PDA

View Full Version : Call me a noob..

Flounder
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Call me a noob, but what is this?

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/promo.cfm?feature=cigars_120511&qv=22651&emk=EMW1910&utm_source=WeeklySale&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EMW1910&utm_content=cigars

I know better than to think that they are legit Cubans, because I don't understand how SOME Cubans could be real and legal with the embargo. Please advise.

mariogolbee
12-05-2011, 08:54 AM
"Noob..." Request granted!

P.S. After briefly checking at your link, the cigars there are not Cuban. They do have the same brand names as many Cubans, but the rights to the names outside of Cuba are owned by General Cigar, IIRC. However, I'm not sure why you are referring to the embargo.

darkninja67
12-05-2011, 08:58 AM
looks like they are marketing to shall we say............n00bs??

mariogolbee
12-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Just because they are not Cubans doesn't mean they are bad, though. At least half of those cigars are at the very lease, decent. The Sna Cristobol, for example, is a good cigar and blended by Pepin for Ashton.

Flounder
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Dont get me wrong. I understand how the trademarks went out the window when the embargo was placed, so non-Cuban companies picked them up (something like that), And I knew they were all formerly Cuban brand names, just was wondering if there was a way someone found away around the whole "Cubans be illegal" thing. And I do like the Cohibas and such.

darkninja67
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Dont get me wrong. I understand how the trademarks went out the window when the embargo was placed, so non-Cuban companies picked them up (something like that), And I knew they were all formerly Cuban brand names, just was wondering if there was a way someone found away around the whole "Cubans be illegal" thing. And I do like the Cohibas and such.

I believe Camacho was selling "pre embargo" cigars made with Cuban tobacco.

Emjaysmash
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
No. There is no way to legally sell cuban cigars to/within the US unless they are pre-embargo.

T.G
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Call me a noob, but what is this?

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/promo.cfm?feature=cigars_120511&qv=22651&emk=EMW1910&utm_source=WeeklySale&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EMW1910&utm_content=cigars

I know better than to think that they are legit Cubans, because I don't understand how SOME Cubans could be real and legal with the embargo. Please advise.

Famous is simply being creative with the ads. Using terms like "Cuban Heritage" are often used by many vendors and manufacturers to draw attention to their cigars, which in turn, increases the chances of sales.

There's nothing Cuban about those cigars except the commonality in the name and the possible involvement of a few Cuban expatriates in their blending and/or production. There is no Cuban tobacco in those cigars and they were not rolled in Cuba.

"Noob..." Request granted!

P.S. After briefly checking at your link, the cigars there are not Cuban. They do have the same brand names as many Cubans, but the rights to the names outside of Cuba are owned by General Cigar, IIRC. However, I'm not sure why you are referring to the embargo.

FYI: General Cigar is but one of many that own US trademark rights to Cuban brand names. Altadis, MATASA, Ashton, Lignum-2 just to name a few others. The cigars featured in those samplers come from a number of these different brand owners. And, just to clarify, these trademark rights are not "to the names outside of Cuba" but rather, only to the rights of the names in the US.

massphatness
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
The key word in the ad is "Heritage" meaning these cigars had their roots originally in Cuba, but not now. That root might be in the name, or were cultivated originally using "Cuban seed", etc.

Or what Adam said above ...

ktblunden
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
It irritates me how many manufacturers there are that have worked "Cuba", "Cuban", or "Habano" into the name of their cigar, when none of them are actually Cuban. It's designed to prey on the less informed. I've met people who were completely convinced a shop sells actual Cuban cigars because, "They say Cuba right on the band." It's a dishonest practice I wish would go away.

Sonic04GT
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
The key word in the ad is "Heritage" meaning these cigars had their roots originally in Cuba, but not now. That root might be in the name, or were cultivated originally using "Cuban seed", etc.

Or what Adam said above ...

Exactly, coming from a noob myself ;)

Doctorossi
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
It irritates me how many manufacturers there are that have worked "Cuba", "Cuban", or "Habano" into the name of their cigar, when none of them are actually Cuban.

"Habano" almost always refers to the tobacco variety, as (typically) comprises the blend's wrapper and, as such, is neither incorrect nor necessarily intended to confuse or obfuscate.

icehog3
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Noob.jpg

Flounder
12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I guess my thing was that, "Times they are-a changin'," wasn't sure if I was missing something, I didn't see the "Heritage" on the page. I know that there are many Cuban Blends, and such that are in fact, not Cuban at all.

