PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles: What am I missing?

blugill
12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I'll start off by saying I don't get it. I'm 41, listened to them on the radio when they were on the radio. Was a paperboy in high school and frequently heard the radio documentaries about their life and times every weekend but I don't get it.

I'd be perfectly happy to never listen to another Beatles tune and not regret it. I know a lot of people still listen to them, but I find their stuff tired, dated, and not really relevant today.

Now Led Zeppelin on the other hand!

BC-Axeman
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM
+1
There are a few good Beatles songs but the Eagles even kick their butts for staying power.

longknocker
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
"Here Comes The Sun"- Best Song Ever! :) I Like Led Zeppelin & The Eagles, Too, Though. :tu

MajorCaptSilly
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I appreciate them but don't like them so much. I'm a much bigger fan of The Who and The Kinks.

MCS

bobarian
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Sgt Peppers, best album of all time end to end.:tu

14holestogie
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Without the Beatles, I'm not sure we're talking about any other British bands. :2

mase
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm with you - I don't get it. My favorite is Led Zeppelin. I like the Stones much more than the Beatles.

RevSmoke
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
OK, the one I don't get is Elvis.

Beatles? What's not to get about them? They were doing things nobody was doing. Don't compare them to today.

forgop
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh

bobarian
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Elvis, Beatles, The Doors, Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush....all of them....meh

Yeah, a bunch of no names, never heard of 'em. :lr:lr

14holestogie
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
No offense, Andy, but if you're 41, the Beatles songs you were hearing on the radio were 10-15 years old by the time you were hearing them (I'm assuming late 70's by the time you were listening). They should have seemed a little dated. Now, if you were listening as these songs were appearing for the first time, then you'd understand what Rev is talking about.
It was inventive stuff that opened doors and challenged others to keep up.

mosesbotbol
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
The later the Beatles recording, the more I like it. I loved John Lennon's solo work. I like the Stones much more as a band, but Beatles have better song writting and composition IMO.

14holestogie
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
The later the Beatles recording, the more I like it. I loved John Lennon's solo work. I like the Stones much more as a band, but Beatles have better song writting and composition IMO.

If you listen to their earliest stuff next to their later stuff, the growth these guys showed in their 6-7 year life was unparallelled.

blugill
12-04-2011, 06:11 PM
No offense, Andy, but if you're 41, the Beatles songs you were hearing on the radio were 10-15 years old by the time you were hearing them (I'm assuming late 70's by the time you were listening). They should have seemed a little dated. Now, if you were listening as these songs were appearing for the first time, then you'd understand what Rev is talking about.
It was inventive stuff that opened doors and challenged others to keep up.

None taken, that's what I'm asking. What am I missing?

RichardW
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
You shoulda been there -- were born too late ;)

forgop
12-04-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm just saying I won't listen to any of it because I just don't "get" any of them. I would prefer silence over listening to any of those groups. ;s

markem
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm just saying I won't listen to any of it because I just don't "get" any of them. I would prefer silence over listening to any of those groups. ;s

I can understand. There are plenty of things over which I prefer silence :rolleyes:

pnoon
12-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I can understand. There are plenty of things over which I prefer silence :rolleyes:
:tpd:

Gophernut
12-04-2011, 06:35 PM

I am a huge Rush fan, and to even have them included on this list, is a huge honor if you ask me. Yes, I do understand you don't necessarily like them. I have honestly never even thought of them in this league, and they are my all time favorite band.:banger

pnoon
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM

That's o.k.
We don't care for Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus.
:banger

longknocker
12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
That's o.k.

Well Said, Peter! :r :tu

T.G
12-04-2011, 07:06 PM
LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!!!

*sob*

pnoon
12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!!!

*sob*
:lr

bobarian
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
That's o.k.

Blasphemer! May you be smited by the spirit of Katy Perry! :banger

Resipsa
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM

:r:r

Silence is Golden by the tremolos.

I FINALLY get that song! Thank you Mark!:r

forgop
12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
That's o.k.

Me neither.

blugill
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I think everyone on this forum can agree that Lady Justin Cyrus Spears is bad music and no one should listen to it. They have a limited shelf life and will fade into New Kids territory soon enough.

