, back on topic:tu

coty
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I hate to be the only one who is like wow thats freggin amazing but WOW THATS FREGGIN AMAZING. Here I have been waiting for the celo to yellow out before I smoked a cigar to get the ammonia out of it. The taste is crazy better!

Savor the Stick
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I do the flame purge, and continue until the flame cannot be sustained; then I know all of the unburned, nastiness is out of the cigar.---Usually about twice in a toro sized cigar.
I do this when the taste of the cigar gets off, or bitter. Also maduro's tend to need this more. and helps to correct burn issues as well.

Volusianator
01-12-2012, 11:37 PM
If a cigar is smoked at a proper pace, very rarely will it ever need to be purged. Doing is just cause it "looks cool" shows your immaturity in cigars.

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
This is super cool. The things you learn...
glad I could bring this to the light of day for you!

I had no idea about any of this "nonsense".

I mean I purge every so often when I smoke by blowing for about 10 seconds or or so, but I had no idea that it took 6 to 9 times that to get it out.

Question: Is holding a flame to the purge merely for theatrical purposes?

Carrying two lighters with me (torch and soft flame) while standing in a river while my other hand holds a fly rod might be a little difficult...
that's the exact question I asked the guy at the shop. he said that the flame does draw out the ammonia. either way it looks cool :D
I hate to be the only one who is like wow thats freggin amazing but WOW THATS FREGGIN AMAZING. Here I have been waiting for the celo to yellow out before I smoked a cigar to get the ammonia out of it. The taste is crazy better!
literally my thoughts exactly. I was amazed at how much the flavor changed.
If a cigar is smoked at a proper pace, very rarely will it ever need to be purged. Doing is just cause it "looks cool" shows your immaturity in cigars.
haters gotta hate

Dr Voss
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Awesome, I just learned my new thing of the day. I knew there was a reason I was spending so much time around here.

I apologize up front if my immaturity is offensive to anyone, but :fu :noon :fu

44stampede
01-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Parlour trick or not, I'm trying it. Not necessarily the lighting part but if I can purge to help the taste then why not?

Blak Smyth
01-13-2012, 05:33 AM
This is a known technique.
You can also do it without the flame for improved smoke whenever your stick doesn't taste just right.

RevSmoke
01-13-2012, 06:37 AM

I shouldn't have added amonia to the things listed that are removed in a purge, I don't know that for sure. I do know that there are times a cigar can get bitter, if it happens, it is usually after the half-way point. If it happens, a purge can often be beneficial.

I have never heard of purging a cigar immediately upon lighting it.

RevSmoke
01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

I am a slow smoker by most standards, an AF or Punch Rothschild is an hour smoke for me.

I also could care less if I have a blue flame coming off the end of my cigar.

Having said that, I have had cigars with a good inch to 2 inches left which had gotten bitter and I was contemplating pitching them. A quick purge, and they were back in the zone - sometimes even their best flavor of the whole smoke.

Of course, I have also purged a cigar, taken a couple more puffs, then pitched it. Sometimes, there are just some bad smokes.

hdryder
01-13-2012, 07:08 AM
I have been purging after lighting for a long time just to expel some of the heat from lighting with the torch. I believe that purging to often adds moisture to the cigar also throwing the taste off.

ktblunden
01-13-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll purge a cigar for about 10 seconds or so every time I knock the ash off. Works for me and I haven't noticed any benefit of using a flame, I think that's just theatrics.

BHalbrooks
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
I want to apologize in advance to Peter, it was a "rude and unattractive" thing for me to say about him:r:r:r
Pfft, I stand by what I said :noon
I am a slow smoker by most standards, an AF or Punch Rothschild is an hour smoke for me.

Having said that, I have had cigars with a good inch to 2 inches left which had gotten bitter and I was contemplating pitching them. A quick purge, and they were back in the zone - sometimes even their best flavor of the whole smoke.

Of course, I have also purged a cigar, taken a couple more puffs, then pitched it. Sometimes, there are just some bad smokes.
So how do you purge? I'm really confused by all this. I've never heard of it.

pnoon
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I'd answer your question but you find me to be constantly rude. And nobody wants that.
:tg
Posted via Mobile Device

Doctorossi
01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I'd answer your question but you find me to be constantly rude.

He finds you to be regularly rude, Peter- and constantly unattractive. :r

pnoon
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
:sad
Posted via Mobile Device

BHalbrooks
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd answer your question but you find me to be constantly rude. And nobody wants that.
:tg
Posted via Mobile Device
Whatta low blow :r
At least you worded it right haha.
Man, you all hold on to stuff way too much lol

hotreds
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
As long as we're not binging and purging I guess it's all good!

kelmac07
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Barry (bscottskangum) does this all the time. I've had success a few times using this technique.

