PDA

View Full Version : Online database software

chaase321
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
To start, sorry if this is not in the right thread.

I was wondering if people use an online database to track their cigars? I know there are apps out there for cells, but I think it would be easier to track things online/or download software. I used to track my cigars on an excel spreadsheet, but it was not very sophisticated and became quite a bore. I found one place (cigar aficionado) that allows you to track, but I was looking for more of a downloadable thing. I'm looking for things that allow you to rate/comment on, collect price, amount, the cigar's details, etc. (like an online humidor)

So, question is:
1.) what do you all use?
2.) if software is available, can you share?

I am sure there are some pretty techie people out there that have a pretty advanced spreadsheet...care to share?

Thanks in advance everyone!

elderboy02
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I just use a Google Documents spreadsheet. I can update it in real time using my smartphone or from my iPad if I want to.

chaase321
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
That's a good idea...and if nothing comes up I will probably go that route. I was just hoping for something that was more user friendly and already had things built in (you know for the looks)

mosesbotbol
12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Stick with Excel.

elderboy02
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
That's a good idea...and if nothing comes up I will probably go that route. I was just hoping for something that was more user friendly and already had things built in (you know for the looks)

I used to use something back in the day (I don't remember what it was called), but it sucked because it seems like every week a new cigar comes out, and the software wouldn't have the cigar in its database.

chaase321
12-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Ahh I see.

aaron72
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I just use a home built Excel Spreadsheet

chaase321
12-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Beginning to think this may be the way to go again...

CigarNut
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
If you have a smartphone there are a some apps that will do this -- you can search the iPhone app store for "cigar" and find some apps. I downloaded MobileStogie before it changed owners. Both the original and new owners are BOTLs here on CA. It's pretty good and I think it is under $5. There are some other apps that are less expensive.

You can also search CA for more info -- there are a couple of Android apps as well.

Excel is fine if that is what you want. The nice thing about the phone apps is that most have cigar info "at your finger tips" so you can look up sizes and in some case see images.

The hardest part with all of this is keeping the data current -- which is a problem regardless of how you do it. If you are not one to keep it current in the long run then don't waste your time...

Just my :2

ApexAZ
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I use Evernote. It is a cloud based app that I can access my notes from any device. Works pretty awesome. I have had some issues with getting camera roll photos to display properly though. The web storage and synchronization is by far the best thing about it though.

Apexkingjusto
04-22-2012, 04:36 AM
You can build out a nice pivot table for each brand, cigar type, release, yr....

kelmac07
04-22-2012, 07:00 AM
I've been using Microsoft Access for years. :tu

CigarSquid
04-22-2012, 08:51 AM
I used rate my cigar.. Lost all data on my phone and didn't feel like putting it all back. Great app though.

John Ellefsen
04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Have you had a look at cigarbriefcase?
It's free and can be downloaded here :
http://www.vaagan.com/cigarbriefcase/

Jacapo
04-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Not to post about another community, but Cigargeeks.com has a 'My Humidor' feature that allows you to record everything in your stock, date purchased, amount paid, quantity and notes. Then when you take one out, they have a button that says 'smoke one', that I think opens a notes/comment page.

trendo
04-23-2012, 12:39 AM
one more vote for mobile stogie. Cigar boss is free, and also awesome

TJarv
04-23-2012, 01:47 AM
I use stogierate.com and like it pretty well. It allows you to comment and make notes on each cigar

JJKJR
04-24-2012, 06:30 AM
I took the advice of several members here and downloaded Cigar Boss 3.0 yesterday. So far I've been able to inventory my humidor which I've never done before. That's nice to know what I really have left to smoke. There were a couple of locally made cigars that I added under Brands. One I've added incorrectly and one incompletely. I want to go back and delete the incorrect one and add info to the incomplete one from the Brands Tab. I can't seem to find out how to do it. Do those options even exist? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

JJKJR
04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
I contacted Cigar Boss today concerning their apps ability to delete and add information on cigars and was told that their newer version (4.0) would have those functions. I was really impressed by the quick and honest customer service the company provided.

abanytime
04-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I use Evernote. It is a cloud based app that I can access my notes from any device. Works pretty awesome. I have had some issues with getting camera roll photos to display properly though. The web storage and synchronization is by far the best thing about it though.

How do you use it? Notes about each cigar with a photo? I find Evernote useful for other purposes, so I'm curious how you go about it.

Thanks in advance.

abanytime
04-26-2012, 05:21 AM
I contacted Cigar Boss today concerning their apps ability to delete and add information on cigars and was told that their newer version (4.0) would have those functions. I was really impressed by the quick and honest customer service the company provided.

Any ETA on the new version, by any chance? I'm on Android and it's new for that platform. I haven't tried it yet but it looks interesting. I'm also considering Evernote (from another post) since I already use it.

Thanks.

JJKJR
04-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Abanytime, No ETA on version 4.0. He just said they were aware of the problems I was having and will be working out the kinks in the newer version.

abanytime
04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Abanytime, No ETA on version 4.0. He just said they were aware of the problems I was having and will be working out the kinks in the newer version.

Thanks JJKKR. I think I'm going to grab it a play with it a bit. Nice to hear the developer is responsive to feedback.

Apexkingjusto
04-27-2012, 08:52 PM
+1 for gape spreadsheet from ipad or any other device...maybe somone canmake a pivot table with all cigars amd i will move back to excel

abanytime
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks JJKKR. I think I'm going to grab it a play with it a bit. Nice to hear the developer is responsive to feedback.

I installed this on my Android and added a few sticks to it. It's buggy. The first time I downloaded it, it wouldn't install. After an uninstall and a fresh download it worked properly. It's a little laggy on my HTC Thunderbolt. I getting FCs trying to use certain functions. One glaring oversight is an exit button. It would also be handy to be able to add cigars not already in the database (although I haven't yet encountered any) or add them directly from the My Humidor page.

It's slick and has a lot of potential. Hopefully the developer will continue to work on it.

I have no idea how this works on iOS, since I don't have an Apple device to try it on.

Apexkingjusto
05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I was playing around With cigar boss yesterday and do really like it...is it cloud based and can i get to it from a browser?

abanytime
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I was playing around With cigar boss yesterday and do really like it...is it cloud based and can i get to it from a browser?

I think it's cloud only. I would also like the browser option. I would also like the option to backup My Humidor, in the event something happens and I need to restore my phone.

I do like it, despite it's current limitations.