PDA

View Full Version : Collectible Vs "share the share" (discuss)

muhren
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm curious as I see prices all over the place. You can feel free to answer any, none, or all...A couple thoughts for discussion's sake:

1. If a cigar is unavailable (not produced anymore) should there be a secondary market mark-up? If so, how much?
Follow-up: would you pay that mark-up?

2. If a cigar is hard to find, should there be a secondary market mark-up?

I'll post a poll too for quick answers...why not?!

M

Mugen910
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
why? what are you trying to sell?

icehog3
12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
1. If a cigar is unavailable (not produced anymore) should there be a secondary market mark-up? Yes. If so, how much? Fair market value.

Follow-up: would you pay that mark-up? Yes.

2. If a cigar is hard to find, should there be a secondary market mark-up?

See above.

And I am saying that from a buyer's perspective, as I rarely sell cigars.

Resipsa
12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
How much would a Picasso be worth if there were 15 million of them?

How much would a Van Gogh be worth if he were still alive producing them today?

MurphysLaw
12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm with Tom, I'm not opposed to paying markup for something I can't easily get my hands on, as long as the price is fair. Fair is a relative term as well, what I think may be an absurd markup may be what someone else is willing to pay.

Subvet642
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm with Tom, I'm not opposed to paying markup for something I can't easily get my hands on, as long as the price is fair. Fair is a relative term as well, what I think may be an absurd markup may be what someone else is willing to pay.

Ditto.

pektel
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
What they said.

As long as it's not price gouging, I don't see the problem.

D Man
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Supply and Demand

goomer
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Supply and Demand

Exactly. The market will work out the price as long as it is allowed to.

muhren
12-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Exactly. The market will work out the price as long as it is allowed to.

Follow-up on this...

IF the FDA gains control of cigars and advertising stops, walk-ins stop, blends must be approved, etc.

Does that make cigars created RIGHT NOW (or prior), ahead of any possible regulation, worth holding on to?

Just curious.

M

icehog3
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Follow-up on this...

IF the FDA gains control of cigars and advertising stops, walk-ins stop, blends must be approved, etc.

Does that make cigars created RIGHT NOW (or prior), ahead of any possible regulation, worth holding on to?

Hsdn't heard anything about blend approval, what have you heard?

Absent that, I don't see anything making them more desirable after that legislation/regulation than before.

muhren
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Hsdn't heard anything about blend approval, what have you heard?

Absent that, I don't see anything making them more desirable after that legislation/regulation than before.

http://www.cigarrights.org/newsletter/CRA_News_Alert_Template_120211.htm

Bullet point #7 (near bottom middle of the page)

M

icehog3
12-16-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.cigarrights.org/newsletter/CRA_News_Alert_Template_120211.htm

Bullet point #7 (near bottom middle of the page)

M

Gotcha...apparently just speculation on the part of CRA.

Taki
12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Follow-up on this...

Just curious.

M

Absolutely worth holding on too...I hope it would never get to that but you never know. As for the other question as long as its not an out of control price I would pay :tu

goomer
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
If the ban on flavored cigars goes through I would imagine certain cigars like Acids will be worth more. The biggest effect will be on the lack of affordable cigars due to the end of online ordering and the availability of cigars in many rural areas that don't have a good cigar shop.

muhren
12-16-2011, 04:54 PM
If the ban on flavored cigars goes through I would imagine certain cigars like Acids will be worth more. The biggest effect will be on the lack of affordable cigars due to the end of online ordering and the availability of cigars in many rural areas that don't have a good cigar shop.

Yeah...most mail order would be gone...if I'm reading correctly. But, they're making it sound like walk-ins would be gone too.

It would be like buying a pack of cigs at the gas station..."Gimme a robusto monte white and this pack of shulies gum."

M

DPD6030
12-16-2011, 06:32 PM
And I am saying that from a buyer's perspective, as I rarely sell cigars.

:tpd:

How much would a Picasso be worth if there were 15 million of them?

How much would a Van Gogh be worth if he were still alive producing them today?

I don't know Vic but I sure would want one still :D Maybe when I die my finger paintings will be worth more than the paper they are on :r

replicant_argent
12-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Certainly your background and Cum Laude degree in ... let's see.. what was it?

Advertising?

Would allow you to answer this for yourself.

muhren
12-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Gotcha...apparently just speculation on the part of CRA.

Yeah, it's hard to get a good grasp on what might really happen because I tend to only get information via CRA and it's "end of the world stuff".

I did their form letter to the congressman and senator is my area and I got a form letter back stating how horrible tobacco is on the health of the society. Most of the references were to Cigarette smokers though.

Either way....it'll be interesting.

M

goomer
12-17-2011, 06:57 AM
I saw a news story last night about how a few congressmen were pushing the FDA to ban flavored cigars. Evidently there's a study that shows more teens, and pre-teens, are smoking flavored cigars these days. Unfortunately, they aren't differentiating between flavored premium cigars and swisher sweets. My guess is those teens are getting their hands on the swisher sweets. I would also bet that many of them are not smoking the swisher sweet but only the wrapper with an alternative filler.

Once again congress is trying to regulate based on ignorance.

Stephen
12-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Ditto.
Me three.

hdryder
12-17-2011, 05:38 PM

If the ban on flavored cigars goes through I am betting it wont stop there:td

whodeeni
12-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I really hope people band together, and push their congressman
and senators to support our cause! This makes no sense!

shilala
12-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I pay a premium for "almost impossible to find cigars I like" all the time, and I'm happy to pay it. If a guy has had a box of smokes in his care for 10 years, it has definately cost him something quantifiable to store them correctly and keep them nice for me to smoke.
If he paid five bucks a stick ten years ago, I'm more than happy to pay 10 bucks a stick now, and I think that's a bargain. :tu

Frodo
12-25-2011, 11:07 AM
For me, HTF sticks like Opus X are different from say - Boris. Older out of production sticks should charge what the market will bear but I won't be buying them. I won't begrudge the seller either though.

Sticks with limited availability like Viajes are different. If they are a recent release I would frown on mark-ups close to their release. Of course the seller can do what he/she wants but this does smack of opportunism. Same with Opus Xs.

Something like Casa Fuente is somewhere in the middle for me. Perhaps a modest mark up I would tolerate (10% ish)...

sikk50
12-25-2011, 11:57 AM
For cigars no longer produced yes of course, and I'd gladly pay extra if I want it. HTF....idk. I pay more for them but I don't like to.