Doctorossi
01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
:sad

We still love you, anyway, Peter. :tu

BSB
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM

HOLY CRAP! For once I agree with you ;)

joeobx
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I tend to smoke a little fast so I'll sometimes do this a couple of times withor without the flame, about halfway and the last 3rd.
I do love the looks you get when you use a flame in bumper to bumper traffic on 95 :D

BSB
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I tend to smoke a little fast so I'll sometimes do this a couple of times withor without the flame, about halfway and the last 3rd.
I do love the looks you get when you use a flame in bumper to bumper traffic on 95 :D :eek: :lr

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I shouldn't have added amonia to the things listed that are removed in a purge, I don't know that for sure. I do know that there are times a cigar can get bitter, if it happens, it is usually after the half-way point. If it happens, a purge can often be beneficial.

I have never heard of purging a cigar immediately upon lighting it.

Neither had I. My thoughts though, all that blue flame was proof that the ammonia was there. And my tastebuds don't lie

Volusianator
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
No doubt Todd purging a cigar will bring it back to life and smooth it out. I did it way more often in my early years of smoking cigars, then it seems once you really establish a good technique for smoking, the harshness doesn't happen as often and even when it does, it doesn't seem to bother me that much. Rarely do I ever purge these days, but it sure does clean out that stick and make it new again.

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm at that shop all the time. We'll have to meet for a smoke.

For sure. I'm free next week and CaM is only a ten minute drive or so with decent weather/traffic. Shoot me a PM if you wanna grab a smoke brother-(P

coty
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Cigar immaturity..... not cool man, let us enjoy ourselves and the new things we discover without judment.

Doctorossi
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Cigar immaturity..... not cool man, let us enjoy ourselves and the new things we discover without judment.

:tpd:

Things that "look cool" are a big part of the aesthetic pleasure of the hobby.

Jason
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
No doubt Todd purging a cigar will bring it back to life and smooth it out. I did it way more often in my early years of smoking cigars, then it seems once you really establish a good technique for smoking, the harshness doesn't happen as often and even when it does, it doesn't seem to bother me that much. Rarely do I ever purge these days, but it sure does clean out that stick and make it new again.

Not only "good technique" but with experience comes knowing what cigars are on and what cigars are off. You can sniff an unlit cigar and become familiar with the smell that is screaming "don't smoke me yet"

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
:tpd:

Things that "look cool" are a big part of the aesthetic pleasure of the hobby.

Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog- now that's immature..

Doctorossi
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog- now that's immature..

:tu

Hem
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I had no idea to even do this....definitely going to try it next time I light one up!

ApexAZ
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm officially sold on the purge. At first (months ago) I didn't think it helped, but I didn't know that it required several seconds of blowing either. I've had several cigars since this thread was started and a long purge has improved every one of them. I also think that lighting it is beneficial in that it gives you a visual indicator of when it's completely exhausted.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that a lengthy blow on a long stick could result in so much tastiness!

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I didn't know that a lengthy blow on a long stick could result in so much tastiness!

ENOUGH! It's happening

...Most people don't like the taste! but then again, most people aren't fortunate enough to be picky and only blow the long ones.

Mattso3000
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
ENOUGH! It's happening

...Most people don't like the taste! but then again, most people aren't fortunate enough to be picky and only blow the long ones.

:lr:lr
Just tried lighting the purge (typed "this" but felt the need to clarify) and didn't feel immature at all.

BC-Axeman
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Had to check...ammonia in non-flammable under normal conditions, without a catalyst.

I purge cigars without lighting the gasses whenever I think it will help the flavor, usually towards the end of smoking it. It normally only lasts a few puffs before it needs it again. There was a thread here about purging right after lighting to remove the flame gasses, but that didn't require lighting the gasses. If they are out of the cigar then I won't waste lighter fuel on them.

cjhalbrooks
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I am going to try the purge i had the bitterness. And to all the "mature" smokers that have been sure to state as such. I have to smoke fast at work so lay off and just dont post

RevSmoke
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM

I purge rarely as well. Sometimes, but not often. There are some cigars that seem to benefit more from it than others. When I do it, it is because something really foul has crept into the smoke. It is at the point of "purge or pitch it".

hapi
01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I try too. Hope I don't mess up cigar

goomer
01-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I tried it today while smoking a ROTT RP Edge. I was surprised at how much the taste changed after purging. Definitely smoothed it out. I haven't had time to let the majority of my smokes age so I guess purging is a good alternative until some age awhile.

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
is it bad form to sticky request your own thread?

44stampede
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
What is a sticky?

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
What is a sticky?

its what happens when you give a lengthy blow on a long stick

UpInSmoke
01-13-2012, 09:38 PM

:=:

Hem
01-13-2012, 09:45 PM
gave it a shot tonight and i was impressed. definitely works.

Bageland2000
01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
gave it a shot tonight and i was impressed. definitely works.

Can I get a 2nd to my motion?

goomer
01-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Can I get a 2nd to my motion?

