PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment on Christmas Eve.

DMK
12-24-2011, 10:13 PM
The BIL and wifey had us over to their place this evening and finally handed me the 'box of Cubans' he brought back for me...:rolleyes:
The first clue...
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/DVC00904.jpg
no seal or hologram.
The second clue...
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/DVC00907.jpg
no factory or date codes.
The third clue....
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/DVC00908.jpg
paperboard sheet instead of cedar...
The sticks good pretty good for obvious fakes,
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/DVC00912.jpg
I'll dissect one tomorrow and see what the insides look like.
They look like they used the old Mille Fleurs boxes and the sticks are rolled to that gauge and length.

CigarNut
12-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear about this! At least he (BIL) meant well!

icehog3
12-24-2011, 10:31 PM
It's the thought that counts in this case, Darryl...Merry Christmas. :)

mikeespo
12-24-2011, 10:38 PM
i need the newsletter

ysr_racer
12-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Just say "Thank you", and move on.

pnoon
12-24-2011, 10:56 PM
i need the newsletter

:confused::confused::confused:

Bageland2000
12-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh well, maybe they'll taste delicious and be a Xmas miracle!

NCRadioMan
12-24-2011, 11:18 PM
i need the newsletter

Wow. *sigh*

The cigars themselves look decent. The bands even line up. I would, however, tell my BIL what they are. Stop the black market with education at all times possible, so no money is thrown away next time. But, I would probably tell him next week. :D

:2

mikeespo
12-24-2011, 11:46 PM
why sigh it says up there under his post does any newbs need the newsletter so i asked if i could get one

kelmac07
12-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear Darryl...but then again, it's the thought. Fill him in next week, so he doesn't make the same mistake twice. :D Merry Christmas!!

DMK
12-25-2011, 08:16 AM
The biggest upset is I was willing to educate them both before they left on their trip, as to where to buy, and more importantly where NOT to buy....:rolleyes:
I try to do this with all my good little mules, but they were 'too busy' to sit in on a class.:r
Like has been said, it's tempting to smile, say Thanks and move on.
I will however inform him of their true heritage after I cut one open later today to see what the insides look like.
More pics to come.

Taki
12-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Thought that counts...:tu:tu

DMK
12-25-2011, 08:23 AM
i need the newsletter

PM me your snail mail addy and I'll pop it in the mail sometime this week.:r

Ogre
12-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I agree, they tried. Give one a try, you never know.

ysr_racer
12-25-2011, 09:10 AM
In a lot of countries it's VERY inconsiderate to refuse or criticize a gift. America is one of those countries.

Just say "Thank you" and let it go.

cmitch
12-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Don't say anything UNLESS he asks how they were. Then, it would be considered inconsiderate to lie to him. Like in my case in another thread, I let my BIL down easy. Even though he refused the money I courteously offerred to pay him back, my MIL was not as generous since I found it was she that actually paid for them. I sent my SIL to get them but she was 'too busy' to visit the La Habana dealer so she assigned the task to her brother. All I can say is FOL's.

Blak Smyth
12-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Very thoughtful of your BIL. It is the thought that matters. Not everybody can understand the importance of cigars to us, it's a nice gesture.

ysr_racer
12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
If someone ever said they were unhappy with a gift I gave them, they wouldn't have to worry about that ever again.

One and done.

icehog3
12-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Educating someone to the existence of counterfeit cigars and telling someone you are "unhappy" with a gift are two completely different things. :2

SpruceBruce
12-26-2011, 08:22 PM
PM me your snail mail addy and I'll pop it in the mail sometime this week.:r

Although I'm hesitant to ask - what's the newsletter?

dave
12-27-2011, 08:08 AM

*sigh*

JK, bro ;s

DMK
12-27-2011, 08:17 AM

PM me your snail mail addy and I'll pop it in the mail sometime this week.:r:r

mase
12-27-2011, 09:44 AM

Yeah, it's awesome.

jsnake
12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Bummer. My brother-in-law did the same thing. I told him they were fake but I appreciated the gesture. Then we talked about how we knew they were fakes. He is going back this summer so hopefully he will remember.

SpruceBruce
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM

This feels like a trap, but I'm a sucker for curiosity killing.

MrClean
12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
This feels like a trap, but I'm a sucker for curiosity killing.

Nah, it's legit.

