PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting?

Flounder
11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey guys. Sorry for my absence as late, school has been kicking my ass the past 10 weeks. But I have a question for all of you, and specifically the college guys.

How the hell do you budget to buy cigars? Over the summer I was working full time, and it was no big deal. And I am not running low by any means, I went from having 50-60 stick down to about 20 since school started. I want to start buying again, but I just cant find the moneys.What do you guys do to budget it out?

Emjaysmash
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I dont buy cigars. LOL. All the money from my two jobs goes to pay for groceries and odd bills. Also, I don't smoke nearly as often. (MAYBE once a month)

My suggestion to you is to sign up for all the newsletters and deals from the online retailers. They usually have a deal in every e-mail they send.

Also, I would try cigarbid and cigarsatyourprice. Oh, and the WTS/B forums here.

ApexAZ
11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm not in school full time, but my strategy right now is to find cigars I like in the $2 - $3 range that I can smoke in between the more expensive ones. I'm sure that because I'm so new to the cigar world that my palette hasn't developed as much as some of the more seasoned smokers out there, but I have found several very affordable cigars that I like as much as a $5 - $10 stick. This is also allowing me to slowly accumulate more expensive cigars, while I smoke cheaper ones. After a year or so of accumulation, it's just a matter of replacing a rotating stock. If I didn't have a wedding and several vacations planned next year, I'd have a few grand to dump, but I just don't right now.

Flounder
11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Good call, I forgot the WTB/S forums. I dont smoke a lot, I went a few months with it at all, but now that finals are wrapping up I want to smoke more, but dont want to run out.

I mean, over the summer I would get home from work, sit out back with a cigar and read. Everyday.

Blak Smyth
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I have tight funds right now but was able to jump on this great deal:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1474258#post1474258

J0eybb
11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I hate great Deals! haha

Flounder
11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a maduro guy, and I hated the Brazil at first, it grew on me by the end of the cigar though. I am generally a CAO fan. The deal is sold out, but I am pretty much flat broke at the moment anyways.

ApexAZ
I hate great Deals! haha

Me too. Great deal...BUYBUYBUY!

Blak Smyth
I hate great Deals! haha

:r so does my wife!:r

J0eybb
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
:r so does my wife!:r

:r

qsalinas
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
When you figure it out let me know cause I'm spending $400-$600 a month on cigars. Not to mention all the money I have to spend on the wifey to keep her from saying something about my cigars. :confused:

Blak Smyth
11-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Can you take out a student loan for cigar money, call it a "student stress relief fund"?

MurphysLaw
11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm in college full time. I pick out what I want, save up the money, and buy it. Just have to resist buying stuff on impulse.

irratebass
11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Have you thought about CI's Cigar Of The Month club, starts at $20 for 4 sticks & $30 for 8 sticks, they say they never send the same stick and they promise no dog rockets. This is the route I am going after the cc is paid off.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/comc.asp?cat=21

Emjaysmash
11-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Have you thought about CI's Cigar Of The Month club, starts at $20 for 4 sticks & $30 for 8 sticks, they say they never send the same stick and they promise no dog rockets. This is the route I am going after the cc is paid off.

I'd stay away from that if it was me. :2

J0eybb
11-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd stay away from that if it was me. :2

Same

maninblack
11-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree with MJ. Those cigar of the month clubs are a joke. Its an easy way for company's to dump crappy sticks that don't sell. As far as budgeting goes, I do not know what that word means. I'm an addict.

LigaPrivadaT84
11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Cigar of the Month Clubs are a great way for retailers to get rid of excess, often unwanted, inventory.
I cannot speak for CI's club specifically, but have heard this from BOTLs who join cigar clubs time and time again.

No longer in college now, but my old habits of daily browsing of deal sites still live on today.
:tu

pektel
11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Budget?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

****Breath*****

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHHA!

Funny guy! :lr

pektel
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Seriously though. If I don't have money for cigars, I don't buy them. Maybe start smoking a pipe or something. That's cheaper per session than cigars.

Chainsaw13
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
There's always the cheap smoke thread: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643

Some decent bundles can be had for pretty cheap.

biggbob
11-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I have a pipe that I go to occasionally. It is the only way that I enjoy flavored baccy. It also is easier to smoke in the car when its raining and i cant open a window.... and i dont burn my pants as much from dropped ashes either.

irratebass
11-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Hmmm u guys are really against the COM clubs. I know IndyRob is a member and I have seen his sticks so now I'm on the fence.

poker
11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Cigar budgeting =
http://www.credit-cards.co.za/images/Credit-Cards-Visa_20110603579.5186.jpg
:D

maninblack
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Cigar budgeting =
http://www.credit-cards.co.za/images/Credit-Cards-Visa_20110603579.5186.jpg
:D

Don't forget Discover!

rebelknight
11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Get a cheaper meal plan. You'll enjoy the cigars more anyway.

