PDA

View Full Version : Pujols, I don't get it...

Starscream
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I still don't get it and say he's a d0uchebag. He's said how great STL is for so long and here are some quotes to prove it. Also some quotes where he talks about how humble he is:

"This is a great city to play. Anywhere you go, you're going to have great fans, but not like you have here in St. Louis. I've only played in St. Louis, I haven't played anywhere else, but even when the other teams come here they tell us, 'Man I can't believe how nice the fans are here.'"

“We’ve got the best fans in St. Louis. A lot of people want to come and play in St. Louis because of the way the fans treat us.”

“What motivates me more than money are God and my family.”

“As long as you don’t get caught up thinking you are better than the game, or you think that you’re better than everybody else, as long as you don’t get caught up in that, you’ll be fine, if you stay humble, you’re going to survive to play this game — if you stay healthy — for 15-20 years. That’s what I want to do. Stay humble before God. Stay humble before my teammates. And just have fun out there and play the game.”
5/29/2006

How is he being humble here when accepting an offer from a totally strange team for only about $4 million a year? How is he being loyal to the people he's led on for years? He's established a dynasty for himself in STL and now he throws it all away for a few dollars more. I could understand if he only played for them for a few years, but he gave 11 years of blood, sweat, and tears for the STL fans.

For the Reds fans here, at least Votto's been vague and dances around the question each time he's asked about the future. We know he's gonna go to the highest bidder (as long as it's not NY). But Pujols? He could have had so much more and it would have only cost him about $4 million a year. When you'r making $20 million a year anyways, $4 million isn't that big of a discount. It's not going to put him in a higher tax bracket for sure. He could have been the next Stan Musial, Derek Jeter, Lou Gherig, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Johnny Bench, etc... But no, he had to go for a few dollars more.

I could even see it being reasonable if he went to Miami for more money b/c like Griffey, it would be a slight bit closer to home, but why California? Nothing against California and the Angels, I just don't get Pujols' actions here. Total d0chebag move in my opinion.

People crucified Lebron last year, but there's little to no outrage over this, not even from STL fans. Yes, I know that Pujols didn't schedule a tv interview to announce his decision making process, but Lebron didn't establish a dynasty in Cleveland like Pujols has in STL. At least Lebron left for more money AND a chance to win a championship. Albert already has a couple of championships and the ability to get a few more where he was at, even without TLR.

ninjavanish
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

Enough said. Get real bro. I like Pujols. I like the Cardinals. But when someone throws what basically amounts to a $260 Million retirement plan at you... you gotta think about the future... not just here and now. The Card's couldnt make him an offer like that.

Mattso3000
12-09-2011, 06:16 PM
To me it appears he's also thinking of the future by moving to the American League. Pretty clear that Pujols has potential DH written all over him.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

Enough said. Get real bro. I like Pujols. I like the Cardinals. But when someone throws what basically amounts to a $260 Million retirement plan at you... you gotta think about the future... not just here and now. The Card's couldnt make him an offer like that.

Which breaks down to an extra $4 million a year. If I made $25 million for 10 years, I'd glady give up $4 million a year to be an absolute legend.
Seriously, a $200 million retirment plan isn't enough. I need to get real? C'mon now.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 06:25 PM
The Cards offer was less than 200 million.
The reports that they moved to 10yrs 220 mil were false.
So its more like 6million per.
Granted, it may only be a drop in the bucket to a 200 million dollar man, but it's still 60 million whichever way you slice it.
I think the DH was a huge factor as well, for both Albert and the club!

Starscream
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
The Cards offer was less than 200 million.
The reports that they moved to 10yrs 220 mil were false.
So its more like 6million per.
Granted, it may only be a drop in the bucket to a 200 million dollar man, but it's still 60 million whichever way you slice it.

You got a link that supports that? I've heard it reported numerous times today that it was between $200 and $210 million. I'm not sure about a no trade clause offer like the Angels offered.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
You got a link that supports that? I've heard it reported numerous times today that it was between $200 and $210 million.

I missed today's reports and you are correct.
The final offer was between 200 - 210

Starscream
12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I missed today's reports and you are correct.
The final offer was between 200 - 210

It's ok. I thought I had bad info for a minute. Just wanted to make sure.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

I'm with Jeremy on this one. He has two rings with the Cardinals. Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing. But when I stop and think about it...what would I do? While the Cardinals have a better chance at winning than my Mets do, it is still very hard to turn down that kind of money. He's only get this opportunity once in his life and he went with the money.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing.

