PDA

View Full Version : Newbie recommendations

SpruceBruce
12-01-2011, 09:58 PM
So I'm heading over to my local B&M tomorrow as they're running a 20% off build your own box deal. Is there any "YOU MUST TRY THIS NOW" recommendations that you guys have?

I seem to be in the medium to (sometimes) full body flavor profile, although I've only been smoking for about 2 months. So far my memorable smokes have been:
* Famous Nic 3000
* CAO Gold
* CAO CX2
* RP Cuban Blend Maduro & Natural
* and by far my favorite has to be the Cubao No. 5

My short list:
AF Short Story (been really wanting to try these)
CAO Cameroon
CAO America (these look so nice)
Maybe some My Father stuff
Tatuaje something
Gurkha something

Really interested in the last two, but know almost nothing about the brands. Anyone have suggestions for this newbie?

never_enough
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Definitely pick up a short story or 5. Try an Undercrown too. There are tons to try, thats part of the fun I'm learning. I had a Viaje Platino Lancero that I really enjoyed.

I suggest reading through the reviews. That should help you make up your mind.

Full disclosure, I'm a newb too. :r

Just try everything you can get your hands on.

Emjaysmash
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I would add Padron Londres Maduro and Padron 2000 Maduro on to that short list. Also, El Triunfidor, and Cabaiguan.

SpruceBruce
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I would add Padron Londres Maduro and Padron 2000 Maduro on to that short list. Also, El Triunfidor, and Cabaiguan.
Heh, I've never even heard of the last two! MORE RESEARCH!:cf2

DaBear
12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Fair warning on the Americas: they may look pretty but they're an underwhelming cigar IMO, most reviews I've read have corresponded with me so I know I'm not just being an odd ball

That said, add a Padron or two to the list(bonus points for the 64 anny maduros), a Perdomo or two, and a Punch or two(great cigars for not much).

Emjaysmash
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Both are made by Tatuaje, and I would say have some similarities with the Cubao

BlkDrew
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
I rocky Patel Edge.

SpruceBruce
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Fair warning on the Americas: they may look pretty but they're an underwhelming cigar IMO, most reviews I've read have corresponded with me so I know I'm not just being an odd ball

I've noticed that sentiment here - still going to give them a shot, but I probably won't buy many of them now.

That said, add a Padron or two to the list(bonus points for the 64 anny maduros), a Perdomo or two, and a Punch or two(great cigars for not much).
I don't feel I have the palate to appreciate the higher end Padron's yet - even though they look/sound so amazing.

SpruceBruce
12-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Both are made by Tatuaje, and I would say have some similarities with the Cubao

You have my attention!

kingcobradude
12-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Im a noob too. and the ghurkha seduction I had as wonderful. punch are good, padrons are wonderful. have a short story in my humi now awaiting taste testing

schollianmj
12-02-2011, 06:15 AM
what i do is talk with the B&M owner and tell him sticks i have likes, and some that I didnt. then how many sticks I want to buy or how much money Im willing to spend, and he hooks me up with a random selection. I am going to guess that I have tried about 100 different sticks adn am still testing the waters. so far my fav is the 601 blue lable or PDR 1867 blue. I always keep a couplle of each of these in my humi, but there is no telling what else you willl find in there.

coty
12-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Ok the oliva g & v, and the drew estates joya de nic...

CigarSquid
12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Try them all... It is so hard.. remember to keep track of them, your own review so you know. When people compare them, you can try those and see..

I have a cooler full of ones I have never tried. So exciting when I get to smoke one.. even if I like it or not..

There are just so much out there to give some recommendations.. Have fun!!

I have only been at this for a year now.

kelmac07
12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
601 Blues :dr :dr :dr

Blak Smyth
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I overlooked the Oliva Gs when I first started smoking due to the Vs being so talked about. You newbs don't forget about the Gs, they are tasty!

Mattso3000
12-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Yep.

Doctorossi
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
My recommendation would be to buy individual brands/blends only in very minimal (ie. one or two sticks) quantities, so that you can maximize the breadth of your selection. You'll be glad later, when that one you were 50/50 on catches you by delicious surprise and when the one that looked so fantastic disappoints you and you realize that you've escaped the burden of a whole box of them.

Be careful not to write off an entire line on your experience with a single size or wrapper type. If the flavor is completely wrong for you or the performance is poor, that's one thing, but you might be surprised at how many brands feature a size that's just so-so, right next to a not-that-different size that's spectacular. Seemingly subtle distinctions can mean the world.

