PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo Domincano (Nicaraguan)

T.G
12-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Another installment in "I'm out smoking a cigar, and post volume is down and I have nothing to read, so I guess I'll say something" live reviews...

This is the new Pueblo Dominicano made in Nicaragua, exclusive to CI.

First off, it needs to be established that, for those like me who remember and possibly even *gasp* liked the PD and PDII, this ain't the successor. It's just a rehash of the name by CI (hey, they own it, it's their right).

The first two were Dominican puros blended by Jose Blanco and made by La Aurora. This one is out of Nicaragua, it's been hinted by one of the CI muckety-mucks that this is by AJ Fernandez, but this is not positively confirmed, so take it as hearsay.

Since I know now what not to expect, on with this...

Opens with the typical "Nicaraguan blast yo face" pepper and spice.

Yippie.

More in a few if my face doesn't melt off.

T.G
12-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, thankfully, that didn't last long.

This cigar has very quickly settled into an earthy, coffee flavor with some hints of cinnamon and cedar. Retrohale through the nose is a bit peppery but not unbearable. Skipping the retrohale, it's pretty smooth.

T.G
12-22-2011, 01:10 AM
The further down I smoke this cigar, the more two things are happening:
1) The slight creaminess the cigar had is fading and the pepper and spice are picking up - mainly on the back of the throat and down the gullet. This isn't a good thing.
2) the more boring it's getting to me.

T.G
12-22-2011, 01:47 AM
My taste buds just surrendered after being treated like the floor of a mosh pit for the last 30 minutes.

First half or so wasn't bad. The end though, just got progressively more abusive. This cigar started off decent, but the flavors diminished and it became more and more one dimensional as it went, to the point of being nothing but harsh tobacco.

This cigar showed promise, but then, plonk, flat on it's face.

I might try it again someday when I'm feeling masochistic, but right now, nope. Sorry Sven.

BlkDrew
12-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the review.

dave
12-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Appreciate the review, TG. Thank you.

ApexAZ
12-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Nice review. Thanks!

billybarue
12-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I still have some PD I's - a very good, under the radar, La Aurora offering. Wish they kept that blend around. Don't like "rehashing the name" bit, but they are trying to sell cigars after all - thanks for the review.

MarkinAZ
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
So Adam, has you palate healed after this beating?;)

I didn't quite catch the size of the cigar you were smoking for this review. BTW, nice review:tu

T.G
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
So Adam, has you palate healed after this beating?;)

I didn't quite catch the size of the cigar you were smoking for this review. BTW, nice review:tu

Thanks Mark.

It healed, and was about as bad as the beating it took a few weeks later when Slimboli conned both Pablo and I into firing up Gurkas as a lark.

I am so gonna :gary him next time I see him.

As for the size, I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the toro. It looks like there are only three vitolas in the line; robusto (50 x 5.0"), toro (50 x 6.5") and torpedo (54 x 6.2") and it certainly wasn't the torpedo, so even it wasn't the toro, it's still the same RG.

Remo
01-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Was wondering about these, thanks for the review :tu

MarkinAZ
01-22-2012, 06:48 PM

:D...Ouch!

Thanks for the info Adam...

kuzi16
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I smoked the original one years ago, but only once. I never got the second one that was also put out by La Aurora.

i just tried the new AJ Fernandez one. i liked it but it was nothing like the original.

i would love to get my hands on either of the original two again so i have a closer comparison.

Adriftpanda
01-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Haha that made me laugh, thanks for sharing your experience.

lou2row
01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks Mark.

It healed, and was about as bad as the beating it took a few weeks later when Slimboli conned both Pablo and I into firing up Gurkas as a lark.

As for the size, I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the toro. It looks like there are only three vitolas in the line; robusto (50 x 5.0"), toro (50 x 6.5") and torpedo (54 x 6.2") and it certainly wasn't the torpedo, so even it wasn't the toro, it's still the same RG.

You herfed with Slim and Pablo? nice!
Are they posting over here now? I guess I have to check other pages than just the review one on here.

Oh, nice review. :banger