PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help picking a new phone

EricF
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
I happened to get a nice xmas bonus this year and since my renewal with Verizon is around the corner I am now in the market for a new phone.

I currently have an original Droid and have been looking at the Droid Razor and the new Galaxy Nexus. I am not really an iPhone person so that is out. I use a Galaxy S II for my work phone so I do like the Android software.

Has anyone here used these phones or know someone who has?

What say you about these phones?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Angry_Pirate
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Picked up a galaxy nexus today. Love it better than my droid x. The keyboard is much better. Still getting used to the interface.

Eleven
12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Picked up a galaxy nexus today. Love it better than my droid x. The keyboard is much better. Still getting used to the interface.

Me too.

jsnake
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I have a HTC Evo 3D which I love. No experience with it but the Droid Razor looks like an amazing phone. Personally I would pick that if I was with Verizon.

MurphysLaw
12-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I think this is more your speed, old man :r

http://www.mcssl.com/content/176690/productImage/Jitterbug%20Dial%20Cell%20Phone1.jpg

MedicCook
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I think this is more your speed, old man :r

http://www.mcssl.com/content/176690/productImage/Jitterbug%20Dial%20Cell%20Phone1.jpg

:r

MiamiE
12-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Galaxy S, or iPhone!

Blak Smyth
12-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Eric I know you said you don't want an iphone but I will give you my opinion, you just don't have to listen to it!

I have an HTC Desire 4G:
Pros.
-Voice to text/e-mail
-Nice size screen
-8mp camera
Cons.
-Touch screen isnt very accurate and sucks to write text or e-mail.
-Not happy with the Android operating system, not close to as smooth or efficient as iphone

I also have an Iphone 4:
Pros.
-Highly accurate touch screen, works great for texting and writing e-mails.
-Operating system is the best I have found, works great and efficient
-The phone feels solid and heavy
Cons.
-Small screen
-Only 5mp camera

Remo
12-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Go with the original, gramps.

mase
12-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I have a Samsung Charge (Android) that I purchased in April or May. I've been very disappointed with the battery life and the quality of the camera. The battery life is so bad that you really can't have your email client actively seeking emails all day or your phone will be dead by 1 pm.

EricF
12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Go with the original, gramps.

I still have one of those laying around!!! :lr

AD720
12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
I got a galaxy nexus yesterday as well. It's excellent. Really brings the polish that a lot of folks felt Android was lacking. Very responsive, fast and fluid. Great screen, form factor is nice, very slim and light. ICS is a little bit of a learning curve coming from GB but it's quick to grasp.

And having a Google Experience device is always a good move - first devices to get upgrades, no (well on Verizon ALMOST) no carrier bloat ware.

AD720
12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Forgot to add...a co-worked just got the RAZR and it is very nice as well. Really sexy. I think the screen on the Nexus is a little better and the RAZR is still running gingerbread (although it has been promised to get an upgrade to ICS but who knows how long that's going to take).

Go check them both out in the store.

EricF
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys!!! I am going out during lunch to the Verizon store to check them out.

Taki
12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Wait till June...iphone 5 will be out with a whole new platform!!
Check this site out... http://www.infosyncworld.com/smartphones/
:tu Good Luck brother...whole lot to chose from

AD720
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a Samsung Charge (Android) that I purchased in April or May. I've been very disappointed with the battery life and the quality of the camera. The battery life is so bad that you really can't have your email client actively seeking emails all day or your phone will be dead by 1 pm.

Are you in a sketchy 4g area? Try turning off your 4g.

irratebass
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Eric I know you said you don't want an iphone but I will give you my opinion, you just don't have to listen to it!

I have an HTC Desire 4G:
Pros.
-Voice to text/e-mail
-Nice size screen
-8mp camera
Cons.
-Touch screen isnt very accurate and sucks to write text or e-mail.
-Not happy with the Android operating system, not close to as smooth or efficient as iphone

I also have an Iphone 4:
Pros.
-Highly accurate touch screen, works great for texting and writing e-mails.
-Operating system is the best I have found, works great and efficient
-The phone feels solid and heavy
Cons.
-Small screen
-Only 5mp camera

Only a 5mp camera on the Iphone? Well frankly I think they take better pics than my sh!tty Droid X which is 8mp.

Same here, the android battery sux sux sux.

Ismith75
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
My brother just picked up the Razr, seems to love it. Super fast, battery has been great so far. One thing I've always liked about the droid is its ability to view normal websites and not just the mobile version.

AD720
12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Only a 5mp camera on the Iphone? Well frankly I think they take better pics than my sh!tty Droid X which is 8mp.

Same here, the android battery sux sux sux.

That's because megapixels are not everything. The quality of the sensor is FAR more important. More megapixels and a crappy sensor just means more crappy dots. Marketing at it's best ("more" always = "better").

irratebass
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
That's because megapixels are not everything. The quality of the sensor is FAR more important. More megapixels and a crappy sensor just means more crappy dots. Marketing at it's best ("more" always = "better").

Interesting, well I have already decided that I am getting an Iphone......now to wait until May.

EricF
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I wound up with the Samsung Nexus!!!! I am all excited to sit outside after dinner with a cigar an a drink and play!!!!! :noon

Thanks guys!!! :tu

Taki
12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Good choice brother...congrats on a great buy!! :tu

Blak Smyth
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Cool brother, let us know your thoughts after you get used to it!
Look forward to the review!

Angry_Pirate
12-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Great choice! My wife has an iphone 4 and when she used my nexus she decided to upgrade to the nexus :r

EricF
12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
So far it's pretty cool! Lots of neat functions built right in!

Redownloading my music and apps and putting the final set-up touches on it right now.

Nimbus
12-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I recommend the iPhone (3 or 4) because they are beautifully designed and easy to use. Plus I'm bias towards Apple products.

Taki
12-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I recommend the iPhone (3 or 4) because they are beautifully designed and easy to use. Plus I'm bias towards Apple products.

Me too...always was a Apple Fan:noon

Jason
12-17-2011, 10:47 PM
And having a Google Experience device is always a good move - first devices to get upgrades, no (well on Verizon ALMOST) no carrier bloat ware.

After using nothing but Google experience phones since the first Nexus I get incredibly frustrated when mucking with any other carrier device. Go for the Nexus

edit: well done :D

rizzle
12-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I got a galaxy nexus yesterday as well. It's excellent. Really brings the polish that a lot of folks felt Android was lacking. Very responsive, fast and fluid. Great screen, form factor is nice, very slim and light. ICS is a little bit of a learning curve coming from GB but it's quick to grasp.

Damn, bro...you get a new phone about once a month. :D

AD720
12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Damn, bro...you get a new phone about once a month. :D

Haha. It a hobby.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in dipping their toe into the 4g world I am selling my Thunderbolt...:D