When you do put together a short-list of favorites from your shotgun explorations, you can try different sizes and wrappers within those brands to really wrap your mind around the blends and hone in on your favorites.

irratebass
12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
So I'm heading over to my local B&M tomorrow as they're running a 20% off build your own box deal. Is there any "YOU MUST TRY THIS NOW" recommendations that you guys have?

AF Short Story (been really wanting to try these)
Maybe some My Father stuff
Tatuaje something
Gurkha something

Really interested in the last two, but know almost nothing about the brands. Anyone have suggestions for this newbie?

I would def go with these......Gurkha's can be hit or miss, but I really liked the one with the red label (sorry I don't know the name of it) it almost looks like it's on fire, it might be the classic, I would avoid the European Selection, it bored me to tears, but again try what you want, sample all you can.

what i do is talk with the B&M owner and tell him sticks i have likes, and some that I didnt. then how many sticks I want to buy or how much money Im willing to spend, and he hooks me up with a random selection. I am going to guess that I have tried about 100 different sticks adn am still testing the waters. so far my fav is the 601 blue lable or PDR 1867 blue. I always keep a couplle of each of these in my humi, but there is no telling what else you willl find in there.

This is fantastic advice as long as the owner or employee will take the time to help you, and yes keep a log of what you have smoked it really helps, I have a notebook and just jot down notes or if I would buy again.

I concur.....very very good stick

MurphysLaw
12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
If the Cubao was your favorite by far, push the My Father, DPG, Tatuaje, 601 stuff to the top of your list. They're all DPG blends. The Tatuaje La Riqueza is another great blend that I'd recommend.

Doctorossi
12-02-2011, 08:31 AM
If the Cubao was your favorite by far, push the My Father, DPG, Tatuaje, 601 stuff to the top of your list. They're all DPG blends. The Tatuaje La Riqueza is another great blend that I'd recommend.

:tpd:

irratebass
12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I overlooked the Oliva Gs when I first started smoking due to the Vs being so talked about. You newbs don't forget about the Gs, they are tasty!

I have only had the V, been wanting to try the others.....:hm I think I do have an O in my humi though.

DaBear
12-02-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't feel I have the palate to appreciate the higher end Padron's yet - even though they look/sound so amazing.

You don't have to have a great palate to appreciate any smoke, especially those 64 anny maduros. That was either my second or third cigar ever and instantly became my favorite. Nowadays its dropped back to second in my top 5, but its a very close second. You'll appreciate it more down the road yes, but that doesn't mean you should avoid it altogether for the time being. A great cigar is a great cigar, regardless of how experienced your palate is. :2

DaBear
12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I have only had the V, been wanting to try the others.....:hm I think I do have an O in my humi though.

The O naturals are like a little cinnamon bomb(or at least thats what I remember mine being). :dr

irratebass
12-02-2011, 09:58 AM

The O naturals are like a little cinnamon bomb(or at least thats what I remember mine being). :dr

Interesting...:tu

LigaPrivadaT84
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I would recommend the following:
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
Liga Privada T52
Oliva Serie V
Padron x000
:tu

SpruceBruce
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Awesome advice guys! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve - can't wait to go shopping! :noon:noon:noon

schollianmj
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
yea.. about that... I read one of these threads a month ago or so and made a list... ended up dropping about 120 in the B&M... granted he gave me a coupe free sticks since Im always in there and I rarely walk out with out dropping at least 50.... So be careful!! :)

Carmack
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
As a fellow newbie, I'd recommend My Father Le Bijou. It was the first cigar I could detect specific favors beyond sweet or spicy.

SpruceBruce
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
yea.. about that... I read one of these threads a month ago or so and made a list... ended up dropping about 120 in the B&M... granted he gave me a coupe free sticks since Im always in there and I rarely walk out with out dropping at least 50.... So be careful!! :)

Honestly, I'd be happy with 120. I have a feeling it's going to be an expensive afternoon.

NCRadioMan
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Forget lists. Start at one end of a shelf in you local b&m and work your way around the humidor, trying everything.

:2

Blak Smyth
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM
As a fellow newbie, I'd recommend My Father Le Bijou. It was the first cigar I could detect specific favors beyond sweet or spicy.

I had one this last week, amazing cigar! Instant top ten for me!

irratebass
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Forget lists. Start at one end of a shelf in you local b&m and work your way around the humidor, trying everything.

:2

I have seriously thought about doing this.