Resipsa
12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Same thing lots of people said about the Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls.....

Ashcan Bill
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Different strokes and all that.

I remember when they came over here and did their first tour. Remember the Beatles trading cards. Remember the little girls in the hood going all gaa gaa over them. Remember when their songs first hit the charts.

There're a few songs they did I like. Norwegian Wood comes to mind.

But I never cared much for them. I preferred Buffalo Springfield, Cream, the Stones, Joplin and the Holding Co. - a whole host of others. The sixties were a rich time for music.

They were good, but just a part of a large whole.

yellowgoat
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Srg.pepper is overated. Let it be was the best and always makes me think about how much more they could have done.

SvilleKid
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll start off by saying I don't get it. I'm 41, listened to them on the radio when they were on the radio. Was a paperboy in high school and frequently heard the radio documentaries about their life and times every weekend but I don't get it.

I'd be perfectly happy to never listen to another Beatles tune and not regret it. I know a lot of people still listen to them, but I find their stuff tired, dated, and not really relevant today.

Preach on, brother!! I'm a decade older than you, and have listened to them all my life. Enough is enough. I liked them when I was younger, but have 100% burned out on them! That's it, plain and simple - Burn Out. I don't have a single Beatles tune on my iPhone or on any of my computers. Just can't listen to them any more. pretty much the same way with Elvis. I recently purchased over 500 LPs from a guy, which had a dozen or so original Beatles album hidden in the lot. Plan on selling every last one of them. Same with the dozen or more Elvis LPs in the bunch.

MajorCaptSilly
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I think everyone on this forum can agree that Lady Justin Cyrus Spears is bad music and no one should listen to it. They have a limited shelf life and will fade into New Kids territory soon enough.

Music is like cigars. Listen to what you like and like what you listen to. There's no such thing as bad music as long as somebody is gaining enjoyment from it.

MCS

Marlon K
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm With you on this one.

BC-Axeman
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
What ever happened to Shaun Cassidy? He seemed to have such a promising future.

SvilleKid
12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
What ever happened to Shaun Cassidy? He seemed to have such a promising future.
:r

He actually has stayed very busy as a produced on TV shows, including several big shows. Latest is on several episodes of "Blue Bloods". I saw his name on several of the episodes, and had to look it up to see if it was the same person!

icehog3
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
The Beatles aren't on my list of favorite bands, but they have LOTS of songs I enjoy.

I prefer to listen to silence over intolerant rants though (not you, Andy). Stones, Elvis, Floyd = meh? Gimmie a break. :rolleyes:

bobarian
12-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Floyd rocks!:banger

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6001/floydthebarber.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/floydthebarber.jpg/)

icehog3
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm an Aunt Bea man.....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/auntbea-1.jpg

maninblack
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
The Stones were the best British band in my opinion. But they've overstayed their welcome.

icehog3
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
The Stones were the best British band in my opinion. But they've overstayed their welcome.

Much like my ex-wife.

bobarian
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm an Aunt Bea man.....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/auntbea-1.jpg

The other Bea is very dissapointed. :(

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9633/73232maudel.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/73232maudel.jpg/)

MNSmoker
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
You like what you like. Different strokes and all that jazz. You don't like The Beatles, and that's OK. Personally I love The Beatles and I think they're the greatest band of all time.

I'd like to preface this by stating that I'm 29 years old, so I never got to experience The Beatles music when it was first released. My dad and uncle are gigantic Beatles fans, so I've grown up with The Beatles my whole life.

The Beatles essentially started out as a pop band, but the progression that the band made musically over their career is nothing short of amazing to me. They encompassed many different genres of music and were a very experimental group. I'm still blown away by how creative that group was. With songs like "The Long and Winding Road", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday" and "A Day in the Life", I'm still in awe of these songs after listening to them a thousand times over. And the songwriting of these guys was brilliant! I still get goosebumps every time I hear the song "In my Life".

And then there's the whole social aspect of the group's impact and the following British Invasion, but I'm too young to speak on that directly.

