PDA

View Full Version : College: transfer or stay?

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Ok so here goes. When i was discharged from the Army, i went back to school like i should have. I am currently going to Western Michigan University. My GPA for the current semester(my first since returning) is a 3.5(out of 4). Before all of this i did my freshmen year at WMU as well, Getting only a 2.55GPA. So i really couldnt get in anywhere else when i tried to go back to school.

Now that i have a good GPA, should i transfer to a better school or stay? I will have 57 credits total and 45 of them from Western.

I would like as much advice as possible as most of you are older then me and thus have some experience and wisdom. That i do not have.

Emjaysmash
12-04-2011, 03:11 PM
What are you going for? What school would you transfer to?

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I am pursuing a major in business management and political science. Current thoughts for transfer are in the poll

Mattso3000
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I think you should come freeze your a$$ off up here at the other UofM, Carlson School of Management is a very good business management college. Not sure on the Poli Sci program right now.

mkarnold1
12-04-2011, 03:18 PM
By "better school" do you mean more expensive, or that the bigger schools have a higher post graduation hire rate? I would do more research into what the actual benefits of transferring are.

Smokin Gator
12-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I would stay where you are. Your degree will open a door for you. What you do after that is up to you.

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
By "better school" do you mean more expensive, or that the bigger schools have a higher post graduation hire rate? I would do more research into what the actual benefits of transferring are.

Higher chances of post graduation employment and more opportunities within the school.

Sauer Grapes
12-04-2011, 03:35 PM
There are a ton of things to consider here...

Do you have a scholarship at your current school? How much more will you have to pay at a new school? Where do you want to work after graduation? (if alabama, then obviously UA is a logical choice). Are you wanting to go to grad school? etc...

Michigan is an incredible school, and it will open doors for you, but less debt is a huge advantage if not-transferring will be much cheaper. Of course, you may have the GI bill or Yellow Ribbon, so that may not be a huge consideration. If it is being paid for, I'd transfer if I could.

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Cost is not an issue. I receive 100% of the Post 9/11 Gi bill pays 100% of public university tuition and yellow ribbon is an option if needed.

Location, I would very much like to work in the south Great people, great weather. So I would assume going to a southern school would be a good start.

Bill86
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
While I personally don't have much experience with this at all.....I feel I'll toss my 2 cents in.

My brother recently graduated and he chose his school based on what his field wanted. Turns out they REALLY wanted people from his school, which is why he went there, so he got a job within 6 weeks or so of graduating. After getting the job he had 2-3 other offers. Couldn't have gone better for him.

FWIW

hotreds
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Really tough for someone to pick a school for you since there are so many variables. Research the quality of the management dept of the schools you are interested in- where and how quickly they place there graduates/reputation of business school, etc etc. If you want to go down South, why even list the 1st 4 schools in your poll?

Sauer Grapes
12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with Hugh. IMO, it's either between UA or Michigan. Michigan because they are the best school in your list, and UA because you want to work in the south.

I'd apply to both though. Michigan might be tough to get into, but I don't know much about transfer admissions.

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Really tough for someone to pick a school for you since there are so many variables. Research the quality of the management dept of the schools you are interested in- where and how quickly they place there graduates/reputation of business school, etc etc. If you want to go down South, why even list the 1st 4 schools in your poll?

because i just started my research and MSU and UofM have very very high ranked business schools.

shark
12-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I agree with you about a warmer climate, and traffic on campus at U of M (for example) can be a real PITA, 7 days a week.

kelmac07
12-04-2011, 04:00 PM
You're doing well where you are at...don't fix it it ain't broke!! :2

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
my school is ranked like ~180. the others that im pretty sure ill get accepted to are ~80 or better in national ranking.

pnoon
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
my school is ranked like ~180. the others that im pretty sure ill get accepted to are ~80 or better in national ranking.
"pretty sure you'll be accepted to" is a stretch, IMO. There are no sure things.
The number of applicants to open spots is usually huge. Just having adequate grades/GPA is not nearly enough to ensure you'll be accepted.

It is a non-issue until you have been accepted at the schools in question.
Until then, the only question should be stay or transfer somewhere.

