PDA

View Full Version : Viva la Snorking! Also...how to nose smoke.

Bobb
11-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I posted this on another site and I got some very positive feedback from it, so I thought I'd post it again here, in the Asylum, for some of the new inmates. Enjoy!!
__________________________________________________ ______

Snorking, a.k.a. nose smoking, is something I am starting to LOVE!!! At herf's I tend to do it once and a while to help me appreciate fantastic cigars that people are willing to share...now I do it with every cigar I place against my lips. The amount of flavor you get through your nose is AMAZING!! You can really taste the subtle nuances of a cigar when snorking. Think about hoe food looses a ton of flavor when you are sick. That is because a lot of our taste is dependent on our sense of smell.

It came across me yesterday that not everybody practices snorking...and some people do not know how...so I am going to attempt to explain how I do it, and hopefully I can help some people out.

To begin, you may want to start with a milder cigar that still has a lot of flavor. I am smoking a Rocky Patel 1999 Connecticut right now and it is very smooth and slightly complex...IMO, a perfect candidate for snorking.

* The first thing to do is take a decent sized breath and hold it in your lungs...not a huge breath, but enough so you are not uncomfortable holding it for 10 seconds or so.
* Next, take a mouthful of smoke and hold it in your mouth for a second or two
* Now blow out about 70%-80% of the smoke, holding the rest in your mouth.
* Now, close your mouth, relax your throat, and WITHOUT inhaling, blow the air from your lungs out your nose. Thanks to our wonderful friend physics (The Bernoulli’s Principle) the current of air will suck the smoke out of your mouth and send it though your nose.
* Finally, expel any extra air that might be in your lungs out of your mouth so when you inhale, your mouth will be empty of smoke. Remember, there are no taste receptors in your lungs, so smoke does not need to enter them.

This might sting/burn a little the first time...if it does, try blowing more smoke out your mouth before sending it out your nose. Eventually, you should be able to tolerate more and more smoke out your nose without the burn.

I hope this helps some people who have heard of snorking and are having difficulties with it; and opens a whole new world of flavors to the people hearing about it for the first time.

Enjoy!
~Bobb

schnell987
11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Great post...thank you Bobb! I havn't been too successful with this in the past as apparently I was doing it incorrectly. Will have to try this tonight.

Savor the Stick
11-30-2008, 09:34 AM
I have to agree that snorking gives great flavors and nuances that are lost when just mouth smoking. A good cigar can become great with the right technique.
An easier way for the smoke to be forced out the nasal passages is lowering your chin to your chest, thereby allowing only one passage out for the smoke.
Care must be used to have enough air left in the lungs after snorking to fully expel all smoke from the mouth; or else a coughing fit will be the result. :pu

Great Topic and post
Thanks, Bob :tu:tu:tu

elderboy02
11-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to have to try this again and see if I can get this to work.

Mr Edmundo
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Based on reaction to this from other similar posts, many have differring experiences with doing this. When I exhale out through my nose, the "flavors" I experience are basically the same, regardless of the cigar I smoke. The best way I can describe it is "spice". But they all tend to taste the same to me.
However, I discovered that if I French inhale from my mouth into my nasal passages, I can "taste" the smoke much better. It's more subtle without the olfactory sensory assault that I get from traditional snorking.
My problem in doing this is that I often will inhale into my lungs. But practice is helping me perfect the technique without actually inhaling.
To some extent, this makes sense, since smelling is generally done by inhaling.

ScottishSmoker
11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Because of Bobb's insistence on snorking and how much it will "revolutionize" the way I smoke, I decided to give it a try...NOW...all I do is snork...I find it often useless to blow smoke through the normal channels...Thanks Bobb for making my enjoyment in the hobby that much greater!

WildBlueSooner
03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
I need to work on my snorking!

younggun
03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm kinda confused as to how on step 1 where you are 'holding it in your lungs' that you arent inhaling:confused:

s15driftking
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
i have heard the same thing... that it makes the flavor 10x better. wierd. i'll try it soon!

Savvy
03-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm kinda confused as to how on step 1 where you are 'holding it in your lungs' that you arent inhaling:confused:

Hold the breath in, not the smoke.

troutbreath
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
This really does enhance my smoking experience. I find that now I probably exhale through my nose 40-50% of the time.

Da Klugs
03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Just be careful with NC cigars most are very nasally harsh.

Just nasally exhaled about 40 cigars in the past 3 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

stearns
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Just nasally exhaled about 40 cigars in the past 3 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

are you admitting that you smoke NC's?

stearns

Jbailey
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Completely agree. I've heard others who can do it, but for me I've only found a few NC's that didn't make my nose feel like a forest fire.