I'd also like to add that a small, but important, part of The Beatles success was the direction and musical addition of George Martin. He produced practically all of The Beatles albums and had a direct influence on the group and how their music progressed over the years.

Again, to each their own. And I love Led Zeppelin BTW :D

irratebass
12-05-2011, 04:32 AM

You like what you like. Different strokes and all that jazz. You don't like The Beatles, and that's OK. Personally I love The Beatles and I think they're the greatest band of all time.

I'd like to preface this by stating that I'm 29 years old, so I never got to experience The Beatles music when it was first released. My dad and uncle are gigantic Beatles fans, so I've grown up with The Beatles my whole life.

The Beatles essentially started out as a pop band, but the progression that the band made musically over their career is nothing short of amazing to me. They encompassed many different genres of music and were a very experimental group. I'm still blown away by how creative that group was. With songs like "The Long and Winding Road", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday" and "A Day in the Life", I'm still in awe of these songs after listening to them a thousand times over. And the songwriting of these guys was brilliant! I still get goosebumps every time I hear the song "In my Life".

And then there's the whole social aspect of the group's impact and the following British Invasion, but I'm too young to speak on that directly.

I'd also like to add that a small, but important, part of The Beatles success was the direction and musical addition of George Martin. He produced practically all of The Beatles albums and had a direct influence on the group and how their music progressed over the years.

Again, to each their own. And I love Led Zeppelin BTW :D

I agree with Smoker on all accounts, I was around the beatles all my life, my stepdad was the biggest fan I ever met. I didn't get to fully appreciate them until I was in my late 20's I had heard their big hits, but never REALLY listened to them then I started out slowly and discovered just how brilliant these 4 guys were, as someone and a lot of people have already said they were doing stuff that no one else had done. They re-invented the wheel when it comes to music, all of their stuff was so original and groundbreaking.

As smoker mentioned George Martin gave them an AMAZING sound, throw on Revolver put your headphones on and just listen to dynamic sound seeping in your ears, then put in an Eagles, Cars or Fleetwood Mac (just throwing a few randoms) the production cannot be touched. Same with Jimi Hendrix, NO ONE sounds like them the way they were produced.

But away from the production they were just brilliant musicians. I have always felt like they were 4 aliens who came to Earth made amazing sounds then left us too briefly.....but that's just my :2

Bill86
12-05-2011, 04:37 AM
I'll toss my hat into the "not a Beatles fan" group. I mean a few of their songs are good but I don't get it.

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones :banger

I don't think there is a single moment of any day I wouldn't want to hear the Stones or Floyd.

BC-Axeman
12-05-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm not a Stones fan either. The Beatles came up with better stuff in their heroin addicted, acid crazed period than the Stones anyway. During their kid-pop days the Stones were more edgy. I'm not a fan of the total separation mixing that the Beatles used in their production unless it is for special effect. They never thought of putting the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell and the mic at the top (Levee Breaks). Pink Floyd and Zep also explored many genres of music and were very creative songwriters, though Floyd was sometimes pretty far out there, Animals will always be one of my favorites. I was a complete Beatles nut when I was a kid and can still sing along with almost every song that I hear so maybe I should re-explore my album collection. Antique music now.

madwilliamflint
12-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Bunch of overrated guttersnipes.

Did their time, practiced their ass off, were really tight and were one of the stepping stones on the path to the discovery of rock and roll. So they have their place.

But good lord does their music make my ears hurt.

shilala
12-05-2011, 07:59 AM
I feel exactly the same way, both the Beatles and Zep. I usually get skewered for saying I don't care if I ever hear another Pink Floyd song again. I've had more than enough.
Same as always, to each his own, smoke what ya like... :tu

OLS
12-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Doesn't "get" Elvis, lol.