Seriously tho I'm in college too and i understand what you mean. Basically i just cut spending and save up some money. Once i have enough to buy something i want, doesn't only include cigars, and i have enough set aside for rent and bills I will buy it.

yourchoice
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4941

There are some tasty inexpensive smokes out there. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. :2

Bax
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM

I'd avoid this also and save your cash for samplers on the WTS boards. :tu

Drez
11-16-2011, 04:35 PM
what i do is put aside 10-25 bucks everytime i get paid so that every month i can pick up a couple 5ers or every couple months i can get a box.

the way i look at that is if i make my coffee at home and take a cup to work thats 3 bucks i save at starbucks or if you eat at home thats 7-10 bucks you saved from getting fast food.

DaBear
11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
the way i look at that is if i make my coffee at home and take a cup to work thats 3 bucks i save at starbucks or if you eat at home thats 7-10 bucks you saved from getting fast food.

Was just about to post the same sorta deal.

In order to make some room in the ol budget for smokes I generally never eat out, and curb my drinking(I have a beer or two every now and then). That said with work and class constraints some times I'm forced to grab a bite somewhere out of lack of time to cook. And then I wallow in my tears as I think of what stick that meal could have bought me. :r

Also, I generally know how much free cash I'll have available right after I get my paycheck, I go ahead and budget that stuff out so I don't over spend. That said, I have managed to learn a good bit of self control by not walking out of work with another stick or two, I typically only restock with a 5er at most from work once a week.

maninblack
11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Sell plasma and semen. Easy cigar money.:r

Drez
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM

:lr:lr:lr

DaBear
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM

never allowing a needle near my arm after my last experience with nurses trying to draw blood. I shudder just thinking about it

maninblack
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Selling semen is much easier. And much more fun.

Drez
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Selling semen is much easier. And much more fun.

but what happens when 15 years from now you get some guy or girl on your door step calling you dad.........:r

maninblack
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I already have. Lol

Drez
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
I already have. Lol

:lr

but back on topic now lol

try putting away 20 bucks everytime you get paid or money. after you form the habit your good. :tu

ApexAZ
11-16-2011, 07:09 PM

:r

CrzyMtnMan
11-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I picked up cigars when I turned the legal age in my state. I visited my local B&M and picked up a single, soon I was there once a week giving something else a try, then one day I purchased a lighter, then one day purchase my first humidor. Once I went to college my 20 count desktop was stocked with really good cigars that I enjoyed or was waiting to try. Upon arrival to a new town I found, by chance, a really good B&M in said town, and keeping the same philosophy I have today, always pick up a single no matter what B&M I go to. I guess more through networking I got to know the owner, attended events, always purchased a single when there and things developed. I learned then what fellowship came with cigars, and made many friends.

Long story short, I never thought about stock at home, just stopped in to chat with my friends at the B&M in college, smoke a stick at the shop, and bring one back to try another day. Upon graduation I kept the same tradition, moving back home and going to work, although soon I found myself buying boxes of cigars I enjoyed, built an inventory, and then life took over and did not visit as much.

In the past two years, I found myself getting married, adopting a dog, and planning for my family. I still wonder in to my local B&M pick up a few sticks, catch up on old times, and head out.

To put a time on this, I started smoking cigars in 1995, I have three humidors packed full of cigars, smoke one a day on average, but have made countless friends. I have even met a few over time that do not understand the concept of a personal humidor, when they want a cigar they head down to the B&M and pick one up, I have learned as much from them as I have from those who have humidors at home. I am still a newb on this forum, I just enjoy reading, however the college post such as yourself, makes me thing about my story, thanks for reading.

N2 GOLD
11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
You're in college, cut the full meal & replace with "CUP O'NOODLES" that allows more of the budget for cigars...

bobarian
11-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Buy less weed-more cigars! :banger

kingcobradude
11-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Get a cheaper meal plan. You'll enjoy the cigars more anyway.

Seriously tho I'm in college too and i understand what you mean. Basically i just cut spending and save up some money. Once i have enough to buy something i want, doesn't only include cigars, and i have enough set aside for rent and bills I will buy it.
same here. also get one of those one gallon cider jugs and put your loose change in it at the end of the day and dont take money out of it. when that thing fills up theres like 3 or 4 hundred dollars for cigars

Drez
11-16-2011, 08:56 PM

:r:r:r

Flounder
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Hard to buy less weed...