Boz
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I would recommend the following:
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
Liga Privada T52
Oliva Serie V, O, and G
Padron x000 maduro
:tu

This is a good list. My updates in red.

BeerAdvocate
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
You cant beat "Brickhouse" for the price. Around $5 for the Robusto!
Awsome cigar and one of my all time favorites

irratebass
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
You cant beat "Brickhouse" for the price. Around $5 for the Robusto!
Awsome cigar and one of my all time favorites

Agreed Travis, this is on my "must have box" list whenever I get $$

gator_79
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I'll add:
AF 8-5-8 Maduro
Kristoff Maduro
AF Hemmingway

SpruceBruce
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Agreed Travis, this is on my "must have box" list whenever I get $$

Had one of these the other day, I'll definitely be buying more!

SpruceBruce
12-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, here's what I ended up getting. They had some Olivia reps there, so I got a free Nub Connecticut for buying 5 Nub/Cain/Olivia sticks, and then I won 2 more of them in a drawing they had. :noon

One of the Short Stories didn't make it out of the store :D Damn fine little smoke.

1:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/SpruceBruce/fda9b11d.jpg

2:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/SpruceBruce/15c82884.jpg

3:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/SpruceBruce/87f22ccb.jpg

mkarnold1
12-02-2011, 10:40 PM
:dr Nice selection there! Oliva V Beli and MF Le Bijou are two of my favorites.

Jefft72
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
That is a damn fine haul! So many to sample, but those should keep you busy for some time.

You should check out the newbie trade thread also. I am almost ready to participate in it myself.

kelmac07
12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
What, no 601 Blues? :ss

SpruceBruce
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
You should check out the newbie trade thread also. I am almost ready to participate in it myself.

Just starting my first trade in the NST ;)

SpruceBruce
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
What, no 601 Blues? :ss

They didn't have any, for whatever reason.

Mattso3000
12-03-2011, 02:21 PM
They didn't have any, for whatever reason.

Looks like your trading with Mac...I'm sure he'll fix that:lr

Marlon K
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
A good starter is a LFD Digger LMAO:sl

coty
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Just my:2 but these are a few I recommend in the b&m I work in and why.

1.Drew Estates "Isla Del Sol" Churchill, First it's a sweet tip with a rich coffee flavored smoke. The "Del Sols" tend to be well constructed and very "giftable."
The flavor for the cigar is however different than most of it's cohorts that dwel in the humidor with it.

2.Rockey Patel "Vintage 1999 Connecticut" This is my beginner recommendation because of the very creamy draw that it produces, time after reliable time, for me, I can count on this to be a medium bodied Connecticut everytime. Also (in my opinion) one of the better Connecticutsw that I have had.

3. Don Pepin Garcia "Blue Label" This one goes in my top 5 for a beginner because of the "Pepin Pepper" his blend constanly exert. The Lancero is my personal favorite, easy to sip with a medium body and medium spice (if sipped). It cast a different shadow that needs to be experienced by any new smoker.

4. Carlos Toranos "Exodus 1959" This gar hits in a way that is different than the other 4 here. The body and spice are still medium for me in the box-press torpedo version, but the blends flavor is fantastic. My review in my Kryos is over a page long and thats just my personal journal. I can only say try it and see what I mean.

5. La Flor Dominicana "Air Bender" Chisel point~ this guy rounds up my top five. The shape is something new that may be enjoyable but the good stuffs on the inside. The air bender gives off some leather and cedar mixture that makes me smile; but with fire it gives off a leather, cedar, pepper trio that when paired with 70 degree weather, and an ice cold, whiskey married with it's partner in crime "Coke" makes a day rival Christmas!

All of these gars have different loveable or loathable qualites that are good platforms to launch your cigar love or hate from. Key things to keep in mind are: that whats good for me may not be for you, however that doesn't make anything bad it just makes it "not for you." and smoke smoke and smoke everything you can get your hands on so you can experience one of the finest things in life.

coty
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
And btw your going to love the sMACage from Mac you can tell he puts thought into his trades!

SpruceBruce
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
So I had my first 3 cigar evening at the local B&M the other night, I had:

Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto - Was a little disappointed in this one after all of the hype. Thought it was ok, but not anything special.

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto - WOW. This was amazing - very smooth and rich. Great freaking smoke - will be buying more of these for sure.

Oliva Serie V Belicoso - I was a little hesitant to fire this up after already having 2 sticks (and more than a few drinks), but I was very glad I did. Another new favorite!