PDA

View Full Version : Cohiba from the DR. Are these fake?

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
So my buddies went to the DR last week. I told them to bring me back gifts. And well, they did. Even though it wasn't expected.

He brought me back a little 10ct box of Cohibas. They say Republica Dominicana on the band below the Cohiba part. I've read some stuff online about the Cohibas that are only allowed to be sold in the DR cuz of General Cigar lawsuits and bla bla bla. So maybe they could be the legit ones that are only sold in the DR. Now what makes me think they are fake...

-They're very soft and have not consistently filled.
-The box and label look like crap.
-The cellophane is very thin and not like the cellophane on other cigars.

Here are some pics. You guys be the judge. I just got these so I haven't smoked one. They are very soft so I don't know if they're too "wet" or what. I'm gonna leave them out for a few days then I'll light one up and test it.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/DroppedmyS10/IMG_2225.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/DroppedmyS10/IMG_2226.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/DroppedmyS10/IMG_2228.jpg

hammondc
11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Fun stuff.

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
:r

Now I'm no pro when it comes to Cohibas, cuz I don't smoke these things.

But isn't the face supposed to be facing the other direction?

hammondc
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I enjoy the 1/4, 1/3 and 3/4 dots on the bands.

BUT....it does say 'premium' on the bands

DPD6030
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
This is a joke right? :lr

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:50 PM
This is a joke right? :lr

How would this be a joke? Who am I trying to play a trick on?

markem
11-26-2011, 09:51 PM
There is a legit NC Cohiba brand. They are often called Cohiba Red Dots. These look way, way below the standards of the NC marca and they certainly aren't even pretending to be the Cuban ones.

Bill86
11-26-2011, 09:52 PM
How would this be a joke? Who am I trying to play a trick on?

The trick was played on you me thinks.

They aren't Cubans if that's what you're asking.

Oh and the obvious, I would NOT smoke those.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-26-2011, 09:53 PM
HMm..

http://i42.tinypic.com/n2j3mc.jpg

Basically yeah people are saying they are.

None the less

http://i40.tinypic.com/oax8ua.jpg

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:54 PM
There is a legit NC Cohiba brand. They are often called Cohiba Red Dots. These look way, way below the standards of the NC marca and they certainly aren't even pretending to be the Cuban ones.

Yeah. I knew from the get go these couldn't be real. I told my buddy to bring me back a cigar from the DR. Not sure why you would make fake DR cigars.

I don't blame my friend, he doesn't know anything about cigars. I'll just tell him I smoked them all or something after some time. He doesn't smoke so it's not like he'll ask to smoke one with me.

DPD6030
11-26-2011, 09:54 PM

:tpd: That was the joke. Sorry to come off as an ass. Basically the non-cubans are red dot cohibas. These are packaged to represent real Cubans but definitely are not.

Now are they real Dominican cigars...who knows. They look terrible but may smoke good. :sh

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:55 PM

Where did I ask if these were fake Cubans? I'm not dumb, it says Republica Dominicana on the band. I'm asking if they're fake DR Cohibas.

Bill86
11-26-2011, 09:56 PM
DR Red dot Cohibas (what they should look like)

http://www.bestcigarprices.com/shopcontent/images/cohiba_red_dot_corona.jpg

http://www.bluelinecigars.com/images/cohiba%20red%20dot.png

http://www.thesmokincigarshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wpid-cohiba-black-cigars.jpg

MurphysLaw
11-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Just for grins, you should dissect one to see what's inside :D

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Was thinking about it.

Bill86
11-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Some things are not meant to be seen :D

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think I've ever had a Cohiba.

When my buddies went to DR I wasn't expecting them to get me a Cuban or a DR cigar. I ended up getting DR made cigars but they look like crap. So I thought I'd show ya guys and get your thoughts.

DPD6030
11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
You might be surprised. I had a fake one and it was aromatic pipe tobacco for the filler wrapped in a banana leaf.