Weren't you the one who thanked him for 9 great years? :confused:
Not sure Reyes left for more $, considering the Mets never made him an offer!

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm with Jeremy on this one. He has two rings with the Cardinals. Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing. But when I stop and think about it...what would I do? While the Cardinals have a better chance at winning than my Mets do, it is still very hard to turn down that kind of money. He's only get this opportunity once in his life and he went with the money.

I see your point, Mac, but Reyes didn't establish a dynasty with the Mets like Pujols did. Pujols leaving STL is similar to if Jeter left the Yankees in 2001. Or Stan Musial leaving halfway in his tenure, or etc...
Plus, like Dom said, they never even made him an offer.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Weren't you the one who thanked him for 9 great years? :confused:
Not sure Reyes left for more $, considering the Mets never made him an offer!

I did thank him for nine great years...doesn't mean I wanted to see him leave. The Mets made it very clear that they were willing to go 5 years,$ 75-80 million...with an option for a 6th year. I cannot fault Jose for taking 6 years, $ 106 million and a chance to win now...because even I know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon with the Mets.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I did thank him for nine great years...doesn't mean I wanted to see him leave. The Mets made it very clear that they were willing to go 5 years,$ 75-80 million...with an option for a 6th year. I cannot fault Jose for taking 6 years, $ 106 million and a chance to win now...because even I know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon with the Mets.

I stand corrected. I didn't know they made him an offer.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I see your point, Mac, but Reyes didn't establish a dynasty with the Mets like Pujols did. Pujols leaving STL is similar to if Jeter left the Yankees in 2001. Or Stan Musial leaving halfway in his tenure, or etc...

Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively) and to do that in one place (ala Tony Gywnn) is honorable. But in todays age of free agents and crazy-a$$ contracts...I KNOW I'd take the money. And by the way, Mets and the word dynasty hardly go together in the same sentence. :r :r :r

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:08 PM

They didn't "woo" him like the Marlins did (they contacted Jose at 12:01 the day free agency opened) ...and it cost us. And then alderson makes some dumba$$ comment about how he should have offered a box of chocolates. :bh :bh :bh

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM

No they never made him an offer.
There were "discussions", between the Mets and his agent, but no offer was made.
FWIW Cashman had "discussions" with Reyes' agent and Pujols agent as well.
I think "discussions" are just standard operating procedure!

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
No they never made him an offer.
There were "discussions", between the Mets and his agent, but no offer was made.
FWIW Cashman had "discussions" with Reyes' agent and Pujols agent as well.
I think "discussions" are just standard operating procedure!

:bs Alderson made his agent an offer of 5 years, $ 75-80 million with an option for a 6th year (Peter Gammons doesn't lie). And less than 24 hours later, the Marins presented their offer (with a new stadium and warmer weather). And POOF...Reyes is no longer a Met.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively) and to do that in one place (ala Tony Gywnn) is honorable. But in todays age of free agents and crazy-a$$ contracts...I KNOW I'd take the money. And by the way, Mets and the word dynasty hardly go together in the same sentence. :r :r :r

:r You've always got the Miracle '69 team to look back on. Same with Cincinnati. I've always got the BRM from the 70s and the 90 team.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. :D
When Albert hits more homeruns than other Teams in the league, ala the Babe, we can talk about that.
Although, with the Mets lineup, it's not as unrealistic as it sounds ;) :r:r

FWIW
Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds all played for more than 1 team.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
:r You've always got the Miracle '69 team to look back on. Same with Cincinnati. I've always got the BRM from the 70s and the 90 team.

Let's not forget the 1986 team (Buckner ball). :D

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Would you really take the money over more enjoyable working conditions, Mac? I'd take a job that offered slightly less money for a job where I felt more comfortable, at home, enjoyed a bit more, and felt the most welcome at.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
When Albert hits more homeruns than other Teams in the league, ala the Babe, we can talk about that.

FWIW
Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds all played for more than 1 team.

Come on Dom...when the Babe played...noone else was hitting HRs. Not even a fair comparison. But I know...you gotta "toot" that Yankee horn. And I see there is no mention of that 315 right field fence that the Babe used to hit 'em over. :D

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Would you really take the money over more enjoyable working conditions, Mac? I'd take a job that offered slightly less money for a job where I felt more comfortable, at home, enjoyed a bit more, and felt the most welcome at.