Salvelinus
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Nah, it's legit.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jDH2i5tfS0Q/TqtD8JAu92I/AAAAAAAALE8/2qqhLgOAYog/s1600/1%2524%2BBeer%2BSeems%2BLegit.jpg

Salvelinus
12-27-2011, 07:05 PM
I got a PM asking what I meant by the above post. I just thought it was a perfect setup for a comical "seems legit" photo, didn't mean to imply anything about the newsletter. My bad ;s

SpruceBruce
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I prefer:

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129151699640686314.jpg

BnBTobacco
12-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear what happened. But nevertheless, I hope you had a grand celebration.

Zeuceone
12-27-2011, 08:12 PM
What's a newsletter, I must have one...

deaster25
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
I need a newsletter also.

pnoon
12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I want one.

bvilchez
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I've been here at CA since it's inception and never heard of a newsletter. Who compiles the info and puts it together and mails it out?

T.G
12-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I never got a newsletter. :sad

Is it too late to get one now?

Bill86
12-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I got a Meth newsletter when I moved to TN. Does that count?

SpruceBruce
12-27-2011, 09:09 PM
:confused:
I'm seriously lost here.

:r

T.G
12-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I got a Meth newsletter when I moved to TN. Does that count?

Only when looking for a date.

You need the CA newsletter. Maybe you should ask for it too.

bobarian
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I never got a newsletter. :sh

GTCanuk
12-27-2011, 10:13 PM
As long as they didn't pay like they are real it might be ok. You never know how they are unless you try them. Had some pretty good fakes but also some pretty bad ones. Just give them a try:2

icehog3
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Newsletter Newsletter Newsletter!! :D

Savor the Stick
12-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I've been here at CA since it's inception and never heard of a newsletter. Who compiles the info and puts it together and mails it out?

You must have been sleeping the day the were taking requests....Darryl got one started and I received my advance copy.

sikk50
12-28-2011, 01:50 AM
What happened to those biology 101 pics of said cigars???

HollywoodQue
12-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Educating someone to the existence of counterfeit cigars and telling someone you are "unhappy" with a gift are two completely different things. :2

I agree Tom...education is key....why pay Mercedes Benz prices for a voltswagon???

JarvisAmadio
12-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear Darryl...my opinion ... in any case need to thank, to try, but then say that Fake is absolutely differs from the originals ... you need to properly convey the essence of the problem..it's difficult, but I'm sure, if you say correctly, he will appreciate it :)

I agree Tom...education is key....why pay Mercedes Benz prices for a voltswagon???

hahaha...excellent comparison...:tu
agree with you, guys =)

massphatness
12-28-2011, 07:14 AM

We used to have a MassHole Newsletter, but you had to be a MassHole instead of just an @sshole, Jay. :D

:mh

Zanaspus
12-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Hey Darryl, props on the last issue of the newsletter. It was awesome.

ysr_racer
12-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Agreed, I'm a noob here and I get it monthly.

replicant_argent
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
The newsletter goes over the all important rule of 3's.
I think.
I have never received one, and it would be wasted on me, for I am illiterate.

pnoon
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
I think if it is being offered as the "CA" newsletter then anyone who wants one should get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

replicant_argent
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I think if it is being offered as the "CA" newsletter then anyone who wants one should get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

but only those living in California, evidently.

massphatness
12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

This is why we called ours the MassHole Newsletter. Printing costs for all of CA would have sunk us.

DMK
01-03-2012, 07:03 PM
What happened to those biology 101 pics of said cigars???

Life got in the way ;s
Without further ado, the Autopsy of a beach cigar.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture001-1.jpg
A seemingly well put together cigar, 42 x 129 (5.1")
As seen earlier in what appears to be a Mille Fleur box without all the labels.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture005-1.jpg
Removed what appears to be a legit band.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture006.jpg
Proceeded to remove the cap, (nice job) and the wrapper.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture007-1.jpg
Next came the binder, again a nice job.

DMK
01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture008-1.jpg
The binder separated into two pieces.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/dmkincanada/Picture009-1.jpg
Finally the contents...:rolleyes:
At least in all appears to be tobacco.

DMK
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Once it warms up a bit, I'll burn one and see how it is.