It's simple. In order to "get" Bix Beiderbecke, you have to have tolerated whatever came a generation
before him. In order to get Buddy Holly, you had to understand what came one or two generations behind
HIM. In order to "get" Elvis, you needed to know about Count Basie, the big bands, and 50 other 1940s acts
branching into whatever stuck up white milktoast music people were digging 20 years before him. In order to
get the Beatles, you have to get Elvis. Everything built on or was a Violent reaction to everything that came
before it. People who like Hip Hop listen to the Sugarhill Gang and Grandmaster Flash and think "people actually
LISTENED TO THIS??" Elvis was a gigantic innovator not only because of what he did, but what color he was
doing it. He took music that people wanted to get into (but couldn't) or wouldn't, because it was "colored
music" When they found out he was a white kid, the lid came off the whole deal. The Beatles listened to Elvis
and tried to copy and out-swing him. With music you either like it or not. No need to question why you don't
get it. But it is very enriching to study American popular music since the 1880s and see the tree grow.

You may not know this, but in England, before Buddy Holly and Elvis, the popular british bands at the
time were playing a music that equates to Dixieland Jazz (skiffle). Yes, the people in the Rolling Stones
were playing skiffle before they heard these records. Can you imagine what those race records did to
those kids when they heard them?? Talk about blowing the lid off of something.

BC-Axeman
12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I feel exactly the same way, both the Beatles and Zep. I usually get skewered for saying I don't care if I ever hear another Pink Floyd song again. I've had more than enough.
Ack!!!! Skewer him!!!!

OLS
12-05-2011, 08:19 AM

I am like this in that I can't listen to classic rock to save my life. I heard it new, I heard it as the
alternative to the new 70s and 80's am POP, I heard it as the 'classic alternative to alternative.
I have heard it over and over til I am blue in the face with it. That's why I latched on completely to punk
and alternative music. I didn't care what it was as long as it was NEW. That was great stuff in the 60s
and 70s, but don't make me listen to it now. I made it even worse on myself when I was in the service.
I had already lived the genre, then I would go down to the Sound Shop at the Gulfport mall and buy 'cutouts'.
People who are old like me remember cutouts. They were out of print record albums that had been lined up
in long stacks and had a circular saw run over the right hand corner, removing a half inch piece of the album cover.
For a buck apiece, I bought all these records, 100's of em and played them all over again for ten MORE years.
Yeah, I am done with classic rock, lol.

ktblunden
12-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Some bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, and Led Zeppelin had such an impact on music at the time they came out that they will forever be remembered as some of the greatest artists ever. For people of their time periods, they were. They played stuff people had never heard before. They contributed to and influenced music as it sounds today. However, the newer generations have their own music they identify with, and the older acts don't always hold up after all this time has passed.

I don't begrudge people who think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever, but I also ask that they don't begrudge my opinion that I can't stand their music. I think you can respect the influence of the older acts without being forced to like and worship their music. There is a tendency on both sides of the aisle to look down on the other for either "living in the past" or for "not respecting the past." Both sides need to realize that everyone's taste in music is different.

All that being said, I really like later Beatles stuff. Their early songs are way too formulaic and trite for me, but the later stuff has some really impressive songwriting and structure.

Ashcan Bill
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM

There are two groups from the "era" I've never had any use for. Floyd and the Bee Gees. The first I've always kinda considered to pretty much be stoner music, although I always preferred Ozzie when indulging. The second, I just don't know what the hell to call it. :lr

I am like this in that I can't listen to classic rock to save my life. I heard it new, I heard it as the
alternative to the new 70s and 80's am POP, I heard it as the 'classic alternative to alternative.
I have heard it over and over til I am blue in the face with it. That's why I latched on completely to punk
and alternative music. I didn't care what it was as long as it was NEW. That was great stuff in the 60s
and 70s, but don't make me listen to it now. I made it even worse on myself when I was in the service.
I had already lived the genre, then I would go down to the Sound Shop at the Gulfport mall and buy 'cutouts'.
People who are old like me remember cutouts. They were out of print record albums that had been lined up
in long stacks and had a circular saw run over the right hand corner, removing a half inch piece of the album cover.
For a buck apiece, I bought all these records, 100's of em and played them all over again for ten MORE years.
Yeah, I am done with classic rock, lol.