$ 4-6 million a year is a tad more than "slightly more". Now if we are talking a few thousand dollars, probably not...but millions???? I'd be a Los Angeles Angel. :r :r

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Come on Dom...when the Babe played...noone else was hitting HRs. Not even a fair comparison. But I know...you gotta "toot" that Yankee horn. And I see there is no mention of that 315 right field fence that the Babe used to hit 'em over. :D

Regardless of my Yankee bias, Babe Ruth is the greatest offensive player in the history of the game!
The fact that he was hitting homeruns when nobody else was only strengthens a case, that doesn't need to be made!

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
, probably not...but millions???? I'd be a Los Angeles Angel. :r :r

I could probably get you to wear a Yankee hat for a Maduro! :rolleyes: :D

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
FWIW

I don't think you can call Bonds a legend (not with the steroids **). Babe, Mays, Aaron :tu :tu

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't think you can call Bonds a legend (not with the steroids **). Babe, Mays, Aaron :tu :tu

Probably right, I was just including the top HR hitters :tu

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I could probably get you to wear a Yankee hat for a Maduro! :rolleyes: :D

I love my maduros...but no way in hell am I putting a Yankees hat on. :r :r :r

I laughed so hard that I HAD to include that line in my signature.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:26 PM

FWIW

Ruth and Mays were traded (Ruth before he was established, and then again in 35 after he was through). Same for Mays. He was traded after he was washed up. In both cases the ownership should have showed some loyalty to these guys. Shame on them for trading them away after they gave so much (yet it was time for them both to retire). Aaron was released from his contract. Bonds was legit when he left Pittsburgh, but he wasn't a legend who played for 11 years with one team before he went to San Fran. It's the 11 year thing with one team being the best that I had a problem with.
If Pujols only played with the team for 4 or 5 years, then I would understand.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:27 PM

You enjoyed your time up north! :D

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv82/kelmac07_photo/DSC00199.jpg

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:28 PM
You enjoyed your time up north! :D

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv82/kelmac07_photo/DSC00199.jpg

I might be sitting on the couch...but I still have on a Mets hat. :D

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
$ 4-6 million a year is a tad more than "slightly more". Now if we are talking a few thousand dollars, probably not...but millions???? I'd be a Los Angeles Angel. :r :r

$21 million a year or $25.4 million a year. That's not that big a difference when you compare working conditions and legacy. Lower it down to $21,000 and $25,400. Now if it were 21,000 and 30,000, then I'd take the raise. But otherwise I'd stay where I was wanted, loved, and felt comfortable.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:31 PM

I laughed so hard that I HAD to include that line in my signature.
:r:r
You must spread some reputation around before giving to kelmac07 again.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
$21 million a year or $25.4 million a year. That's not that big a difference when you compare working conditions and legacy. Lower it down to $21,000 and $25,400. Now if it were 21,000 and 30,000, then I'd take the raise. But otherwise I'd stay where I was wanted, loved, and felt comfortable.

I still say that is a large amount over the period of the contract (10 years). Now if it were a 3-4 year contract, my thinking may be different. But we are talking in excess of $ 40 million. Kind of hard to leave that kind of money on the table Andy.

And Dom...lest we not forget whose daughter grabbed her "headgear of choice" in YOUR backyard with proud papa standing behind her.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv82/kelmac07_photo/DSC00274.jpg

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Ruth and Mays were traded (Ruth before he was established, and then again in 35 after he was through). Same for Mays. He was traded after he was washed up. In both cases the ownership should have showed some loyalty to these guys. Shame on them for trading them away after they gave so much (yet it was time for them both to retire). Aaron was released from his contract. Bonds was legit when he left Pittsburgh, but he wasn't a legend who played for 11 years with one team before he went to San Fran. It's the 11 year thing with one team being the best that I had a problem with.
If Pujols only played with the team for 4 or 5 years, then I would understand.

Andy, Prior to 1975 all players needed to be traded due to the reserve clause.
My point was more to the fact that over time, this never affected their Legacy.
Obviously, Players bolting for more dough is now the rule, rather than the exception.
I think this is another reason in the end it will not tarnish his legacy.

jonumberone
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
And Dom...lest we not forget whose daughter grabbed her "headgear of choice" in YOUR backyard with proud papa standing behind her.

Mac, this is the same two year old, who on numerous occasions, I caught eating rocks and leaves!
I think a Met hat suits her just fine!! :rolleyes::r:r

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Mac, this is the same two year old, who on numerous occasions, I caught eating rocks and leaves!
I think a Met hat suits her just fine!! :rolleyes::r

:r :r :r

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I still say that is a large amount over the period of the contract (10 years). Now if it were a 3-4 year contract, my thinking may be different. But we are talking in excess of $ 40 million. Kind of hard to leave that kind of money on the table Andy.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv82/kelmac07_photo/DSC00274.jpg

If the $44 million was given up front in one lump sum then I would agree. But on a per year basis, it's not as big a number.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Andy, Prior to 1975 all players needed to be traded due to the reserve clause.
My point was more to the fact that over time, this never affected their Legacy.
Obviously, Players bolting for more dough is now the rule, rather than the exception.
I think this is another reason in the end it will not tarnish his legacy.

