PDA

View Full Version : Before I get overwhelmed...

RevSmoke
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Before I get overwhelmed with the preparations for the multitude of services this next two weeks, I thought I'd write this note.

I am a Lutheran-Christian pastor, so this is not intended to slight anybody. If you would be offended by something with blatantly religious content, read no further. However, I would like to think that you will be glad if you do.

I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things. I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.

So, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas, but before I do, I think it best to explain what that Christmas blessing/wish means to me?

At Christmas, I pause to consider the first present given on Christmas, God's gift of His Son to take on human flesh and die for my sins so that I might have forgiveness and eternal life in His kingdom. And, as I ponder the love it would take to for a loving Father to make such a sacrifice of His only Son, I am humbled. It is a Christmas gift of God's love for me, even though I have not deserved or earned it.

As I have been loved, so I am moved by that love... From that love, so I desire to love others. There are too many times and days where I have failed at this miserably. I have been rude and short-tempered at times. I may have said things or done things that hurt others. If you have been on the receiving end of my sinfulness, please forgive me.

I would like to love you all with that same self-sacrificial love given me as a Christmas gift, and pray that you will know that peace that keeps my heart and mind.

So, that is what I mean when I say...

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!

Remo
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Merry Christmas Todd andall at CA :tu

G G
12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Merry Christmas to all. I do agree that it doesn't in any way offend me when someone tells me Happy Hannukah or similar, because as you have pointed out Rev it is their absolute best that they have to offer as it is my very best I have offer when I say Merry Christmas.

Doctorossi
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things.

Do you only imagine unpleasantness comes with winter? Sometimes I look out the window at a drifting snowfall and find it very pretty. Occasionally, carolers will come to my door and it brings a smile to my face. I'm sorry to hear that "season's greetings" means nothing to you but slush and black ice.

I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."

When I say 'happy holidays' to a stranger, I mean "I don't know which holidays you celebrate, but I'm glad to see you and I wish you the best, regardless".

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous).

Is it required that one share 100% of another's beliefs and hopes in order to wish them success in their desires? I'm not big into fishing, but I'm happy and sincere to wish you a fine catch in yours.

MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.

There you go- it's not that difficult!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

And a very merry Christmas to you, as well!

larryinlc
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Merry Christmas from another Lutheran. Luther High Class of 1974.:)

Larry

Ogre
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Merry Christmas Brother!!!!!

Eleven
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Merry Christmas!

icehog3
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Happy Holidays! :)

Dave128
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Merry Christmas!

elderboy02
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Merry Christmas!

Jasonw560
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Merry Christmas from yet another Lutheran!!

SvilleKid
12-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Great post, Rev! And, it can only offend those that chose to be offended.

Merry Christmas.

jledou
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Merry Christmas Rev and good luck with all of the services!

Mr B
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Todd!! Well said.

Merry Christmas.

irratebass
12-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Merry Christmas to you and yours Todd.

SteelCityBoy
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Merry Christmas back at ya Todd! This is the perfect time of the year for all to stop, reflect, and be thankful. Too many people don't and get lost in the true meaning of Christmas. Thanks for taking the time to write this...

Mattso3000
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Merry Christmas Todd!

AlohaStyle
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.

First of all, Merry Christmas to you too. :tu

I know above is just your opinion so there is no right or wrong, but do you really think it's disingenuous if your friends of other faith wish you a Merry Christmas? Wow that's kind of sad. Even if I don't have the same beliefs of someone, I regularly wish my friends something and mean it. I know quite a few people that believe in something other than I do, but if I am talking to them, I will gladly wish them accordingly and mean it. I wouldn't wish them Merry Christmas if they don't believe it, I will wish them what they believe. That is not a reflection of my beliefs, but a reflection of my friendship towards them.

Volusianator
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Todd, merry Christmas to you as well my friend.

Emjaysmash
12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Happy Hanukkah! :)

RevSmoke
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Happy Hanukkah! :)

Thanks, MJ!

massphatness
12-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Merry Christmas, Todd - thanks for sharing yourself with the community here.

sevans105
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Merry Christmas, one and all.

Oh, and just a bit of a smart a$$....Are there any Lutheran-NONChristian pastors out there? Just curious. :)

longknocker
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Merry Christmas, Todd, & All My Cigar Family!:D :tu

RevSmoke
12-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Merry Christmas, one and all.

Oh, and just a bit of a smart a$$....Are there any Lutheran-NONChristian pastors out there? Just curious. :)

I would say, "yes." :2 But if you want that discussion, PM me.

kelmac07
12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Merry Christmas to you and yours Todd!! :D

Savor the Stick
12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Merry Christmas Todd, Thanks for the reminder of what Christmas is.

One Special gift has been overshadowed by many meaningless ones.

Merry Christmas To All My Cigar Family!

Jasonw560
12-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Are there any Lutheran-NONChristian pastors out there? Just curious. :)

I would say which Lutheran pastors are the NONChristians (IMO), but I don't want to start something, either.

SmokeyJoe
12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Merry Christmas, Todd. You are a precious brother to me. :tu

Moose6026
12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Merry Christmas Todd and to all here. Though I have not met many in person I have "met" many great people here in the CA.

Flounder
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I say "Happy Holidays", not only does that not offend anyone, but for those people that get offended and say "Just say Merry Christmas, stop worrying about political correctness!" To them I just remind that New Years is a holiday too...

That being said, HAPPY EFFING HOLIDAYS!

Gophernut
12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Merry Christmas Todd! I appreciate what you do for the CA community.
I sincerely hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Doctorossi
12-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I say "Happy Holidays", not only does that not offend anyone, but for those people that get offended and say "Just say Merry Christmas, stop worrying about political correctness!" To them I just remind that New Years is a holiday too...

That being said, HAPPY EFFING HOLIDAYS!

:tu

I don't say "Happy holidays!" to be politically correct; I say it because I genuinely appreciate people, whatever they celebrate.

And I've never encountered anyone who was "offended" when I wished them a merry Christmas. I think it would be a pretty bizarre reaction, whatever their beliefs.

hotreds
12-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Christmas Blessings to you and yours, Todd! In fact, Jesus IS the reason for the Season!

Subvet642
12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I've been debating with myself (it's easy when you live in an asylum) about getting involved in this discussion. As, perhaps, the only Pagan (Druid, to be precise) in here I have to add my :2 and say that when someone wishes me well, however they do it, it would make me a pretty damned small person to nit-pick over their choice of greeting, and undeserving of it, as well.

Beannacht leat!

Ranger_B
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Merry Christmas to one and all.

Apoco
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I usually just say "Bah, Humbug!"

But for you all - I will make an exception. Happy Holidays, and Happy ChristmaHannuKwanzikkuh!
Posted via Mobile Device

Flounder
12-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I usually just say "Bah, Humbug!"

But for you all - I will make an exception. Happy Holidays, and Happy ChristmaHannuKwanzikkuh!
Posted via Mobile Device

HAHAHA. Pretty sure I haven't heard that since the 5th grade. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

icehog3
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
HAHAHA. Pretty sure I haven't heard that since the 5th grade. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Don't forget to tip your driver.

Doctorossi
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't forget to tip your driver.

Aw, man! I never tipped my 5th-grade bus driver.

That must be why I fail in life. -(P