PDA

View Full Version : Its That Easy!!!

Taki
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I just started a new job a few months back and got to know all my new coworkers really well over these past few weeks especially one in particular, Wanda. As I walked past Wanda's desk I saw she was collecting soda tabs (see picture below) and I asked why?? She explained that her nephew, who is only 5, has had 5 strokes and is having all sorts of problems with his heart, has been in and out of the hospital since he was born and he currently is still in the hospital for therapy and monitoring. She explained that when she donates these tabs to her nephew's hospital, his bill is substantially lowered/discounted. On top of all this, her nephews parents are struggling with all sorts of bills and that the father had just lost his job, leaving the mother to work non stop without seeing much of her son. Since they have to pay a certain percentage of their sons medical bills, Wanda my coworker, asked everyone at our office to help with this if we could and just take off the tab of every soda can we drink and place them on her desk. My thinking, since I have the ability to reach out to so many through CA and knowing how great BOTL's and SOTL's can be...if you can remember while your drinking your favorite soda with your smoke, or just any time of the day, please pull of the tab when your done and put them in a zip lock baggy or a USPS box. If you are willing to save and stock pile these tabs, I will gladly pay the shipping for a box, bag, or envelope so we can help this family out in there great time of need. All you have to do, is save soda tabs, Its That Easy!! PM when you have a bunch saved up and I will gladly pay for shipping!!
Thank you for taking time out to read this post and I hope we can make this work :tu
Taki
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/tioannidis/PART_1324143097528.jpg?t=1324948160

Ogre
12-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a plan!!!!

Remo
12-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Have done this locally for a friend, I don't drink soda but i'll try to save my wife's :tu and my beer ones :lr you should get plenty from me!

Taki
12-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Have done this locally for a friend, I don't drink soda but i'll try to save my wife's :tu

Thanks Brother...I appreciate any and all help :tu

Thanks Ogre :tu

Taki
12-26-2011, 06:48 PM
More Incentive for helping out with the above request...I will send out a care package, CA style, for anyone that fills a USPS box up with tabs. :tu

CigarGuy88
12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I wish you posted before I turned in all of my cans a week ago :/

SteelCityBoy
12-27-2011, 04:53 AM
This is a great cause Taki...

My wife is a diet coke fanatic and I have already told her to start saving these. You will certainly get help from a fellow Zombie on "The Wood."

CigarSquid
12-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Im in, I have a bin full of cans ready to recycle right now. I will pull the tabs off.

Side note, How does it help with the bill?

Dr Voss
12-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Done, Sounds like a great plan and I would love to help.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
I am saving what I can as well Taki.
Nice gesture of helping a coworker brother!

Silound
12-27-2011, 07:39 AM
I'll try to buy my beer in cans for a while here to help.

Curiosity overwhelms me though, why are the tabs so valuable in particular compared to the whole can? Is it just a size:value ratio thing or is there something about tabs that's more valuable?

dave
12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
The tabs are not valuable. I think I read that a million tabs will net you something less than $500.
I saved tabs for years for my grandfather's 'friend' or community group or something, but found after he stopped collecting that it was part of some urban myth.
Not saying that this one is, but it bears looking into just a little bit further. I applaud your desire to help, Taki - its just that the skeptic in me says I'd like to know just a little more about it.

Taki
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Well to try and answer all questions....I did this also as a kid way back in the day (saved up and donated to a local hospital) and from what I remember, they use the aluminum from the tabs to make a machine or something?? Not 100% sure but what I can do is definitely get a correct answer from my coworker so I have an accurate answer. I really do appreciate the response though on this thread :tu Stay tuned, I will get an answer tomorrow when I get to work and post it in the evening.

Taki
12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Have done this locally for a friend, I don't drink soda but i'll try to save my wife's :tu and my beer ones :lr you should get plenty from me!

Mike...do you know what exactly the hospitals use these tabs for?? At the moment I do not know the official answer and I don't want anyone thinking I am doing this for the wrong reasons or that I am just messing around, but again I will talk to my coworker tomorrow and post the answer. :tu

RGD.
12-27-2011, 08:38 PM
. . .
Curiosity overwhelms me though, why are the tabs so valuable in particular compared to the whole can? Is it just a size:value ratio thing or is there something about tabs that's more valuable?

The tabs are worth no more that any other part of the can. Sadly this is an urban myth that just won't go away. One pound of pull tabs is worth less than 70 cents. It would cost more to mail them then they are worth. According to reports, one million tabs is worth about $360.

My wife started to do this last year with a group of office workers so I looked into it back then. There are no buyers out there that will give anyone more than they are worth recycled. Period. And some recyclers won't even take them because people now think they are worth a lot of money.

The best bet to help out is to donate cash or organize a can collection drive (the whole can being worth a lot more than the tab alone), take them to any recyclers and donate the money.