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Well I'm not gonna tell my friend. I'll just tell him I smoked them over time and I enjoyed them.

It was the thought that count, no point being rude to him.

Bill86
11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
It's best to ask friends if they do buy you cigars to get them from a La Casa Del Habano shop. There are A LOT of fake cigars is certain countries.

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
It's best to ask friends if they do buy you cigars to get them from a La Casa Del Habano shop. There are A LOT of fake cigars is certain countries.

Yeah, if I were to buy Cuban. But I didn't ask him to get me Cubans or anything. I told him to find me a DR made cigar since they'll be in DR. Didn't expect to have fake made DR cigars.

Sauer Grapes
11-26-2011, 10:04 PM
There were Domican Cohiba that used a band similar to that and they were sold in the US... Those are not them though.

Drez
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
i will pay you for the box!!!!!!!!!!!! :r:r:r:r:r

thechrisdotcom
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
i will pay you for the box!!!!!!!!!!!! :r:r:r:r:r

haha, you can have it.

Remo
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
haha, you can have it.

Send it to me first and i'll ship it to Frank :tu

Drez
11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
haha, you can have it.

i will frame that lid!!! shows the fine time honored craftsmanship of the cohibo brand :r

Send it to me first and i'll ship it to Frank :tu

shut it mike

lenguamor
11-26-2011, 10:28 PM
That brings up a question that I hadn't even thought of until now...are Cuban cigars legal in the DR?

loki
11-26-2011, 10:45 PM
That brings up a question that I hadn't even thought of until now...are Cuban cigars legal in the DR?

why wouldn't they be, not for us citizens to buy but that's another matter entirely.

bobarian
11-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Its amazing the amount of misinformation in this thread. The OP is 100% correct. The Dominican Cohiba's pictured are indeed limited to the DR. They are not allowed to be exported to the US due to copyright infringement. But, THEY ARE NOT FAKES! They are exactly what they proclaim to be Dominican produced Cohibas. These were exported in large quantities before the copyright case was litigated in the US courts. http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/copyright-trademarklaw/blogs/copyrightandtrademarklawblog/archive/2010/09/13/shilpa-v-patel-of-mcdermott-will-amp-emery-on-the-2nd-circuit-s-cohiba-cigar-mark-case.aspx

Since 2006 the "Cohiba" trademark has been owned by General Cigar. General Cigar has since been purchased by Swedish Match. They also own the rights to several other previously "Cuban" trademarks such as, Ramon Allones, Bolivar and Cifuentes. I just sent a box of these pre-2006 Cohibas to Hugh(hotreds), perhaps he can post a picture.

There is not an LCDH in the Dominican Republic, nor are Cuban cigars generally available. But neither are Fuentes or most of the other Dominican rolled cigars made for US consumption, cigars are moved to a Duty Free zone and strictly regulated for export only.

The older DR Cohiba's were a mild cigar but certainly smokeable. After a few weeks rest I would not hesitate to light these up. Many fine cigars still are produced in the Dominican Republic although none use Cuban tobacco. :2

T.G
11-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Fake? No. They are exactly what they claim to be... Domincan Cohibas.

There used to be two NC Cohibas. The General Cigar "red dot" and another that had a band similar to the Cuban band although the most easily identifiable difference being that it read "Republica Dominica" at the bottom. The yellow-band DR Cohibas were shut down, at least in this country, by a lawsuit by General (which they won) a few years back. According to a friend in the industry, the yellow-bands are still being produced by Monti Cristi (?spelling?), but are not for export off the island. What you have there, the cigars anyway, not necessarily the packaging though, looks to my recollection to be very similar, if not identical, to the old pre-lawsuit yellow-band DR Cohibas that were at one time sold here.

