PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle Fire

wavescrashing
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Is anyone getting this? This is probably the first time I didn't test drive an electronic product before I bought it. The specs, reviews, Amazon Cloud, and cost kinda sold me. It comes out on 15 Nov.

larryinlc
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Since I got one of those HP Touchpads, I'm set for a little while. But, if I wanted an inexpensive tablet, I would look at the new Barnes & Noble Nook

http://www.pocketables.net/2011/11/barnes-noble-nook-tablet-official-boasts-awesomeness-for-250.html

wavescrashing
11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Since I got one of those HP Touchpads, I'm set for a little while. But, if I wanted an inexpensive tablet, I would look at the new Barnes & Noble Nook

http://www.pocketables.net/2011/11/barnes-noble-nook-tablet-official-boasts-awesomeness-for-250.html

The thing with the Nook is, other than storage space, spec sheets can be deceiving. I'll use this more for reading, apps, and work-related stuff than movies, so I don't consider the space a big enough positive to jump ship. The Amazon proprietary SILK web browser and application handling on the re-vamped Android 2.X have accomplished what the Ipad has already proven. Larger hardware specs (i.e 1 GB of RAM over 512MB) is only as good as the programmers, developers, and software engineers allow it to be. In hands-on tests, The Fire has proven speedier in short-term tests. Only time will tell in long term. The other thing I have to give the nod to the Nook on, is the 11 hour Battery life as opposed to the Fire's 9. The application availability (and overall hackability from preliminary tests) goes to the Fire.

I do, however, believe that for under $250, these are both good buys.

WittyUserName
11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
I have one per-ordered as well. This will be my first tablet and I figured, if it is chit then I am only out $200. I am super excited to get it though.

Mutombo
11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm probably going to sit this one out since I've already got an ipad and a normal kindle. I'm looking forward to future iterations of the product though, I'm sure Amazon will produce a winner.

wavescrashing
11-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I have one per-ordered as well. This will be my first tablet and I figured, if it is chit then I am only out $200. I am super excited to get it though.

I think you'll be alright either way. Holiday season is among us, and you'll have a few weeks to decide if you like it or not. This thing is gonna be sought after like Tickle-me-Elmo.

SteelCityBoy
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I was looking at the Nook at a local Barnes & Noble store and was considering buying one. I want an e reader and wouldn't mind the ability to connect to the web from it as well. I don't know much about the Kindle Fire or the Nook but I do know that I want something to download books on and browse the web, that is it. No movie watching or anything like that....

With that said I don't know what direction I am going in, but I do know that I will have one of these for Christmas!

taltos
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I have the Nook First Edition and the Nook Color. With the price reductions on the Nook Color, that might be worth considering.