Just don't start out trying this an LFD, blue or black label Pepin or any other really strong smoke. Try something on the light end of the spectrum at first. :tu

Legend
03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Let the smoke out through the nose is the ONLY way to get the entire flavor profile of a cigar. Depending on the cigar I do it a few to almost everytime.

I do hate the term snorking. Sounds like a druggie term.

Savor the Stick
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM

You should not be using your lungs to draw smoke into your mouth...but your mouth and jaw muscles.
So take a breath(hold in lungs)...draw on the cigar... smoke is in your mouth....procede to the snorking part. :)

DocLogic77
03-30-2009, 01:14 AM
When I first tried doing this I made it too complicated. I now merely push my tongue up against the roof of my mouth...and tighten the lower jaw neck area just a bit and exhale through the nose. Thanks to a couple terrific BOTL here I now nose smoke everything. :)

Cigary
03-30-2009, 01:22 AM
I have to agree that snorking gives great flavors and nuances that are lost when just mouth smoking. A good cigar can become great with the right technique.
An easier way for the smoke to be forced out the nasal passages is lowering your chin to your chest, thereby allowing only one passage out for the smoke.
Care must be used to have enough air left in the lungs after snorking to fully expel all smoke from the mouth; or else a coughing fit will be the result. :pu

Great Topic and post
Thanks, Bob :tu:tu:tu

Nice assist on this as I do exactly what you mentioned and for me anyway, makes it a much easier process to "snork" a cigar.

Da Klugs
06-28-2016, 04:42 PM
This actually works. Topping as a public service announcement for the Cuban cigar vendors. :)

I posted this on another site and I got some very positive feedback from it, so I thought I'd post it again here, in the Asylum, for some of the new inmates. Enjoy!!
__________________________________________________ ______

Snorking, a.k.a. nose smoking, is something I am starting to LOVE!!! At herf's I tend to do it once and a while to help me appreciate fantastic cigars that people are willing to share...now I do it with every cigar I place against my lips. The amount of flavor you get through your nose is AMAZING!! You can really taste the subtle nuances of a cigar when snorking. Think about hoe food looses a ton of flavor when you are sick. That is because a lot of our taste is dependent on our sense of smell.

It came across me yesterday that not everybody practices snorking...and some people do not know how...so I am going to attempt to explain how I do it, and hopefully I can help some people out.

To begin, you may want to start with a milder cigar that still has a lot of flavor. I am smoking a Rocky Patel 1999 Connecticut right now and it is very smooth and slightly complex...IMO, a perfect candidate for snorking.

* The first thing to do is take a decent sized breath and hold it in your lungs...not a huge breath, but enough so you are not uncomfortable holding it for 10 seconds or so.
* Next, take a mouthful of smoke and hold it in your mouth for a second or two
* Now blow out about 70%-80% of the smoke, holding the rest in your mouth.
* Now, close your mouth, relax your throat, and WITHOUT inhaling, blow the air from your lungs out your nose. Thanks to our wonderful friend physics (The Bernoulli’s Principle) the current of air will suck the smoke out of your mouth and send it though your nose.
* Finally, expel any extra air that might be in your lungs out of your mouth so when you inhale, your mouth will be empty of smoke. Remember, there are no taste receptors in your lungs, so smoke does not need to enter them.

This might sting/burn a little the first time...if it does, try blowing more smoke out your mouth before sending it out your nose. Eventually, you should be able to tolerate more and more smoke out your nose without the burn.

I hope this helps some people who have heard of snorking and are having difficulties with it; and opens a whole new world of flavors to the people hearing about it for the first time.

Enjoy!
~Bobb

Alternative simple method - puff out your cheeks with air - pressurize them. You should be able to breath in and out of your nose while maintaining the air pressure on your chipmunk cheeks. Then figure out how to get the air in your mouth out of your nose by releasing the pressure without any letting out your mouth. Not advocating a smoking method, just how to figure out the mechanics of getting the airflow.

If you haven't learned, the sky opens and angels sing once you do.

pnoon
06-29-2016, 03:52 PM
When I smoke, I snork/exhale through my nose on virtually every puff. Flavors are more pronounced.

dijit
06-30-2016, 04:46 AM
For me it depends on the cigar. Some lend themselves to every puff and I have found many of the stronger NC's just kill me if I do this every puff. I do agree like many here though the flavors are more pronounced and many of lighter flavors just cant be tasted/experienced with getting the nose involved.

Porch Dweller
06-30-2016, 07:06 AM
When I smoke, I snork/exhale through my nose on virtually every puff. Flavors are more pronounced.

:tpd: The first time I did this a few years ago it was like a whole new dimension of flavors opened up. Not snorking is like holding your nose while eating; you'll taste a bit but miss a lot, too.