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 04:12 PM
very true peter, what do you recommend? Should i try to transfer to a better school?

montecristo#2
12-04-2011, 04:24 PM
One thing you might want to double check, I know the GI Bill covers up to 100% of tuition equivalent to that of a public institution in that state, but in order to get in state tuition, you might have some residency requirements that could differ from state to state.

So if you are currently a resident of Michigan and want to go to Alabama, you might want to confirm your GI Bill funds will cover everything. If you do not qualify for in state tuition, that could help you make your decision.

Now in terms of transferring, I know when I look at job candidates, education is a big part of it. Now it may not matter for all jobs, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have graduated from a top university in the country. If it is something you are interested in, I would apply and if you get in, then you have to make the tough decision.

Also, I have no idea if it is more expensive to live near WMU versus UoM versus UoA - but I would definitely consider the quality of life. I know where I went to school rent was through the roof, so I racked up a lot of debt outside of tuition when I was in college.

Taki
12-04-2011, 04:46 PM
You're doing well where you are at...don't fix it it ain't broke!! :2

Well said MAC!!! :tu

longknocker
12-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I Vote UA, Of Course! :banger Good Business School & Warmer!:tu

GreekGodX
12-04-2011, 05:02 PM
A big plus to larger, highly ranked Universities is alumni connections. If you do well, alumni will look to help their own before they take others. The key is networking, keep a good gpa and get involved. I would go to University of Michigan. Although if you want to go to their grad school you should go somewhere else. They don't take as many of their own into their graduate programs.

As far as wanting to work in the south, doing good at U of M will give you a good chance of getting a job anywhere :2

Devanmc
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
A big plus to larger, highly ranked Universities is alumni connections. If you do well, alumni will look to help their own before they take others. The key is networking, keep a good gpa and get involved. I would go to University of Michigan. Although if you want to go to their grad school you should go somewhere else. They don't take as many of their own into their graduate programs.

As far as wanting to work in the south, doing good at U of M will give you a good chance of getting a job anywhere :2

no masters yet for me. just want my 2 BA degree's and go back to what is called the real world :r

macsauce13
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
If I were you, I'd stay put. Especially at the Undergrad level, schools out of the top 20 or so won't give you any real advantage job wise. Unless you are just dead set on moving, I'd say you are thinking too much into the ranking, which in reality, doesn't matter very much.

Good luck either way, and I'm sure you will make the right decision.

spectrrr
12-04-2011, 10:27 PM
DISCLAIMER: I've always tended towards entrepreneurial business and bucking the establishment in the name of a chance and a good idea. My advice as you will see is liberally flavored with these ideals. If you're looking for advice on how to become a corporate cube drone, take anything i say with a heaping tablespoon of sea salt. These are the "other" things i would consider when choosing where I went to school and what I was doing at that school, where I in that position again. I have ignored some of the skills that school's already pound into your head in favor of some of the less talked about ones that I've observed to be important from my own experience and relating to my own goals in life. As always, it's solely my :2

I majored in Intl. Business and went to a very expensive school. For a variety of personal reasons, it was the "right" place for me to be at the time and I don't regret it, I would do it again... BUT I sure as hell wouldn't recommend someone else do the same thing.... ESPECIALLY with the crippling debt that it brings. (what a scam that is on our nation's youth, but that's a rant for another day).

IMO Devan, what it comes down to is this. Alumni connections and top rankings do count for something, as does the boost it gives you for getting into some grad schools. BUT in real world business, IMO, if you already are staying focused and getting good grades, the actions and networking you make outside of the classroom and the impression you give in an interview count for much much more than where you went to school.

* Networking. Make connections NOW. Develop those connections. Rinse and repeat. This cannot be emphasized enough.
Burn no brides behind you, and build new bridges, even if it doesn't seem like they're going anywhere... you never know what bridge you're going to find yourself unexpectedly taking in the future. Your ability to connect with people on many different levels will be crucial to success in any field, and is rarely learned in a classroom.

* GOLF: Do you know how to golf? LEARN. I'm not kidding! Doesn't mean you have to be any good, and you don't have to like it, but you should learn the rules and good manners associated with the course while hitting the ball semi-straight for a few feet. It's amazing the informal networking that can happen effortlessly over golf and cigars. (and no, it won't ALWAYS happen that way, but it's a damned useful arrow to have in your quiver).