My beef with the so called "classic rock" stations are their extremely limited play lists. They take 100 songs from a period that produced tens of thousands, and keep playing them over and over until it becomes nauseating. I always wonder about the IQs of the people that put together the play lists. When was the last time you heard Savoy Brown on "classic rock" radio? :rolleyes:

ktblunden
12-05-2011, 10:06 AM
My beef with the so called "classic rock" stations are their extremely limited play lists. They take 100 songs from a period that produced tens of thousands, and keep playing them over and over until it becomes nauseating. I always wonder about the IQs of the people that put together the play lists. When was the last time you heard Savoy Brown on "classic rock" radio? :rolleyes:

Agreed 100%. I lump all radio stations in with this, even satellite radio. I found XM to be so fresh when I first got it, but I've come to the conclusion that those stations have their standard playlists as well and day-to-day you hear the exact same songs (often times at the same time of day as well).

Bruins Fan
12-05-2011, 01:39 PM

You answered your own question,your only 41 and was not around in the 60's to see and be part of what was going on,it was sex,drugs,and rock and roll.
The Beatles were the tip of the spear that changed music :D

The Poet
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
You obviously don't realize it, brother, but the title of your thread states more than you likely intended. You ask, "What am I missing?", and not "What's all the fuss?". On some level, you seem to grasp that this is YOUR problem (or issue, if you prefer) and not the problem of those who DON'T "miss it".

As others have stated, you almost had to be there. I could go on for days, but there's not much point to it. Simply realize that, long after both you and I are dead, people will still be listening to The Beatles.

ArgusP2
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
A time, a place, and a state of mind.

I've listened and enjoyed all the groups and soloists mentioned above, except Miley Beiber, and I'm sure a few others of this generation's pre-teen sensations. I grew up mostly on Led Zepplin, Rush, Who and Rolling Stones. I've also grown to appreciate bands like Coldplay, Silversun Pickups and yes, Josh Grobin. It all depends on how each band, soloist or song spoke to you.
The Beatles, then and to some extent now, made a connection, just as the songs of today speak to us now (or don't).

A time, a place, and a state of mind.
Rocky Patel: What am I missing?

Just sayin'

Starscream
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM

I prefer Queen myself.

pektel
12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
They were doing things nobody was doing. Don't compare them to today.

EXACTLY. Listen to the other music being performed at that period in time. They were game changers.

Moreover, music today may very well have been HUGELY different if it weren't for the beatles.

AD720
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
:cali:cali

Parshooter
12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
If you listen to their earliest stuff next to their later stuff, the growth these guys showed in their 6-7 year life was unparallelled.

Thanks to drugs.

icehog3
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes....thanks to drugs, and all the irreparable harm that quitting them 25 years ago has done to me.

68TriShield
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I prefer not to be in any camp.

markem
12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I prefer not to be in any camp.

Then why do you belong to that nudist camp?

68TriShield
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Then why do you belong to that nudist camp?

That camp doesn't count Mark :sl

mosesbotbol
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks to drugs.

Lennon & McCarthy are the song writing pair of all time.

The Poet
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks to drugs.

Though I am reluctant to bring this up, it remains a valid reason why you may be "missing it" with the Beatles. The use of hallucinogens such as mescaline, psilocybin, and most notably LSD not only affected the perception of the members of The Beatles (and other bands) but also effected their music as well. It also follows as the night the day that the understanding of their music by the fans was changed by the fans' own usage of these substances. This change in their music began as early as Revolver and Rubber Soul, but reached a mind-expanded peak with Sgt. Pepper. You can believe this or not, but there's no way you can truly "understand" an album like Sgt. Pepper (or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, or Traffic's Low Spark Of High Heel Boys, or many others) unless you've "dropped" an hour before you listen to them. Under the influence, you then can grasp what they are doing, both musically and lyrically, in a way that's just not possible when you're "straight". But once you have this revelation, this epiphany, you can never hear it the same way again, no matter what condition your condition is in. Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."

