PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha think of the new Van Halen?

Chainsaw13
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Just listened to the new VH song, "Tattoo" again. I can only hope the rest of the new album is better. This song sounds to me like a leftover from the Gary Cherone days (day? :D). I'm not saying I want a repeat of WACF or 1984, as I think bands should evolve their sound (lest you end up with AC/DC). However, this song definitely has the sound of a band that's been out of the music biz for a while.

maninblack
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
haven't heard it yet, but anxious to. I've seen what the prices are for their concerts this year and it looks like I'll be staying home for these. Crazy prices.

Doctorossi
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm not saying I want a repeat of WACF or 1984

I am. -(P

I haven't heard the single yet, but I can already tell you the background vocals are lacking. :r

Eleven
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
The only thing worse than this song, is watching the video.

This isn't Van Halen. It's the Van Halen brothers, a fat kid and Steve Martin on vocals.

I am disappoint.

Doctorossi
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
It's the Van Halen brothers, a fat kid and Steve Martin on vocals.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even the fat kid; Ed's been doing the studio bass parts for a while now.

irratebass
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I haven't heard it yet and based on the reviews I am not missing anything, they are coming here on 2/22, waiting on the ticket prices to see if going or not, the last time they rolled through here it was retarded expensive.

Ashcan Bill
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I just heard Tattoo. While I wouldn't call it horrible, it's a far cry from their heyday.

Doctorossi
01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I just heard Tattoo. While I wouldn't call it horrible, it's a far cry from their heyday.

:tpd: I'd put it square in the "passable b-side" category.

Chainsaw13
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm wondering if the absence of Michael Anthony played a part in how the lyrics where composed, to play around DLR's range. I sorely miss it, as it was a big part of the VH sound.

kelmac07
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
This song sucks a$$. :bh :bh

But at least their old stuff will sound right with DLR in concert.

E.J.
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Man, I am out of touch....didn't even know they had new stuff....

icehog3
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm wondering if the absence of Michael Anthony played a part in how the lyrics where composed, to play around DLR's range. I sorely miss it, as it was a big part of the VH sound.

A HUGE part of the sound, absolutely, Bob.

I saw them twice in the DLR era, on their debut tour (backing Black Sabbath), and in 1984. I fear that seeing them now will be nothing but a disappointment in comparison.

irratebass
01-11-2012, 04:00 AM
A HUGE part of the sound, absolutely, Bob.

I saw them twice in the DLR era, on their debut tour (backing Black Sabbath), and in 1984. I fear that seeing them now will be nothing but a disappointment in comparison.

I heard that Sammy Hagar is trying to get Michael Anthony to sue the VH brothers because they are using Mike's voice sample recording as backups, there is NO WAY Wolfgang can hit those notes. I hope Mike does sue, he is owed.

Tom I was in the 2nd row for the 84' tour right in front of Mike, truly an experience.

Barcode
01-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Not Impressed

hammondc
01-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Never was a big fan, but that new song is pure garbage. WTF? D they owe the label money or something?

jonumberone
01-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow!
WTF! :bh

I'm holding out hope the rest of the album isn't so bad!
I'm praying this song is the product of some Record exec saying "We need something with a hook"

Some observations on the Video:
Fully supports the stereotype white guys can't dance.
Lil' Woofie aint so Lil' anymore, I think he ate Michael Anthony.
I swear I saw the Grim Reaper looming over Alex! :D

MedicCook
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Bands need to know when to stop trying to make new music and that happened to VH a long long time ago. Be happy with what you have and tour on that. People don't want to spend money on your concert and hear your new crappy attempt at music, we want to hear the great music that made us love your band in the first place.

icehog3
01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Bands need to know when to stop trying to make new music and that happened to VH a long long time ago. Be happy with what you have and tour on that. People don't want to spend money on your concert and hear your new crappy attempt at music, we want to hear the great music that made us love your band in the first place.

Word. I saw Soundgarden on their first tour in almost 14 years this summer. Chris Cornell told the audience that they would have a new CD coming out in a few months...and then said "we will be playing nothing off that CD tonight, nothing post 1997". The show rocked, and I heard every SG song I wanted to hear.

jonumberone
01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Word. I saw Soundgarden on their first tour in almost 14 years this summer. Chris Cornell told the audience that they would have a new CD coming out in a few months...and then said "we will be playing nothing off that CD tonight, nothing post 1997". The show rocked, and I heard every SG song I wanted to hear.

The last time I saw Maiden, they played the "A matter of life and death" album cover to cover.
Came out for an encore, played Hallowed be thy name, and then left!
Since then I have refused to give them another cent of my money!

