PDA

View Full Version : Aw Man

CigarSquid
11-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Last night, While I was heading to the store, and then to enjoy a Excalibur 1066 looking over the Valley, my wife calls me, as soon as a park and cut the cigar.

She tells me in a panic voice, 'I think some water pipe has broke!'

I ask her, Well, How do you know. She said, She was in the shower, Heard a loud noise and the shower stopped. Downstairs water is all over the place.

I smash home, in a rush, planning for the worse.

I get home. She ran across the street to get the neighbors help to turn the main source of water off.

The entry way and downstairs rooms' entry way have a good 1/4 inch of water on the tile. Water is dripping from the air vent in the ceiling, water is coming out of the walls in the garage and outside by the front door.

We had to move all the boxes, dry it all up, using towels, comforters and a shop vac.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, but not something you want to happen for the weekend, or at all. Her birthday is today as well.

I call my insurance right away, to get a claim started just in case.

I know nothing about plumbing, so I have to find someone to come out, see where it has busted. Need to see if I would rather use insurance or tackle this on my own. My dad is only 2 hours away and has done construction all his life... Maybe a job for him.

I will have a guy come out and asses the damage. This morning, It doesn't look to bad. Walls/sheet rock still feel solid and no color change.

Hard to take a shower when it is 30-40 degrees here in Southern Oregon with only cold water.

AMAZINGLY, I held my composure and did not flip out. A real shocker for me. I did however, end up enjoying the 1066 while things were drying out.

Let's see how the rest of the weekend goes... Since it didn't start to good.

SteelCityBoy
11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Best of luck with that crazy situation! I find it pretty awesome though that you still made time for a smoke! Gotta find the positives in everything right? I think that the insurance should cover most if not all of that for you anyway. Just sucks to have to deal with...

Take care!

irratebass
11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Hope all works out for you man, that sucks. Happy birthday Mrs. Garry lol

MrClean
11-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Not a good way to start the weekend Garry, hope it all gets resolved quickly and relatively painless. I too like the fact that you managed to work in the smoke.

kelmac07
11-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear Garry. Love how you didn't miss a beat with enjoying that stick. :tu :tu

E.J.
11-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Ouch, not a great way to start a weekend....but happy to hear that it sounds like you caught it early, before too much damage could be done.

Here's to a good rest of your weekend & happy birthday to Mrs. garryyjr!

Remo
11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
That sucks man, hope it all works out ok.

MurphysLaw
11-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Dealt with a couple floods of my own last month, hope you get it resolved soon!

CigarSquid
11-06-2011, 07:58 AM
All fixed.. I had a buddy who had a buddy who does plumbing. We ended up cutting two holes, On was in a closet. He seen where the pipe was. He had to cut another one in the ceiling as soon as you enter the front door.

There it was. A band/clamp had cracked causing the elbow to come out and spray like crazy.

Insurance wanted the $500.00 deductible, other company's wanted 150/hr on Saturday, 200/hr Sunday and 100/hr Monday.

Due to it being a side job, I got it done for 120.00 TOTAL. All I have to do now it patch the Sheetrock. No biggie.

Man was it nice to take a warm shower!

Also, Why it was being done I enjoyed a Gran Habano Azteca Fuerte. Those are pretty good.

MrClean
11-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Nice, $120 is an awesome price. It's good to have friends in the business! Glad to hear you got it taken care of.

CigarSquid
11-06-2011, 08:44 AM
No kidding, even at 200, it saved me 300.. Still money for beers and cigars on this lovely football Sunday!

E.J.
11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Good on you!