* POLITICS & EMPATHY: office or otherwise. If you're managing a team, running a company, working under a manager, or trying to go into politics, one skill set always is needed - the ability to manage people individually. Humility and empathy are the words of the day here. Being able to successfully empathize with and find ways to get results from other people under your command who may not think or act even a little bit like you. This is the meat and potatoes of the ART of business management. They can tell you this exists in a classroom, but you'll learn most of it outside of the classroom. This is also the foundation of any manager. If you can't positively "connect" with your team (ALL of your team) and get them to get the job done, then your days will be numbered. :)

* Achievements (and I don't mean president of the yearbook type stuff, although it can't hurt). Are you a one trick pony?
I grew up in a small family business, learning it from the inside out BEFORE I went to college. One thing I learned quickly - although plenty of my classmates got excellent grades, I wouldn't dream of hiring 2/3 of them to work for me. Why? The age old difference between classroom work and REAL WORLD work. You've got the grades to prove you know the classroom material, so now your focus should be on finding ways to prove you ALSO got it in the real world of business /or/ management. Find something(s) to organize, lead, and manage. Finding ways to demonstrate your people skills is CRITICAL, AS IS continuing to hone and refine those skills.

* CULTURE & VARIETY: Identify the parts of your life that you have little knowledge or experience in and make the conscious effort to learn a little more about them. Never listened to 60's music and don't like it? take one night, 4 hours, read a little about the major players and listen a little to the music. Don't know what order to use the forks and glasses in at a table set for a 5 course meal? Take 15 minutes to look it up on youtube and practice. Born in the city? Make friends with a hillbilly and learn how to muck a stall. Born in the country? Make friends with a city slicker and learn how to navigate a downtown dinner club. Pick a "womanly" skill you don't know and spend an hour learning the basics. In a nutshell, eliminate areas of ignorance.

The list could go on and on and on, but I'll stop here. Generally speaking, The four skill sets I would look for in hiring someone would be a proven track record of reliability & "getting the job done", ability to empathize and gain people's trust, Innovation and flexibility to quickly learn new things, and being able to easily transition between between different people, cultures, environments and situations.

Although you will never find yourself in a job that requires you to use ALL of your skills at the same time, having a wide variety of skills available to you will allow you to effortlessly ride the changing economic tides in life, deftly moving from around within a company or on to other employment when the geography or economics demand it. If you are a one trick or one specialty pony, then you'd damned well better hope your pony stays reallllllllly healthy ;) :2

(damn that was a long ramble... hopefully you find something useful in there... thanks for giving me an excuse to procrastinate a few minutes on finishing up tonight's work! :tg)

bvilchez
12-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Devan, something I have not seen yet mentioned is transferring of classes. Based on what your major is you already know what classes you have to take. When transferring schools that are regionally accredited many of them do NOT transfer over the same classes needed for your major. This to me would play a factor because it can mean anywhere from a semester to an extra year's worth of classes to have to take over.

Everyone here has given you good advice. IMO I would suggest you stay where you're at presently and do a move afterward if your heart still so desires. Just focus on this one task, finishing school, and then move on to the next big hurdle. Not saying you can't multitask but focus on the present or else there will be no future. :2

billybarue
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Michigan, without question!

Your first job out of school will most likely give you an idea of what you probably don't want to do for the rest of your life. If that is not the case for you, fantastic! But for many it means back to Grad School, with an eye on more of what you might want to do. If that happens you want the strongest academic record from the most powerful institution on your resume - and that means Michigan (Plus a strong work resume post undergrad). Oh, BTW, Michigan is perennially top 10-20 in a whole host of grad programs. Most notably their Law school. Poli Sci and business are pretty good lead in Undergrad programs for Law.

It sounds like you separated completely from military service. If not you might consider banking that GI bill for Grad School. If you are still in the Guard (or want to get back into the Guard) most states will pay undergrad tuition at any state school for any guardsman in good standing. Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, Texas come to my. I would bet Michigan does the same.

You'll be done before you know it. Good luck. When you turn around I think you will be pleased at being a Michigan grad and the opportunities you will be presented with.

YankeeMan
12-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm a Department Chair at a community college and a student advisor. What you have to look at is the time you have invested, the number of credit hours that will transfer and the strength of your major at WMU. If it is a strong major and you are bringing up your GPA, I would stay there, maximize my time and look to earn an MBA when you are finished.

Good luck and thank you for serving!