I did happen to catch VH when they reunited with Dave, would absolutely spend the coin to see them again! (as long as they don't play this new crap :D)

marge796
01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
VH's tattoo = :pn

Chris.....

rizzle
01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Interestingly enough, that isn't a new song. It's off their demo album in like '76 or so. It's not bad. What's going to be sorely lacking and odd to adjust to is the backing vocals. They sounded like me and my buddies trying to carry a tune at 12 yrs old. No way they can pull that off now. ;)

CasaDooley
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Just watched the video...Boy, did that suck! Was that a toilet I just heard flush? Ain't never gonna get that 4 minutes and 43 seconds back.:r

GTCanuk
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Trying to decide if it sucks a little or a lot. Leaning on the lot side thou!

GWN
01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Saw the reunion tour a few years back and enjoyed the show, though ticket prices were nuts. Dave's new persona seems to suit him. He did the old stuff justice, even if he has lost a few steps. This new song, though, not so great.
Like any touring band with a crappy new album, bide your time during the few new tracks they'll play and enjoy the classics.

Mikey202
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Watched the Tattoo video......it sucked. The song writing sucked. I went away from it thinking , " Why did they do that?" :confused:

I personally think they won't finish the tour. Dave and Eddie hate each other.

icehog3
01-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Tickets for main floor are $150 in Chicago. I won't be going unless some Cougar takes me. :r

Bill86
01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
I just heard this "tattoo" song today....just horrible. Sucks on levels I could never imagine.

icehog3
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I just heard this "tattoo" song today....just horrible. Sucks on levels I could never imagine.

It beats the odds by both sucking and blowing simultaneously. ;)

Bill86
01-13-2012, 12:11 AM
It beats the odds by both sucking and blowing simultaneously. ;)

:r

MedicCook
01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Remember from VH III when Eddie took on lead vocals for a song. If not let me remind you.

'How Many Say I'
http://youtu.be/K07gLBVeLR4

The original title for the song was actually 'How Many Say I Suck and Should Have Skipped Rehab and kept Drinking Myself to an Early Death' but they thought that was too long.

Doctorossi
01-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I won't be going unless some Cougar takes me. :r

Like the band, you're too old for Cougar interest, Tom.

;s

icehog3
01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Like the band, you're too old for Cougar interest, Tom.

;s

Truth hurts! :lr

Montano
01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Song sucks !! Looks like Wolfie needs Jenny Craig like his mom !!!

racerX
01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I really like it. I'm a homer and don't care. I'm going to see them on tour at least once and me, my wife and my friends will have a great time. :noon

A fan made a video that is much better than the van halen issued video. Here here if you care to see it.:banger
http://vimeo.com/35173319

racerX
02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Rolling Stone review below in case you want to check it out. Just my :2 - its a gift for all the old timey van halen fans like me. Try it - you'll like it.

By Rob Sheffield
February 9, 2012

We've earned this, right? When David Lee Roth and Van Halen went down their own separate mean streets in the Eighties, who paid the price? We did. Van Halen fans everywhere have suffered through the years, waiting for this reunion. We don't need it to be Fair Warning or Van Halen II. We don't even need it to be Diver Down. We just deserve a break.

Well, as the man used to say: one break, coming up. Van Halen's "heard you missed us, we're back" album is not only the most long-awaited reunion joint in the history of reunion joints, it is – against all reasonable expectations – a real Van Halen album. It's sonically closer to 1984 than to 5150, but it's closer to 1980's Women and Children First than to either – no synth glop, no ballads. Eddie always liked to compare the band's sound to "Godzilla waking up," but this is the real deal. And the old lizard sounds hungry to chomp some power lines.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/a-different-kind-of-truth-20120209#ixzz1n4Zv1T6B

jonumberone
02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Finally was able to listen to the new album.
Throw Tattoo away, and this is really good work.
Eddie is amazing, and Dave can still sing.
Stay Frosty reminds me of Ice Cream Man, and Bullethead shows that they still have an edge.
I'm glad they decided to make real music and not just cash in on the reunion.

Now if only Axl and Slash would see the light, all would be right in the universe!

Subvet642
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Maybe they can join the Platters and the Four Tops on the old fogy circuit.

kelmac07
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Gotta agree with Dom on this one...the album isn't bad at all. After I said I wasn't gonna touch it...I had to hear it. Throw away Tatoo (why did they release this as the first cut????) and it's a pretty good album. Eddie still can wail and David sounds much better the Vegas stuff he did. Stay Frosty immediately brought me back to Ice Cream Man too.

racerX
02-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Dom and Mac rejoining the Van Halen camp - love it.