Nail on the head. That's my biggest issue with pro sports. In a lot of cases, it's not an issue, but for a case like this, where he had one of the rare chances to play his entire career for one team would be awesome. Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin, Derek Jeter are a rare occurrence since the beginning of free agency. It's starting to turn me away from the MLB. I stuck behind and supported them during the MLB strike in 94, but it's just starting to be too much. Pro sports wouldn't be around if there weren't money to be made, but at the end of the day, the teams are around b/c of the fans and their support.

Starscream
12-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I guess now I do "get it", but I don't agree with it. Thanks for the conversation and discussion, Mac and Dom.

kelmac07
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Nail on the head. That's my biggest issue with pro sports. In a lot of cases, it's not an issue, but for a case like this, where he had one of the rare chances to play his entire career for one team would be awesome. Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin, Derek Jeter are a rare occurrence since the beginning of free agency. It's starting to turn me away from the MLB. I stuck behind and supported them during the MLB strike in 94, but it's just starting to be too much. Pro sports wouldn't be around if there weren't money to be made, but at the end of the day, the teams are around b/c of the fans and their support.

And don't forget these ludacris tv contracts...of which the Angels just signed a $ 3 BILLION one.

Amen!! The fans are the ones who suffer. I guess that is our fault for becoming "attached" to "our" players and caring. :bh

I guess now I do "get it", but I don't agree with it. Thanks for the conversation and discussion, Mac and Dom.

Anytime Andy...LOVE talking baseball. :tu :tu

Starscream
12-09-2011, 08:08 PM
And don't forget these ludacris tv contracts...of which the Angels just signed a $ 3 BILLION one.

Amen!! The fans are the ones who suffer. I guess that is our fault for becoming "attached" to "our" players and caring. :bh

Anytime Andy...LOVE talking baseball. :tu :tu
Sucks but it's true, and it's not just baseball.

I'll talk baseball anyday as well, Mac. I just might not be the most knowledgable guy in the park.:)

yourchoice
12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I think the day teams start showing loyalty to players is the day players should start showing loyalty to teams. It's a business on both sides. On the ownership side, I don't want my team rewarding players for past performance....that would likely just weaken the team's future performance (the Phillies did this with a lot of guys from the '93 team, killed them for years).

From the players perspective, the player, in this case Pujols, not only has his own financial reasons to take the money, but there's a lot of pressure from the Player's Union for each player to maximize their earnings for all future players' contracts.

And I root for laundry. :D

Eleven
12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Why aren't the Occupy Wall street people sh*tting bricks over stuff like this? Double standard perhaps?

688sonarmen
12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
The way I feel about it is I thought Pujols was going to be the player that truly loved the game. The way he played, the fact that his wife was his pitching coach in the off season, the money he donated to charity and the awards banquets he passed up to spend time with his daughter and other charity events. He was a product of St Louis and had roots established there. Not to mention the talk he talked as stated earlier. I really thought that he might be the guy to change just a little the way sports are now. It's a romantic thought and that's as far as it will go. Once Tony left it was a reality check on the past season of why Pujols did not want to talk about it, to "Let God" make the choice. The only sense I can make out of it is he spends more time playing as a DH and get all the money he can to help out the charities he supports. Either way id does not matter, he will go down in history as one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and St Louis benefited greatly from him and the guys that learned from him.

SvilleKid
12-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

And, at 32 years old now, and a 10 year contract!! He definitely has retirement all wrapped up!

icehog3
12-10-2011, 12:35 AM

This is huge. While Albert is an excellent fielder now, he likely won't be so agile in a few years.

While I miss the day when players played a whole career with one team, those days are gone. $200 million for the midwest, or $260 million for SoCal? No brainer for this guy.

longknocker
12-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

:tu Money Talks.

dom1n8r
12-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Interesting discussion here, and I think all made valid points. I didn't think Puljos would leave STL, but I'm happy being a Cub fan (I know). But I think he was looking at becoming a DH towards the end of his career. I don't think he's "too" concerned about his legacy right now, he's got two rings and he knows that he has a lot of HRs left in him. In the end, I believe that a mix of cash and the ability to he an everyday hitter without having to play a position played a huge role in his decision. And in all fairness, STL could have come up with an offer to keep him...not to mention, in professional sports (except in rare occasions) when it comes to money, enough is NEVER enough.

