PDA

View Full Version : Hookah anyone?

Sam Leccia
12-15-2011, 10:29 AM
What's up guys? I just was curious if any of you enjoy smoking a hookah. I for one will pretty much smoke anything that burns, but I enjoy the smooth cool flavor of Shisha (hookah tobacco).

I smoke my hookah from time to time, but the funny thing is it just makes me want a cigar all the more.

My only drawback to to shisha is the process of packing the bowl, it's messy and can just be a pain for an impatient dude like me.

I was just curious to hear from cigar smokers on your take.

Blak Smyth
12-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I never used hookahs for tobacco when I was young and dumb, and I still stay clear of hookahs becasue of what I associate them with. To me they will never represent tobacco. I just love my cigars and am going to get into pipes soon.

Taki
12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Never tried one...:r

Sam Leccia
12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I never used hookahs for tobacco when I was young and dumb, and I still stay clear of hookahs becasue of what I associate them with. To me they will never represent tobacco. I just love my cigars and am going to get into pipes soon.

I smoke a pipe from time to time as well. One thing I never did but will probably try is breaking down a cigar and mixing it with some shisha. That's one thing that lacks to me with the experience is that kick from some stronger tobaccos.

Emjaysmash
12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
I've smoked a few hookahs. I never got into the ritual of packing up the bowl, filling the water chamber, getting the coals going, etc. I always found it much milder than other forms of tobacco I've smoked.

I heard that in a recent study, hookah is one the rise. I wonder if it is more than just the college kids smoking it these days.

Bill86
12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I use to smoke hookah maybe 3-4 years ago. More socially then anything.

Got drunk and knocked the damn thing on the floor, burn the crap out of some carpet and broke the hookah. Never bought another one :sh

DaBear
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
One of my friends has one that I go over to smoke every once in awhile. Its kind of a group thing to do, you can't really smoke those on your own. They're fun, but I don't really get much flavor from them. I'll take cigars and pipes any day. That said seeing my friends who don't smoke anything else start to feel the nicotine from the shisha after 4 or 5 hits is amusing.

BigCat
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I have one that my friend gave me. I like it from time to time, but I can't fight the urge to inhale with it and my chest always feels heavy the next day. The last time I had to get a spoon full of sugar was this summer when I was smoking a cigar and a hookah at the same time.

Flounder
12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
My friends and I go to the Hookah Lounge here in town. Someone packs the bowl for you, $11 all you can smoke, and 3-4 of us will smoke 3-4 bowls in a night. Again, for me its primarily social, and I always want a cigar. But I have a hard time burning a $3-10 stick after I paid $11 for all I can smoke.

elderboy02
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Sam! When are your new cigars coming out? I remember earlier this year reading that your cigars were being released, but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Blak Smyth
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I smoke a pipe from time to time as well. One thing I never did but will probably try is breaking down a cigar and mixing it with some shisha. That's one thing that lacks to me with the experience is that kick from some stronger tobaccos.

Interesting idea, I don't think I could break up a good cigar though. A good cigar is soo wonderful in it's current form.

Flounder
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

When I was a kid and first breaking into cigars (phillies, swisher sweets, black 'n mild, etc) I had a backwoods that fell all apart so we crunched it into a pipe and smoked it. Granted it was a homemade pipe made to smoke other essential herbs, and we ended up swallowing more than smoking.

Sam Leccia
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey Sam! When are your new cigars coming out? I remember earlier this year reading that your cigars were being released, but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Thats a question for a whole other thread...

BlkDrew
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Interesting idea, I don't think I could break up a good cigar though. A good cigar is soo wonderful in it's current form.

I have the raw tobacco, no need to break up a perfectly good cigar... :D

BlkDrew
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM

would make for a very long thread...........

elderboy02
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Oh, sorry for the hijack. I bumped the old thread :tu

andromalius
12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I've smoked hookah a few times at a friends house or at a hookah lounge. I enjoy them quite a bit, but I don't own one myself.

chaase321
12-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Never tried it, but I have heard of guys smoking cigars down to the band and then clipping the ash and dark parts of the cigar out...storing it in a ziplock...and then when they have enough, grinding it down for pipes. Seems like you would have a lot of different flavors to deal with (if you got all of the burnt out of course)...or maybe I was naive when I heard that!! Anyway try it ever?