Sorry.

Ron

HollywoodQue
12-28-2011, 05:02 AM
I will start doing that now also Taki...great gesture man.

Taki
12-28-2011, 06:00 AM
The tabs are worth no more that any other part of the can. Sadly this is an urban myth that just won't go away. One pound of pull tabs is worth less than 70 cents. It would cost more to mail them then they are worth. According to reports, one million tabs is worth about $360.

My wife started to do this last year with a group of office workers so I looked into it back then. There are no buyers out there that will give anyone more than they are worth recycled. Period. And some recyclers won't even take them because people now think they are worth a lot of money.

The best bet to help out is to donate cash or organize a can collection drive (the whole can being worth a lot more than the tab alone), take them to any recyclers and donate the money.

Sorry.

Ron

Ron,
Quick Answer...

"The Ronald McDonald House of Minneapolis, Minnesota was inspired by the rumor to actually create a tab collecting program. Now known as the Pop Tab Collection Recycling Program, it has helped raise over $4 million in funds for all participating U.S. houses.

Regardless of Ronald McDonald House collections, the rumor has cost countless numbers of people time and energy, and caused a lot of caring people much heartache."

I thought it was all rumors too and I thought it was nuts!! But it actually started a program years back. Figuring that we all drink soda or beer with tabs I just figured I would do something to help someone out :tu How it helps my coworkers newphew, I am going to have an answer shortly!! :tu

Blak Smyth
12-28-2011, 06:04 AM
This may help fellas!
Pop Tab Collections (http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/pop-tab-collections/)

Taki
12-28-2011, 06:06 AM
This may help fellas!
Pop Tab Collections (http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/pop-tab-collections/)

Thanks Shane!!! :tu

Silound
12-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Cool, I figured it was a symbolic thing, just wasn't aware that the RMDH actually had a collection for this.

Taki
12-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Cool, I figured it was a symbolic thing, just wasn't aware that the RMDH actually had a collection for this.

Yes, I just figured its an easy way to help donate, knowing that most people that do recycle want the cash. This way you still get the full amount for the can you recycle but RMHC gets the tab's which helps out in many more ways than people think. :tu :tu

GreekGodX
12-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I'll see if I can start collecting some, and get some friends to do the same. Great gesture Taki!

Taki
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Christos!! Appreciate the help :tu

Taki
01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
So Garry (garryyjr) decided this was for a good cause and figured he would help. He sent some tabs out the other day however they were not traveling alone!!!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l558/tioannidis/PART_1326647739253.jpg?t=1326650392

First off....I thank you Garry for all the help with collecting tabs, I am very glad to have met you through CA. It's just tabs but this is extremely helpful. Second, you went way out of your way by suppling some fantastic sticks with the tabs :tu I appreciate the gesture but it will not be something I forget!!

Again if anyone is out there drinking soda, beer or what have you, please take the tabs off and collect them, send them my way so we can all help out even if it is only a little bit :tu

Taki
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Please do not think for any chance that I started this to in some way expect cigars when sending tabs! As much as I appreciate the gesture, it is not for me, it is to help others in need!!!

Again, if you are collecting tabs, I appreciate all the help, just PM and I will send you some money for shipping and handling to send the tabs!!

CigarSquid
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I will continue to save mine until you say you don't need them anymore.

Taki
01-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I appreciate the help...:tu

ajacobs
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
The Ronald McDonald thing - as well as Shriners actually started because of the heartbreak the rumor caused. People spent tons of effort and time based on the rumor only to find out the tabs were worth no more than the scrap. Ronald McDonald and Shriners don't get any more for them then scrap weight but wanted to provide an outlet to accept those donations to lesson the blow of finding out it was just a rumor.

Edit: Found this link (http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp)

Taki
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I really appreciate all the help that I have received and still am receiving with this little project!!!

How this helps: The money generated (granted it is not millions) helps offset the cost of family memebers of treated patients staying near the hospital whether that is 1 day or 1 month, the Ronald McDonald Charity group helps pay for rooms.

How this helps my co-worker: Currently my co-workers nephew is still being treated monthly at the childrens hospital in Philadelphia. This generousity by the Ronald McDonald Charity allows my co-workers sister to stay nearby while her son receives treatment.

This is a great cause and I still am collecting tabs!!! (Big Thank You to Gary)

Thank you,
Taki

CigarSquid
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
No worries. I got no use for them. Glad you can use them.

maninblack
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
One of my dear friends does this because her son, who passéd away three years ago, was also in the hospital numerous times. We collect them and give them to her for the McDonald house. Small gesture that has a big impact.

Taki
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
One of my dear friends does this because her son, who passéd away three years ago, was also in the hospital numerous times. We collect them and give them to her for the McDonald house. Small gesture that has a big impact.

Amen brother :tu