PDA

View Full Version : Strength as a function of time?

ApexAZ
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
I just finished a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. Flavor-wise, I liked it, however it was a little on the strong side for me. Very peppery with what I assume is a high nicotine content. You almost feel your tongue go numb and you feel your stomach start to feel heavy.

So I'm wondering, if I buy some of these and let them sit for a year, will the strength diminish over time to give me a milder smoke? I've read that aging maduros doesn't have as much impact since the leaves are already fermented for longer.

Thoughts?

DaBear
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Some will argue it can, others not. Generally there are very few sticks I will age. From experience with others there's a right and a wrong age for everything. For example, I like my Padron 64 Annys fresh where they seem a little more powerful and flavorful, but I like Anejos with a little bit of age on em as the fresh ones a bit too rough around the edges flavorwise and notice no difference strength wise.

tl;dr I'd say it varies by the stick, but generally I notice strength subsiding with age.

LigaPrivadaT84
11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
I was under the impression that the 5 Vegas Gold line were mild?
:confused:

My thoughts:
Strength is subjective and based on many variables; I can handle an LFD DL after a nice steak, but would run away from the same cigar in the morning.

Additionally. I suggest you stay away from La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero and Joya de Nicaragua.
:tu

Bax
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
It's been my experience that age will cut down the strength of a cigar but it may or may not improve the taste. If you find a cigar that you like the taste of but it's just a little too strong for you then age them and see if you like them. If you don't like it in the first place then aging may not help you.

Drez
11-16-2011, 06:57 PM
It's been my experience that age will cut down the strength of a cigar but it may or may not improve the taste. If you find a cigar that you like the taste of but it's just a little too strong for you then age them and see if you like them. If you don't like it in the first place then aging may not help you.

+1

ive found the 5 vegas gold maddy to be mild to me. try laying them down for a bit.

ApexAZ
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.