D

yachties23
12-10-2011, 05:23 AM
I still don't think there was an official offer on the table. At least nothing serious.

Stephen
12-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Come on Dom...when the Babe played...noone else was hitting HRs. Not even a fair comparison. But I know...you gotta "toot" that Yankee horn. And I see there is no mention of that 295 right field fence that the Babe used to hit 'em over. :D
FTFY.:tu

Stephen
12-10-2011, 05:31 AM
*allegedly*

yourchoice
12-10-2011, 06:26 AM
*allegedly*

:lr

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P5HSicrN28g/TVyNwnJ039I/AAAAAAAAACM/mNQFO8UqPmM/s320/bobble%2Bbonds.jpg

Starscream
12-10-2011, 07:38 AM
I think the day teams start showing loyalty to players is the day players should start showing loyalty to teams. It's a business on both sides. On the ownership side, I don't want my team rewarding players for past performance....that would likely just weaken the team's future performance (the Phillies did this with a lot of guys from the '93 team, killed them for years).

From the players perspective, the player, in this case Pujols, not only has his own financial reasons to take the money, but there's a lot of pressure from the Player's Union for each player to maximize their earnings for all future players' contracts.

And I root for laundry. :D
I get that, and it's sad. Agents have ruined the players' union in some aspects. I won't say there's any blackballing going on for accepting less money, but they're certainly frowned upon by their peers.

SmokeyJoe
12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I still don't get it and say he's a d0uchebag. He's said how great STL is for so long and here are some quotes to prove it.

You are entitled to your view, but it is hard for me to see feeling so hard toward a guy who did so much for the Cardinals. My :2

qwerty1500
12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Definitely have a lot of mixed emotions about this.

I am grateful to have seen a future Hall of Fame player in a Cardinals uniform for 11 seasons. Time will tell if those were the best years of his career. We saw so many home runs and gold glove plays as well as Albert’s pure baseball instinct. I will appreciate all of that forever as a Cardinal fan and a fan of the game.

I am happy for Albert and the Angels. Talent deserves to be rewarded and a quarter billion dollars is an amazing amount of money. I guess the Angels can afford it thanks to their new $3 billion Fox Sports television contract. They now have a real threat in the middle of their lineup and a new star to attract disgruntled Dodger fans.

I feel bad for all the five year old kids in their Pujols t-shirts and the lesson this taught them about loyalty.

I feel good about Cardinal management. They were aware of Albert’s age and the likely impacts of past and current injuries on his future performance. Also, did they see a hole in his swing as Albert hit into one double play after another in 2011? Nevertheless, they offered more than they should to make their fans happy and to give Albert an opportunity to become a Cardinal legend.

I’m a little relieved and very optimistic about the future.

This contract has been hanging over our heads for a couple of years. I’m glad it’s over and that management didn’t mortgage the next decade on one player.

It is a little late and I don’t see any obvious moves in the free-agent pool other than maybe Rollins at short. Don’t know enough about the relievers on the market but the bullpen would be a good place to drop some cash for 2012.

Management has worked hard to restock the farm system and the Cards have some prospects that should have a real impact in a year or two. With a couple of tweaks, I’d be willing to muddle through 2012 with the current roster and use Albert’s $20+ million a year to improve the team when the right deals come along.

Finally, I’m mostly glad that Albert is going to the American League and won’t be in a Cub uniform.

Sorry to be so windy but this topic has been on the minds of a lot of folks around here the last couple of days. It feels good just to get it off my chest.

Starscream
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
You are entitled to your view, but it is hard for me to see feeling so hard toward a guy who did so much for the Cardinals. My :2

You're right, Joe. D0uchebag is a strong word. He's not. I just expected more out of him. After all the talk that he's said over the years, I kinda put him above a lot of other baseball players when it comes to pride, ego, and money. I just thought he would be a bit more pure than the status quo is in baseball today when it came to money.
We watch sports for the competition, the excitement, and the ability to root and be passionate about something. And at the end of the day, many still want to see a fairy tale ending. But I guess fairy tales in sports are becoming a thing of the past. As much as I don't like the Yankees, I do love the fact that they have kept Jeter, Rivera, and Posada intact since day one. Same for Atlanta and keeping Chipper Jones. I really didn't expect Pujols to go the A-Rod route.