PDA

View Full Version : The Devils Advocate

area51
11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Let's have a discussion one because I'm bored and two curious on peoples opinions. I find cigar smokers fall into one of three categories. The first they smoke cigars they know and love, that's it they don't care what hits the market they are stuck with one cigar or just a handful. The second is the typical cigar asylum smoker, they want to get their hands on everything they can. Try every cigar and will smoke just about anything once. The third that I am seeing more of at least at my B&M is the all for show smoker. Now don't take me the wrong way, but it seems like this smoker only wants to smoke the rare and expensives. They seem to pass anything that isn't the in cigar at the time, I also see this smoker through online communites.

Now that we have these catergories, be honest who do you think the cigar industy is catering to most? It seems that every cigar I see now adays carrys an MSRP of above $10 and a limited quanity. Why is this? Is it the thrill of finding that hard to get cigar or the bragging rights? Does the industry realize that people thrive on this thrill?

Lastly where do you see the industry going?

Hope I didn't step on anyones toes.

maninblack
11-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I would say I fall into category #2. Yes I like premium smokes just like the next guy, but I'm happy with sub-$10 smokes or even sub-$5 smokes. If I did it for attention, I'd live in a town with more BOTL's to hang around with, but I'm not like that. I smoke whatever is in my bidget and whatever catches my eye at the moment. I will smoke almost anything once, almost. And it appears as if the industry is appealing to those who like the premium to ultra premium smokes, but thats because those are the companies getting all the advertising space and the media coverage. I don't smoke cigars because the ads look cool, I smoke them because I like them and because I trust the opinions of the brothers and sisters here. Many people here share my tastes in smokes and that makes it easy to try smokes.

Bill86
11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
I've also seen a stem off number 3 or you could call it number 4. The "I don't usually smoke cigars but I want people to think I'm some elitist, classy, well to do rich dude because I am smoking a cigar in public".

Go to a few wine tastings (or end up working them unintentionally in my case) and you'll see these guys, lots of them too. I feel like calling them out, but it's a waste of my time and I'm usually working.

Easy to spot because they are wearing a suit to a wine tasting for $8-$10 bottle of wine and seen smoking some random $5 cigar no one has ever heard of that they only smoke 1-1.5 inches off of and pitch it (it can't be good). They talk about politics and the economy and all that nonsense just to seem like they are important. These people must be dead inside.

According to your categories I don't fit in any of these. I have more than a handful in variety. I don't chase any cigar and don't feel at all I have to get every new thing that comes out. I'm not a "for show" smoker either as most of the cigars I smoke fit in the $4-$12 range. I just buy stuff I like and smoke it :sh

I wouldn't say the industry is headed one way either. I've seen plenty of each category everywhere. There are the ones in the know and the ones that just like to burn $20+ sticks, even if they don't finish them, to say WOW this is good (even if it isn't).

hammondc
11-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I fall into #1. I try different stuff on occasion, but typically stick to a hand full of smokes that I know are always good.

Mutombo
11-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I think I fall somewhere between 1 and 2. I know what I like, but really enjoy trying the new stuff. I won't blindly try every new cigar on the market, but mostly focus on the new stuff from brands that I know I've enjoyed in the past.

area51
11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I can honestly see cigars going the way of designer jeans or anything else that basically tells its consumers what to buy. Its kind of scary.

area51
11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Glad no one is offended haha.

Blak Smyth
11-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't feel like I fit into any category.
I do want to try everything I can get my hands on and decide what I think tastes bad, okay, good or great!
I am atracted by HTF stuff but don't only want that.
I don't care about the price of sticks, if it is good it doesn't matter (The cheaper the better though of course).

I can't comment much on the industry because I haven't been smoking long enough to know the difference now compared to five years ago.
It seems to me that owners of cigar companies are getting younger though.

I haven't yet met a Gurkha I like, I find more pleasure bashing them than I do smoking them. I do find bands attractive maybe thats one reason I don't like the brand, I feel they misled me with their flashy ways!

I do try to get my favorite cigars again and again but not limited to those.
Maybe I am too much of a newb to fit into any category. Maybe the 6th category is Newb!

NCRadioMan
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Somker 1 is the typical cigar consumer and are the vast majority of smokers.

Smoker 2 is us. The small, well informed cigar communities that keep track of the industry.

Smoker 3 could be either/or and even both 1 & 2.

:2

bobarian
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I dont fall into any of your categories, I know what I like and smoke about 80% Cubans. But I like to try most of the new things my local B&M gets in. Both to support their business and so I have an idea what is going on in the market.

Typically the cigar industry goes to the money. Today that is the casual, weekend smoker. That's why brands like Macanudo and Rocky Patel are such big sellers.

$10 and up is the super premium market and is a very small percentage of the actual market, but probably a large percent of the members here. Most of the casual smokers have never heard of Illusione, Tatuaje or Pepin. :2

LasciviousXXX
11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
In all honesty I fall into the 2nd and 3rd categories. I try and track down everything I can and try a vast assortment of smokes so that I will find new cigars that I love as well as continue to smoke the old stand by cigars. I will even try smokes that I didn't care for multiple times to see if it was due to the box or year or some other factor.

However, in the last couple years I made it a point to try and track down as many rare and HTF cigars as I could. For two reasons, I wanted to try some of the more elusive smokes and because some of them are just that much better than regular production smokes because of age/quality etc.