Skywalker
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM
They make good fertilizer! Right Bob???:r

T.G
11-26-2011, 11:26 PM
:lr:lr:lr

bobarian
11-27-2011, 01:35 AM
They make good fertilizer! Right Bob???:r

:hy

thechrisdotcom
11-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Its amazing the amount of misinformation in this thread. The OP is 100% correct. The Dominican Cohiba's pictured are indeed limited to the DR. They are not allowed to be exported to the US due to copyright infringement. But, THEY ARE NOT FAKES! They are exactly what they proclaim to be Dominican produced Cohibas. These were exported in large quantities before the copyright case was litigated in the US courts. http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/copyright-trademarklaw/blogs/copyrightandtrademarklawblog/archive/2010/09/13/shilpa-v-patel-of-mcdermott-will-amp-emery-on-the-2nd-circuit-s-cohiba-cigar-mark-case.aspx

Since 2006 the "Cohiba" trademark has been owned by General Cigar. General Cigar has since been purchased by Swedish Match. They also own the rights to several other previously "Cuban" trademarks such as, Ramon Allones, Bolivar and Cifuentes. I just sent a box of these pre-2006 Cohibas to Hugh(hotreds), perhaps he can post a picture.

There is not an LCDH in the Dominican Republic, nor are Cuban cigars generally available. But neither are Fuentes or most of the other Dominican rolled cigars made for US consumption, cigars are moved to a Duty Free zone and strictly regulated for export only.

The older DR Cohiba's were a mild cigar but certainly smokeable. After a few weeks rest I would not hesitate to light these up. Many fine cigars still are produced in the Dominican Republic although none use Cuban tobacco. :2
Yeah, I read some stuff about that.

The only thing that got me was the poorly made box with the Cohiba face facing the wrong direction and the poorly constructed cigar. It felt soft and not fulled packed well. It has a few softer spots in areas.

ckay
11-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I would not smoke that thing even with the promise of a Family Reserve 45 or Siglo VI upon completion.

MurphysLaw
11-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Here's a pic of a yellow band DR Cohiba I have in my edgestar, this was gifted to me so I can't comment on what the box looked like, but the band is very different the gold letters are raised on mine, and the cigar is evenly filled and looks to be good construction.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/Brian32FSU/ee0a7b18.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/Brian32FSU/77bfa5bc.jpg

shilala
11-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, they're Dominican Cohibas.
They make cigars all over Dominican. You can get someone to roll you one pretty much anywhere. I have a couple I got in Punta Cana and have seen the ones you got in gift shops.
That said, they are what they are. I smoked a couple Dominican home-rolleds while I was there and they were okay. They were super wet, but they're supposed to be super wet when you just rolled them.
My suggeston is that you smoke one right away so you get that same soggy experience. It's fun. Then set them back and try them again later. They might be good, maybe not.

They don't really mean any harm down there in using the "big names". They use them jokingly. I saw 100 Walmarts that were junk stores. Right next to our resort was a string of shacks that ran from Walmart to Macy's to Kmart, etc. Each shop used a different "big store name". It was just meant to display a sense of humor.
I think that's exactly what you're looking at here. :tu

the nub
11-27-2011, 08:46 AM
:r

Now I'm no pro when it comes to Cohibas, cuz I don't smoke these things.

But isn't the face supposed to be facing the other direction?

actually, in this case the face should be facing down and there should be a picture of a toilet also since you'll probably be heaving a few after smoking these.

Blak Smyth
11-27-2011, 11:42 AM
I saw some DR cohibas in California this last week. The did not have the red dot label, they had a label that looked the same as the CCs but it said DR at the bottom of the label. They where very nicely constructed visually and everything seemed well made, even the box.

The pics that Murphy's law posted are the same as what I saw.

chaase321
11-28-2011, 08:48 AM

:tu +1 That's where I send all my gift giving buddies!

goomer
12-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Back in the 90's the DR Cohibas, that are now illegal due to the copyright issue, were often rated above the red dot Cohibas. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you got one of those. Age them for awhile and try one. You probably got junk but you never know unless you try a few puffs.