I'm certainly not suggesting you return to the days of Owsley's blotter and windowpane LSD-25 in order to find out what you are missing, but merely point out the potential roadblock to this. And it does not mean one can't appreciate their music (or not, as the case may be) without chemical aids. One does not need to be a mathematician to enjoy the music of J.S. Bach, yet such a knowledge will give one a more complete understanding. That's all I'm saying here.

pnoon
12-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Something fun to lighten the mood. Yet topical

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

MNSmoker
12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Something fun to lighten the mood. Yet topical

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

We're done as a society.

icehog3
12-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Paul McCartney wasn't bad either. :)

Volusianator
12-07-2011, 01:59 AM
:tu:tu:tu

Beatles? What's not to get about them? They were doing things nobody was doing. Don't compare them to today.

Lumpold
12-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Y'all need to get hold of Mellow Dubmarine (http://www.amazon.com/Mellow-Dubmarine-Tribute-Various-Artists/dp/B00005K22I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323257591&sr=8-1)

Stephen
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Though I am reluctant to bring this up, it remains a valid reason why you may be "missing it" with the Beatles. The use of hallucinogens such as mescaline, psilocybin, and most notably LSD not only affected the perception of the members of The Beatles (and other bands) but also effected their music as well. It also follows as the night the day that the understanding of their music by the fans was changed by the fans' own usage of these substances. This change in their music began as early as Revolver and Rubber Soul, but reached a mind-expanded peak with Sgt. Pepper. You can believe this or not, but there's no way you can truly "understand" an album like Sgt. Pepper (or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, or Traffic's Low Spark Of High Heel Boys, or many others) unless you've "dropped" an hour before you listen to them. Under the influence, you then can grasp what they are doing, both musically and lyrically, in a way that's just not possible when you're "straight". But once you have this revelation, this epiphany, you can never hear it the same way again, no matter what condition your condition is in. Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."

I'm certainly not suggesting you return to the days of Owsley's blotter and windowpane LSD-25 in order to find out what you are missing, but merely point out the potential roadblock to this. And it does not mean one can't appreciate their music (or not, as the case may be) without chemical aids. One does not need to be a mathematician to enjoy the music of J.S. Bach, yet such a knowledge will give one a more complete understanding. That's all I'm saying here.
What do deadheads say when they sober up?

What the Hell is this awful music??!!!

icehog3
12-07-2011, 09:08 AM
What do deadheads say when they sober up?

What the Hell is this awful music??!!!

I thought that was Parrotheads. ;)

14holestogie
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I thought that was Parrotheads. ;)

We never sober up. ;)

AD720
12-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Paul McCartney wasn't bad either. :)

hmmmmmmmm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg/150px-Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg

and

http://www.senatormccarthy.com/images/mccarthy2.jpg

:tf:tf

icehog3
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
We never sober up. ;)

No wonder he keeps selling records. ;) :lr

gorob23
12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Me, I've dropped nothing stronger than an Advil for nearly 40 years, yet I still "get it."

Not true! What about that cigar we had at the Deck .... had to be some thing in that :tu

Look it is really easy either you like it or you don't. I for one have found that as I have gotten older my taste have changed so much it amazes me. AND if there is shot singer involved I LIKE IT! ;s

Come on Shakira enough said. So dose want a sing-a-long!;s

Rob;)

floydpink
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Just about listed the soundtrack of my life.

cricky101
12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

:r What could they possibly have contributed to popular music ?? :rolleyes:

longknocker
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
We never sober up. ;)

:tu Long Live Buffett!:banger:D

shilala
12-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Deep Tracks on Sirius mixes things up a bit. I get to hear some stuff on there I haven't heard for years.
I've about burned out on "classic rock" stations, but commercial radio mainly. I listen to lots of odd stuff now. Lucinda Williams, Big Head Todd, Alison Krauss, White Stripes, Modest Mouse and some other new alternative bands that actually have talent and some "art" about them.
I just dig around and find old blues, bluegrass, whatever, and chase it. Lisa and I have totally different catalogs of the past and she shows me new old bands like the Cowboy Junkies, etc.
I just mix it up and keep it fresh. Then after awhile I enjoy going back and looking for some Clapton/Page/Plant/Rodgers solo efforts, or whatever I can find.

longknocker
12-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Deep Tracks on Sirius mixes things up a bit. I get to hear some stuff on there I haven't heard for years.
I've about burned out on "classic rock" stations, but commercial radio mainly. I listen to lots of odd stuff now. Lucinda Williams, Big Head Todd, Alison Krauss, White Stripes, Modest Mouse and some other new alternative bands that actually have talent and some "art" about them.
I just dig around and find old blues, bluegrass, whatever, and chase it. Lisa and I have totally different catalogs of the past and she shows me new old bands like the Cowboy Junkies, etc.
I just mix it up and keep it fresh. Then after awhile I enjoy going back and looking for some Clapton/Page/Plant/Rodgers solo efforts, or whatever I can find.