I'll second that! Great way to get rid of the bitterness for us newbs and those who just don't have the patience to let them age.

44stampede
01-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Nice dude :)
Figured it out

nick2021
01-14-2012, 08:43 AM
going to try this today lol

BC-Axeman
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Purging should be added to the sticky on smoking technique.

backwoods357
01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Purging should be added to the sticky on smoking technique.

I second this. Doesn't need it's own sticky.

Thrak
01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm surprised how many people havent heard of this...

I wonder if the people that havent heard of this are fairly new to cigars. I've been enjoying them for about 5 years and I just thought this was a "known"...

I almost always purge, but flame purge at night cuz it looks cool. :D Once I singed my eyebrows, so be careful when purging a full bodied stick when its in the last 3rd!

crazyirishman
01-15-2012, 12:30 AM
The things you learn here...

After watching the David "Doc Stogie" Diaz tutorial on YouTube, I learned very quickly how to do both this technique and retrohaling, both of which have greatly improved my cigar smoking experience.

I love the interwebs.

maconusmile
01-15-2012, 03:47 AM
cool... getting ready to try this here in a few minutes

jcruse64
01-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Had to check...ammonia in non-flammable under normal conditions, without a catalyst.

Glad you looked; saved me the trouble, as I was thinking the same thing. Tobacco leaves, like lots of Carbon-based substances, will have some volatile organic compounds in it. Another thing that would be present in burning of tobacco leaves, like many other Carbon compounds, is Carbon Monoxide, which IS highly flammable. In the burning of a cigar, combustion of the leaves can be "incomplete", for lack of a better description, and instead of making just Carbon Dioxide from leaf combustion, some Carbon Monoxide is formed also. This flammable compound could build in the stogie also. Purge it out of the stick with an open flame and you will see what is being discussed. I would not think so with ammonia alone.

Also would not think purging would cool the torch-lit end of a cigar, as one member posted. You are forcefully adding air to embers; it will only help combustion and heat up more. Try it on a larger scale by using a leaf blower to help you get a brush fire going, if you're not having much luck; it WILL fan those embers into flame.

jluck
01-15-2012, 06:09 AM
I did this tonight with a little ACID wafe (It's all I had available)....that tiny little thing made a fire ball for 8-10 seconds. I was quite suprised as I expected maybe 1 or 2 seconds at the most.

Bageland2000
01-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I did this tonight with a little ACID wafe (It's all I had available)....that tiny little thing made a fire ball for 8-10 seconds. I was quite suprised as I expected maybe 1 or 2 seconds at the most.

Yea I've purged in the past, but only for like 2 seconds and I never thought it helped. I guess this is why

bruceolee
03-22-2022, 07:45 AM
I know! who comments on a thread 10 years old but i was gonna do my own thread about this subject until i found it here. I just did this for the first time and was impressed with the results. Now, does every cigar need this? No. but it helped the cigar i'm smoking kill that ammonia taste and it'll be a tool i use going forwards now. Anyways, I was just excited by the results today. God bless you all!

Bageland2000
03-22-2022, 10:51 AM
Hey, thanks for reviving my old-ass thread! Glad it's still helping people :):banger

borndead1
09-14-2022, 01:28 PM
I used to flame purge quite a bit, but blowing your moist breath through a cigar, even though it can eliminate those chemical flavors, can make the cigar burn and draw poorly IMO.

A cool gadget that could blow air through a cigar without dampening the tobacco would be awesome.

bonjing
09-14-2022, 02:42 PM
I used to flame purge quite a bit, but blowing your moist breath through a cigar, even though it can eliminate those chemical flavors, can make the cigar burn and draw poorly IMO.

A cool gadget that could blow air through a cigar without dampening the tobacco would be awesome.

Maybe one of those barrel coolers might work.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/accessories/5-top-barrel-cooler-options-so-you-dont-get-hot-under-the-collar/amp

RevSmoke
09-14-2022, 05:20 PM

You know, I have never had that happen that the moisture inherent in blowing out (mouth or otherwise) changed precipitously the burn or draw.

And by the way, when I "purge" (with our without a flame), it is a good 15 - 30 seconds.

Flavor changes can be INCREDIBLE...

If a cigar gets bitter, I purge.

Axeman
09-14-2022, 05:59 PM
You know, I have never had that happen that the moisture inherent in blowing out (mouth or otherwise) changed precipitously the burn or draw.

And by the way, when I "purge" (with our without a flame), it is a good 15 - 30 seconds.

Flavor changes can be INCREDIBLE...

If a cigar gets bitter, I purge.

I purge like this too. Especially when I have had to puff a cigar back to burning well. It cools it back off inside while keeping the end burning. The next puff is usually great. I never put a flame to it.

Porch Dweller
09-14-2022, 08:22 PM
Purging has always improved my smokes. I don't know if it affects the burn or not, but if so, touch-ups are a small price to pay.