CoreyD
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
i know plasma here in wi if you live in a city that has a plasma bank brings in 40-60 a week if you go twice depending on what their giving for visits, that helped me before my body rejected getting the blood back in. and my veins are a hassle so it became a hassle. As far as budgeting a lot of places have great deals sometimes you can pick up good sticks or sample packs of 20 or so for 39- 59 dollars and free fall auctions sometimes you can pick up a 10er for 25 so u get a box for 50.Since I work for a non profit my cigar buying goes pick up some good stuff on sale or when its a good price beit a 5er here or there or 10er than get the budget lesser smokes or deals to smoke daily when I feel the need to. For the little over a year I have been in this hobby I have been able to keep anywhere to 100-400 cigars that way.

Sonic04GT
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm unemployed right now so most of the cigars I purchase are from the irresistible deals that pop up occasionally, most under $20.

I start flight school/college in January so we'll see what happens then. I don't think I'll change my habits as I'll only have a small income coming from the VA monthly for "housing allowance" which is basically cash in pocket as I'm staying with my father for those 2 years since he's close to the school.

I need to put as much of that as possible into my savings so I think I'll still be on a very tight cigar budget. I only smoke 2-3 times a week anyway.

I'd like to get a part time job while in school but I need to focus 100% of my time on training. Going to be no easy task.

Flounder
11-17-2011, 12:25 AM
My biggest wish is that we had a B & M that was legit, the only places we have that cell legit cigars are just head shops that sell bongs and bowls, always feel awkward in there, and all the employees are just stoners/ hipsters.

Crownedone
11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
When you figure it out let me know cause I'm spending $400-$600 a month on cigars. Not to mention all the money I have to spend on the wifey to keep her from saying something about my cigars. :confused:

Budget?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

****Breath*****

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHHA!

Funny guy! :lr

Im with these guys....When I started smoking cigars I did not need a budget. I was a 1/2 a week I would pick them up on friday and smoke them that weekend.

Two things happened short time after that, (1) I began to really love cigars, thanks to Litto Gomez. (2) My income took a dramatic increase. My smoking increased to 2/3 a day nice stuff most of the time. No budget needed making good money.
Unfortunately nothing stays the same now income reduced by drastic amounts but I still love to smoke 1/2 a day. I can no longer smoke premiums every day so I go for the $1-3 smokes, bundles, cbid, with a premium or 2 on the weekends.
In order to not hurt the family budget I look for ways to make an extra buck here and there. Like moving freinds, scaping old junk, stuff I can due on an weekend afternoon etc...it adds up quick.
There are alot of econimical smokes out there some great, some not. I know, I have smoke hundreds of them and will smoke humdreds more.

Be creative.

poker
11-18-2011, 08:56 AM
My biggest wish is that we had a B & M that was legit, the only places we have that cell legit cigars are just head shops that sell bongs and bowls, always feel awkward in there, and all the employees are just stoners/ hipsters.

...and you're there how often per week? :r

rebelknight
11-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Have you checked out the Havana house in penfield? I haven't but i hear there selection isn't bad.

Flounder
11-29-2011, 11:43 AM
...and you're there how often per week? :r

Haven't been there in a few months... rarely go. I haven't purchased anything since august and it was all online. So probably July was my last visit.

Have you checked out the Havana house in penfield? I haven't but i hear there selection isn't bad.

I forgot about that, a buddy of mine from work was talking about it a few weeks ago, might have to make the trip out there from RIT.

rebelknight
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I forgot about that, a buddy of mine from work was talking about it a few weeks ago, might have to make the trip out there from RIT.

Yea it's about 7 minutes from my parents house. I'll be in town for about 3 weeks in december so if you're looking for someone to smoke with shoot me a pm

Flounder
11-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Yea it's about 7 minutes from my parents house. I'll be in town for about 3 weeks in december so if you're looking for someone to smoke with shoot me a pm

Sounds good, you off to school or what? I get 3 weeks in December myself.

BlkDrew
11-30-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm in Rochester also, if you are ever short, let me know. I have some spares. Plus I can always roll you one haha

Flounder
11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm in Rochester also, if you are ever short, let me know. I have some spares. Plus I can always roll you one haha

I might take you up on a self rolled.. I've always wanted to try one. We'll keep you in the loop if we do get together this December.

rebelknight
11-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Yea. Grew up in penfield. Went to mcquaid. Now I'm at ohio state.

Flounder
12-01-2011, 09:11 AM
When did you graduate from McQ? I have a few friends that went there.

rebelknight
12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
When did you graduate from McQ? I have a few friends that went there.

2008. Who do you know? It's a pretty small school so I might know them even if they didn't graduate in 08

Flounder
12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I am acquainted with August Wright, Adam Hecht grew up next door (Was McQ until 9th or 10th grade), I know William Markert relatively well (Sr this year).

rebelknight
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
August Wright is the only one that sounds familiar and I didn't know him that well, just saw him around school.