PDA

View Full Version : For all you *stock* Glock owners...

Silound
11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
*crickets*

Maybe I'm in the wrong place?

Anyway, question at hand is this: Has anyone ever worn out, chewed up, or otherwise damaged a recoil guide rod on a Glock pistol? The only reason I ask is that I seem to have chewed off the "nail head" on my guide rod...completely! The spring falls right off the end of the rod. I understand this is not unusual for an old spring and rod assembly, but this one has seen less than 3,000 rounds fired since the last spring change.

It worried me for a minute, but neither I nor my gunsmith can find anything it can catch on in that area, and it slides cleanly and quietly, so it boils down to just regular wear as best we can tell. His rod didn't show any signs of abuse after 24 rounds, so....:confused:

macsauce13
11-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Did you check the AC delternator-alternator? Thats what i'd do...

elderboy02
11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I have never had problems with my G23 (.40 S&W). I would call Glock in Smyrna, GA and see what they have to say.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_contact.htm

Vic81
11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
I've had my 27 (40cal) for over 10 years and never had a problem with it. But if I did, I would take it to the factory which is just around the corner. Have you talked to anyone at Glock?

sikk50
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
I have two glocks bc I know I can treat them like a $.02 whore and they'll still shoot straight everytime. You may have a deeper problem

longknocker
12-01-2011, 03:13 AM
New Glock Owner, Here, With A 4th Gen. Model 22. No Problems After 500 Rounds. Like Others Said, Call Glock & GL. Keep Us Informed!:tu

Silound
12-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I called yesterday during lunch.

They confirmed that there is nothing in that area of the pistol that can damage that recoil rod except the recoil of the gun firing, and that chipping of the "nail head" was most commonly associated to heavy use wear, and part of why they recommend replacement every 2,000-5,000 rounds (depending on the model). Especially on larger calibers where the recoil trap is more violent. Did I mention this particular gun is a 2nd Gen 21? :)

Also, I asked about the after market rods (metal ones) while I was talking to the guy, and I was advised that the stainless aftermarket rods, while to spec, could possibly shorten the lifetime of the gun. Apparently the polymer rods are designed to flex and soften some of the recoil force on the working parts of the gun, whereas the metal rods don't do that. Is it BS? I don't know, but it seems plausible in theory though.

At any rate, they were very helpful about the deal, and even offered to tell me all the local authorized Glock dealers in my area who could order parts for me. New rods should arrive today in the mail, so I'll be right as rain by tomorrow.

elderboy02
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Very cool! I knew Glock would take care of you. They are a stand up company :tu

replicant_argent
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I had one lock up on my early second gen G17 (bought about 20 years ago) after about 3 or 4 thousand rounds. That was probably over 12 years ago. I happened to run by a local gun store with a Glock rep showing off new pistols at the time, he tossed me a new one for free and I haven't had a problem with a couple thousand more rounds down the pipe since. I can't speak for any newer gen versions or the aftermarket rods, but mine is pretty much bone stock except for the front sight. If the tool ain't broke...

edit: Many of the first few K rounds through mine were reloads, and a good percentage of them were fairly hot.

bonjing
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
We've broken a few, but it comes from normal wear and tear.