ApexAZ
12-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Never tried it, but I have heard of guys smoking cigars down to the band and then clipping the ash and dark parts of the cigar out...storing it in a ziplock...and then when they have enough, grinding it down for pipes. Seems like you would have a lot of different flavors to deal with (if you got all of the burnt out of course)...or maybe I was naive when I heard that!! Anyway try it ever?

I guess it depends on the cigar, but it seems like it would be awefully strong.

Commander Quan
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Sam if you don't already have one you need to get either a vortex or phunnel bowl. They are many times better than the standard Egyptian bowls that most hookahs come with. I keep all my shisha in mason jars, and when am ready to smoke, I use a butter knife to stir it around and then use the knife to load the bowl. It really helps keep the mess down, because once you get the juice from the shisha on your fingers it gets everywhere.

If you want something that is a little stronger than the standard stuff, unwashed shisha like Tangiers or Nakhla should suit you. Nakhla Earl Grey is nice, it's not sweet like most of the molasses based stuff.

Cigars, Pipes, Hookah, their all different experiences, so you can't expect that smoking a hookah to be the same as, or a replacement for a cigar, you just have to enjoy it for what it is.

Dunkel
12-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I smoke hookah all the time. I'm a Mod at the biggest and best hookah forum on the web. Nakhla is the best brand IMO. I have a Khalil Mammon Egyptian and Elmas Turkish hookah.

BlkDrew
12-15-2011, 01:23 PM
I keep all my shisha in mason jars, and when am ready to smoke, I use a butter knife to stir it around and then use the knife to load the bowl. It really helps keep the mess down, because once you get the juice from the shisha on your fingers it gets everywhere.

room temperature? i have been keeping my Starrbuzz in the fridge.

Commander Quan
12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah room temp

Commander Quan
12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey Dunkel, weren't you the one who gave Sambooka the Earl Gray he had in his review?

VirtualSmitty
12-15-2011, 02:18 PM

There are some tobaccos blended with cigar leaf. I'd recommend a stronger english style tobacco if your looking for some oomph from your pipes. Never tried a hookah before.

Liquid Smoke
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I actually started smoking with hookah, and joined a hookah forum about 3 years ago. I've been on a cigar kick lately, but I like to revisit the hookah when I feel nostalgic.

Dunkel
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Dunkel, weren't you the one who gave Sambooka the Earl Gray he had in his review?

Yep that was me. I turned on several folks on to the greatness that is Nakhla E.G.

Liquid Smoke
12-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Yep that was me. I turned on several folks on to the greatness that is Nakhla E.G.

And off of tangiers if I remember your elephant picture correctly :r

Dunkel
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah needless to say I'm not an AF or Tangiers fan. LOL

Apoco
12-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Sam if you don't already have one you need to get either a vortex or phunnel bowl. They are many times better than the standard Egyptian bowls that most hookahs come with. I keep all my shisha in mason jars, and when am ready to smoke, I use a butter knife to stir it around and then use the knife to load the bowl. It really helps keep the mess down, because once you get the juice from the shisha on your fingers it gets everywhere.

Quoted for truth!

I've been really enjoying some Cinnamon Tangiers, lately. I prefer the lemon on any given evening, though.

I usually smoke hookah by myself. I turn on a TV show/movie and puff away. A nice way to relax. The real benefit comes from how light the smoke is. I can smoke it in the house without anyone even noticing...the smell doesn't seem to linger.
Posted via Mobile Device

gbum
12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
use to smoke hookah way back in 2004,my friend and me so into hookah until we bout our own set and bring it wherever we ride... smoked it all nite long with lots of flavor... i think my favorite at that time is strawberry... we also used to change the water into coke... man the gas... i stop around 2007 and never smoke ..hell i even cannot stand the smell nowadays...