There is a certain mystique and prestige that comes with cigar smoking and I think the cigar companies cater to that. However, they know where their bread is buttered. I would venture to say that most of their revenue comes from smokers who don't have much knowledge about different cigars and just walk into a B&M and pick something off the shelves.

sevans105
11-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I'd say I was a #2 but a cheapskate. I'll drop $$$ on a box or two of super premiums once a quarter or so, but for the most part, my humidor is a motley collection of samplers, 5-ers, trades and bomb recipients. I have everything from 50 cent sticks all the way through super super premium Cubans, with a heavier weighting towards the low middle end - $5 to $10 sticks. I try lots of stuff and am surprised (both good and bad). There are some pretty decent $2 sticks and some $20 dog rockets. (I'm talking to you Gurkha). I've got about 1500 sticks and it truly looks schizophrenic in there.

I love to try new sticks...my favorites are sticks that change up their flavors IN the smoke itself. Guess I'm just a bit ADD that way.

As for the market movements, I agree with bobarian. Industry follows the money. Right now the money is in fun names, limited releases and large ring gauges. I'm sure over time, that will arc and we'll see more of a return to traditional looking labels and smaller ring gauges. Like most things, there is an ebb and flow to fashion and "what's in". Cigars are the same.

Volusianator
11-11-2011, 01:19 PM
#1 here

That being said, if a new cigar comes out in a line of cigars I already enjoy, I'll give it a try. Take for instance the Tatuaje Capa Especial, never had that one, but I enjoy Tatuaje so I gave it a try, and now it's in my regular rotation.

In addition, I'm more apt to try new Nicaraguans as I tend to like them more than the rest.

#2 is the last thing that would describe me, I don't have much interest in trying every cigar out there.

#3 partial but not because I could care less what people think of what I'm smoking, but I do have a bit of an Opus addiction

E.J.
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Well.....

I am not really a 1, because I will try new things and seek them out. That said, I have certain cigars that I always have on hand.

I am not a 2, because there are a lot of cigars that I have no interest in buying or even trying.

I am not a 3, because I will smoke cigars that are not rare or expensive(that is kind of a relative term?). That said, I want all the great rare cigars that I can acquire.

So maybe a hybrid 1/3...:confused:

area51
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
When I started smoking , I was very much number 3 going after the expensive and hyped cigars. Now with the state of the cigar industry and the trend I'm seeing. I stick with what I love and I don't try many new things. I don't know I guess the thrill is gon.

SteelCityBoy
11-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I think I am too new to fall into any 1 specific category.

I am at a point right now where I am trying to get my hands on anything I think I would like, yet I am gravitating towards what I am hearing I should try or what others have described in ways that I know I would like.

My top 5 smokes list seems to constantly change as I try new things. It will be a while before I have my absolute go to cigar list.

No matter what though, I always see myself as someone that may have their favorites but will still try anything. It is really just who I am.

area51
11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Great discussion guys.

MrClean
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm with Shane, I'm too new to this hobby to say where I fall, I definitely like to try anything I can get my hands on. I have been lucky, I joined here early on so I really haven't experienced what I consider a 'bad' stick. Some have definitely been better than others.
I have a few (what I consider) expensive sticks, I know there are a lot more expensive ones out there and I'm not sure what I'm saving them for but I just can't bring myself to smoke them yet. :r
I've never had a CC, but eventually I will, but for now I'm sticking to the NC's to sort out what a do and don't like.

taltos
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Somker 1 is the typical cigar consumer and are the vast majority of smokers.

Smoker 2 is us. The small, well informed cigar communities that keep track of the industry.

Smoker 3 could be either/or and even both 1 & 2.

:2I am a number 1 and after 40 years of smoking cigars have found several that I like and can afford. I will never be like the majority of this board and chase the latest and greatest from Pepin, I am content with Oliva and Perdomo. It seems like you are putting down those who don't chase the newest stuff out there as being uninformed smokers instead of regarding us as being content.

RevSmoke
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
#1 predominantly

I know what I like and usually stick to them.

However, I like to try new stuff. Cost isn't the reason though, "Ooooo, that's a $40 stick, I gotta try me one of those," doesn't even get a rise out of me. Sometimes I want to try a new stick because the maker has made other which I've liked in the past and some of them are sitting in the humidor. Other things I've never heard of I may want to try because someone who's tastebuds I trust and are similar to mine, likes that cigar.

Just because I try it though, doesn't mean it will become a part of my humidor. To find a place in my humidor, a cigar has to "wow" me, it needs to offer something that I really enjoy and can find in no other cigar.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

area51
11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Nice nice

sikk50
11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
2, I could careless what people see me smoking

gator_79
11-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd say I'm somewhere in between #1 and #2. I always keep a nice stock of my tried and true cigars. I love trying new sticks but I have to admit that some just don't interest me. I don't like the super strong sticks, and I don't spend a lot of time chasing after the HTF ones. I will say that most of what I smoke CC's and NC's alike are in the $5to $12 range.

pkny1
09-19-2013, 08:22 PM
How about a #4?

I get on the forum, wait for you guys to be the guinea pigs.. see if you rave about it.. then I try it and see if I like it... ;)

No number 4? I'll be the number 2 then!

OldWestChris
10-22-2013, 02:38 PM
I definitely fall into category 2. I enjoy reading reviews and posts from other cigar smokers to see what they like, especially reviews that detail the quality and flavor of the cigar. I enjoy savoring the flavors of different cigars, similar to enjoying a bar that serves many international and small label beers. You are going to hate some of the cigars, some are OK, and then you hit those few fabulous smokes.

Those fabulous smokes are the ones I keep in my larger humidor for regular smoking, but I keep a smaller humidor with a variety of cigars to sample. I think that humidor has about 15 different labels in it right now. I guess I had better go smoke one and count.

Where do you guys find the best cigar reviews? Do you prefer here on the forum, or on sites like Cigar Inspector, Cigar Aficionado, Puff, or other sites?