Bageland2000
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Actually the last newsletter compared the Padron line to the Gurkha line ...Same thing as far as taste goes I guess. I'll be hording Gurkhas from now on. :dr

Digs
01-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Daryl I had similar situation a few years ago when my buddy returning home from Iraq brought me back the infamous glass top Cohiba's! Anyway I didnt tell him untill later on, all wasnt lost I have been using the box to store my smoked bands in. :tu

SteelCityBoy
01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Daryl I had similar situation a few years ago when my buddy returning home from Iraq brought me back the infamous glass top Cohiba's! Anyway I didnt tell him untill later on, all wasnt lost I have been using the box to store my smoked bands in. :tu

See, always a purpose for everything! :tu

shilala
01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Darryl, I tend to lean toward's Tom's line of thinking.
I'd smoke one and see how they are. That way you can say something like "they're not bad at all really, but I gotta tell you, they're counterfeit cc's"
My guess is that they got them in Cuba, and as such, they're very likely made from very real cuban tobacco, so they're as "real" as any other cc. As such, and after looking at your dissection, I bet they're gonna smoke pretty nice, even though they're not going to be true to the marca.
If you have another box handy it might give you opportunity to show them the differences like the cardboard insert. My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know? Folks that aren't involved and invested in this thing like we are would probably think a little thing like no date stamp and a cardboard insert doesn't really mean anything. Honestly, it might even be laughable to some people.
I'm sure you can think of a very tactful way to thank them and educate them.
On top of that, I bet you're going to have some nice, interesting homegrown cc's to smoke. Make sure you let us know how they are. :tu

chand
01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'd smoke one and see how they are. That way you can say something like "they're not bad at all really, but I gotta tell you, they're counterfeit cc's"
My guess is that they got them in Cuba, and as such, they're very likely made from very real cuban tobacco, so they're as "real" as any other cc. As such, and after looking at your dissection, I bet they're gonna smoke pretty nice, even though they're not going to be true to the marca.
If you have another box handy it might give you opportunity to show them the differences like the cardboard insert. My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know? Folks that aren't involved and invested in this thing like we are would probably think a little thing like no date stamp and a cardboard insert doesn't really mean anything. Honestly, it might even be laughable to some people.
On top of that, I bet you're going to have some nice, interesting homegrown cc's to smoke. Make sure you let us know how they are. :tu

+1. I want to know how they smoke too.

Blak Smyth
01-04-2012, 09:22 AM

I would just pull all the bands off and consider them mystery CCs:tu

chand
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I would just pull all the bands off and consider them mystery CCs:tu

If they some good, that is the way to go. On the plus side the gift giver would probably appreciate that they were getting smoked.

pnoon
01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
But I would not include them in any CC PIF here. Or try to have them appar to be RyJ CCs. If they are to be shared, full disclosure is imperative.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blak Smyth
01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
But I would not include them in any CC PIF here. Or try to have them appar to be RyJ CCs. If they are to be shared, full disclosure is imperative.
Posted via Mobile Device

:tu

DMK
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

These won't leave me, I'll smoke one once it warms up a little and will probably smoke my way through them if the first one is nice.

DMK
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM

They did get them in Cuba, they were also educated before they went, but as you said, "My guess is that since they didn't bother listening to you last time when you tried to explain things to them, they just think you're full of sh1t, ya know?"
I was tactful in thanking them for thinking of me, and also informing them the status and risk of their purchase.
They go down again in Mar. and I won't be asking for more.:rolleyes:

Coop
01-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Construction looked pretty good. Wonder how they'll smoke!!

Thanks for the dissect job. I did the same thing with some fake Cohiba's in a glass top

Doctorossi
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Construction looked pretty good.

The bands do indeed look legit, too, so...

there may be a fair amount of ingredients in this 'product' that fell out of the correct factory.

Coop
01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
My cigar noob friends thought they were smoking some real cohiba's... they couldn't tell the difference between their bands and my real band!!!

Doctorossi
01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
My cigar noob friends thought they were smoking some real cohiba's... they couldn't tell the difference between their bands and my real band!!!

The fake bands have gotten decidedly better in recent years (desktop publishing trickle-down, I imagine), but (to my knowledge) it's still very rare to seen clean embossing like these have on a fake band.

SpruceBruce
01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
So thanks to Darryl, I got my newsletter the other day. Very informative and educational! :r

DMK
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Just a quick update... I've smoked two now with another legit RyJ for comparison... :td They were flat tasting with little or no usual Cuban flavor profile.

dwoodward
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Just a quick update... I've smoked two now with another legit RyJ for comparison... :td They were flat tasting with little or no usual Cuban flavor profile.

Probably just cheap Dominicans. Sorry to hear of your gift bombing, but this happens all the time, you are not alone. lol