Clapton & Page Are The Only Ones I Recognize, Scott. Am I Old???:r

icehog3
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
:tu Long Live Buffett!:banger:D

I hope he lives to be 101!

I just want him to stop making music.

longknocker
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I hope he lives to be 101!

I just want him to stop making music.

I've Been To 2 Of His Concerts, Tom!:banger Ever Seen Him Live?

icehog3
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I've Been To 2 Of His Concerts, Tom!:banger Ever Seen Him Live?

Twice, My Brother. 1st wife was big fan.

Smokin Gator
12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I have listened to so much stuff over the years I can't list it all. Now about all I listen to (as anyone who has been here can attest) is the blues genre. I like the saying... the blues are the roots... everything else is the fruits.

Many of the afore mentioned bands can attribute their success to the blues.

pektel
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
What about delta blues? Some great stuff to come out of there as well...
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
hmmmmmmmm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg/150px-Lenin-1895-mugshot.jpg

and

http://www.senatormccarthy.com/images/mccarthy2.jpg

:tf:tf:r

Starscream
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I have listened to so much stuff over the years I can't list it all. Now about all I listen to (as anyone who has been here can attest) is the blues genre. I like the saying... the blues are the roots... everything else is the fruits.

Blues and early jazz.

MajorCaptSilly
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM

I saw Big Head Todd in '93. I was a fan before and a super-fan after. Very good stuff. I also find good, alternative stuff usually a couple years after they break up. Cage The Elephant and The Black Ryder are on heavy rotation for me lately.

MCS

SvilleKid
12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

How about Eva Cassidy, or Amos Lee? Ever listen to their stuff?

I see more "fresh" music in the blues and jazz categories than any other these days.

floydpink
12-13-2011, 12:56 PM
here are some depressing stats about today's music

CigarInspector
01-09-2012, 06:41 AM
I concur! Folks are always going on about how we wouldn’t have rock-n-roll without them, but what about the Rolling Stones? They were formed the same year as the Beatles and got a recording contract soon after. Having said all that, the true meaning of rock-n-roll is one man Iggy!!! The Stooges did it like no other and inspired generations to do their own thing and F U to the corporate hounds. Some debate that the MC5 were the true start of punk, but they only had ¼ of the attitude that the Stooges had! Now on tour Iggy has picked up bad ass Bassist Mike Watt from the Minutemen…would love to see them, but I think the crowd might be too much for me!

icehog3
01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
what about the Rolling Stones? They were formed the same year as the Beatles and got a recording contract soon after.

the true meaning of rock-n-roll is one man Iggy!!!

Ya had me and then ya lost me. :r

replicant_argent
01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Twice, My Brother. 1st wife was big fan.

What did the second and fifth wives listen to?

icehog3
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
What did the second and fifth wives listen to?

Me, sobbing uncontrollably, mostly.

replicant_argent
01-09-2012, 10:08 AM
That, sir, was the biggest laugh I have had all morning.

galaga
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Foreplay?????

;)

icehog3
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Foreplay?????

;)

I was never much for it....one, maybe two plays at most. ;)

jakesmokes
01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
From the article above there is a comment which, I think, explains it well:

The way people bought music was both costlier and less easy than it is today, with our a la carte, online music stores. The first world population was also much smaller and had we had lower expendable income. You're spinning this all wrong.

shark
01-12-2012, 05:09 PM

+1. IMO, it seemed like their music style began to mature around the "Help" album, with "Revolver" even more so. Sgt. Pepper's was and still is a masterpiece. Magical Mystery Tour, not so much. :2

shark
01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Much like FM radio was like back in the day. The pop stuff was on AM stations