Brutus2600
12-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I guess because they used a "?" after Legal Cubans it made ok and not false advertising, rofl.

goomer
12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I believe Camacho was selling "pre embargo" cigars made with Cuban tobacco.

From what I've seen the pre embargo cigars only have SOME pre ban cuban tobacco in them. It could mean as little as a pinch. Just more marketing that really doesn't amount to anything so far as the quality of the cigar. However, I would guess that if it takes that type of marketing to sell the cigars, they're probably not top shelf. Just my .02

Emjaysmash
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
From what I've seen the pre embargo cigars only have SOME pre ban cuban tobacco in them. It could mean as little as a pinch. Just more marketing that really doesn't amount to anything so far as the quality of the cigar. However, I would guess that if it takes that type of marketing to sell the cigars, they're probably not top shelf. Just my .02

In the case of Camacho, this is true. They use current leaf with a pinch of pre-embargo tobacco to give the gimmick of something that's better.

Clear Havanas, one the other hand, may well be worth finding as all of thier tobacco is pre-embargo.

pektel
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Also, check out Pinar P3000's. I believe those are supposed to be 100% pre-embargo cuban tobacco.

*I have never tried them, so I have no idea if it's just a marketing tactic. Just read about them recently is all.

T.G
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
:lr

bobarian
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
:hy

Doctorossi
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey guys, let's be careful not to make the OP feel silly for asking the question. Everybody has to learn sometime.

Flounder
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I feel stupider for not being able to explain that I am not as stupid as I sound. I know that there are Cohibas and such that aren't real Cubans. I just saw "Legal Cubans" and thought "really?" more confused by there advertising than anything else.

I've smoked a fair share of Cohibas and RP "Cuban Blends" and no better than to thin that they are legit.

icehog3
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
You're not "stupid" at all, Ethan, many of us had these questions at some point.

I just called you "noob" because you asked me to. ;) :r

Flounder
12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I know you did haha. I do wish I had a cigar tree right now.

BlkDrew
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I do wish I had a cigar tree right now.

I do...

Well in some shape or form, Ethan, get a hold of me I have a couple sticks for you.

Flounder
12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
When you on break? We oughta do something somewhere this weekend. Sundays suck for me, but beyond that I'm free.

T.G
12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I feel stupider for not being able to explain that I am not as stupid as I sound. I know that there are Cohibas and such that aren't real Cubans. I just saw "Legal Cubans" and thought "really?" more confused by there advertising than anything else.

I've smoked a fair share of Cohibas and RP "Cuban Blends" and no better than to thin that they are legit.

Nah, no need to feel stupid Ethan, you came across loud and clear. I think most of us knew what you meant, and a number of us answered as such.

Bob and I weren't laughing at you buddy, just the marketing claims behind certain cigars mentioned later in the thread.

BlkDrew
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
When you on break? We oughta do something somewhere this weekend. Sundays suck for me, but beyond that I'm free.

I have a heated garage, I'm free whenever. I work nights and go to school till noon.

Flounder
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
When you free Saturday?

Dr Voss
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
An easy way to solve this whole thing would be to lift the stupid out of date hard headed narrow minded embargo. Then, oh my could it be, a Cuban could be a Cuban. I know, I know, preaching to the choir.

bobarian
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Nah, no need to feel stupid Ethan, you came across loud and clear. I think most of us knew what you meant, and a number of us answered as such.

[B]Bob and I weren't laughing at you buddy, just the marketing claims behind certain cigars mentioned later in the thread.[B]

QFT. For those that are curious it would be best to do some research on cigars such as the Pinar 3000 and the outlandish claims behind them.

To the OP, the education regarding Cuban cigars and "cuban heritage" or "cuban seed" is something every cigar smoker encounters and overcomes at some point. We have all been through it before. We try to advise in a manner which conveys humor and lightheartedness to this sensitive subject. Marketing is a powerful tool often easily overpowering truth and honesty. :2

Flounder
12-05-2011, 05:20 PM
An easy way to solve this whole thing would be to lift the stupid out of date hard headed narrow minded embargo. Then, oh my could it be, a Cuban could be a Cuban. I know, I know, preaching to the choir.

I've talked to people that believe when that happens the name of the game will be mass production to the silly US kids that ALL want Cubans, and the quaility of cigar will decrease sufficiently.